HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Acaa/ CIS prospects

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
coachnb6

PostSubject: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:08 am

Guys just wondering who you thought who could play at the next level after high school? or if you know of anyone who is?

also do you think "A" kids have the talent to make CIS?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
observer

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:50 pm

I don't think that there are any current A grade 12s that will play at the CIS level next year. Not sure there are any ACAA prospects amongst A grade 12s this year either. Many of the top A players are still a couple of years away from having to make that decision.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballer2

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:18 pm

Male or Female?
there will be a decent class of both going to play for ACAA.....i follow mostly female teams/players
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:02 pm

I cannot speak in detail to the males but looking at the female side. There is a decently large group that could make a number of small college teams, some candidates for the top small college teams and a couple of CIS potentials.

This is a tough question because to be fair when I look at all of the small college teams we've got a lot of kids in the province who could make a team if they went to the right school. I see some ACAA teams with 8-9 players or offering agriculture degrees, so if you go there and play ball at all there may be a roster spot waiting.

But here's some kids I'm familiar with.

The more interesting question would be how willing CIS schools are to take a flyer on a kid who's only really played in NB at a small rural school environment. I know they've passed on a bunch recently. STU hasn't though and now they are one of the best small colleges in the country. Somone knows something somewhere.

Small College

Katie Cadman (TRHS) - Undersized and I can see questions about her athelticism/defensive abilty but any small college team can use the compsure and instant offensive threat she would bring as a shooter.

Kelly Marcolin (RHS) - would fit in nicely on any small college roster if that was the route she wanted. She would have to adapt her game to become an impact player at that level but could definitely make a squad and contribute.

Olamide Ojuawo (RNS) - is interesting I put her in this category despite having the build and athleticsm to play at a much higher level. She is strcitly a back to the absketball player at this point and has a number of footwork and skills issues to overcome. Not sure what her plans are but any small college squad willing to keep coaching up her skills would be lucky. Maybe even the right CIS fit as a project at her size.

Leah Robinson (SVHS) - Could play somewhere too. She's long, athletic and can score.

Alisha Bulman (BMHS) - Could make a nice player in the right situation. Smart, tough, decently high skill level. Grat basketball IQ.

Briar Lapointe (OHS?)- Smart, hard working, great skill set. Not sure if she'd be a very good small college player or role player with potetential at a larger school but someone would benefit from having her on the roster.

CIS

Grace Wade (BMHS) - She's going to be a great guard for whoever picks her up, if she wants to go there and play. With her skill set and size she will need the right coach/situation to succeed but could definitely play at the CIS level would be a great ACAA player.

EMily McLeod (WHS)- Built to play CIS. Big body, tough. Grinder inside who again needs a situation and coach that fits her to excel.

Others

There are a ton of other great kids who's names I'm not sure of or I'm not sure of the grade. Dalling? Sussex very tough could play either way. Balser Riverview. Really good perimeters at Trimble and JMH that could play small college at least somewhere.

Again it depends on the standard. There is a big gap between the top of the ACAA and the bottom and the bottom could thump some small colleges in Ontario. Also a big difference between making a CIS roster in the AUS and becoming a CIS player. Lots of kids in the province who can and should play at all those levels though.

Last edited by CoachDJR on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stripes

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:54 pm

CochDJR,

That's a great update. I just wished you had listed the schools as I didn't recognize all the names. By the way, Wade has chosen UNB and I think she a chance to excel there. I also think the Storey girl (can't remember her first name) from Trimble could develop into a good college player as she's strong and very athletic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballer2

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:58 pm

Stripes wrote:
CochDJR,

That's a great update. I just wished you had listed the schools as I didn't recognize all the names. By the way, Wade has chosen UNB and I think she a chance to excel there. I also think the Storey girl (can't remember her first name) from Trimble could develop into a good college player as she's strong and very athletic.

Eb ( Eilien) storey, and she's not playing ball next year- has chosen to focus on her studies

Katie Cadman will be a great player somewhere, she may be small, but she sees the floor very well, and as quoted in the Moncton times paper on Friday, probably the best shooter in NB-female or male.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:23 pm

The list of graduating seniors on the male side with the capability to play CCAA is quite long but as CoachDJR said in his post, those players need to find the right fit. The players that I think have the potential to play CIS are...

Erik Nissen (KVHS): Interest from almost every CIS school across Canada plus a few NCAA D1 schools. Will be an impact player at the CIS level if he goes that route.

Kyle Rogers (Moncton): Best PG in NB this season. Can break people down, shoots the ball very well but it's his passing that has stood out this season. A couple of CIS programs have been talking to him. Should be a solid CIS guard by year 2 or 3.

Ben Cripps (Leo Hayes): Most underrated elite player this season. He has all the physical tools to be a stretch 4-man at the CIS level.

Nathan d'Entremont (KVHS): Above average defender. Has talked to a couple of CIS schools but looking like he'll be a red-shirt in first year. If he can improve his shooting and ball handling he could be a solid CIS combo guard.

