HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4A Girls Rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: 4A Girls Rankings   Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:30 pm

With the new rankings coming out on Thursday anyone want to try to guess what they might be?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:46 pm

1. Chinook
2. Cardston
3. BOB
4.Catholic Central
5. Aberhart
6.Raymond
7.Churchhill
8.Ainlay
9.Spruce Grove
10.Centennial
HM. ABJ,ST. Mary, Facey,OLeary,Western
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:29 pm

St. Albert High is the best team in the province by 20 + points, lucky for the 4A schools that they are playing down in 3A. They are beating teams in metro by 30 to 60 points- unreal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:47 am

Our scores are a bit misleading I believe as teams getting started have some difficulty dealing with initial pressure but learn during the course of the season. I do believe that the top teams in 3A can easily compete with the top 4A teams this year (top 3A would be St. Albert, McCoy and Chestermere) with others in 3A giving a solid run at 4A schools. Lots of teams being hit by injury bug this year as well - early - we were not, but now have suffered 2 major injuries (starting post (internal) and first off bench - broken thumb) so that puts pressure on the rest. February will be a huge month to see where teams stack up - Calgary teams are up in our tournament (BOB, Chestermere) and we are in Spruce Groves tournament in Feb (Cardston, SWC, Chestermere, McCoy, St. Albert, BevFac, ABJ, and Spruce).

I'd be interested to hear what others are saying about the level of girls basketball this year compared to the last few. I think we are in a down cycle in general (also according to ACAC / CIS coaches who are recruiting) with many of the best athletes / players on teams actually being in grade 10. We have 5 grade 10s and never in a million years did I think I would have a team like that. Spruce Groves' talent is also young. Thoughts?

Mights also be interesting to see where the top teams fit together - combine 2a / 3a / 4a and see if we could come up with a top 10 list... just for sh*ts and giggles. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chinesse_Baller

PostSubject: 4A Girls   Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:02 pm

I do beleive that this year is a downward turn for the talent in girls basketball. I also believe that St.Albert and Mccoy have build a very good reputation in there programs, thats why i think that they should have moved up to 4A. I think that they have accomplished so much in the 3A level that now its time to see what they can do at the upper level with the bigger schools. We all know that you can win and dominate at the 3A level you have done that. I do beleive that the 3A teams are a bit stronger than 4A this yr. I seen cardston women and they are very good. chestemere wasn't that impressive. I haven't had the chance to see McCoy play this yr but i assume like st.albert there good every year. As for 3A i beleive the top 3 hold to there ranking but after that i beleive its anyones game. Edwinn parr has been playing very well and same with edmonton christian. So there is #4 and #5. But highwood is bad,wetaskwin lost, mornville lost. St peter should be in the top 10. As for 4A BOB,Cardston, Centineal, SWC, . Edmonton's 4A girls are not very good there hasn't been a dominant pressence. ABJ is doing well, Ainaly is Big and very deep. This will make for an intresting yr in basketball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:35 pm

I'd love to hear opinions on 3A vs 4A - McCoy just beat Cardston by 5 and then lost to Chinook by 5 - both those teams will be in the top 5 4A for sure. We have not played top 5 teams but have played ABJ, Bev Facey, Oleary, SWC, EP Scarlett and won. My question is this. We (SACHS) play in largely a 4A league (we are the only 3A school) so declaring 4A would not change that. We have gotten invites in the past to 4A tournaments (REB, Tri-Prov, Spruce Grove, Centennial) but have never been invited South. Other than 1 extra "good" game in the final provincial tournament (assuming we would be top 4 in 3A and get a bye for first round game) - what does that get us? To say we need to "play the best" is a moot point since I believe we already do to a large extent. In the USA, in a lot of states you are not allowed to opt up - for state finals. You can play in tournaments but once regional and state tournaments start you are placed in your designated division. Just food for thought!
Lets hear it!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chinesse_Baller

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:24 pm

Here is the thing even though your playing the best, when it comes to 3A its like a walk in the park for you. St.Albert has dominated in 3A provincials for quite sometime. eventually your legacy will be questioned as "can they do it in 4A". Sure during season and tournaments you play the better teams but at the end of the day the better teams want a provincial title. You have accomplished this, many times. Sooner or later no one will care what your doing in 3A but will question what could they have done in 4A. Raymond is a prime example, They play up in 4A, so does ABJ why won't st.albert take the jump? Also we don't live in the states so lets try to keep or examples more regional.

