HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Team BC Nationals 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
baller2sk

PostSubject: Team BC Nationals 2013   Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:55 pm

Would love to see Jadon Cohee, Jauquin Bennett-Boire, Sukh Bains, Tristan Etienne, Hayden Lejeune, Mindy Minhas all suit up for Nationals. Highly unlikely but one can wish Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Team BC Nationals 2013   Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:46 pm

Cohee, Etienne, Minhas = Playing with Drive
Bains = Playing with AthElite
Bennett-Boire = Possibly playing with Basketball BC, but might play with East Coast AAU team(CIA Bounce)
Lejeune = Playing with Basketball BC

I hate to reiterate what's been said on this board before, but there needs to be cooperation between BBC and the Club teams, but as of now it looks like neither side will bend for the other. Unfortunately cooperation is unlikely, the local Club teams train and play year-around, and some of the very best players in the province are foregoing the chance to play for their province, instead a lot of players are opting for the year-around training and opportunities open to them with the various local Clubs, who all do a great job at training, promoting and getting the best out of these young men.

Also here’s a good quote on the situation from a previous post from “ronh pm”
ronh_pm wrote:

Times are changing and programs like Basketball BC are becoming victims of their own success, Though once playing for your province at the Canadian championships would be the pinnacle of a high school players achievments it is not so much the case anymore.

For years the provincials programs across Canada have been feeding players to the AAU and prep clubs in the States and now our young players, seeing the success of those who play AAU and prep ball, are jumping at the opportunities afforded them by club basketball thinking and hoping playing on the AAU circuit is a notch up than playing for BBBC

I don't know the schedules but I suspect BBBC is playing in just as many of the high profile tourneys as the other BC clubs but right now, it is just not as "sexy" to play for them as there seems to be a perception they are "Canadian" and not AAU or "prep".

To be honest, I'm just happy the clubs are here to give many more kids the chance to play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McKay

PostSubject: Re: Team BC Nationals 2013   Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:03 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:

I hate to reiterate what's been said on this board before, but there needs to be cooperation between BBC and the Club teams, but as of now it looks like neither side will bend for the other.

It's unfortunate this sentiment keeps getting repeated. Just to be clear there has been a tremendous amount of cooperation between Basketball BC and the majority of clubs. As the Provincial Sport Organization, Basketball BC has reached out to every club group and offered to work in partnership with them. A number of people on both sides have worked hard to afford players with the opportunity to do both. This includes changes to the selection/evaluation process to allow players not playing for regional teams to have an opportunity to be selected at the U14/U15 level and moving the SuperCamp dates up from their traditional dates at the end of April to the beginning of April (which was done specifically at the request of club programs who felt they needed to be able to select their teams by the end of April for organizational purposes), and targeting their training on specific weekends scheduled well in advance to allow players to still participate in a number of events with their club programs.

It's not a matter of only being able to do one or the other anymore. Players can train and play with their club programs and still have an opportunity to represent their province.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Team BC Nationals 2013   Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:25 pm

McKay wrote:
JesusShuttlesworth wrote:

I hate to reiterate what's been said on this board before, but there needs to be cooperation between BBC and the Club teams, but as of now it looks like neither side will bend for the other.

It's unfortunate this sentiment keeps getting repeated. Just to be clear there has been a tremendous amount of cooperation between Basketball BC and the majority of clubs. As the Provincial Sport Organization, Basketball BC has reached out to every club group and offered to work in partnership with them. A number of people on both sides have worked hard to afford players with the opportunity to do both. This includes changes to the selection/evaluation process to allow players not playing for regional teams to have an opportunity to be selected at the U14/U15 level and moving the SuperCamp dates up from their traditional dates at the end of April to the beginning of April (which was done specifically at the request of club programs who felt they needed to be able to select their teams by the end of April for organizational purposes), and targeting their training on specific weekends scheduled well in advance to allow players to still participate in a number of events with their club programs.

It's not a matter of only being able to do one or the other anymore. Players can train and play with their club programs and still have an opportunity to represent their province.

Thanks for the explanation, alot of misinformation gets thrown around, its good to see that BBC is open about the selection of the team.

So what do you feel is holding back some of the top basketball players in the province for suiting up for BC?