Alex Carty (FHS): Has had a great season playing the 5-man for FHS but can not play that position at the CIS. If he finds the right situation he might be able to play the 4 spot but needs to get comfortable playing away from the basket. If he goes the CCAA route instead he would be a rotation player.

Evan Roberts (Simonds): He's been one of the best scorers in NB this season, however, he would need to convert to shooting guard at the CIS level. Would also need to show he can defend M2M (Simonds plays zone) against other great 1-on-1 players. Could help any CCAA program.

Mike Armstrong (Saint John): Everyone has an opinion on big Mike but the reality he's 6'10" and a gym rat. Hard to teach that. Even though he needs to develop in most areas, almost all CIS programs would be willing to develop him.

Mark Graham (KVHS): Has the ball handling and shooting skills of a CIS PG but needs to become a better defender and play maker before he'll be a rotation player at that level. Would be an excellent CCAA PG.

Others that should be the radars of CCAA coaches...Josh Whalen (LHHS), Oliver Langille (Riverview), Zach Thorne (BMHS), Thomas Lindsay (Simonds), Jake Livinigston (SJHS), Dan McShane (SSHS), Jacob Eatman (LHHS), Travis Power (SSHS), Devin Elsemore (SSHS) and Costa Kolyvas (KVHS)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:43 pm

bballer2 wrote:
Stripes wrote:
CochDJR,

Eb ( Eilien) storey, and she's not playing ball next year- has chosen to focus on her studies

Katie Cadman will be a great player somewhere, she may be small, but she sees the floor very well, and as quoted in the Moncton times paper on Friday, probably the best shooter in NB-female or male.

We played Tantramar a couple weeks ago. Before the game I said to my player covering Katie, "If you let her shoot the 3 she will hit them all night". First trip down the floor Katie stops about 5-7 feet behind the 3pt line next to me and swishes one. My girl looks at me and I laughed and said, "I told you". She looks back at me and said, "You didn't say not to let her shoot when she stepped over half". The look on her face was priceless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
bballer2

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:54 pm

Coachmac wrote:
bballer2 wrote:
Stripes wrote:
CochDJR,

We played Tantramar a couple weeks ago. Before the game I said to my player covering Katie, "If you let her shoot the 3 she will hit them all night". First trip down the floor Katie stops about 5-7 feet behind the 3pt line next to me and swishes one. My girl looks at me and I laughed and said, "I told you". She looks back at me and said, "You didn't say not to let her shoot when she stepped over half". The look on her face was priceless.

Too funny!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
70s Baller

PostSubject: East Side   Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:55 pm

Hardfouls list is a good one, especially for the western side of the province. Here are some prospects from the East, especially at the ACAA level:

Sean Davis (HTHS): great kid with a good outside shot. Decent size for ACAA team in need of a depth shooter.

Kris Brine (HTHS): quick point guard who can penetrate and finish. Hear he may be playing football, tho, at Acadia.

Andrew Ryder (MHS): good three-point threat who can also finish in traffic.

Shaik Bundy (MHS): must be on all ACAA recruiting lists. Great three-Point shooter and among most athletic players in the province. Needs to be a little tougher in traffic.

Ben Wishart (MHS): undersized and not a big scorer but among the best defenders in AAA. Routinely shut down opponent's best player.

Brett Pierce (BMHS): switched to point guard this year with impressive results. Good size for this role at college level.

Nolan Levy (JMH): Best-kept secret in AAA. Great size, good finish, as much raw talent as there is in N.B. Will some work but definitely worth the effort.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachnb6

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:14 am

Hardfouls wrote:
The list of graduating seniors on the male side with the capability to play CCAA is quite long but as CoachDJR said in his post, those players need to find the right fit. The players that I think have the potential to play CIS are...

Erik Nissen (KVHS): Interest from almost every CIS school across Canada plus a few NCAA D1 schools. Will be an impact player at the CIS level if he goes that route.

Kyle Rogers (Moncton): Best PG in NB this season. Can break people down, shoots the ball very well but it's his passing that has stood out this season. A couple of CIS programs have been talking to him. Should be a solid CIS guard by year 2 or 3.

Ben Cripps (Leo Hayes): Most underrated elite player this season. He has all the physical tools to be a stretch 4-man at the CIS level.

Nathan d'Entremont (KVHS): Above average defender. Has talked to a couple of CIS schools but looking like he'll be a red-shirt in first year. If he can improve his shooting and ball handling he could be a solid CIS combo guard.

Alex Carty (FHS): Has had a great season playing the 5-man for FHS but can not play that position at the CIS. If he finds the right situation he might be able to play the 4 spot but needs to get comfortable playing away from the basket. If he goes the CCAA route instead he would be a rotation player.

