HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Bad Weather?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
39forever

PostSubject: Bad Weather?   Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:22 pm

Did everytbody know the NBIAA is contemplating postponing all of the touraments this weekend because of the storm Friday night/Saturday. This could make for some interesting scenarios for rescheduling, especially for teams travelling big distances.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:19 pm

Minor association tournaments this weekend have already been cancelled.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dug Sea

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:23 pm

39forever wrote:
Did everytbody know the NBIAA is contemplating postponing all of the touraments this weekend because of the storm Friday night/Saturday. This could make for some interesting scenarios for rescheduling, especially for teams travelling big distances.

The NBIAA site is saying "Friday's games are on as scheduled and Saturday's games are postponed until further notice." Campobello and Grand Manan may not see their girl's teams for weeks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sidebyside

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:46 pm

Dug Sea wrote:
39forever wrote:

The NBIAA site is saying "Friday's games are on as scheduled and Saturday's games are postponed until further notice." Campobello and Grand Manan may not see their girl's teams for weeks.

Are players not safer in a hotel then on the road trying to travel home ? If they are already at their perspective schools, they should continue to play .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
C-N '06-'09

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:08 pm

sidebyside wrote:
Dug Sea wrote:
39forever wrote:

Are players not safer in a hotel then on the road trying to travel home ? If they are already at their perspective schools, they should continue to play .

I don't see why they just don't postpone the whole weekend and play Friday games Monday and Saturday games Tuesday. Permission to play games when necessary has been granted and it would be cheaper for schools traveling long distances. Our game is postponed until Monday already because the ASD-N super wouldn't let Dalhousie travel Friday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: Use some common sense   Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:21 pm

If you know that you are in Regionals use some common sense and book some hotels rooms. If you get eliminated early in the day cancel your room and head home. Or you could stay and enjoy some good basketball. In the North we are use to traveling and getting hotels. It s not that bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sidebyside

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:35 pm

poolie wrote:
If you know that you are in Regionals use some common sense and book some hotels rooms. If you get eliminated early in the day cancel your room and head home. Or you could stay and enjoy some good basketball. In the North we are use to traveling and getting hotels. It s not that bad.

I have to agree . It's been done before .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:03 pm

The problem for teams is the Superintendents of the province met and imposed a travel ban for Saturday and Sunday. No school team in the province may travel on those two days. Any team staying in a Hotel Friday night would not be allowed to travel home until Monday. That is why Dalhousie was told they could not play Friday, as their game was scheduled too late for them to be home Friday before the midnight deadline
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:33 pm

C-N '06-'09 wrote:
sidebyside wrote:
Dug Sea wrote:
39forever wrote:

I don't see why they just don't postpone the whole weekend and play Friday games Monday and Saturday games Tuesday. Permission to play games when necessary has been granted and it would be cheaper for schools traveling long distances. Our game is postponed until Monday already because the ASD-N super wouldn't let Dalhousie travel Friday.

This...to me....is the most reasonable course of action to take. Postpone the whole weekend and play Monday/Tuesday...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:11 am

This Friday on wait and play Monday+ is silly. It will work easily in some regionals in others your talking about 4-5 hour travels to be in regionals both days. NBIAA/ site managers should really be treating each tournament case by case and scheduling accordingly. IMO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Let me get this straight...the GM girls travelled to Grand Falls...played one game, went back home...will travel to Grand Falls again for a Tuesday game...if JC wins and GM finishes 3rd...then they will make another trip to Grand Falls on Friday..? Is this a possible scenario? Am I wrong? Possibly three trips to Grand Falls in a week...1 1/2 hour boat ride and a 3+ hour drive (one way)....sweet! If this scenario is possible...man...how ridiculous is that?

I think I'd be sending a bill to the NBIAA for travel expenses...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sidebyside

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:38 pm

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:
Let me get this straight...the GM girls travelled to Grand Falls...played one game, went back home...will travel to Grand Falls again for a Tuesday game...if JC wins and GM finishes 3rd...then they will make another trip to Grand Falls on Friday..? Is this a possible scenario? Am I wrong? Possibly three trips to Grand Falls in a week...1 1/2 hour boat ride and a 3+ hour drive (one way)....sweet! If this scenario is possible...man...how ridiculous is that?