Lastly through the game of telephone doesn't your program "recruit" players to attend SACHS? Again just a question as from down south this is the rumour,maybe why you haven't been invited.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:38 pm

I believe that ABJ plays up in 4A to avoid having to play SACHS but I could be wrong. Noone has been able to do what the Skyhawks have done and will continue to do. They have a legit chance to win 6 3A titles in a row, given that their team in made up mostly of grade tens and elevens, with quality players coming up through the club system. Injuries will be the main stumbling block, but if healthy, they have a great chance to win this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chinesse_Baller

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:45 am

I don't disagree with the fact they have build a program there. They can also win 6 provincials championships but they won't be having any team standing in there way. McCoy has proven to be a challenge for SACHS at times. As i believe they will continue to be. But to win uncontested at 3A or have a challenge ahead of you to compete with 4A. Again its like anything else, SACHS will continue to dominate at 3A. If there this spectacular team that everyone says they are why don't they make the move up? After awhile this team will become boring to listen to cause there beating the same bad teams in 3A all the time. Well if that makes you fell good then continue to do so. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:23 am

And so it begins... gotta love rumor and accusations coming annonymous or acronym based posters. I would challenge people (and I know there are others who read but chose not to comment because of this) to be an informed critic and then say who and where you're from! Some good points which I will answer honestly.
Here would be my response Chinese-Baller;

[color=red]"Here is the thing even though your playing the best, when it comes to 3A its like a walk in the park for you. You should check the actual scores of the semis & finals. I think Magrath (beat them by Cool and McCoy would be insulted to suggest that this was a walk in the park. The fact that Camrose, who played McCoy even through 3 quarters last year, then run out of gas and then for McCoy to lose to us by 4 would suggest a fair bit of parity in the top 5 or 6 3A schools - no different if you look @ 4A (remove the Harry Ainley Plouffe sisters domination...)
St.Albert has dominated in 3A provincials for quite sometime. eventually your legacy will be questioned as "can they do it in 4A". - my honest answer would obviously be a "maybe". Would we be a top 10 team - yes. Would we have been able to compete against the HA Plouffes - no chance. Last year we lost by about 15 to Western Canada holding them to an all-time low in scoring. It would have had to be a perfect storm for us to beat them. Here's a bit of FYI as well - we had 21 girls tryout TOTAL for basketball in our school. I kept 10, our jr. team kept 11. We are not some massive basketball machine that churns out big numbers (go ahead, start the Raymond / Cardston comparison here...)
- "legacy"... who determines this and please point out a coach whose purpose in coaching is to leave behind some sort of shrine. At the end of the day, kids will remember their successes and failures along with their families and I will guarantee you that a banner of any nature will resonate with school spirit and player memories. My "legacy" is to see how many kids I can push to the next level (CIS/ACAC) and playing 3A/4A has no impact on that. My "legacy" will be to ensure that as many kids as possible get to experience a "provincial" tournament during the course of their high school career. Could we go to 4A and most likely advance out of Edmonton area - sure. But there will always be cut-off experienced by kids / families who will lose a chance for possibly challenging for a banner experience. I'd like to think there were also some 4A schools last year (Paul Kane for example) whose players got to go to provincials (in the south I believe) and experience that atmosphere who may not have qualified had we opted up.
Sure during season and tournaments you play the better teams but at the end of the day the better teams want a provincial title. - coaches might, however I would argue if you asked a kid if they could chose between hanging a banner or qualifying for provincials for their school vs simply "getting there" (or not) and about what they'll remember, kids will remember if they played a team, how they did but they won't care when it was..

You have accomplished this, many times. Sooner or later no one will care what your doing in 3A but will question what could they have done in 4A. Raymond is a prime example - ton of respect for their program along with Cardston. I'm going to play devil's advocate... 6 4a South teams, 3 make provincials and a 4th if they host. 7 3A schools, 2 make provincials (if they get a wildcard). You could make the argument that it's easier to make 4A provincials coming out of the south, than 3A.

