HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Bad Weather?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:55 pm

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:
Campo02 wrote:
The reason that Campobello did not go to Harvey Friday was that school was cancelled on the Island. There was fairly heavy snow first thing Friday morning on the Island and school was cancelled so the team was not allowed to travel, which is policy here.
Someone said earlier no one likes the 3rd place games and I would agree that the way we pick the seeding is terrible.
I really like the way Maine runs their playoff schedule. There is a central location for each conference that hosts all of the games every year. They figure out the seeding from the regular season, what a crazy a concept that is. I also like their point system where every game counts for a league game no matter what class you play. So for an example I saw Hartland (A) beat Saint John High (AAA) earlier this year, Hartland gains more points for winning that game than they do for beating say Sam de Cham. You still play your divisional teams but any games beside that count too and the more difficult they are the more you stand to benefit from winning the game. It would make for some interesting match ups!

How can this be remotely fair? What if GM wants to improve their 'resume' by playing 'AAA' teams...but, they do not want to travel to GM or even host them? Lets say GM goes 8-0 in league play and goes 1-3 against 'AAA' and Harvey goes 6-2 in league play and goes 4-1 against 'AAA'....Harvey is going to be ranked higher because they have 4 wins against 'AAA' but lost to GM twice? I think it would be easier for some teams to schedule 'AA' and 'AAA' teams than other teams....I think that would be very unfair.

I would agree Maine is a different kettle of fish. They have really restrictive policy on number of games, access to athletes, etc. Their schedules are a big deal and they only play something less than half the games we play in NB. They have rules specifically geared to alloweing coaches to use tactics that can directly impact the outcome and competitive level of the game. (ie. No shot clock.)

Scheduling is a large problem in areas of NB as breaking into the circuit of the top teams in the province or getting teams who have a high number of teams locally to come play in your gym or finding games for some programs is even a problem.

If the coaches association was a little more prominent and could attract more people to meetings more often I would believe we could fairly organize a committee to deal with issues like rankings of teams, allstart etc. As it is right now though we often only get a dozen or so coaches at meetings to represent the entire coaching perspective in the province. Rankings would eliminate the need to seeding games and cross overs and simply allow you to move to playdowns.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Campo02

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:50 am

Grand Manan,
I was just mentioning I like the system better. There wouldn't be a lot of interdivision play because what benefit is it for a AAA team to play a single A team. The AAA team isn't going to get the points the A team would get from winning so there wouldn't be a lot of scheduling. The part I like about their system is that they don't have a host. You can be the number 1 team and you still have to play on a neutral court. So if that is the case then Harvey finishes first but what does it matter because the games are still decided at harbour station or the currie centre with out of area referee's. everyone is on the same playing field, if Harvey is first or second most likely Grand Manan is going to have to play them at some point anyway. If that game is not in Harvey I don't see how the number beside their name will change anything.

Just to clarify I AM NOT for eliminating a shot clock or playing 32 minute games. I just like their point system.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Campo02

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:03 pm

Also, don't expect to get any sympathy on the "getting teams to come to Grand Manan" issue when your boys had as many home games in their tournament as we did all season. I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before teams are requesting we play our home games in St. Stephen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BumptheCutter

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:03 pm

What are Hartland and Campo gonna do tonight....it's snowing like a mother trucker in Harvey right now??? Hope they brought sleeping bags!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Campo02

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:47 am

Well half of the Campobello team ended up having to sleep in the school in Harvey after the game, and the other half got to go home because the had 4 wheel drive. Maybe if they had bothered to plow the roads in Harvey it would have been alright. A HUGE thank you to everyone at Harvey High School for their hospitality!! They provided blankets and pillows, food, soap, towels and showers for everyone there.

Thank you to Hartland too for keeping your starters the game and running a play for a 3 pointer with 7 seconds left in a 35 point game. Great way to end our season, we appreciated it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:08 am

Campo02 wrote:
Well half of the Campobello team ended up having to sleep in the school in Harvey after the game, and the other half got to go home because the had 4 wheel drive. Maybe if they had bothered to plow the roads in Harvey it would have been alright. A HUGE thank you to everyone at Harvey High School for their hospitality!! They provided blankets and pillows, food, soap, towels and showers for everyone there.

Thank you to Hartland too for keeping your starters the game and running a play for a 3 pointer with 7 seconds left in a 35 point game. Great way to end our season, we appreciated it.

Are you serious? They didn't just dribble it out?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Campo02

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:11 pm

True story! It's not a big deal but I was kind of expecting them to just dribble out the clock.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:55 pm

Hartland is just getting excited, sign of a team that has not been in the limelight for 10 years other than the girls. Championship calibre teams do not do foolish things like that at the end of a game. Can't say what goes around comes around, as others wouldn't do that.

Last edited by Metta Peace on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Warrior98

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:06 pm

I'm a fan of playing until the buzzer. Dribbling the ball out isn't real basketball. This is playoffs! Trying to score and playing defence until the end is real basketball. I can see why Hartland did this. This is how the warriors always played...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:04 pm

Real Basketball ...Good to know that the CIS, NCAA, Pros do not play real basketball. I think it is a sportmanship thingy unless a point spread is involved but not in the case mentioned above. More or less a mood point for some.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DBL

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Any scores from Grand Falls and Stanley?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sidebyside

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:58 pm

DBL wrote:
Any scores from Grand Falls and Stanley?

