HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

New Rankings-3A Boys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: New Rankings-3A Boys    Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:48 am

Edmonton Christian has to still be at #1 since they are the only team still undefeated. WR Myers has to drop a number of places with all of their losses and Canmore has to be second with only 1 loss in the ranking timeline to what should be a 4A ranked team at Winston Churchill. After that the cross over games are a mixed bag with no one clearly winning all their games against each other or against comparison teams. It should be interesting to see what the rankers come up with.

My best guess:

1. Edmonton Christian
2. Canmore
3. Cochrane
4. Chestermere
5. St. Albert
6. WR Myers
7. Holy Trinity Edmonton
8. Crescent Heights
9. Leduc
10. George MacDougall

HM McCoy, Louis St Laurent, Wetaskwin, Highwood, Holy Trinity Okotoks
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-3A Boys    Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:20 am

With rankings coming out tomorrow and so many talented teams and players with hard core fans/parents/families in 3A this year, no one else has an opinion?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-3A Boys    Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:14 pm

12321 wrote:

1. Edmonton Christian
2. Canmore
3. Cochrane
4. Chestermere
5. St. Albert
6. WR Myers
7. Holy Trinity Edmonton
8. Crescent Heights
9. Leduc
10. George MacDougall

HM McCoy, Louis St Laurent, Wetaskwin, Highwood, Holy Trinity Okotoks

Close to a double a double. The only miss was the order and switching George MacDougall with Louis St Laurent.

Since I'm the only person who comments on this stuff I'll congratulate myself. Nice work 12321. You're welcome.

We need some controversy like JD's topics. How about this: Edmonton Zone - do they really deserve 5 spots in the top 10? Are the teams in that zone overrated? That seems to be the consensus among coaches. Does anyone disagree?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cash9

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-3A Boys    Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:09 am

I don't think the Edmonton zone is overated with 5 in the top 10 for 3A. look at the amount of competition. Quantity and quality.
The southcentral and Edmonton have the most quality and quantity.
Northwest has 4 teams. usually weak.
Northcentral has 8 teams. usually weak.
Northeast has 7 teams. usually weak.
Edmonton has 12 teams combining metro and public. always a few strong teams for 3A.
Central has 8 teams. usually weak.
Calgary has 3 teams, independent league, not calgaryhighschool league.
Southcentral has 9 teams. always a few strong teams for 3A.
South has 5 teams. a few are usually good. (several smaller schools always go 4A)

56 teams this season in 3A boys according to ASAA site. Not alot of quantity overall in province. Edmonton has the most teams, should therefore have the most ranked. Quality is going to come from Edmonton with stronger league play as opposed to most rural leagues (most, not all, I'd argue the south is stronger if nobody opted up.) Kids closer to cities with club programs is going to help as well, look at proximity for SC and Edm zones, more opportunities to train and compete year round than most rural areas that don't offer as much or have as strong coaching from younger ages up through school and club programs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cochrane

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-3A Boys    Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:27 pm

South Central has 12 3A sized schools by student population and 1 4A sized school (Foothills). 2 3A schools have opted to play up to 4A giving the zone 3 4A schools. 1 larger 3A school is still undeclared.

8 out of the top 10 and possibly 9 out of the top 11 are either Edmonton or South Central with a maximum of 2 provincial births coming from each of those 2 zones. That also fuels the competition level which builds on itself year after year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
2guard14

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-3A Boys    Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:39 pm

Cash 9. Your comments really caught my attention because I've followed H.S. ball esp. 3A and 4A boys and your comments didn't jive with what I have seen following and coaching ball for 20 plus yrs.. So I did some research.

Fact is if you go to the Alberta highschool athletic site you will see the 4top teams at provincials since 1995/96 till present. If the historical strength of zones can be based on placing in provs. then here are the facts:

3A boys

Edmonton: 2wins (AOB & ST.Albert); 1 2nd; 1 3rd
Calgary: Nothing that I could see
North Central: 1win (Devon)
Central: 5wins (Camrose 2; Ponoka 2; Rocky 1); 3 2nds; 3 3rds; 5 4ths
South, Nw, NE: didn't keep track but very few placings from these confs.
(understanding south's 3A teams mostly play 4A).
South Central: Everything else. Bye far the most dominant conf. with Central being the second.

I know every year is different and Edmonton may have some strong teams this yr. but historically Edmonton and Calgary are regarded and have proven to be two of the weaker conferences when it comes to 3A boys. Check it yourself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-3A Boys    Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:11 am

Central was a powerhouse for 3A in the 80s and early 90s too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cash9

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-3A Boys    Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:27 am

2guard14. thanks for the response.