Urquhart from All-Ball, Cohee/Etienne/Minhas from Drive, Bains from AthElite. the top level talent that will be U17's this summer all appear to be playing for their respective clubs, would love to see them all wear the same uniform and represent BC against the rest of the nation. A lineup of Cohee, Bains, Minhas, Urquhart and Etienne would be able to score a ton of buckets and compete with the best ON has to offer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Team BC Nationals 2013   Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:52 pm

Kudos to Baller2sk for raising this issue and those who have provided some insight. I have some thoughts and make it clear that I have no allegiance to BBC or the Clubs. There are some significant dilemmas that prevent players from participating with both their AAU Clubs and BBC. Some of the players mentioned have the chance to play Division 1 and possibly gain some scholarship offers this AAU season. Clubs will attend many NCAA sanctioned tournaments and provide every opportunity for these players to demonstrate their abilities and will network with the respective coaches. Their goals widely differ. For instance BBC does not enter all the NCAA tournaments in April & July and they will not network to the degree that Clubs will as they do not have the time or the means. As well BBC engages in a fair-play process, which detracts from these players opportunity to show their abilities. Club teams use smaller teams and design systems to highlight individual skills. Now compare this with the opportunity to represent your Province at the Nationals and I highly suspect for some of the above mentioned reasons that these players will prioritize the AAU Club scene.

This is an elite 2014 class, but you are really talking about a handful of players who should be playing both BBC and AAU clubs. Both BBC and AAU Clubs can select their teams; however, there should be a process negotiated between them to allow these players to play for both, something similar to Ontario. The highlight of BBC is competing at the U17 Provincials/Canada Games where this year’s crop can compete against Ontario. This can also provide further exposure for CIS and National Team.
Unfortunately for BC the center of the Canadian basketball universe is Ontario and not having the best players participate is a TRAGEDY where BBC and the Province lose, but mostly the players. Playing at the National Championships should and would be a highlight in many of these kids’ careers, something they may always cherish, but faced with the alternative the kids will side with D1 opportunity. In today’s world that is almost or at some point every players' dream.

The stumbling block revolves around personalities as BBC and the Clubs are putting themselves ahead of what is best for the kids. I hold them equally responsible. As basketball ambassadors they should have rectified this years ago. Instead they create an ultimatum where kids have to make a choice between AAU or BBC and in the end everyone LOSES.

A question for McKay - is Bains playing for both and if so who is he playing for during NCAA sanctioned events? How are practices being worked out? If you have a framework then provide for others. Has BBC presented this framework to all Club teams? That’s where the negotiations appear to stall. In my humble opinion BBC’s focus/priority should be solely the Nationals in August, so allow the kids to play AAU and work out some dates where it is mandatory that these players attend certain practices and tournaments to build team chemistry and cohesiveness. I bet if you canvass these kids they all would want to play together and represent the Province and at the same time play for their respective Club teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller2sk

PostSubject: Re: Team BC Nationals 2013   Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:08 pm

With the different club teams, travel schedules, and other factors that come into play regarding these kids I was wondering if maybe a short two week camp prior to Nationals would work? The current system is not working dont know if any kids have done both in the past(club and bbc) and not sure if any will in the future. The aau and bbc schedule always overlap and often end up in the same events so to split time someone always feels cheated. I think the Nationals are a great event but all the events leading up to it is a matter of choice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Team BC Nationals 2013   Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:25 pm

DickVitale2013 wrote:
Kudos to Baller2sk for raising this issue and those who have provided some insight. I have some thoughts and make it clear that I have no allegiance to BBC or the Clubs. There are some significant dilemmas that prevent players from participating with both their AAU Clubs and BBC. Some of the players mentioned have the chance to play Division 1 and possibly gain some scholarship offers this AAU season. Clubs will attend many NCAA sanctioned tournaments and provide every opportunity for these players to demonstrate their abilities and will network with the respective coaches. Their goals widely differ. For instance BBC does not enter all the NCAA tournaments in April & July and they will not network to the degree that Clubs will as they do not have the time or the means. As well BBC engages in a fair-play process, which detracts from these players opportunity to show their abilities. Club teams use smaller teams and design systems to highlight individual skills. Now compare this with the opportunity to represent your Province at the Nationals and I highly suspect for some of the above mentioned reasons that these players will prioritize the AAU Club scene.

This is an elite 2014 class, but you are really talking about a handful of players who should be playing both BBC and AAU clubs. Both BBC and AAU Clubs can select their teams; however, there should be a process negotiated between them to allow these players to play for both, something similar to Ontario. The highlight of BBC is competing at the U17 Provincials/Canada Games where this year’s crop can compete against Ontario. This can also provide further exposure for CIS and National Team.
Unfortunately for BC the center of the Canadian basketball universe is Ontario and not having the best players participate is a TRAGEDY where BBC and the Province lose, but mostly the players. Playing at the National Championships should and would be a highlight in many of these kids’ careers, something they may always cherish, but faced with the alternative the kids will side with D1 opportunity. In today’s world that is almost or at some point every players' dream.

The stumbling block revolves around personalities as BBC and the Clubs are putting themselves ahead of what is best for the kids. I hold them equally responsible. As basketball ambassadors they should have rectified this years ago. Instead they create an ultimatum where kids have to make a choice between AAU or BBC and in the end everyone LOSES.