The extra trip ( you would of had to do two anyway) is due to the weather . The funny thing is, Harvey couldn't make it on Friday but GM and McAdam did ????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:26 pm

sidebyside wrote:

The extra trip ( you would of had to do two anyway) is due to the weather . The funny thing is, Harvey couldn't make it on Friday but GM and McAdam did ????

Yeah...I understand that...and the boat trip is necessary..obviously. Just alot of travelling...that's all. I'm glad I'm not doing it...lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:35 am

This whole tournament process has been a disaster! I hope that district heads and NBIAA staff learn from this. This has been a total screwup. First of all, you cannot have a blanket decision for all tournaments, each tournament needed to be dealt with independently. When you have Campo and GM going clear to Grand Falls, that needs to be dealt with differently than the boys tourny in Harvey where everybody is relatively close. Secondly, don't ever split a tournament, either send everybody to their tournaments, play them out with the stipulation nobody can travel home until the weather clears and approval is given from proper authorities, or postpone the tourny entirely and replay on Monday/Tuesday. I know this creates a referee issue, but that seems to be working out for these tournaments to resume tomorrow.
I know living on Grand Manan is a choice and if we don't like it, move off....I get it. The fact is we do live here and that isn't going to change. We went away on Thursday to play on Friday. the weather held off Friday night longer than planned so we were able to get home that night, got off the ferry in a terrible blizzard (apparently it's ok for us to drive in a blizzard as long as we are on GM). If we had not gotten home that night, we would have been storm stayed on the mainland for Sunday and Monday because NBIAA stated noone was allowed to travel those 2 days, we could then have come home Monday morning, so that we could go back away Monday night to go back to Grand Falls to play again Tuesday, spend the night that night and get home Wednesday night, and possibly be heading back to Grand Falls on Friday again.
Why did Campo not have to come to Harvey and Harvey didn't go to Grand Falls, yet GM went to Harvey and McAdam and GM went to Grand Falls? Were some schools given an option and others understood that if they didn't go they would have to forfeit? Why are DP and Campo girls possibly playing their game in Fton, Harvey and TV girls possibly playing in Hartland, but GM has to play all of their games in Grand Falls (where all of those games should be played I might add)?
I may be venting here a little bit but having lived through this whole thing as a parent and driver for the team, I can tell you that you could not have come up with a plan any worse than the one that is being played out right now. I felt so bad for JC who had finally won the right to host a Regional tournament, had a truckload of food and volunteers there to welcome everybody, to now having some of these games possibly being scheduled in other towns and in other schools. I hope that the decision makers learn from this and come up with a backup plan for the next time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakercoach

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:34 am

I agree completely that each tournament has to be looked at individually. The only hope is that those responsible(superintendents) have as much passion about making sure things are done the right way as the coaches and players that are involved do. When there is a disconnect between those making the final decision and those at the ground level sometimes poor decisions are made.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:47 am

It could be a pretty simple fix if they were to have a buffer weekend between Sectionals and Harbour Station. Simply move the beginning of the season to November 1 or the first Friday of November instead of November 10 or the 2nd Friday of November. We all know that most start their programs before then anyway. Have the regular season run until January 27 to have league games in and begin Regionals on the following weekend on the 1st & 2nd( date will change but typically the first weekend of February), then Sectionals on the 8th and 9th , a down weekend on the 15th and 16th and finally HS on the 22 & 23. If storms threaten any of those tournaments simply move them to the next weekend.

