HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Girls basketball

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
nightballer

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:00 pm

St. Mary played very strong and had some awesome games[strike]

Last edited by nightballer on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://networksbasketball.net
obsever

PostSubject: BOB Tourney   Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:19 pm

Francis beat Centennial by 15 in the final .No details as of yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nightballer

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:02 pm

does anyone know when the last ranks come out
Back to top Go down
beeballin

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:06 pm

Monday, March 1, 2010

Rankers to begin reviewing ExNet for game results for the third period

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Rankers to submit their regional top 10 and honourable mentions into the ranking system for viewing by other rankers; discussion among rankers to take place

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Rankers to choose their provincial top 10 and honourable mentions from among the regional selections after considering results from the final weekend of competition

Monday, March 8, 2010

Provincial top 10 and honourable mentions for all classifications are posted on the ASAA website
along with all wildcard berths
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: rankings   Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:38 am

Wow, good luck rankers! HM beating ranked teams etc. Cardston did lose some to lower ranked teams then turn around and beat (Cool LCI then (4) Raymond by 25 tonight! Shocked

Last edited by Southfan on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shecanplay

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:01 pm

Yes Good luck Rankers! Here is a little info for the rest of us. Please feel free to add your comments.

Previous rankings
Archbishop O'Leary Edmonton - only beat Bev Facey by 1 in league play, had some success in tournaments
Bev Facey Edmonton- who have they beat?
Cardston High South - lost to Scona in O/T and Scarlett by 14
Centennial Calgary - lost to St. Francis, beat Mary's early
Dr. EP Scarlett Calgary - Beat Cardston split with Centennial and Mary's
Harry Ainlay Edmonton - enough said
Jasper Place Edmonton- beat Churchill by 3 Cardston by 5 lost to SG
Lethbridge Collegiate Institute South- sorry but who have they beat?
Raymond South - not too sure how they got ranked #4
Ross Sheppard Edmonton - lost to St. Mary’s Western Canada and Cardston
Sir Winston Churchill Calgary - beat St. Mary’s by 2, but has yet to beat St. Francis
Spruce Grove Composite Edmonton - lost to Scona in St. Mary’s tournament
St. Francis Calgary - beat Centennial but not sure who else?
St. Mary's Calgary - lost to Henry Wisewood in league play by 24 this week
Strathcona Composite Edmonton - beat Spruce Grove but lost to St. Mary’s
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:12 pm

I believe Scona also, lost to jp this past week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketball is fun

PostSubject: The rankings are all out the door   Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:14 pm

Previous rankings
Archbishop O'Leary Edmonton - only beat Bev Facey by 1 in league play, had some success in tournaments
Bev Facey Edmonton- who have they beat?
Cardston High South - lost to Scona in O/T and Scarlett by 14
Centennial Calgary - lost to St. Francis, beat Mary's early
Dr. EP Scarlett Calgary - Beat Cardston split with Centennial and Mary's
Harry Ainlay Edmonton - enough said
Jasper Place Edmonton- beat Churchill by 3 Cardston by 5 lost to SG
Lethbridge Collegiate Institute South- sorry but who have they beat?
Raymond South - not too sure how they got ranked #4
Ross Sheppard Edmonton - lost to St. Mary’s Western Canada and Cardston
Sir Winston Churchill Calgary - beat St. Mary’s by 2, but has yet to beat St. Francis
Spruce Grove Composite Edmonton - lost to Scona in St. Mary’s tournament
St. Francis Calgary - beat Centennial but not sure who else?
St. Mary's Calgary - lost to Henry Wisewood in league play by 24 this week
Strathcona Composite Edmonton - beat Spruce Grove but lost to St. Mary’s

I do not know Calgary teams very well.

I do know the South and Edmonton teams. Raymond is the best team in the south and will end up in the top 3-5. Cardston is a titch behind Raymond and will end up, legitimately between 5- 7th. LCI does not really fit in the top ten with the exception of their beating JP in Calgary. Did JP have some of their better players injured, it just seems like an exception.

O'Leary, SG, Scona. JP and Facey are all very very good teams and deserve to be in the top 10. They can compete with Raymond and Cardston for a win at provincials. Whichever one of those 7 teams have a good provincial tourney can win it all..... 2nd place that is.

Someone else will have to handicap Calgary.

My favorite to win provincials ( ie 2nd)--- Scona- can beat SG, they cannot beat JP (lost twice) but SG will beat JP for Scona at the Edm championships and then Scona can go to provincial and kick butt. Scona is big, fast, athletic and are very well coached. I think that is their advantage over Raymond (too big) too quick (over O'Leary and Cardston) too well coached (over SG and JP).

