HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

South Zone

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: South Zone   Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:09 pm

Cardston wins the BOB tournament. LCI wins the Chinook to no surprise and Winston Churchill wins the St. Peter the Apostle Top of the Rock Tournament in Edmonton with an easy win over #1 ranked 3A Edmonton Christian. With WC handing a loss to CCHS at home last week, the game against MHH Tuesday at WC has some significance and should help determine the top 3 in the south. It should also show if WC deserves a top 10 ranking over Medicine Hat. Medicine Hat High held court at the Medicine Hat Tournament this weekend but barely. I saw their 2 games Saturday and they had to work the entire game to put away Crescent Heights from Calgary and then were pushed right to the edge and literally snuck out a victory in overtime in the final against #3 ranked 3A Cochrane who had the upper hand most of the game and a late Cochrane turnover with a chance to win it was the difference. I'm not sure that comparison puts Hat High in a great spot coming into the game against WC. Cochrane did look really good. They have some exceptional talent, pose some difficult match ups and they work their strengths but with Medicine Hat High squeaking that out in OT in Medicine Hat with a loud crowd backing them up and WC thumping a higher ranked team with what I understand was a vocal Edmonton crowd against them, I'm thinking some changes are coming. Look to see WC knock out MHH tomorrow night and WC finally get some top 10 recognition.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:26 pm

Somebody PLEASE put Winston Churchill in the top 10. I am tired of the WHINING and SNIFFLING and trying to justify why they should be. 12321 You are either a coach or assistant coach for WC. You seeem to know about all the teams in the province so you must have access to the ASAA web site for games. Dont deny it. Just read your past posts and it is not hard to figure out. Rankers just put them in so the rest other southern alberta can just play ball and not have to mop up after 12321 has soaked the floor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:38 pm

Thanks slimjim. I needed someone else on here to advocate for WC.

Now for the unmasking... I'm a huge high school basketball fan, an ex 3A coach and I'm retired and living in Lethbridge. I've got time and I'm bored. I have no no kids, no grandkids and no connection to WC other than they were close when I moved here. I'm also a fan of LCI and CCHS too but after WC. Coming from out of town I think I'm a little more objective than most of the fans and parents from LCI or CCHS that hate each other. For me its fun just being in the gym and watching that unfold. I thank Dino for that. That is honestly my favourite kind of entertainment so as long as there is good ball to be played, and I'm in town, I'll be there. Just look for the old guy that looks out of place. Thats all you get.

I did think WC would win 3A provincials this year and it is what it is but I really think that they've played well enough to be near the top of 4A. It sounds like you're on their side too now so maybe together we can convert everyone else. As long as they beat MHH I'm sure it will happen. And I can't wait to see how hard they go at WR Myers next week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:58 pm

Nice try 12321. You would not care about the rankings so much if you were just an avid fan who wants to watch good basketball. All one needs to do is look at all your past comments and it is a given that you are a coach or assistant. Just look at the wording and the present tense (We. we etc) I too was in Cardston and for you to know what you know about the rest of the league and the rest of the alberta high school programs its a given who you are but I wont spill your name to make you look dumb. Thats not what this sight is all about. You will get respect when you deserve it not when you complain all the time about WE should be ranked. Enough said Im done on this subject.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:57 pm

Such confidence. Whoever you think I am, I'm 100% positive you're wrong. But this is entertaining and again, I'm bored, so don't give up yet. Just for fun lets play this game. Medicine Hat super south championship game, tied at 72 after regulation, Liam Mohanraj, #11 for Medicine Hat, was the only player to hit a 3 pointer in the OT period. It happened right in front of the stands and the crowd went crazy. If I was a coach with WC or anyone that was really part of the core of the WC team, I would have been in Edmonton and I wouldn't know that. If anyone else on this forum was there and watched that game, feel free to confirm.

WE is my team. I don't have to be a coach or a student or a parent or a teacher or administrator to be part of WE. And as a fan of the game I'm a little offended. I think you owe all fans everywhere an apology.