A question for McKay - is Bains playing for both and if so who is he playing for during NCAA sanctioned events? How are practices being worked out? If you have a framework then provide for others. Has BBC presented this framework to all Club teams? That’s where the negotiations appear to stall. In my humble opinion BBC’s focus/priority should be solely the Nationals in August, so allow the kids to play AAU and work out some dates where it is mandatory that these players attend certain practices and tournaments to build team chemistry and cohesiveness. I bet if you canvass these kids they all would want to play together and represent the Province and at the same time play for their respective Club teams.

Thanks for this thoughtful note that is accurate and balanced. I agree with every point.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
McKay

PostSubject: Re: Team BC Nationals 2013   Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:24 pm

People have made great points on this thread. I've coached with both the Provincial Team program and private clubs, and had multiple players take part in Basketball BC programs and had players play for several different clubs. I'm not advocating one over the other. Both situations offer positive development opportunities for players. My point was just to clarify some of the misinformation that seems to be out there. I can try and address some of your points and questions as best I can to further the discussion. By no means am I the authority on the issue, but I can share the information that has been shared with me.

For instance BBC does not enter all the NCAA tournaments in April & July

Basketball BC plays in multiple sanctioned events every year. This year I've been told they are playing in an April event and two events in July prior to Canada Games in August.

They will not network to the degree that Clubs will as they do not have the time or the means.

This is untrue. As an offshoot of Basketball Canada, and having had dozens of players go on to play in the NCAA Basketball BC in fact has the largest network of contacts in the province. Schools routinely contact Basketball BC to discuss BC players - both those that play for Basketball BC and those that play for clubs.

As well BBC engages in a fair-play process, which detracts from these players opportunity to show their abilities.
Club teams use smaller teams and design systems to highlight individual skills.

Basketball BC began splitting their U17 and U16 teams into two squads at sanctioned events to address this issue and offer more playing time. Some clubs definitely do as you've mentioned; some do not.

In my humble opinion BBC’s focus/priority should be solely the Nationals in August, so allow the kids to play AAU and work out some dates where it is mandatory that these players attend certain practices and tournaments to build team chemistry and cohesiveness.

I agree and this is defiinitely the plan they've put forward. Condensed training - so less weekends, but more intense sessions - to allow players to participate more with their club teams and with the Provincial Team at select events. The challenge really is the sanctioned events, especially Vegas. Clubs want their best guys for that week, but it is also the last competition opportunity prior to Canada Games meaning Basketball BC needs them as well.

Sukhjot doesn't play for me, he plays for my brother. I don't know what his plans currently are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Team BC Nationals 2013   Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:41 am

Thanks. Interesting points. So what I'm gathering is in place is that players can play both BBC and Club; however it will come down to the sanctioned events and who plays where. This is what I understand has been the stumbling block for a while. I can see BBC wanting to use Vegas as a prep for the Nationals and the Clubs wanting their players as well since it's the finale to their AAU season. I still believe the Clubs work a lot harder than BBC to get their top players recruited.

There are 2 tourney's in Vegas, can they compromise and split them? It comes down to a choice of personal preference, but either way the players will have to choose one over the other unless these parties get to the drawing table and engage in the fine art of negotiations and honestly communicate with the impacted parties.

It will be a very sad chapter in BC basketball history if this special crop of 2014s do not play for their Province. In the same token I do understand their dreams and ambition to play in the US under scholarship and therefore wanting to play for their Clubs. At one one time playing for your Province was the pinnacle and glamorous thing to do, but not anymore as AAU Club ball is taking over and is motivating a new generation with all the success of the Canadians at the D1 and NBA levels. ESPN claims that Canada will be an international power within the decade and we will field a National team of almost all NBA players. This is tremendous news but in the same breath makes me sad as we may only have a few BC players in the form of 7 footers Sacre and Olnyk. We have to get with the times and figure this thing out and build our elite players like Ontario and to some degree Quebec. Kids are even moving south to play prep HS basketball to enhance their chances. Playing for their Province doesn't have the aura it once did. These kids want AAU and scholarships and more.

We are at a defining moment for BC basketball so what needs to happen to deal with this crisis/dilemma? Imagine if their weren't any club teams and only BBC what would the landscape look like then? The 2014 class was built with the addition of Club teams not just Drive or Allball but clubs like Trans Canada, One Pass Ahead, 3D etc When these players were younger they were getting thrashed down south now they're very competitive and being recognized for their abilities. All these organizations should work cohesively in the best interest of the players to develop them and the integrity of the game!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JK

PostSubject: Canada Basketball U15/U17 Development Camp   Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:55 pm

The dialogue on this thread has been great. I think more players would be interested in competing at Nationals if they didn't have to miss out on Club team tournaments. It would also be of great value for BC players to have the opportunity to participate in 3-4 days of Basketball Canada Development training immediately after the tournament. This would maximize the time they have to train/compete with Canada's best players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Team BC Nationals 2013   Today at 8:56 pm

Back to top Go down

Team BC Nationals 2013
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1