JC
DP
Harvey
GM
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lakers14

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:06 pm

I agree with warrior98 besketball is played for 40 min. And what i saw is it just moving the ball very well and one of their players from the bench shot it up, he was probably excited! Whats the deal if its 35 or 38 they play the full 40 every game, that will win a team ball games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:27 am

"Playing until the end" in a blow out does your team very little good. You are obviously running something against an inferior team, or one that has nothing left to play for.
It's not quality practice so therefore isn't valuable.
It is on the other hand a good way to get hurt. I know a lot of players who, if their team is down 30 and the other team calls timeout and runs a play with 7 seconds left, are going to do anything in their power to stop that play.
It's adding insult to injury.
Brutal sportsmanship and a real good way to get hurt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:36 am

Birdman33 wrote:
"Playing until the end" in a blow out does your team very little good. You are obviously running something against an inferior team, or one that has nothing left to play for.
It's not quality practice so therefore isn't valuable.
It is on the other hand a good way to get hurt. I know a lot of players who, if their team is down 30 and the other team calls timeout and runs a play with 7 seconds left, are going to do anything in their power to stop that play.
It's adding insult to injury.
Brutal sportsmanship and a real good way to get hurt.

My thoughts exactly!! Its not a good coaching decision and anyone who has played the game very much at all knows that you dribble out in a large deficit...it's just "a respect thing"....an unwritten rule! That is why the CIS, NCAA AND NBA do it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lakers14

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:59 am

There is no play there as I could see,the ball just got passed around the three point line and the bench player through it up. Come on its playoffs teams need to calm down. I can understand if it was a starter and they did a play for him to shoot, but that was not the case there, ive seen Harvey shoot up a three many times with 2 seconds left and they have never got a complaint so why can't Hartland?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:38 am

There is no better way. You just have to control the things you can control.

If a team wants to shoot, or a team wants to dribble. They've got to do what they've got to do.

What if the team has an Autistic manager they want to put in to shoot to three's at the end of the game. What if they've got an exchange student on a team who's never played basketball before and wants to score a point. What is If a kid is going for a record? What if there is a rivalry issue? What if the point spread matters in the rematch? What if a kid who isn't supposed to shoot just gets worked up and goes off plan. Or is a jerk and goes off plan. What if . . .what if . . . what if . .

I'm not saying any or all of these is a common occurcence or was close to the case here. All of these things happen in a context. Unless you understand the entire context or motivation there is no point in judging it. All you can control is things you can control.

I've been in situation where we run clock late in games and coach is upset we're embarrassing his kids.

I've been in situations where you play the full forty and let kids play and the coach is upset we're embarassing his kids.

I've had our worst player have to put up a three with the shot clock expiring in the last minutes of an easy win for us and had it bank in then the coach get upset we're embarrassing his kids.

I've had a coach put in a manager in a wheel chair late in a game and ask if it would ok if we let the kid get a hoop. (We did).

There are so many contexts, situations, dynamics and team issues going on that having a blanket rule for what is ok and what isn't in late game situations in impossible as no one repsonse is ever right or wrong all the time. Just deal with things you can control.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:52 am

Hartland was up by 35 in a game where point spread did NOT matter and played the ENTIRE game with at least 3-4 staters the whole game including the last 3 minutes when any coach not trying to run up the score puts in his entire bench! No one is saying lay down and stop playing but don't rub it in others faces and yes at that point spread the ball should be dribbled out if there is less than 24 seconds.......Laker14 I am not sure who you are but I have watched almost every game this year and have seen maybe a late shot taken maybe twice but it sure wasn't with a 35 point lead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballnut

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Who cares. What difference did it really make 35 38 the end result is still ther same you lost. If they were trying to show you up i am fairly certain they could have won by more than that I have seen you both play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:28 pm

ballnut wrote:
Who cares. What difference did it really make 35 38 the end result is still ther same you lost. If they were trying to show you up i am fairly certain they could have won by more than that I have seen you both play.

This is the type who WOULD NOT dribble it out
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lakers14

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:14 pm

I do recall last year at HS at the half time of our Lakers and the Eagles game the Hartland boys got a sportsmanship banner with the exact same team as they have this year? Am i right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballnut

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:22 pm

Yeah I believe you are. And no i am not the type to do that in a game but I am the type who could care less and go on and try to get that 35 point loss to less than that and not care about 1 shot at the end of the game.You can bash all you want at the end of the day they are for the most part a good respectful bunch of kids that are polite and well coached.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Campo02

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:10 pm

Oh boy. I just said I was a little annoyed. If they would have had 5 bench players in things would have been different, shoot it up do whatever... But they had 3 or 4 players in that had been in the entire game including 2 players on the all star ballot while we had our deep bench on for the last 4 minutes. I wasn't calling them a disrespectful team or anything like that. We just dribble the ball out if we have a huge lead like that, we teach that. I don't see anything wrong with playing hard for 39 minutes and 40 seconds then holding off to show some respect. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad Weather?   Today at 6:40 am

Back to top Go down

Bad Weather?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2