As I first stated, I don't think Edmonton is overrated this year in 3A. I do think that basketball programs have changed alot in a short amount of time throughout the province (as mentioned with club programs, etc.) and your facts are valid and show good historical data. I haven't been around in Alberta since the 80's or followed 3A ball closely in the 90's either. As well, I would argue that only Central has shown historically that they should be ranked higher and no other zone should compared to Edmonton other than the southcentral which I discussed as well.

I do think that the ranking committees do a pretty good job in assessing teams and getting information from coaches and observing games. I've seen many of the ranked teams first hand this season and in previous seasons recently and I would be interested to hear who you feel should be ranked higher, if the Edmonton teams are overrated. Who would you propose as your top 15 ranked schools at this point?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
2guard14

PostSubject: 3a Rankings   Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:11 am

Cash 9. in answer to your question, I'm not sure who are the teams to beat in boys 3A. THere used to be a site where you could follow each zones standings and game scores but if it still exists, I don't know where it is. I haven't even had a chance to get out and see any 3a ball other than 2 exhibition games.

So, any predictions would be guessing. I do know, in Cenral; Camrose is always strong while Wetaskiwin, Ponoka(P. used to dominate this zone but not sure what has happened the past few yrs. besides the fact other teams have gotten stronger) and Rocky are usually strong. Stettler, and Lacombe, Sylvan Lake etc. can be decent from year to year. Anything else I would say would be speculation, but thanks for asking.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cash9

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-3A Boys    Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:24 am

Camrose is decent. Wetaskiwin is decent. I don't think either will really challenge for provincials this year, but I haven't seen either first hand, only discussions with coaches that have. The rest of the central is weaker. Ponoka is ok, but not that strong. I will see Ponoka next week, they're not bad this season, but won't make much noise in March. The rest of the central is relatively weak this year. Rocky hasn't been very good for a few years, Stettler has been weak, Lacombe has really dropped off the past two years since Stumpf graduated two years ago (he was half the team.)

Edmonton Christian and St Albert are clearly stronger than all central this season. Both will contend in March. And Edmonton will get three berths with zone, wildcard, and host.

Crescent Heights and WR Myers are clearly stronger this season as well. WR Myers dropping to 3A and playing the the south 4A league really helps them. They've struggled with injuries the past month however. They will be there in March too.

The southcentral easily has the toughest road for two provincial spots. Canmore, Cochrane, and Chestermere are stronger than almost anybody in the province at the 3A level and only 2 spots for SC zone this year.

Holy Trinity Edmonton, Leduc, and Louis St Laurent are strong this year for 3A and could grab a provincial spot. As well, McDougall could sneak in the southcentral with a lot of size.

I've seen some of the top ranked schools this season, some others last season knowing what they returned, and will see a few more in February. I would be shocked if the top 3 weren't from Edmonton or Southcentral at provincials. But who knows, injuries, discipline issues, etc could come into play in March as some of them don't have the depth to win it all if bad luck hits.

Last season really surprised me to see Camrose take out St Albert, Chestermere, and Cochrane to win it. Home court advantage, playing well down the stretch, but I was still surprised to see them knock off all three that week. Who knows, maybe the central can pull it out again this season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-3A Boys    Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:59 pm

3A looks like a coin toss is all that is separating a stack of teams. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team like St Albert beat Edmonton Christian on any given night or have a team like Chestermere or even Leduc get a couple of big wins and claim top spot in the next ranking. Canmore beat Chestermere, then turned around and lost to them, WR Myers and Catholic Central. Yet they've beaten Cochrane twice in close games and Cochrane has beaten the teams they've lost to. Leduc seems to be on the wrong side of a lot of close games against the top teams that could have gone either way. Louis St. Laurent, Holy Trinity, Crescent Heights, Wetaskwin and Camrose Composite are all capable of stringing a few wins together against this level of competition. George MacDougall, who I thought was the preseason favorite based on their size and experience, has had one of the strangest schedules I've ever seen for a team trying to be ranked in the top 10. They've had some bigger losses to Edmonton Christian and Cochrane but really close losses to Chestermere and Leduc. Their problem is that other than a win over Louis St Laurent, their wins have been against much weaker, smaller schools. I'm not sure tournaments in Didsbury or Acme or where ever else they're going are helping them out which is probably a sign of an inexperienced coach or one that came on board late and couldn't get into tournaments that they needed to get good competition.

Other than Edmonton Christian who is still undefeated and has solid wins, I really don't see anyone clearly ahead of anyone else. I think cash9 is right in that an injury or a suspension or something like that might be the difference between playing for a provincial championship and watching it. The scores coming out of Medicine Hat next weekend should be interesting. It might even be worth 4 hours of driving next Saturday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-3A Boys    Today at 3:02 pm

Back to top Go down

New Rankings-3A Boys
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1