Just to make you happy, if WE lose to Medicine Hat, I won't make one more remark about WC not being in the top 10. I promise. Just so I don't waste your valuable internet time reading my posts about it. WE won't deserve it anyway so it won't matter. I'll try to find some other topic to waste your time with. And if WE do lose, and anything is possible, I will come up with a post about how that will impact the rankings because I do have access to the ASAA ranking site. As do a thousand other people. But obviously not you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:53 am

12321!!!
What happened against Med Hat!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoop watcher

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:05 am

I can tell you what happened against Med Hat. WC just is not that good. Welcome to the big boy league Churchill. I am not so sure Churchill would even beat Picture Butte to win the Deep South league this year. That makes me wonder. Does anyone know if Churchill ever won the Deep South??? All this talk about deserving to be a top ten 4a team seems very premature. You get respect by winning, not clamouring for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:53 pm

Good to see slimjim and I are not the only people on this forum. As promised, here's how I think that game will impact the season.

MHH is better. They're more skilled and even though our bigs played big, they're a better team. They deserved that win and they deserve a top 10 ranking.

Obviously, you have to compare teams closely to make good guesses and I think my assessment on a stack of teams like Cardston, Crescent Heights Calgary, Cochrane and Edmonton Christian was a little off in trying to make comparisons to WC.

Cardston is this deep group that isn't going to win too many games by huge margins because they roll through the line up. But in tournaments where fatigue plays a role in the later games they're going to shine which will serve them well at provincials. The point spreads they put up are almost meaningless. To them its just about the W. Their game against MHH was win. Their game against WC was a win. Nothing else. You can't take anything else from it. The rankers will have to keep that in mind.

Crescent Heights Calgary is a big, strong team with depth, skill and athleticism. In the standings and by their scores they are middle of the pack in Calgary. Lost some close ones, blown out on a few others. But I think I underestimated what they're capable of. In watching their game against Medicine Hat, they played with them. I also watched the end of their game with Magrath right before the finals. They seem to lack discipline, consistent effort and they just don't play smart a lot of the time. Thats got to be frustrating for a coach to have that much size, athleticism and ability and watch them struggle to get wins. They have a lot of potential and could do something in the city playoffs if they can get their heads in the game and play to their strengths. But for now, all watching them did was throw me a curve ball.

Edmonton Christian was ranked #1 in 3A. I now know how the game went and it sounds like they aren't close to WC which made me initially think WC would walk away with a 3A provincial title had they been able to play 3A. But because of the way Cardston plays and the way I underestimated Crescent Heights Calgary, that led me to underestimate MHH so I didn't give Cochrane enough credit for their final game in the super south final which also led me to further underestimate MHH. Cochrane's scores show that they're good but they dominated almost every aspect of that final except for the glass. WC didn't have that problem at all, and I didn't think they would, but our perimeter guys couldn't keep up with MHH perimeter guys. Watching Cochrane's guards and wings manhandle MHH's skill guys on both ends of the court was like watching college players picking on jr high kids in a pick up game. MHH's perimeter guys are obviously really good but they just didn't look like it against Cochrane which should have said something for Cochrane rather than taking away from MHH. There is no question in my mind that Cochrane is the best team in 3A and I'd really like to see a Cochrane/WC match up at some point before the season is over.

With that loss, getting a top 3 regular season spot is almost impossible unless MHH loses their last 2 which is doubtful. That means we have to go through CCHS and Cardston for a chance to win the south and if we can't get by Cardston we have to go through LCI or MHH for a provincial birth. I do think MHH has a good shot and the south zone title despite their loss to Cardston earlier. Obviously LCI has something to say about it. I think this is how the regular season will finish:

1. Cardston
2. LCI (because of their win over MHH)
3. MHH
4. WC
5. CCHS

That loss makes for a tough road ahead. The big draw next week is the WR Myers game which should be really really entertaining.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketbill

PostSubject: Winston - Lethbridge   Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:58 pm

I have watched teams from Winston many, many times. They always seem to have some pretty good players but they never seem to be able to play together. Lots of one on threes and questionable shots. When Kenny was there he was good enough to overcome the lack of team play because he was just that good. He scored +60 points one game. I don't think they are poorly coached I just think it's an attitude that has taken over. It's the "I am a sick baller" attitude overpowering the "we are a pretty good team" concept. Just my thoughts...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CardstonCougar420

