HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Wj mouat struggle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ballerforlife03

PostSubject: Wj mouat struggle   Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:22 pm

What is happening to this team? They are very talented but not performing up to their potential for sure, any thoughts why? Do yet have any injuries?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Wj mouat struggle   Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:14 am

The reason WJ mouat struggles is because they have the two most over-rated players in all of British Columbia! Just because they are Drive players they get all the hype. Corey and Trisitan are not that great and extremely over-rated.
Back to top Go down
charliebrown

PostSubject: Re: Wj mouat struggle   Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:58 am

When are you going to listen? How many times has it been said that Drive is a business. Have you ever heard of Canadian Tire marketing Home Depot products or Pizza Hut delivering a Panagos meat lover! It's called perfect competition. They provide a service, promote their product to grab a fair share of the market to be successful. I've never seen it where they've publicly claimed to have the best players. They promote, coach and support their players. Why does it always come down to Drive. You all sound like haters and it's obvious to any objective person you are fueled by envy and jealousy. Pasha Bains and Chad Clifford are two of the top players to ever play BC basketball and now provide a forum for players to enjoy and grow and you dare criticize them. Stop spending so much time then on their Facebook or Twitter and peruse Allball and Athelite and read about their top players. Stick to righteous basketball topics like why Canada has an all time high number of Division 1 and NBA players and why including the National Team are they pretty much all from Ontario. Now that's a SERIOUS issue worth debating. We are falling behind. Why? Tired of all you folks taking jabs at all these kids because of their affiliation to Drive. They're all good players, many will play at the next level and it's a good thing they don't pay attention to your rhetoric.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Wj mouat struggle   Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:08 am

Mouat had a lot of lofty pre-season expectations for this year, and have not been the Valley force some had foreseen. They still could make a run in the Fraser Valleys, Corey is a real good PG who shoots with confidence and runs well on the break, he is a bit under sized still but strong at the basket. Tristan is an enigma, ton of talent, just needs to be more confident offensively, with his size and skill around the basket he should be putting up 30-15 every night, defensively sound but I think he is still quite raw on the offensive end. Just my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballerforlife03

PostSubject: Re: Wj mouat struggle   Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:07 am

Good thoughts thank you, and I've heard a lot of good things about Corey and Tristan but does mouat have a good supporting cast for those too? And my question is does mouat have enough experience to win?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TightD

PostSubject: Re: Wj mouat struggle   Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:05 pm

Had to come to this thread after watching Mouat last night and comments from a few avid valley watchers.
First i would like to comment on the the overhyped remarks made about Tristan and Cory. I agree there is one player who has received far more accolades and press than what they have achieved but it isn't the point guard. The Drive press machine and Pasha Bains have been relentless in their hyping of players like Tristan and Jadon Cohee....while Cory who played for several years as the lead point guard on the same club team got very little recognition in comparison, so think of his playing ability as you see fit but he certainly hasn't been overhyped. In my opinion Tristan is loaded with potential/talent but has yet to transfer that to the hardwood in any consistent manner.

As for underachieving as a team lets take a look at the coach. In yesterdays games we had 2 simlar situations with 2 different plans of action and 2 very different outcomes. Mouat and Whiterock both found themselves down 14-15 points with plenty of time left in the game. Mouat coach pulls his starters while Whiterock keeps theirs in. Mouat basically threw in the towel while Allen gave his team a chance, Those who were there saw what happened. Mouat's deficit grew while Whiterock pulled to within 1 point. Sad to see Mouat's coach basically throw in the white towel.......very poor coaching in my estimation and the difference between a winner and one who accepts mediocrity.

Another instance in yesterdays game involving Mouat was the the long stretches he sat Hauck....it's been talked about over the year Hauck has been a little bit of a whipping boy by a coach whose halfcourt offense rules his thought process while Hauck is more of a transiton,attack player. Let me tell you something, that halfcourt offense is stale and like watching paint dry. The coach has a premier playmaker/shooter and a 6foot nine post and we see continous passing along the perimeter. How but setting some screens and pick and rolls for your 2 most talented players. Two of the most talented players in the province and that offence has a tough time averaging 60points a game.He has some thouroughbreds on that team who have some serious talent but turns them into plodders running a system that clearly hasn't won anything over the years. Not surprisingly the most recent success for a Mouat senior boys team was a couple of years ago finishing 5th at provincials with a new coach when he stepped down to take over his current squad at junior. Wake up coach,give these guys a chance at provincials.

As for underachieving i guess it is quite obvious where i lay the blame.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopking1

PostSubject: Mouat   Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:25 pm

You are so right, I agree that if I had two big guys like that, I would punish everyone in the paint. I think that the game plan and the coach are to blame, he obviously has no clue. I saw the Friday night game and could not figure what he was doing. The kids can only what they are taught, I heard a lot of unhappy Mouat parents in the stands behind us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicMan

PostSubject: Re: Wj mouat struggle   Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:08 pm

OUCH !!! With adversity like that going into Provincials, any team now would love to get to play Mouat early. Teams can not be successful with infighting on a team. Basketball at the high school level is a team game where 1 or 2 guys will NOT win it for you. Mouat needs to figure this out as if a post on this board is true, the boys on the team probaby have some issues to work out. Life skills masquerading as a basketball issue !!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
realitycheck

PostSubject: Re: Wj mouat struggle   Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:29 pm

Firstly, Fourth place in the Valley is pretty good last time I checked. I agree Mouat did not look great and Tristan was struggling, but I think it's important to take into account the competition. There are many strong Valley teams, but there are also 3 great Valley teams. WRC, Grove and Yale look to be a cut above the rest. Put Mouat against any of the other Valley teams 5 through 8 and I'll take Mouat in a heartbeat.