They play up in 4A, so does ABJ - their population over the last 6 years or so was 4A. Last year they could have opted down to 3A however, with a new school (in this year), they anticipate being back up to 4A population wise and yes, there is discussion between us as to where SACHS plans to play. That's the reality of it.
why won't st.albert take the jump?
Also we don't live in the states so lets try to keep or examples more regional. - this is just an ignorant comment. My purpose was to show relevance and compare other examples of how things are done. I'm hoping that came through to everyone else...

Lastly through the game of telephone doesn't your program "recruit" players to attend SACHS?
This is one I love... first off I must be horrible since until this year I didn't have a player over 5'8 so in theory I really needed a big...if by recruit you mean..
* offer a free education and the opportunity for the student to pay for themselves and go on an international trip every 2 years (Cuba, Phoenix and Hawaii - last 4 years) plus attend decent tournaments around the province - then yes, I offer that.
* attend 20-30 jr high games wearing SACHS clothing in the hopes of RETAINING players that are in our district and/or attracting others in St. Albert to inquire about our school and basketball program - then yes I do that since from grade 9-10, open boundaries exist and students / parents are free to make a CHOICE. Keep in mind all high schools in St. Albert are within 10 mins of each other, with busing to all. I have lost VERY good players to Paul Kane because of course selections (we are a small school - less options) or because of proximity to home. Once that student chooses a high school they are off limits. Period. If you naive enough to think that this does not happening within St. Albert by other boys/girls programs or the Edmonton, Calgary, rural alberta area, your head is in the sand.
* starting a basketball academy 3 years ago, following Basketball Canada curriculum with grade 6/7's (my daughter's friends) which was open to St. Albert, Sherwood Park and Edmonton area - yes. We did fundamentals only, played no games (EYBA) until spring league at which point we attend tournaments. The bulk of these girls will NOT attend SACHS (friends, location - we had southside Edmonton, Beaumont etc.). Would I like them all to come (I know my administration would love it since we get more $$ for each kid....) YES, reality is that 80% of them will go to other schools and will become my opposition.
* run 2 spring league teams, attend 4-5 tournaments from April to June, attend a team camp in Gonzaga the last 8 years the first part of July, coach basketball camps in july, assist with zone teams, and coach with Basketball Alberta as part of Centre for Performance (2 years) and now this year as an AC with the U15 team and do most of this for the last 9 YEARS - yes guilty.
AND lastly for every coach that reads this - you know the time a REGULAR season takes away from family so I'm thankful I'm still married and my kids recognize me.
So to all the "finger pointers" that suggest success only comes from recruiting...know your stuff before you accuse.
***if by recruit, you consider that moving from the USA as a grade 10, and end up being 3A player of the year along with league MVP - than yes, I thank Kendall Lydon now playing for U of A as well as the USA/CAN - NAFTA agreement which allowed her Dad to work for TransAlta.
***if by recruit, you consider a daughter choosing to live with her father and that new location happens to be in St. Albert - than yes lucky me, as this player will be playing Post-secondary next year.
If you would like specifics - please ask specific questions. Casting vague accusations serves no purpose. And if this is why we've received no invites to Southern tourneys - so be it.

I look forward to some more possible banter Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chinesse_Baller

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:53 pm

First and foremost I think you got to offended in what was being said. Also i think no matter what you still do some recruitng. Your saying that you attend these junior high tournament wearing SACHS gear and your not recruiting theses players? There are schools out there that don't even have the luxury that you do and are able to compete and have stablity in there programs. Nobody feels sorry for you, you run a program that you have worked hard to build but also people know that there some BS in what goes on. As for not moving up i think is an excuse. Building memories is part of every kids experience. But just cause you get spanked a couple times dosen't mean you sit down and cry, you get up and fight again. Your more than cabaple to play up along with McCoy and chestemere. i just believe you take away from everybody else for being 3A. When there are 3A teams trying to get better. Which are legit 3A teams not like yourself and the other programs who can move up but choose to stay down cause it helps build there egos. Like the states i believe that once you have build a program and your one of the powerhouses you should HAVE to move up. This will make yourself and everyone better, then allowing those team to get better below and then moving up with those teams.
I didn't know about ABJ but theres a great program and its always been up in 4A. No matter what again your program will become a "what if" or a "they've done it again". Bottom line is you have done everything to build what you have, good for you, you have done great, now move on and play with the big boys. Then allow those other to reach your caliber. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:15 pm

