HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Matthew Ellis

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
allaboutball

PostSubject: Matthew Ellis   Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:34 am

Wow! Went to watch Grandin play against Ernest Manning and was treated to the Matthew Ellis show. What an amazing player that kid is. Anyone know what he is doing after high school?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joe hammond

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Ellis   Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:46 am

He is a tall body but he is very skinny for the post-secondary level. He won't be ready to get minutes for 1-2 years after high school. I have seen him a couple of times this year. I found him to be lazy, trotting at half speed on defense as he repeatedly would get beat down the floor for layups, not getting after loose balls, and just an all around casual and nonchalant play. I think he is a risk for CIS teams but a good fit for ACAC teams. Needs a couple of years of development before playing with the big boys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allaboutball

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Ellis   Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:52 pm

REALLY! Not sure we saw the same kid, as he was all over the court and worked hard for the whole 38 mins that he played. I would think that any CIS would be happy to have him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
localhoopfan

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Ellis   Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:34 pm

He's a terrific young player and is only in grade 11 so has plenty of time to add muscle and strength. He is a tremendous shot blocker and his offensive game is coming around. He was on the U17 Alberta team last year as a first year (he can play again this year in a Canada Games year), started for the team and was their best post player. I understand he has already generated some reasonable CIS interest and more exposure on the national stage will only help that.

As will be the case with most boys this age, some nights they will be on fire and others they might struggle depending on how rested and well fed they are on a given day! But from what I've seen over the past number of years in school, community, club and Alberta ball, this young man has many more of the good nights than the "others".

Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoops4all

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Ellis   Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:13 pm

Nothing but love for the Ellis kid. Anytime I have seen him play< he keeps his cool, while being double or triple teamed, always plays hard at both ends of the court. Don't be a hater mr hammond.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cgyball96

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Ellis   Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:30 pm

hammond is likely a cydc rep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Ellis   Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:36 pm

I want to get in on this one.

Ellis is a fine player. His biggest strength is his shot blocking ability but his offensive game is coming along. I agree with joe hammond in that I do not think he's ready for the CIS yet but he is only a Jr so the next year will be important for him as it is with every high school player. He certainly needs to add more muscle and strength. He's very similar to Magrath's Scott Gieske, another Jr. Same size, height, length, build and style of play. I think Scott may have a more refined offensive game but I think Matt has a bit more compete in him and handles the ball a bit better. I think the ceiling is higher for Matt. He definitely needs to work on his composure and anyone who says "he keeps his cool, while being double or triple teamed, always plays hard at both ends of the court" isn't being entirely objective. I do think that will come with a bit of maturity. I'll go out on a limb and say he'll be on a CIS roster somewhere after next year.

cgyball96 - after all cydc and nph has done for you from an exposure standpoint, one would think you'd have a little less hatred toward them. I understand Matt left Foundation for Genesis last year anyway. Is there more there? Maybe a SWC/Foundation vs Grandin/CYDC thing? If you put that on the court, you're going to move up from 8 to where you should be.

I don't want to limit this discussion to Matt Ellis. Maybe this should be a new post but i don't think it matters. What "seniors" this year appear to have what it takes from a size, skill, work ethic, ball IQ and compete level to be able to move to the next level? Keep it real like joe hammond's post although "lazy" was way too harsh and there are obviously some huge positives that weren't mentioned. And don't post for yourself, your son, your nephew ie allaboutball. I'd like to hear some really objective comments with explanations. I suppose radar discussions with ACAC and CIS coaches would be easier but this will be more fun.

I'll start.

Brandon Karl - LCI. Could he move on to CIS or is he just too small? Maybe an LC player next year? There are a lot of guys just like him already there. Will there be enough turnover at LC to have anything open up for him?

Joel Lutz - Cardston. Intriguing. Needs a lot of refinement. Is he capable right now to play CIS? I'm sure he'll make an ACAC roster with his size but will he get enough development to make a jump after 1 year?

Emmet Cook - Already headed to UofC as an announced recruit. Does he make the squad and play like Karch, Gill or Ligertwood or does he end up like a Handel or Hamaliuk who should be playing for Red Deer although considering the talent level at Red Deer this year I'm not sure they'd fare any better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoops4all

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Ellis   Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:27 pm

So,I am not objective, allaboutball is related to him, cgyball96 has some ulterior motive involving some Foundation/cydc SWC/Grandin connection? Thats quite a theory
The kid can play, from what I can see he h as little support on his team and substandard coaching, Time will tell where he ends up
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Ellis   Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:26 am

I agree with everything you just said. Time will tell but I still think he'll end up on a CIS roster in 2014.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matthew Ellis   Today at 5:11 am

Back to top Go down

Matthew Ellis
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1