Coach R. is an excellent coach and every year he has his squad in the mix (and in the provincials). To compare his move of unloading the bench to WRC's decision to keep their starters in is unfair. WRC is a great team, you can never count their starters out as they have too much talent. But WRC cannot put their bench in because they just cannot play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TightD

PostSubject: Re: Wj mouat struggle   Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:46 pm

realitycheck wrote:
Firstly, Fourth place in the Valley is pretty good last time I checked. I agree Mouat did not look great and Tristan was struggling, but I think it's important to take into account the competition. There are many strong Valley teams, but there are also 3 great Valley teams. WRC, Grove and Yale look to be a cut above the rest. Put Mouat against any of the other Valley teams 5 through 8 and I'll take Mouat in a heartbeat.

Coach R. is an excellent coach and every year he has his squad in the mix (and in the provincials). To compare his move of unloading the bench to WRC's decision to keep their starters in is unfair. WRC is a great team, you can never count their starters out as they have too much talent. But WRC cannot put their bench in because they just cannot play.

Yes....4th place in the valley is good and i think the 3 teams ahead of them are better as well. The part about pulling your starters is that R threw in the towel with plenty of time left and after talking to Mouat followers this is not the first time. While we all know Whiterocks bench is weak Mouats replacements for their starters was quite a drop in talent level. What Whiterock showed was that a comeback was a definite possibilty
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TightD

PostSubject: Re: Wj mouat struggle   Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:53 pm

MagicMan wrote:
OUCH !!! With adversity like that going into Provincials, any team now would love to get to play Mouat early. Teams can not be successful with infighting on a team. Basketball at the high school level is a team game where 1 or 2 guys will NOT win it for you. Mouat needs to figure this out as if a post on this board is true, the boys on the team probaby have some issues to work out. Life skills masquerading as a basketball issue !!

Never said there was a rebellion going on and have never seen anything to that effect.....just an opinion on my part and those i talked to after a particular bad outing. They are a talented team that some basketball people including myself think aren't reaching their potential. You seem to want to make this into something it is not.

d
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NBN

PostSubject: Re: Wj mouat struggle   Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:38 pm

TightD wrote:
MagicMan wrote:

Never said there was a rebellion going on and have never seen anything to that effect.....just an opinion on my part and those i talked to after a particular bad outing. They are a talented team that some basketball people including myself think aren't reaching their potential. You seem to want to make this into something it is not.

W J Mouats offense lacks. They run the same play over and over. PG passes SG or SF then passes to High post Tristen then into low post. They run a flex offense. You’re kidding me! Every team knows their plays… they have been running the same plays for years! WG coach told me…we know exactly what WJ going to do! Where are the screens and picks, give and goes, transitional game? Like the top teams do, Yale, WG, WRCA. Mouat, plays a half court offense game and that is it! Kids, get bore if you do not let them run and have some fun. I do not feel players should be benched because they are trying to be creative on offense… and yet over and over this appears to be happening there. Hey if a player doesn’t work on defense, take him off in a heartbeat. You have to let kids grow into player that they can be! These are kids not college players! I would love to see Tristen, in a transitional type of game… he would excel. No big man around could keep up with him, never mind guard him! How many top teams run a flex offense? Most run a motion type of offense!

d
Back to top Go down
View user profile
loveofthegame

PostSubject: Re: Wj mouat struggle   Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:30 pm

I think this Mouat team is somewhere around the 5-7th best team in the province and have a chance to make a nice run at Provincials. I think the two biggest problems this team has is 1. They dont have enough outside shooting, I have watched them play quite a few times and rarely see them hit outside shots. 2. They do a horrible job at getting Tristan the ball, a kid as talented as him should be getting the ball every time down the floor. He has nice post moves, and is able to finish well in the paint. I have seen him show a variety of moves against players South of the border with his Drive team, and also right here in BC against some of the premier post players in this province.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TightD

PostSubject: Re: Wj mouat struggle   Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:40 pm

Since my initial post i see coach Rich has changed his coaching style somewhat. Staying with Hauck even though he had a tough of a fist quarter in game 1 of provincials as one could imagine with 5 turnovers has shown that keeping faith in a player instead of automaticly sitting him has been immensely successful as Hauck has poured in 20 plus points in evry game and nearly led them to victory over WRCA.
As for Ettiene.......3 straigh 20 plus pointgames and a huge defensive effort. Thought i might have been harsh in my initial post but seeing Mouat now makes me think not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball604

PostSubject: Re: Wj mouat struggle   Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:51 am

Any thoughts on Mouat's chances coming into next season? Any outstanding players other than Corey and Tristan? Any new players?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wj mouat struggle   Today at 7:32 am

Back to top Go down

Wj mouat struggle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1