Evan Roberts (Simonds): He's been one of the best scorers in NB this season, however, he would need to convert to shooting guard at the CIS level. Would also need to show he can defend M2M (Simonds plays zone) against other great 1-on-1 players. Could help any CCAA program.

Mike Armstrong (Saint John): Everyone has an opinion on big Mike but the reality he's 6'10" and a gym rat. Hard to teach that. Even though he needs to develop in most areas, almost all CIS programs would be willing to develop him.

Mark Graham (KVHS): Has the ball handling and shooting skills of a CIS PG but needs to become a better defender and play maker before he'll be a rotation player at that level. Would be an excellent CCAA PG.

Others that should be the radars of CCAA coaches...Josh Whalen (LHHS), Oliver Langille (Riverview), Zach Thorne (BMHS), Thomas Lindsay (Simonds), Jake Livinigston (SJHS), Dan McShane (SSHS), Jacob Eatman (LHHS), Travis Power (SSHS), Devin Elsemore (SSHS) and Costa Kolyvas (KVHS)

I also believe Beck for rothesay, Mahdrid James CNHS should be added to this list
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baller001

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:20 pm

Some of the kids mentioned above have the ability to play at the CIS level but as we have seen in the past many of these kids dont get the right opportunity to do so. Depending on the year and how most AUS schools may not even look at the talent in New Brunswick. As mentioned above many schools are recruiting guys that are 1 or 2 years deep into their eligability and have contributed at the CCAA level. We can thank Quebec for this also as those who play in the CCAA play for two years against university level players without using their eligability. These factors all play roles into why our home grown talent may not get the opportunities they deserve and are often times more interested in an ACAA school where they grow and develop.

Also does anyone have any idea where any of these kids mentioned above have committed or are thinking about committing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WJF

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:03 pm

Devin Elsmore will be heading to Dalhousie AC, very nice pick up for this program that is in a new era of rebuilding.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:55 am

I'm hearing lots of rumours about where players are going to land in the fall but I think this is the first official signing...

http://northpolehoops.com/2013/04/24/canadian-recruits-troy-reid-knight-erik-nissen-join-maine-black-bears/

Has there been any other announcements?
Back to top Go down
Baller001

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Tue May 07, 2013 10:04 pm

From what I have been told apparently both Ben Cripps and Josh Whalen will be going to St. Thomas next year. Do not know if it is official or anything but there is a good chance I would presume.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Wed May 08, 2013 8:21 am

Here is a list of Canadian commitments (CCAA not listed). Only one NB'er so far...
http://www.hoopstarscanada.com/news.pl?nid=85
Back to top Go down
WJF

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Wed May 08, 2013 9:44 am

Hardfouls wrote:
Here is a list of Canadian commitments (CCAA not listed). Only one NB'er so far...
http://www.hoopstarscanada.com/news.pl?nid=85

Unfortunately the CCAA is treated like a second class citizen when it comes to reporting recruits. Many coaches put in endless unpaid hours reaching out and recruiting players to build their programs. It is time for the CCAA to start to get more respect on the level of play.

On a related topic, Marcus Robinson, 6'4" guard out of Sussex will also be heading to Dal AC to join Devin Elsemore in what is turning into a deep and program changing recruiting class for this school. While Devin will more than likely see minutes early, Marcus will be more of a developmental player, needing to work on some strength and foot speed in order to compete at this level, but he brings a great IQ for the game and excellent length for a 2/3.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Tue May 14, 2013 9:46 am

I played against Kyle Rogers last night in HTHS spring league. Damn he's quick. Glad I didn't have to guard him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Wed May 22, 2013 1:08 pm

A couple more announcements this week...

Quispamsis' d'Entremont to join Basketball Axemen in Fall

Pair of New Brunswick Players commit to Mount Allison Mountie Basketball
Back to top Go down
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Mon May 27, 2013 10:45 pm

Another NB'er to play CIS this fall...
NB hoop prospect joins the V-Reds for 2013-14
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Wed May 29, 2013 8:25 pm

Where's Evan Roberts going next year?

Last edited by BayBaller. on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Wed May 29, 2013 10:09 pm

I'm pretty sure Evan well be attending UNBSJ. The official announcement hasn't come out yet but I've been told it will be coming out soon along with a couple of other names.
Back to top Go down
brady12

PostSubject: university recruits- women   Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:52 pm

here's what I hear, corrections updates welcome:
UNB- Grace Wade, Laura Kaye, Annika McConachy;
Acadia- Emily Macleod;
STU- Alysha Bulman, Mackenzie Balser
UBC(OK)- Kelly Marcolin;
MTA -Katie Cadman;
DAL- Olamide Ojuawo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WJF

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:11 pm

Now that rosters should be final, any confirmed word on new recruits in the ACAA from NB, who made teams, who showed up, who did not get into school?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Acaa/ CIS prospects    Today at 9:05 am

Back to top Go down

Acaa/ CIS prospects
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HoopLife Forums :: High School :: New Brunswick-
Jump to: