HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

University/College Recruits

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:10 am

This is off the Red Jacket web site.

1. Kristen McNab-Cochrane High School going to Medicine Hat College

2. Melissa Moore-E.P. Scarlett going to Medicine Hat College
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:14 am

MacEwen has name some new recruits.

Paige Knull - SASHS - St. Albert

Amber Easthope - SASHS - St. Albert

Geri Anstice - ABJ - Sherwood Park

Kerilynn MacLennon - Oak Park HS - Winnipeg

Lennea Bunker - Salisbury Composite HS - Sherwood Park
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:43 pm

NAIT Ooks has new recruits and transfers.

Teresa Wiebe of La Crete Public HS, La Crete, AB

Kirsten Burns of Strathcona Christian Academy, Edmonton, AB

Harley Russell of Jasper Place HS, Edmonton, AB

Torrey Hill of Viking HS, Viking, AB.  Transfers from Southern Utah University Thunderbird , now recovered from a serious knee injury

Robyn Gibson of Spruce Grove HS, Spruce Grove, AB. Played three season for the Calgary Dinos

Cara Zamburek of Spruce Grove HS, Spruce Grove, AB.  Played two season for Concordia and is a former Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference all-star forward
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nash10

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:25 pm

Any news on recruits for the U of A Pandas next year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:49 pm

I've been looking and listening. Haven't heard a peep who they might pick up this year. Almost all the CIS quality kids out of Calgary have found a home. Still one or two I'm waiting to hear about. There may be a few kids from Edmonton or other parts of Alberta still not picked up.

Not sure why universities are not getting all of their recruits tied up with an LOI. Doesn't tie the kid up too tight but makes it so they cannot go elsewhere on scholarship.

Mount Royal just had their ID camp a few weeks ago. Any action come from that? Heard that team has imploded and needs a lot of help.

Rumors are welcome.

How about this. Anybody know of any CIS or ACAC quality players that still have not been picked up?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:42 am

Mount Royal has just posted their line up so far.

Only three players returning - Jordan MacLean (2nd), Nikki Golding (5th) and Carrie Campbell (5th).

Transfers - Veronica Headley from Acadia University, Cassidy Taal of Lethbridge University, Candice Duckett from Saint Mary's College and Angela Driscoll from Olds College.

New Recruits - Point guard Alicia Tan of Calgary (St. Mary's), shooting guard Brooke Lister (Brentwood) of Regina, and forwards Yasmene Saghir (Chestermere) of Chestermere and Melissa Moore (E.P. Scarlett) of Calgary.

Red Shirts - Martina Allen of Calgary (St. Mary's) and Katie Waring (High River), who is a transfer from the University of Winnipeg.

New Coach -Len Harvey

Does this sound like a line up ready to compete in the CIS?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketbill

PostSubject: Unsigned point guards   Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Two quality guards from southern Alberta are not playing ball next year.  Both Taylor Barr of Stirling High and Hannah Forster of Immanuel Christian are unsigned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:58 am

Charlotte MacKenzie who played for the UofC has transferred to the University of Ottawa.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:08 pm

"Transfers - Veronica Headley from Acadia University..."

"New Recruits - ...Melissa Moore (E.P. Scarlett) of Calgary."

This is a clarification -

Veronica Headley did not play basketball for Acadia. She played (2 years)volleyball.

Melissa Moore went to E.P Scarlett but did not play for them in grade 12. She does play club basketball for the Red Jackets.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:30 am

I'm a little surprised that U of A or MRU have not used LOI's of "Letter of Intent" for the new players they have recruited; or at least not registered them with CIS. I know for sure MRU signed one with Alicia Tan. (big announcement and signing on TV) UBC announced their recruits and transfers recently and they are not registered with the CIS. Doesn't mean LOIs were not signed. The U of C has announced and registered all of their recruits and transfers with the CIS.

From what I've read the LOI doesn't hold the player to go to that school or stop them from attending and playing at another school. The player just cannot receive a scholarship from the second school for that year. I imagine the none registered LOI's still obligate the player and school even if it is not registered with the CIS.

Can anyone expand or correct what I have explained? Can anyone explain why a school should or shouldn't ensure had all recruits and transfers sign an LOI? Why register them with CIS?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
withoutapause

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:30 pm

SlowPoke wrote:
I'm a little surprised that U of A or MRU have not used LOI's of "Letter of Intent" for the new players they have recruited; or at least not registered them with CIS.  I know for sure MRU signed one with Alicia Tan. (big announcement and signing on TV)  UBC announced their recruits and transfers recently and they are not registered with the CIS. Doesn't mean LOIs were not signed.  The U of C has announced and registered all of their recruits and transfers with the CIS.

From what I've read the LOI doesn't hold the player to go to that school or stop them from attending and playing at another school.  The player just cannot receive a scholarship from the second school for that year.  I imagine the none registered LOI's still obligate the player and school even if it is not registered with the CIS.

Can anyone expand or correct what I have explained?  Can anyone explain why a school should or shouldn't ensure had all recruits and transfers sign an LOI?  Why register them with CIS?

I know from the recruitment of my own child, LOI means absolutely nothing. Its basically a piece of paper that colleges and universities use to pull wool over players eyes to make them think they cannot decided to go to another school once they have signed the LOI. In reality if Player-A decides to sign with University-A, the week prior to school starting Player-A abruptly changes his or her mind and decides to attend University-B for any reason; thereis absolutely nothing University-A can do besides pout and maybe trash University-B. If there is some proof that University-B has tampered with Player-A after the date Player-A was announced that he or she was going to be attending University -A, University-B can have their hand held to the fire and maybe receive a fine. But that's about it.

Now in the states is a different story, once you sign a LOI the player has to be released by University-A and if he or she is not released they will be deemed a Proposition 48 student athlete and if they do not honor the LOI to University-A they will have to sit out a full calendar year before they can attend University-B; but the scholrship in the States are true full rides wwhereas the player get literally everything paid for by the university for participating in post secondary athletics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:27 am

I think there are two important parts to the LOI.

1. It is registered with CIS and the players name and institution are publish on the CIS web site. Other coaches or recruiters will then know the players is committed else where and is not allowed to contact the player. The player is also restricted from making contact with other schools after signing an LOI.

2. If the school who issued the LOI does not release a player from the obligation, the player can still leave to play at another school but cannot receive a scholarship for that year. The issuing school can release the player from the LOI but does not have to issue a release. There are procedures to follow to have the CIS release a player from an LOI.

Check out CIS web page below.

http://english.cis-sic.ca/information/members_info/eligibility_package
Back to top Go down
View user profile
withoutapause

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:34 pm

SlowPoke wrote:
I think there are two important parts to the LOI.

1. It is registered with CIS and the players name and institution are publish on the CIS web site.  Other coaches or recruiters will then know the players is committed else where and is not allowed to contact the player.    The player is also restricted from making contact with other schools after signing an LOI.

2. If the school who issued the LOI does not release a player from the obligation, the player can still leave to play at another school but cannot receive a scholarship for that year.  The issuing school can release the player from the LOI but does not have to issue a release. There are procedures to follow to have the CIS release a player from an LOI.

Check out CIS web page below.

http://english.cis-sic.ca/information/members_info/eligibility_package

Hmmmm, it seems the CIS is still trying to be like the NCAA, but they refuse to address the real issue of discrepancy which is the NCAA version of a full ride versus the CIS version of a full ride. As I stated above, the NCAA pays for everything so if an institution makes a commitment to a player and this player decides not to honor their commitment that particular institution could lose out on alot of money. If the CIS is going to mimic the NCAA dont pick little pieces, they should adopt the compete methodology.

The funny thing is that all it will take is a family taking the CIS to task and yes they will win, after that the LOI will be consider useless. I dont see how they can tell a player and their family that they cannot change their mind of where they want to play and be educated from. Well they may tell them but it hold up in a court of law
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:55 pm

This is totally from the rumor mill.

Vanessa Wesolowski of Chestermere, MRC, UofS and MRU is planning on joining up with UofC this coming season. She has been injured for the past couple of years so doesn't have to sit out.

Hilary Annich of St. Albert, GMac and MRU and maybe Lisa Ivanics of Foremost, LCC and MRU may join UofC next season.

All are pretty good players and have bailed out of the MRU program.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:37 am

I can't believe I hadn't heard or read about this before.

Nicole Clarke of EP Scarlett (Calgary), UofA has been fighting an injury for the past few years. Here education is complete at UofA so she is planning to play her last year at UofR. Her family is originally from Regina.

This is pretty big news. She was one of the best players I have had the pleasure of watching over the years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:42 pm

Finally some good news from the South.

U of L has picked up the following players from Southern Alberta.

Mariah Miller - Guard/Wing from Catholic Central in Lethbridge.

Larsyn Webster - PG from Cardston HS in Cardston.

Joining them from BC are:

Sara Simovic - BC provincial All-Star PG from Wellington Secondary in Nanaimo, BC

Kendra Lee - Guard from G.P. Vanier Secondary in Courtney, BC

Already reported:

Erin James - Guard from Bishop O'Byrne HS in Calgary
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:46 pm

More from the south. (I could wrong about this but the information looks solid)

Logan Moncks of Cardston HS from Cardston is planning to play at SAIT this season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:03 pm

I heard this a long time ago. Thought it would have been confirmed in a press release or somebody else would post it.

Alex Bean - guard from Sir Winston HS of Calgary will be playing at SAIT this season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:14 pm

Another tip right out of the blue.

Sarah Jorgenson - post from William Aberhart in Calgary is going to play for Douglas College in Vancouver.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:28 am

Karen Li - PG from Britannia Secondary in Vancouver, and UofL has transferred to Langara College in Vancouver.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iluvbball

PostSubject: KEYANO HUSKY WOMEN UPDATE   Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:18 pm

Confirmed. Keyano women have signed Mariah Barbosa PG via Westwood Collegiate, Winnipeg MB.
Great signing - 2013 Prov team All-star, 2013 Graduating All-star, 2013 Top 5 Wpg Sun HighSchool Female player
Has an explosive first step … exceptional ball-handling abilities set up teammates for open looks … great shooting range.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:56 am

Good to get some input from anyone but me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iluvbball

PostSubject: GRANT MCEWEN   Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:05 am

Grant McEwen University in Alberta has announced that Kerilynn MacLennan, a 5’11” forward, has committed to its program for the 2013-14 season. She heped lead Oak Park to a Manitoba High School Athletic Association Provincial championship, capping a 33-0 season, the first undefeated season by a Manitoba team in 38 years. Kerilynn capped her final season with an outstanding championship game scoring 28 points and pulling down 15 rebounds to earn MVP honours. Her ability to shoot from a variety of positions on the floor has made her a versatile player and a difficult match up. During the 2012-13 season she averaged 19 points, 13 rebounds and three assists per game. Her ability to take over a game and her experience as a member of Team Manitoba will make her a valuable member of the Griffins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:58 pm

?

Last edited by seenandcalled on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : hacked)
Back to top Go down
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:10 pm

Laura Belisle of Henry Wisewood in Calgary has transferred from Olds College to Thompson Rivers University.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: University/College Recruits   Today at 7:24 pm

Back to top Go down

University/College Recruits
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next