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:35 pm

WOW!! @12321 WC over CCH?! After watching the MHH game tuesday i can't see WC placing in the top tier of the league. MHH let up in the second half and didn't even play all starters. Number 23 had eleven points after the first quarter and was benched by coach because of technical foul. Also, their main big man was playing limited minutes due to sickness?(#15). WC on the other hand could not have had any better luck, with the help of hometown refs and crowd behind them. The coach didn't seem able to handle the pressure of playing in a big game. Many players on WC lacked energy in the forth because their inexperienced coaching didn't play any deeper than their sixth man. In conclusion. Look For LCI and Cardston to remain on top while CCH and MHH turn some heads down the stretch
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:42 pm

They actually already beat CCHS so thats a given. I don't think MHH will lose to CCHS so CCHS will finish 5th regardless of the outcome of the WC/WRM match up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CardstonCougar420

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:47 pm

I think that WC will fail to perform later in the season. During the early season they had momentum only because of their success against 3A competition. WC is an emotional team that will have a tough time recovering after a tough loss. Once conistently getting beaten by stronger opponents WC will most likely not be able to turn it around. They will come into zones on a losing streak and could possibly be out first round against Raymond.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:21 am

That's an interesting angle to take and probably a shot over the bow of all of 3A schools but its unlikely to unfold as you suggest. WC will be a 4 and CCHS will be a 5. Raymond will 8. Cardston will be 1. Oregon draw. Think about that just for a minute, re-read the post if you have to and then type in who you think Raymond will play in the first round.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CardstonCougar420

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:48 pm

Raymond will most likely play lci first round. I was only using raymond as an example to express how it is quite possible for anyone to lose to anyone. This year playoffs are going to be determined by who comes into zones on a streak. The CCH/ cardston game should have made this evident. Not to mention WRs victory over lci. It is fair to say that most teams are incapable of playing at their best every game. We can expect to see numerous upsets in the near future. Who do you see in the south zone final? @12321
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:57 pm

I haven't heard much about that CCHS Cardston game other than it was close. What happened there?

The WR Myers win over LCI was early and LCI had a bunch of injuries so there is more to that than just the score. It does suggest that 3A teams aren't necessarily easy wins as you allude to in your last post.

I'd like to see a WC/LCI match up in the finals but I wouldn't bet my money on it if I'm being honest about it. If I was going to bet money my own money right now I'd say a Cardston/MHH final but a lot could change in the next few weeks as you suggest. I'm actually headed out of province on a bit of a surprise trip and it looks like I'm going to miss the next couple weeks or so of games so feel to post some details. Bad timing. Family planning should ALWAYS take into account basketball season. I can get the scores but its nice to hear about how they went down.

@ CardstonCougar420 Your moniker looks like a bit of ruse. Still a cougar though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CardstonCougar420

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:44 pm

The cougar vs cougar game came down to the wire. The game went into double overtime and nico pisquoti of catholic central missed the shot for the win. Both teams battled hard. The intensity in the gym was impressive.
Also, the wr win over LCI, injuries my have been a factor. Without Karl LCI is a different team but they cannot rely on individual players to carry there team. Even the best highschool basketball players do not have the mental toughness to control their team game in and game out. LCI should still have beaten taber considering the talent on the team. Especially with help from ex CCH players.

And your comment regarding MHH in the final. I do not beleive that they will be able to keep the momentum. They have lost to teams they weren't expected to lose to. Last year, even with there senior shooting guard teagan wishart, they lost to Chinook after beating them by well over 30 points. The team has too many players looking out for themselves and not the common good of the team. But thats my opinion. Other than the WC game on tuesday i haven't seen many games outside of lethbridge. My evaluation of MHH is based mainly off their recent showing against te bulldogs?

Just curious..what teams in the league do you see performing well as a team and which teams do you see with an individualistic mentality?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:43 am

Thats the guy you want with the ball. Sounds like a good game. That kind of atmosphere is the best part of high school ball.

I think the teams that seem to really come together year after year are both those Cougar teams. In order to make that work you have to have a coach that demands respect and you need buy-in from players. The buy-in can change year to year (ie. focus on a big scoring threat or a certain strategy or whatever) but everyone needs to be on board. Obviously if you need good objective coaching otherwise it can be a train wreck.