We can agree to disagree but I will clarify again in your conjecture and suppositions;
1. Slow down and read what I put. I do attend jr high games in ST. ALBERT which is not against ANY rules and I want kids to see that I am out spending some time watching them play. If that makes them want to attend SACHS - outstanding. Too bad if other coaches don't do the same. Their loss if the deciding factor in where a kid goes to high school is based on them knowing I cared enough to go watch their junior high game.
2. Not sure what "luxury" you are referring to nor do I ask ANYONE to feel sorry for me. Quite the opposite - don't like me, but make sure it's an informed decision based on facts not rumors. If you meet me or play our team and decide I'm a jerk - no problem.
3. Once again, the "there is BS going on" - please elaborate.. I dare you.. if you can't, zip it and keep it off the forum. Plus you'd better have a really clean house yourself before casting stones. The south is no angel when it comes to player movement...
4. "which are legit 3A teams" - what the hell does that mean? Its based on population, not ability - nothing more. Again you've insulted a huge number of 3A teams. We beat Edmonton Christian by 12 and Camrose by about 10. "walk in the park" apparently.
5. Now you're referencing the USA - perhaps each state is different but the ones I know of can't force you to opt up regardless of how good you are.
6. ABJ has not always been 4A - in fact they have only been competing at the 4A level about the last 10 years. Coach Hansuk (coach before their present coach Anstice) moved them for a couple years when their population was high 3A - then they became 4A due to their population.
7. "now move on and play with the big boys"... I do.. weekly in our league, 6 tournaments a year.

I apologize to others reading for the tone.. I enjoy good opinionated banter but when it gets narrowed down to accusations that are generic in nature towards our program, I respond accordingly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach-Anstice

PostSubject: My Thoughts...   Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:23 am

Just reading through the postings and thought that maybe I should make a post and bring some clarity to this site. I’m Coach Anstice and I have been the Head Coach at ABJ for the last 5 seasons.

First off, there are some exceptional coaches in and around the Edmonton area, who have worked real hard to build very strong programs. Two of these exceptional coaches are Coach John Dedrick from SACHS and Dave Oldham from Spruce Grove, both these guys live in the gym and do all the right things in the off-season to build their programs, they put in the time… The success of their programs are not only measured by the number of championships they have won, but also by how many of those graduating kids have gone on to play at the next level and have attended post-secondary schools and have gone on to further education because of the programs that John and Dave have implemented.

Comments around John attending Jr.High Tournaments? What’s the big deal, he should, it’s important for kids to know that a coach in their area is interested in them. It’s all part of building a program. Coach Deeds was over at ABJ last weekend watching my Jr.High Scots Cup feeder tournament. He was there representing Basketball Alberta and the 2013 Provincial U15 Team and a couple weeks before that he was at the Pandas camp along with Dave Oldham. Guess what they were doing, working the camp, helping kids get better, cause that’s what they do. So I think criticizing them and their efforts is just wrong. I think the best thing to do is just try to keep up with them, I tried, but I’m just getting too dam old…

Secondly, the comment made by BBallSpirit that the ABJ Sr.Girls went to 4A to avoid having to play SACHS is a load of crap. That comment really gets my blood boiling, so here’s some of the facts about the ABJ “Jordan” Scots (Archbishop Jordan High School Sherwood Park) moved to 4A basketball in the 2004-2005 season under the direction of Head Coach Rob Hansuk and yes they were still a 3A size School at that time and remained a 3A size school until last season, but over the years had numbers that got real close to 4A (800). During that time period the Scots have worked hard to build a girls basketball program and I think we have done okay.
- Jordan was in the Metro Premier Final 5 times in the last 8 seasons, winning the Metro Premier Championship 3 times
- Jordan made it to 4A Provincials 5 times in last 8 seasons, winning Bronze in 2007, 2009 and Silver in 2008

Basketball in the Edmonton Metro Premier Division has always been competitive and there have been some great teams and Jordan has had their share of great teams and players along the way. When you think about the great Metro Teams of late you need to not only include the Hawks from St.Albert, but also need to include the O’Leary Spartans and their Metro and Provincial championships. You look at the consistency of teams like O’Leary, SACHS, ABJ, they don’t flip-flop between Premier and City Conference like a number of teams in the past have done, they build and sustain good basketball programs in the community. So in reality it’s those Flip Flop teams that have avoided playing against the good Metro teams by moving up and down. Bballspirit maybe you can post and discuss that subject?