Ainlay forget about it!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: !!   Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:17 am

basketball is fun,
I would like to believe that Raymond is a titch better than Cardston but after Cardston beat us by 25 on saturday I would have a hard time convincing anyone of that. cardston played very good team ball and if they keep that up, look out the rest of the province. They could easily be ranked #2! ya I know they had some losses lately but we could argue till we are blue in the face about losses, injuries, sickness etc, etc, etc.
Let the real games begin now !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketball is fun

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:09 pm

Surprised to see Raymond lose to Cardston. And by 25. I watched that team play in Spruce Grove and they lost to ABJ and JP neither of which are elite Edmonton teams. I remain confident that we (Scona) will see both Raymond and Cardston at provincials and can beat either team for 2nd place

This is going to be a great tourney this year. Too bad Harry Ainlay is involved
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:21 am

updates from edmonton playoffs anybody?????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rareair

PostSubject: Edmonton playoffs   Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:28 am

Semi finals- for Edmonton Public:

Ainlay all over Strathcona 109-49
Spruce Grove over Jasper Place 80-67

3rd place game- Jasper Place over Strathcona 75-59

Final- We gave them a bit of a run....down 8 with 8 minutes to go in the 4th but ran out of steam. Final 79-55.

Metro final- St. Albert vs. O'leary- not sure who won
Metro 3rd place- Bev Facey vs. Archbishop Jordan- game is on Monday
Note that becasue St. Albert is 3A....O'leary is the top 4A team from metro and Facey/ABJ will play for 2nd/3rd in 4A metro on Monday....both teams to Edmonton zone playdowns.

On another note, the Strathcona coach (nightballer on here) was hospitalized with some heart issues on Thursday and was not able to coach this weekend. Keep him in your positive thoughts as he is doing okay, but is still in hospital.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:55 am

I believe SACHS defeated OL by 2 in the final. A great season for the hawks. Sounds like SG gave HA one of their better tests of the seasons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lycurgus1011

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:36 pm

SACHS beat O'Leary by two in a well played, fast and exciting game. The game was tied when a 3 shot foul was called on O'Leary at the final buzzer. The SACHS player sunk 2 of 3 shots for a 2 point win. There was no time on the clock but the refs decided to put 0.1 seconds up to allow the foul shots. Too bad we didn't get to see some overtime. It was very disappointing for the Spartan team and fans... but it was a whale of a game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shecanplay

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:21 pm

Calgary updates

Calgary South:
Centennial finished first undefeated.
Scarlett was 2nd - beat St. Mary's on Monday, Wisewood on Tuesday, and lost to Centennial by 8 on Thursday.
St. Mary's ended up finishing 3rd because of their losses to Centennial Wisewood and Scarlett.
Wisewood was 4th

Calgary North:
Francis finished first undefeated.
Churchill finished 2nd - they were beating Francis in the first quarter when their coach T'd out. Game was called - score 20 to 0 for Francis as per FIBA.
Western was 3rd - unable to beat Churchill or Francis in league play.
Aberhart 4th - unable to match up to the top 3 in league play.

On Tuesday:
Aberhart vs Centennial
Wisewood vs Francis
St. Mary's vs Churchill
Western vs Scarlett

Good luck to all the teams and postive thoughts and wishes for the Scona coach.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:17 pm

Rareair,
How does the edmonton crossover go, and how many edmonton teams advance to provincials?

Thoughts are with Scona coach, hope he is back coaching soon!

Hey "Basketball is fun",
I thought you said, your team (scona) was the team to beat for 2nd in the province? Looks like you wont even be going to provincials!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rareair

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:27 pm

Hey Southfan...
The Edmonton zone playdowns are long and complicated! Instead of me explaining them, follow this link to a schedule. If you check the link over the course of the week the scores are updated.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/metroedm/Basketball/bb4ABoysGirls.pdf

If Edmonton gets 2 wildcard spots, the Saturday morning game will send both teams and the game will be for ranking purposes only. Let me know if you need further explanation as it is complicated!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beeballin

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Southfan that was kind of an insensitive remark...first of all nightballer is the head coach of the Scona girls, and as he was hospitalized, what type of effect would you expect that to have on the girls. Aside from the fact that they were likely all exceptionally worried, they also had to contend with the fact that while playing their game(s) lacked Ron's coaching presence and abilities. No offense intended, but jeeze that's kind of a big hit for a team to take, no need to rub it in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:33 am

Sorry, not intended that way at all. Comments were directed at Basketball is fun, not Nightballer!

Rareair, why would edmonton get 2 wilds? Would not each edmonton,calgary, and the south each get 1 wild card! They each have 3 or more ranked teams each.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nightballer

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:14 am

Hey, Thank's for all the kind words i really appreciate those who put them out there. I try hard not to take the remarks that are on this site personal, but when times you can help it. Even though you were trying not to be it did bother me. So i will write this....

I am not making excuses, but on Tuesday we lost Britt in the game against Edmonton Christain. Our second leading scorer, and rebounder. She is my #1 captain, and the person who keeps the players together on the floor. She can hit the big shot when she is open, and will give all she has for the team. On Thursday on the way to practice, my heart started beating so fast i could barely stand up, however because it was my last practice before the weekend i thought i could suck it up and still get the girls ready for the games against Ainley, (JP or Spruce Grove), however after practice i broke out into a cold sweat and went straight to emergency. I was taken in at 2am, and admitted at 8am. At 10am i was told that i would not be out until Sunday. My wife was told i had a mild heart attack and had to call the school at 10am to let the team that i would not be able to make it to the games on the weekend.