With that all being said , had we had all the games played on Friday like they expected , why could they have not played today and finished up the tournament?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballnut

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:00 pm

that sounds like by far the best solution. Therefore it will probably never happen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:17 pm

BeeBall4Lifee wrote:
It could be a pretty simple fix if they were to have a buffer weekend between Sectionals and Harbour Station. Simply move the beginning of the season to November 1 or the first Friday of November instead of November 10 or the 2nd Friday of November. We all know that most start their programs before then anyway. Have the regular season run until January 27 to have league games in and begin Regionals on the following weekend on the 1st & 2nd( date will change but typically the first weekend of February), then Sectionals on the 8th and 9th , a down weekend on the 15th and 16th and finally HS on the 22 & 23. If storms threaten any of those tournaments simply move them to the next weekend.

With that all being said , had we had all the games played on Friday like they expected , why could they have not played today and finished up the tournament?

I don't think that you would want a possible two weeks between games....that is a long time. You could probably play an exhibition game(s), but what if a player(s) get injured..I know players can get injured at any time...but, I don't think I'd want a player getting injured in a meaningless exhibition game.

As far as I know...this is the first time that there has been issues with weather (at least to this degree) that this has happened during regional weekend. Maybe this can be discussed at the next NBIAA meeting or whatever....and at least discuss the issue. There has to be better options...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:44 pm

There has to be better options...

You mean like not having a 21 day playoff period for what is basically 3 or 4 elimination games?

No one as far as I can tell likes the 3rd/4th place game at these regional tournaments. With increased travel restrictions/weather issues having 3 weekends that will work out consecutively in Feb. is becoming increasingly unlikely. We see more and more games in the regular season and playoff situations getting rescehduled every year. Heck we had one playoff a couple of years ago where the best team didn't get to host because they couldn't get games rescheduled with weaker teams in their division. I understand we've got a format that is traditionally popular but it may not meet our current practical reality?

The only reason there was even 1 regional in AA this years is the top south/western boys teams didn't want league games against teams they felt they would beat easily and didn't want to lose weekends from the tournament schedule. There were no sectional tournaments in those leagues. Some years yes some no in the AAA boys/girls NE.

So really (For basketball) this is an A school travel reducer in the regular season and allows the AAA SW to not have to interlock and have a huge number of league games.

I'm not saying everyone should play interlocked.

I'm saying there has to be a better format for getting from 8 to 1 or in larger divisions 16-1 then 3 (possibly 4) elimination games and 2 potentially non elimination games spread out over 3 weekends in a 21 day period.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:45 pm

There has to be better options...

You mean like not having a 21 day playoff period for what is basically 3 or 4 elimination games?

No one as far as I can tell likes the 3rd/4th place game at these regional tournaments. With increased travel restrictions/weather issues having 3 weekends that will work out consecutively in Feb. is becoming increasingly unlikely. We see more and more games in the regular season and playoff situations getting rescehduled every year. Heck we had one playoff a couple of years ago where the best team didn't get to host because they couldn't get games rescheduled with weaker teams in their division. I understand we've got a format that is traditionally popular but it may not meet our current practical reality?

The only reason there was even 1 regional in AA this years is the top south/western boys teams didn't want league games against teams they felt they would beat easily and didn't want to lose weekends from the tournament schedule. There generarlly no regional tournaments in those leagues. Some years yes some no in the AAA boys/girls NE.

So really (For basketball) this is an A school travel reducer in the regular season and allows the AAA SW to not have to interlock and have a huge number of league games.

I'm not saying everyone should play interlocked.

I'm saying there has to be a better format for getting from 8 to 1 or in larger divisions 16-1 then 3 (possibly 4) elimination games and 2 potentially non elimination games spread out over 3 weekends in a 21 day period.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
C-N '06-'09

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:36 pm

Had they moved Regionals to Monday/Tuesday would we be having this discussion?