High School Hoops in February gets real fun, anything can happen...
Good Luck and see you on the hardwood.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:14 am

Thanks coach Anstice for correcting my error. There was no slight directed at ABJ for opting up. I was projecting my own strategic thoughts on opting up or not. I know over the past few seasons, playing SACHS for a provincial berth seemed to be a more daunting task than trying to beat some of the 4A schools to get there, plus there are more berths available at the 4A level. Good on ABJ for opting up. This season seems to the most competitive in years in the metro league, with any team 2 through 6 having a legit shot at provincials. Enjoy the exam break and prepare to get back at her in a couple of weeks. As for flip flopping leagues, we play up when we think we can compete, we play down we we do not think we are competitive enough. I don't think playing in a league and losing by 50+ plus points each game is good for players or for others in the league, and being a rural school and lacking a strong community basketball system( none) allows us to develop as strong a program as some of our competitors. You will note that the boys have been playing Premier for several years and will continue to do so, our girls are not. If you look at the results you will see why.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smalls

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Alright, I need to weigh in and set some facts straight. As a former player for Coach Dedrick, I am tired of hearing constant criticism from ignorant and uninformed people alike. Before bashing one of the best programs in Alberta, maybe people like you Chinesse_Baller, should collect your facts from something other than "word of mouth." Stating that St. Albert High "recruits" players is simply ignorant. I am from the United States, and believe me when I say that it is idiotic to think that a small school in Alberta, Canada would go as far as to recruit a player from another country. The girls I played with on the SACHS basketball team that came from other schools are very good friends of mine. They all left their preceding school for reasons other than basketball and did not talk to Dedrick about coming to SACHS for basketball. Hearing comments like you have stated that accuse Dedrick of recruiting from other schools gets my blood boiling. Every girl who has gone to SACHS and has played basketball for Dedrick would agree with me when I say that every single thing St. Albert High Girls Basketball has achieved, under his coaching, is because of the hard work he puts into the game of basketball and into the program. As for your comment about John going to watch Junior High games; this is true. It is a great feeling as a young player seeing a face in the crowd that cares about you and your game. I have gone to games as well, and even if the girls aren't coming to SACHS, Dedrick provides feedback to them about how to improve their game. I don't remember one part about my three seasons at St. Albert High where our team and Coach Dedrick and Coach Gaudreau haven't worked for everything we have earned. Talk to me about having an easy road when you join our 7 AM shoots every game day, or lifting every morning in preseason because we didn't want to let him or our teammates down. He has created a work ethic in his players that extend beyond basketball. He is the reason why I hold myself to the highest standard possible, and undoubtedly prepares the girls he sends on to college and university after graduation. We earned everything we acheived because we played for a program that demanded excellence and under a coach who has quite frankly, been the reason why I am the player I am today. Hearing people criticise Dedrick is obtuse and offending. Once you put in the work that he has, then we can talk. Moving to Canada because of my father's job has allowed me to play under the best coach I have ever had, and has been the best basketball move in my career. Maybe you should find out all your facts before accusing a man like Dedrick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ominous

