HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hoopstar

PostSubject: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:42 pm

I know Grade 9 is tough to call however, who are the favourites based on tournament play throughout the year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikeyb

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:32 pm

VC, Terry Fox, Riverside, Panorama, Mouat are all strong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bulldog10

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:54 pm

Dr.Knox from the interior is very strong, if they are allowed to play in the Gr.9 provincials. Not sure if they play in JV league. They came to Lower Mainland and easily beat some good Gr9 teams. Kits would be one of the favourites.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:10 am

Fox vs Panorama Ridge in Valley final
RC Palmer won the V&Ds
Kits won the City title.
I think VC won the Indy title.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sunnyok

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:31 pm

bulldog10 wrote:
Dr.Knox from the interior is very strong, if they are allowed to play in the Gr.9 provincials. Not sure if they play in JV league. They came to Lower Mainland and easily beat some good Gr9 teams. Kits would be one of the favourites.

The Knox team have beaten VC and Kits(twice) by more than 25-30. They have won all the gr 9 tourneys, with little competion. Will be interesting to see if a coast team can play with them. Very solid team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuyLafleur

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:52 am

I'd put Dr. Knox, RC Palmer, and Kits as the top 3.

Dr. Knox beat Kits handily and Palmer by 2-3, and Kits has beaten Palmer twice.

Fox, Panorama Ridge, and VC are also all up there.

If Churchill's 9s were all playing down, they'd be the number one team hands down IMO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:58 pm

VC aren't that good.

Winner will be one of Knox, Palmer, Kits or Fox.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballerbc

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:13 am

id say palmer takes it this year
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sunnyok

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:06 pm

ballerbc wrote:
id say palmer takes it this year

i have been impressed with the way Knox plays as a team and have used entire bench with defeating thier peers. they havent lost a game vs gr 9 teams, winning by more than 30-40 on most nights and i believe they have only lost 1 or 2 games against gr 10 competion. not sure if teams will be able to match up with thier size, speed and strengh.

what makes you predict Pamer? how did Palmer fair this season?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:02 pm

I heard Dr Knox has three overaged kids playing. Whats up with that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuyLafleur

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:29 am

@sunnyok: I believe Palmer just won the V and Ds and they've lost 4 games that I know of this year. To McMath by 2, to Dr. Knox by 2 twice to Kits by 8 and 10. They're not a shoo-in to win the BCs but definitely in the top 3-4 teams this year.

@JrCoachS: where did you hear that? do you mean grade 10s are playing down on the grade 9 team? wouldn't this have been reported by someone?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sunnyok

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:39 am

@JrCoachS: where did you hear that? do you mean grade 10s are playing down on the grade 9 team? wouldn't this have been reported by

this i how rumours start. Lol. They are all gr 9 , who all attend 7-9 Middle school. That's it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:37 pm

They may be in grade 9. Doesn't mean they aren't overaged. Could have failed or been held back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KTownBeatDown

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:39 pm

Knox doesnt have any grade 10's playing..The Three kids who should be in grade 10 were held back for whatever reason years ago. Most top teams have a couple of overagers anyway..Even with the older kids the challenge for them is Maturity. They do have Parker Simpson who is a phenom but dont have a big man per say. They also waste too much energy on looking flashy and when they get into close games their immaturity comes out. Also with Coast Referees calling a tighter more consistant game they will get into early foul trouble and dont have the bench to compete..After their top 3 players they dont have a lot of depth..It would be great for The Okanagan to win at this level but the coast teams are far too battle tested. I put them top 4 but hope I'm wrong and they find a way to win.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoopstar

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:44 pm

Knox will win going away.

1 - They have 2 of the top grade 9 players in the province in Parker and Matt (including kids who play Junior)
2 - They have not lost to a grade 9 team and have played a tough schedule with tournaments on the coast
3 - They are very deep with very few players who can't compete at that level

No doubt in my mind that Knox wins and I am definitely NOT a Knox fan.

I am a fan of Okanagan kids getting a bit more recognition.

Maybe Knox winning will help change the perception that our kids can't compete with teams from the coast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sunnyok

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:58 pm

I would like to say that I have been very impressed with how the Knox team plays together, there entire bench would be starters on any other team. If you can come close to stopping Matt or Parker, then you need to figure out how to stop Davide, Nav, Jon,Jae,Nick,Tristen,Braxton,Matt or Jordy. I would never jinx a team and say they will win it all. However, they have all the tools to come out and dominate the gr 9 provincials. I am not a parent or biggest fan, but will give credit when due. Very impressive to watch. More polish and poise than many Gr10 teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuyLafleur

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:54 pm

sunnyok wrote:
I would like to say that I have been very impressed with how the Knox team plays together, there entire bench would be starters on any other team. If you can come close to stopping Matt or Parker, then you need to figure out how to stop Davide, Nav, Jon,Jae,Nick,Tristen,Braxton,Matt or Jordy. I would never jinx a team and say they will win it all. However, they have all the tools to come out and dominate the gr 9 provincials. I am not a parent or biggest fan, but will give credit when due. Very impressive to watch. More polish and poise than many Gr10 teams.

A lot of your posts have been about the Dr. Knox grade 9 team and you're able to rattle off almost every other player on their roster and then you say you're not one of their "biggest fan"s. It's fairly obvious you're linked to the team somehow, whether it be as a player, coach, parent, student, or alumni of Dr. Knox. It's okay to support a team, don't need to hide it Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuyLafleur

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:09 pm

Any updates on games from the provincials?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:47 pm

Quarter Finals
VC over STA by 8
Dr Knox over Saints by 40
Kits over Fox by 6
Palmer playing West Van for last semi final berth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuyLafleur

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:17 am

So semi-finals are:

Dr Knox-VC

Palmer-Kits

I'm predicting a Dr Knox-Kits final.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:46 am

Final
Dr Knox vs Kits

3rd place
VC vs Palmer

5th place
Terry Fox vs Saints
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuyLafleur

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:22 am

Dr Knox beats Kits 114-94 to win the championship.

Palmer beats VC 61-48 to win bronze

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:26 am

208 points in 32 minutes. Insane.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sunnyok

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:55 pm

Solid win for an Okanagan team. Good job Knox!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sunnyok

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:57 pm

Parker Simpson with 46 in finals and tourney MVP. That boys makes it look easy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?   Today at 5:26 am

Back to top Go down

Who are the favourites for Grade 9 provincials?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next