We (Scona) knew that we were not going to beat Ainley who pressed us the whole game, however I just read that we were down by 8 until the fourth quarter aginst JP,and we got out scored by 7 in the 4th. I guess until you have a chance to experience what i did this weekend you could never know how it feels, because i feel like it is my fault we lost both of those games.......I aprreciate the girls on my team and i love the fact that they put their heart into the weekend and gave it all they got however, I would like to see if any team in any league (besides Ainley) take out one of there top players and coach and still win again those two teams or any team the way this year is going........So yea i think that we could be the second best team in the province, we are actually the only team to beat them.....Has anyone else beat Spruce Grove besides Ainley........

Now that i am done with that, i want tell you all this....

Also something amazing happened this weekend. You see, i was born with 3-holes in my heart that closed when i was 10 years old, but left me with an irregular heart beat. My heart would flair up from time to time, however this time it sent me to emergency. But because of my ECG the doctors thought i had a heart attack, until they saw my history of heart disese. Once they saw that my heart beats this way all the time they wanted to figure out if they could fix it and turns out because of a new procedure, they could fix my heart and make it have a regular heart. If had not gone into the hospital they would have never saw that i had a problem and it would never have gotten fixed, so..... even though we lost, i won. I have a heart that beats like everyone else for the first time in my live and i thank god for it. i know my team would trade a win so I could be around longer without worrying about my heart........So South Fan there is always next year.....

please do not get on south fan for remarks posted i know South fan did not mean it to hart me.....but i had to put this one our there so people can see that i am o.k. and will return next year...... have a great finish i know we did..........Scona rules hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Back to top Go down
rareair

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:57 pm

Final rankings and wildcards are out:
http://www.asaa.ca/new/basketball/4AGirls.php

Wildcards go to: Edmonton, Calgary, South
This means that 4 teams from each of Edmonton, Calgary, and the South will go to provincials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andone

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:13 pm

For clarification for the 4A South Zone Girls?

Are they allotted 2 berths, plus a host berth, plus a wildcard berth to give them 4 berths?

And their zone playoff grid shows 5 teams, so essentially 5 teams are playing for 4 spots?

Is this a correct interpretation or way off the mark?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rareair

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:17 pm

Andone...that is the correct interpretation. I believe Catholic Central is travelling to Medicine Hat tonight for the 4th/5th game...the winner will automatically go to provincials and will play out the remainder of their zone playoff for a potential higher seed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketball is fun

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:27 pm

Southfan wrote:
Rareair,

Hey "Basketball is fun",
I thought you said, your team (scona) was the team to beat for 2nd in the province? Looks like you wont even be going to provincials!

Southfan

I believed that our team with Coach Hopkins could win the provincials this year (ok, 2nd anyways). His heart attack was devastating. He is the leader and his absence along with the loss of one of our on court leaders was just too big a gap to overcome.

Believe that you also asked someone why the South shouldn't get a wild card. The answer to that question is straightforward and easy to answer. Edmonton, this year, has a very very competitive league. I do not know Calgary this year at all. They, too, may have additional worthy teams deserving of an extra wildcard. Our team and Ross Shep the defending provincial silver medalist did not even make it to the City crossover games. Bev Facey and ABJ both honourable mention do not get to go to provincials. Each of those teams are very worthy candidates and would be seeded in the top 12 at provincials.

I do not know who the 4th team from the south is but in an elimination tournament with Scona, Shep, Facey and ABJ, the S 4th team would end up 5th and get beat rather handily by us, Facey and ABJ. We have beaten the # 2 team in the province (who loses very infrequently to anyone not named Ainlay) and as recently as 3 weeks ago ABJ beat Cardston.

The S 4th team beat who again?

I forgot wildcards are to be given out according to geography not to the best teams.

None of the above is a criticism of Raymond, LCI or Cardston who are all real good teams that will challenge for the provincial finals
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nightballer

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Because, Basketball fan has backed me all last year i will not let this person stand alone.....Because i am sure if my team could travel to Medicine Hat, or Grande Prarie just to get a chance at provincail we would go.....i would not bad mouth any team especailly Med-Hat because Jamie played for my summer, and i wish her all the best. But we beat Medicine Hat in the Opimist Tournament with five player missing and using 4-junior players.....All that being said, i never thought going to provincail was fair but you have to show up at the end of the year to get there, and again we did not make it...However, now we are hungry and really want to make this work next year.......so look out next year.......The only thing that i am confused by is how the south got a wild card and Edmonton did not get 2.. We beat cardston ABJ beat Carston, then cardston beat Raymond......St. Albert High beat Cenntenial etc........out the top 15 team how many are on Edmonton and only 4-get to go......but this year is over and again there are complaints.....i would like to finish this thread by saying thanks to all of the people for doing the rankings and good luck to all the team in provincails.............
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Today at 7:34 am

Back to top Go down

Girls basketball
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7