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:28 pm

smalls wrote:
Alright, I need to weigh in and set some facts straight. As a former player for Coach Dedrick, I am tired of hearing constant criticism from ignorant and uninformed people alike. Before bashing one of the best programs in Alberta, maybe people like you Chinesse_Baller, should collect your facts from something other than "word of mouth." Stating that St. Albert High "recruits" players is simply ignorant. I am from the United States, and believe me when I say that it is idiotic to think that a small school in Alberta, Canada would go as far as to recruit a player from another country. The girls I played with on the SACHS basketball team that came from other schools are very good friends of mine. They all left their preceding school for reasons other than basketball and did not talk to Dedrick about coming to SACHS for basketball. Hearing comments like you have stated that accuse Dedrick of recruiting from other schools gets my blood boiling. Every girl who has gone to SACHS and has played basketball for Dedrick would agree with me when I say that every single thing St. Albert High Girls Basketball has achieved, under his coaching, is because of the hard work he puts into the game of basketball and into the program. As for your comment about John going to watch Junior High games; this is true. It is a great feeling as a young player seeing a face in the crowd that cares about you and your game. I have gone to games as well, and even if the girls aren't coming to SACHS, Dedrick provides feedback to them about how to improve their game. I don't remember one part about my three seasons at St. Albert High where our team and Coach Dedrick and Coach Gaudreau haven't worked for everything we have earned. Talk to me about having an easy road when you join our 7 AM shoots every game day, or lifting every morning in preseason because we didn't want to let him or our teammates down. He has created a work ethic in his players that extend beyond basketball. He is the reason why I hold myself to the highest standard possible, and undoubtedly prepares the girls he sends on to college and university after graduation. We earned everything we acheived because we played for a program that demanded excellence and under a coach who has quite frankly, been the reason why I am the player I am today. Hearing people criticise Dedrick is obtuse and offending. Once you put in the work that he has, then we can talk. Moving to Canada because of my father's job has allowed me to play under the best coach I have ever had, and has been the best basketball move in my career. Maybe you should find out all your facts before accusing a man like Dedrick.

Is that the legacy you were thinking of, Chinesse? Sounds like something to be proud of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
withoutapause

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:57 pm

Okay since everyone is weighing in, may I?
Number 1. I am not saying that Deeds has not worked hard. Hell any coach that works as a teacher and participation in their schools extra curricular activities has to work hard because that is no easy thing to do. But, Deeds what i find laughable is your ability to actually use you real name and post on a public forum all of your business EXCEPT your uncanny ability to recruit players from other high schools. Now I know i am sounding like many of these other guys on here but I know and understand that i am different. There's an old saying that if you dont want something repeated, than dont repeat it to anyone. So when I say that I have solid info regarding that little situation with that young lady that mysteriously transferred in her senior year and was denied participation on your squad so I suggest you abandon ship on this topic. If everything was ethical and legit why did the asaa deny her participation? In fact, they denied her ability to even practice with your squad, even though you didnt listen and when you took your team on one of your international trips that you use to lure talent and you disobeyed the orders of the asaa and played the girl anyway. The courtship started in the JP Spring League, carried over into the year and because you had gotten away with simular situations as such, this girl previously paid for the ticket so I understand why you took her and eventually played her but this particular situation really bites me in the ass because this girl was penalized by losing her senior year because of the crap you were selling her. How do I know you may ask? Well just say I'm related to someone that traveled with your team.

Number 2. considering your ability to coach and recruit there is no doubt in my mind that you need to man up and take you program to the next step instead of staying in 3A and pounding on these little teams whereas the coaches dont have the talent to compete nor do they engage themselves in stealing players from other programs. Regardless, that's a mute point because over history many coaches have benefited from the transferring of a player or players both on the girls and boys side of the game, but the difference is they have their programs competing at the 4A level instead of this peek a boo stuff you are doing. Your program has a lot of momentum and I personally think you could compete for a championship at the 4A level but you have to stop acting like Fraidy Cat!

Now i'm going to leave it at that and I know you're gonna call on your supporters to try and discredit what I have said, but like I said earlier you have a leak in your faucet so let's not push the envelop. Oh and for the record, my occupation is far from a teacher so you cant bully me into silence Buddy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:24 am