I would be all for an interlocking schedule if 4-point games were introduced. Since I coach in the NE "A" boys I'll use that as an example.
The North had six teams this year and the East had eight. One team from the "east" could move to the "north" to make and even split. Play home and home with seven teams and a 4-point game with eight teams. Rotate year to year which school the 4-point game is played in. Then you can either have 4 teams from the NE and 4 teams from the SW crossover, or have 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, etc. within each region and create a bracket. The playoff game within the region could take place on a week night in the school of the top ranked school of the two.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Campo02

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:08 pm

The reason that Campobello did not go to Harvey Friday was that school was cancelled on the Island. There was fairly heavy snow first thing Friday morning on the Island and school was cancelled so the team was not allowed to travel, which is policy here.
Someone said earlier no one likes the 3rd place games and I would agree that the way we pick the seeding is terrible.
I really like the way Maine runs their playoff schedule. There is a central location for each conference that hosts all of the games every year. They figure out the seeding from the regular season, what a crazy a concept that is. I also like their point system where every game counts for a league game no matter what class you play. So for an example I saw Hartland (A) beat Saint John High (AAA) earlier this year, Hartland gains more points for winning that game than they do for beating say Sam de Cham. You still play your divisional teams but any games beside that count too and the more difficult they are the more you stand to benefit from winning the game. It would make for some interesting match ups!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:18 pm

C-N '06-'09 wrote:

I would be all for an interlocking schedule if 4-point games were introduced. Since I coach in the NE "A" boys I'll use that as an example.
The North had six teams this year and the East had eight. One team from the "east" could move to the "north" to make and even split. Play home and home with seven teams and a 4-point game with eight teams. Rotate year to year which school the 4-point game is played in. Then you can either have 4 teams from the NE and 4 teams from the SW crossover, or have 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, etc. within each region and create a bracket. The playoff game within the region could take place on a week night in the school of the top ranked school of the two.

Who decides what team from the east gets to move to the north? I maybe wrong, but that would seem to lead to many arguments...and what if team ABC hosts a 4 point game one year...and doesn't field a team the next year? With the lack of junior programs...I think this might be a concern.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
C-N '06-'09

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:01 pm

C-N '06-'09 wrote:

Who decides what team from the east gets to move to the north? I maybe wrong, but that would seem to lead to many arguments...and what if team ABC hosts a 4 point game one year...and doesn't field a team the next year? With the lack of junior programs...I think this might be a concern.

The team that moves would be the team that geographically is closest. Maybe the whole idea of North and East or South and West would have to be removed and just be the Northeast and Southwest. There would be adjustments year to year regardless. I am not sure what the solution is to teams not fieling a team each year. Maybe it can't be a clear cut as one school hosts one year and another hosts the next year. Maybe there is a way to play 4-point games in an interlock tournament format (similar to AUS and Quebec in men's vball) at a neutral site with who hosts these "tournaments" rotating from year to year. Even if 4 school met in one gym it would save on travel. I certainly do not have all of the answers, but I am sure there is a way this could work as could many of the other ideas mentioned. Maybe an interlocking schedule only would look like this if there are X amount of teams that is predetermined and if there were fewer teams than X you still play home and home in your region.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:22 pm

Campo02 wrote:
The reason that Campobello did not go to Harvey Friday was that school was cancelled on the Island. There was fairly heavy snow first thing Friday morning on the Island and school was cancelled so the team was not allowed to travel, which is policy here.
Someone said earlier no one likes the 3rd place games and I would agree that the way we pick the seeding is terrible.
I really like the way Maine runs their playoff schedule. There is a central location for each conference that hosts all of the games every year. They figure out the seeding from the regular season, what a crazy a concept that is. I also like their point system where every game counts for a league game no matter what class you play. So for an example I saw Hartland (A) beat Saint John High (AAA) earlier this year, Hartland gains more points for winning that game than they do for beating say Sam de Cham. You still play your divisional teams but any games beside that count too and the more difficult they are the more you stand to benefit from winning the game. It would make for some interesting match ups!

How can this be remotely fair? What if GM wants to improve their 'resume' by playing 'AAA' teams...but, they do not want to travel to GM or even host them? Lets say GM goes 8-0 in league play and goes 1-3 against 'AAA' and Harvey goes 6-2 in league play and goes 4-1 against 'AAA'....Harvey is going to be ranked higher because they have 4 wins against 'AAA' but lost to GM twice? I think it would be easier for some teams to schedule 'AA' and 'AAA' teams than other teams....I think that would be very unfair.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Today at 9:07 am

Back to top Go down

Bad Weather?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next