HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Harbour Station winners?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Harbour Station winners?   Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:06 pm

Congrats to all teams...are these good games to watch? Just wondering, the stats aren't pretty...usually more turnovers than made field goals. I know it's just high school ball...but 70 turnovers between SVIC & Rothesay! SVIC had 30 more fg attempts and still lost...that seems bizarre to me...but, I can't watch the games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dewey_NB

PostSubject: Re: Harbour Station winners?   Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:09 pm

First up Congrats to the Carleton North Stars on their win today, it didn't go the way I wanted but that's life, but it was no blow out like a few posters said or wanted, Kudos to the Thunder boys you had a great year, keep your heads up...Great job boys...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Harbour Station winners?   Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:16 pm

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:
Congrats to all teams...are these good games to watch? Just wondering, the stats aren't pretty...usually more turnovers than made field goals. I know it's just high school ball...but 70 turnovers between SVIC & Rothesay! SVIC had 30 more fg attempts and still lost...that seems bizarre to me...but, I can't watch the games.

Lots of variables. Specifically to the SV RHS game all but one of RHS's best skilled kids are grade 10's and they played large stretches early in the game looking like 10th graders who just landed on the moon. There was a stretch where they went almost 4 minutes without a shot attempt. Complicate that by the fact that SVHS is scrappy and out worked them, but gives up 3-5 inches at every possition. SVHS got a ton of well contested shots that had no chance of going in but created lots of long or bizzare rebounds to get run down.

In general reasons for this sloppy play, increased turnovers, at these games based on what I saw (in no particular order):

1) The moment. There is a distinct difference especially early in games between kids/teams who've been there before and kids/teams who haven't. Woodstock struggled mightly through stretches. as did RHS/FHS girls, early on in both games all three teams dominated the play because they had kids who had been there and done that.

2) The setting. Its not the comfy confines of a gym so shooters sitelines tend to be off/combine that with adrenaline you can see a lot of missed shots. It being high school basketball in NB when kids and teams start missing jumpshots what do they do. Calm down and adjust to work to keep getting open looks for people. Nope, start jamming that ball that rim trying to get to he foul line or tough runner. Defense knows this too and the key looks like a packed elevator on a lot of possessions. Yet kids go running and crashing in their any leading to sloppy plays, missed passes, tipped balls and, jumps/travels.

3) Officiating. What you get the is generally very good officiating with everyone watching. They get a couple of guys who often haven't worked together before in the biggest games of these kids lives so they want to do a good job and give the kids an opportunity to play. So what I see in a lot of these games is more of college style called game then a high school game most kids get during the year. They try to let more contact go or at least be very tight on advantage disadvantage determining the call. On the flip side these are the best officials so they have the best eye for things like travels, key violations etc. So you get jacked up kids playing a little out of control in a game with more bumping and what tighter footwork being called then most of them are used to. I think if you had stats for teams year long, then sectionals and provincial finals you would see that the number of turnovers would increase at each stage for this reason too.

4)Kids being kids. They get caught up in the moment or the energy and make plays or take shots they wouldn't normally. Passes who too much omph or they feel more pressure to score/shoot/make a play on a possesion then they normally would.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
C-N '06-'09

PostSubject: Re: Harbour Station winners?   Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:36 am

I wish the officiating was like that all year. I love the amount of contact that was allowed.

How was the Rogers broadcast this year? From what I could see on the big screen it didn't look bad, but what was the commentary like?

Any idea who put in bids for 2014-16? This was the first year I've made it to Harbour Station to see the Final 8/12 and I thought it was a lot better than watching at the AUC. I am sure Fredericton's bid will be for the Currie Centre though.

Also, BMHS fans, you were awsome! Without a doubt the best fans of the weekend (no offense to the other 10 schools). It was so great to see 3-4 rows of students who thought they were watching a D1 game in the States.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Sense

PostSubject: Re: Harbour Station winners?   Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:13 pm

The BMHS fans were good, but the largest and loudest crowd by far was the WHS vs CN game...however, who is the jv coach for CN....that guy is an embarrassment. Carleton North, you will probably be back there next year, please leave that guy home. After several CN fans moved around him, finally he was asked to move....are you sixteen years old buddy? Seriously, what are you trying to prove?

Besides that, FHS is clearly the best boys team in the province. The AAA final was obviously last weekend at FHS with Leo Hayes.....sadly, nobody touches FHS next year...at least not in this province. KV, you had your chance last year, this year was a smackdown!

Early Predictions: Next year we will see three repeat winners for the boys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Red Auerbach

PostSubject: Re: Harbour Station winners?   Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:46 pm

Great games! I agree that the CN and Woodstock fans created the best atmosphere for that game...and what a great game. It could have gone eaither way. The RHS girls team also had great fan support. Now the next question is where will all this talent play this summer? This is a Canada Games year but the Mill Rats will be in their second year of bringing teams to the US for AAU tournamants and daily training in Saint John. Head coach David Cooper was working HS quite extensively and approaching the best players after the games. It shall be interesting to see if Mill Rats Elite and BNB can co-exist / cooperate or if it will be an all out competition for talent.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: Harbour Station winners?   Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:18 pm

BeeBall4Lifee wrote:
GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:
Predictions:

'A' Girls - ok...hands up for people who predicted this final...that is what I thought. Caledonia by 7. What happened to the so called JC dynasty??

'A' Boys - I have a bad feeling about this game...most everyone is picking Hartland..that usually means the other team wins...'Hooligan High' by 5. I really hope I'm wrong...

Saturday...other than the 'AA' boys final...the rest should be a bore....

'AA' Girls - Is there a game that people care less about? Ya...neither do I...wake me when the 'AA' Boys game starts... Sleep

'AA' Boys - Teams you do not want to bet against once they reach this stage - GM, the Evil Empire and Woodstock...the Warri...err...Thunder by 4. If CN wins, that would be good too...

'AAA' - Girls & Boys - the 'Evil Empire' will win both games without much problem. No..KV is not going to win.........again.

Can you explain to me what my son and his team has done to be called a hooligan in your eyes Doug? The 80's are over .....thank god......

He sounds bitter for some reason...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dewey_NB

PostSubject: Re: Harbour Station winners?   Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:49 pm

Just a side note to the AA boys Finals, I have myself got caught up in the reffing, at times in the past probably said a few words, in the Finals I thought for most the refs did a descent job, but what really surprised me, when any or most calls the were directed towards the stars a fan from the other side went nuts and to be direct he refs, I was just surprised one who refs would RIP another brother apart, maybe he got caught up in the moment , still surprised....Go Thunder Go...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dewey_NB

PostSubject: Re: Harbour Station winners?   Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:51 pm

Common Sense wrote:
The BMHS fans were good, but the largest and loudest crowd by far was the WHS vs CN game...however, who is the jv coach for CN....that guy is an embarrassment. Carleton North, you will probably be back there next year, please leave that guy home. After several CN fans moved around him, finally he was asked to move....are you sixteen years old buddy? Seriously, what are you trying to prove?

Besides that, FHS is clearly the best boys team in the province. The AAA final was obviously last weekend at FHS with Leo Hayes.....sadly, nobody touches FHS next year...at least not in this province. KV, you had your chance last year, this year was a smackdown!

Early Predictions: Next year we will see three repeat winners for the boys.
Ha ha, well must of been something wrong with the air in that section because the guy I was talking about in my earlier post was behind the JV coach, and actually the jv coach was talk too, but did not move
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Harbour Station winners?   Today at 6:10 pm

Back to top Go down

Harbour Station winners?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3