Intimidation teachers into silence? Since you've opened this SPECIFIC topic then lets chat. If you're related, you've got some details but since members of my team nor the parents were not privy to all the information, once again rumors and half-truths always appear.
Yes this young lady did play spring league for us - at the request of HER coach who was not submitting a team. In fact my team was already @ 12, so taking her meant 13 players. Added to that we had 8 guards so adding another was not beneficial to us but rather to her and her coach.
Yes this young lady became friends with girls on the team and at one point decided she might like to transfer. I told her it was 80/20 against being allowed and knowing that would she like to proceed? The fact that she was in grade 12 increased the chances of denial. She said yes, even with the odds stacked against her. My only regret was telling her to tell the truth - which she did in front of an appeal board, knowing that if she was denied it meant she could not play any sports her grade 12 year. Her school in fact offered to accept her back, have her play on their team which she still refused, opting to practice with us and NEVER play. How do I "sell" that you idiot... So of the 30+ transfer requests, hers was the only one denied - when as AD, I signed off on a mirror version of her story with a student transferring out. When she was denied she was devastated - however in the end all things were made right as she was able to make an ACAC team and continues to be close friends with girls from our program. As for your ASAA comments - you are a fool since these were not discussed so its nice to know you can make things up. The FIRST thing the ASAA looked at was whether or not I had violated any sort of recruitment policy which they determined based on evidence they acquired that I did not - her testimony and that of her parents, and HER school/coaches. I did not go "seek her out" as you're suggesting. As for denying practice that is outside the scope of the ASAA and was never requested, since she is a member of our school. She was however not allowed to take part in even the warm-up since all players on the bench must be eligible. As for Hawaii, we played non-sanctioned, non-ASAA teams in a different country, 3 out of 4 games controlled scrimmages (no referees). And yes she did play & pay - the only chance she would have to play - I'm curious as to whether any other coach would see an issue with this? At the end of the day - ask the girl if you're so "in the know". Not sure what "crap" I have to feed anyone. If you'd like to mention other specifics feel free. If you're related to someone on our team - too bad. Must have sucked traveling to Cuba, Phoenix and then Hawaii in 3 consecutive years, in addition to winning 3 provincial championships and 2 league championship. The "horror"...
As for the "peek a boo" once again I will state that the only thing that changes are the 3 games at the end of the year..
You sound unhappy and bitter - maybe whoever you're related too didn't have the right stuff to continue on with basketball and you're looking to point fingers and vent. Feel free to contact me personally and express as much displeasure as you'd like...since you're not a teacher and cannot be intimidated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:40 pm

In an effort to get back to forum topic.. here is our tournament draw for next weekend (jan 31-feb2). We have the #1 4A girls team BOB, #3 Alberta 3A team Chestermere, #4 3A Edwin Parr, #3 4A Manitoba team Miles Mac so competition should be pretty good.
First round:
SACHS vs St. Joes (GP)
Edwin P vs Bowness
Ernest Manning vs St. FX
Miles Mac vs Bishop Carroll
Chestermere vs Grand Prairie
Edmonton Christian vs MCHS
Bishop O'Bryne vs Wetaskwin
James Mahoney (Sask) vs Bishop Grandin

Feb 9/10 - Chestermere Invitational (games are set)
SACHS vs McDougall
SACHS vs Springbank
SACHS vs Chestermere

Here is the draw for Spruce Grove Classic - Feb 16/17
Spruce Grove vs Cardston
ABJ vs Chestermere
SWC vs Bev Facey
SACHS vs McCoy

I will post results as they occur next weekend.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
joe hammond

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:43 am

JDeeds wrote:
...As for Hawaii, we played non-sanctioned, non-ASAA teams in a different country, 3 out of 4 games controlled scrimmages (no referees). And yes she did play & pay - the only chance she would have to play - I'm curious as to whether any other coach would see an issue with this?...

Didn't Mike Fullerton from Sir Winston Churchill in Calgary get suspended for a year from ASAA coaching for doing the same thing a couple of years ago?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:13 pm

Yes he did!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopitup

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:42 pm

I am pretty sure Coach Fullerton was suspended by Calgary Athletics and not by the ASAA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joe hammond

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:49 pm

It's irrelevant who suspended Fullerton. The issue is: why is it okay for the St. Albert coach to take an ineligible player to Hawaii and have her play when the SWC coach gets suspended for a year for doing the same thing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopitup

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:13 pm

The SWC coach took a grade 9 player and was seen to be using the trip for recruitment. From what I have read on here the St. Albert coach took a grade 12 player who was not going to play anymore anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Black Oak

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:33 am

Thanks JD for trying to keep this thread on topic. Perhaps some of these people should start a new topic - but with new topic rules- you must clarify who you are before you send out accusations of any form. Then all of you can accuse with a bit of class and courage. My hats off to all of the good programs and coaches out their who put in their time! The kids you impact remember it for life and that is why we are here, lets try not to forget that!

Lets move on and get back to discussion! On a side note, does anyone know who the coach is for Bev Facey this year? Based on what I've seen it looks like it could be either one of two men...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Today at 3:21 pm

Back to top Go down

4A Girls Rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next