I read a post on here that WC is a "me first" team. I don't see that. I didn't see it with MHH either. I have seen it this year with LCI. Its the player's attitude that having a career night and losing is better than playing a solid team game and winning. That team has a lot of talent and could do some damage if they were to pull that together.

I just checked the rankings and see WC did make an HM, probably based on the strength of that CCHS game earlier. Certainly not the MHH game. That will be an intriguing first round match up with a lot at stake assuming if it goes that way. I'm curious to see the scores from this weekend. And I really want to find out how that WR Myers game goes next week. Somebody please post something!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:24 pm

Chinook knocks off Cardston??? Anyone see it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ramfan

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:40 pm

Didn't see it but heard chinook had a dream night and cardston had no focus or passion. Guard Dysen went off for 30 which is a game changer, similar to what myers guard did in lci upset earlier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ramfan

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:00 pm

Regardless, carston still locks up first in league but will be tough getting #1 in prov now. Lci is licking their chops at chance for the zone vs chs in march!
Lci locks up #2 with a poor effort over kainai
Medhat locks up #3 with w over cch, heard it was a good game
Tomorrow's game with wc and myers will decide #4. Interesting to see if their leading scorer is back but hasn't played since christmas. If he isn't wc wins and finishes #4, if he is myers finishes 4th and wc #5.
Friday's game with cch and chinook will be a determining game for #5-7, cch should win that game over chinook but who knows after last night. A cch win and myers loss in either of their last 2 games puts cch in #5 and myers in #6, chinook at #7 and the bottom 3 are locked up as well with magrath, raymond and kainai. If chinook can pull off another upset the middle of the pack gets greasy with tie-breakers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:24 am

Wow. It doesn't change anything for south zone playoffs. It will drop Cardston in the rankings for sure. The biggest thing is that Cardston's last 2 games have shown a chink in the armor and that will be a powerful motivator. Probably a game the Chinook team will remember for a long time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:10 pm

I am not taking the win away from Chinook who I hear played a very strong game, but this is what I have heard about Cardston from the last 15 days.
There last home game was against Med Hat(according to south hoops).Jan 19
Since that time they have traveled to Calgary( that weekend) for the B.O.B. tourney and played a provincially ranked team in there own gym and won.
Came home( 1 days rest) played CCH in CCH and played into double OT and barely won.
Got on a bus the next night again and headed to edmonton. Played another provincially ranked team in the final in there own gym ( Harry Ainlay) and won.Came home on Sunday cause of the late night.
Got back on the bus two days later and went to chinook and looked like they had no passion to play and lost.
So in 15 days they played 9 games away , on a bus for a total of 9 days, slept in a hotel for 5 days and now everybody thinks Cardston is done.
If you have ever played high intensity bball you know it takes alot out of you, especially on the road in somebody elses gym and still win is a great accomplishment.
I give Cardston credit for what they have accomplished so far this year.. They now have to regroup and get rested for the final stretch, which I think they will do.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE TEAMS IN THE PROVINCE DURING THERE FINAL GAMES OF THE SEASON.
Back to top Go down
southball

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:33 pm

Well put SlimJim. That is a very tough schedule to stay on top of. Looking at that it's not all that surprising that the game went the way it did. Cardston faced increasing pressure as being the only undefeated team in Canada and they held composure quite well I'd say. It would be a mistake for them to drop significantly in the rankings. LCI lost to Myers early in the season and they have continued to move up. One bad loss coming off a schedule like that shouldn't determine all that much. I doubt many teams around this province could maintain that pace while playing tough games against ranked teams and winning. Cardston had the x on their back and Chinook wanted to be the ones to take them down. They wanted it more and they took advantage so cudos to them. It'll be interesting to see how they do against CCH tonight. If Chinook wants to take the step up here is their chance. As much as they wanted to beat Cardston, here they have an opportunity to knock off CCH and put themselves in the A division for the second half. But, something tells me that they won't have guys doubling their ppg average as they did against Cardston.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:55 pm

Did anyone see the WC/WRM game and has some details? Looks like a blowout from the score and I know Mike Pierzchala dropped 31. Does anyone know how the injury to Connor Layton is looking? They are a completely different team without him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:18 am

Looks like Chinook is on a roll they beat Catholic Central tonight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: South Zone   Today at 8:06 pm

Back to top Go down

South Zone
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next