HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Girls basketball

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Lycurgus1011

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:15 am

Looking forward to this weekends games. The Reb organizers have done a great job drawing in top teams from across western Canada.
I only hope JP does a better job posting the results than FX did.
-gus
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rareair

PostSubject: REB update   Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:57 pm

First round scores from REB:
Spruce Grove 77 Oak Park 52
St. Albert 60 Jasper Place 57
O'leary leading Carson Graham by 20 midway through the third
Ainlay up 48-6 at half over St. Joseph's.

Semi's tomorrow:
Spruce Grove vs. St. Albert
O'leary vs. Ainlay
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:28 am

Rareair,
The semi's should be very interesting, good luck tomorrow and Saturday
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: NOANKLES   Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:32 am

Hey, Noankles where the heck are you??????
It was your green and gold tournament. I was looking for all of your analysis and opinions I seriosly really miss them!!!!

Come back to us!!!!

Rocketman, where are you? Higher Hoops is almost over, we need your insight!!@!! Lets hear from you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:07 pm

New to this forum, my first posting.

As per Southfan's request, I can fill you in on the Calgary Classic basketball tournament (formerly Higher Hoops), going on this week in Calgary.

Tournament format different than previous years, the schools have been segregated into 3 divisions.

I will be commenting on the "A" division only, which comprises of the top 8 ranked teams in Calgary: Western (1), St Mary (2), St Francis (3), Centennial (4), Scarlett(5), Churchill(6), Bishop O'Byrne(7) and Henry Wisewood(Cool

First round winners: St Mary, St Francis, Scarlett and Wisewood.

Western has been devastated with injuries and defections and will not be a factor this year. Churchill is still to young but could come on at the end of the year. O'Byrne is not deep enough and will be hard pressed to make the City playoffs. Centennial is big, talented and deep and their game with Scarlett went down to the last shot. A terrific game. Centennial will be one of the top teams this year in Calgary.

Second round winners: Scarlett and St Mary.

Scarlett beat Wisewood in a very sloppy game. Wisewood is big and deep, but lack team speed and are turnover prone. Game was close until the 4th quarter, when Scarlett blew them out and won by 16. St Mary beat Francis in a close contest, winning by 5, but Francis best and biggest player, their centre, Arianne(also played on the Juvinille provincial team) did not play due to a knee injury.
When she comes back I believe that Francis will be the best team in Calgary.

Prediction of final winner: Scarlett

Scarlett is small, but very fast and athletic, with numerous scoring threats. They are vunerable on the defensive boards and bigger teams like Centennial got alot of 2nd and 3rd chance points against them. They will challenge for the City title but their size will ultimately do them in. St Mary has 1 player, Claire Colburne, but she is a great scorer and if she can get a little support from the rest of the team, they could surprise alot of teams.

Calgary has 4 or 5 good teams, but no exceptional teams this year. It will be a very competitive league.

Unfortunately, no one will challenge Harry Ainlay for the the provincial title this year.

Hope this was helpful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rareair

PostSubject: REB   Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:12 am

2nd round of REB
Consolation semis
Oak Park over Jasper Place by about 25
Carson Graham over St. Joseph's by 7-8

Championship semis
Spruce Grove over St. Albert 71-61
Harry Ainlay over O'leary 59-40
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rareair

PostSubject: REB final games   Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:03 am

3rd place- O'leary over St. Albert by 2
Final- Ainlay 85 Spruce Grove 56
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lycurgus1011

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:38 am

other REB results

Consolation OakPark 86 Carson Graham 61
Seveth Place Jasper Pl 78 St Joes 45

The HA Titans were clearly the strongest team in the tournament. The Plouffe girls dominated play. I didn't see all the games, but I think they only lost lead once when O'L pulled ahead by one in the middle of the second quarter of that game. O'L dug deep and had the closest loss to HA

Fridays SG vs STA was a very entertaining game. Great two way action with SG coming out on top by 10 but it was very close throughout most of the game with the lead changing hands frequently.

The 3rd place game, O'L vs STA, started off with STA pulling ahead by about 9 before O'L got on the board. O'L battled back and evened up but still trailed through most of the game. STA three pointers just kept dropping in. In the last 2 minutes O'L pulled ahead by 5, STA sank another 3 pointer but ran out of time. Its going to be great fun watching STA & O'L in the metro league season.

I said in an earlier post we'll see who's for real. Clearly HA is the team to beat. O'L played well as did SG & STA.
Over at the Shep Totem classic, I see Scona took it to both ABJ and Bev Facey to win the championship.

My predictions for the two city leagues:
Edmonton Metro - #1 O'L #2 STA
Edmonton Public #1 HA #2 SG or Scona - can't call it yet

-Gus
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:48 pm

Update on Calgary Classic tournament (formerly Higher Hoops):

Division A winner was Scarlett 84 and St Mary 68

Never really that close, Scarlett was ahead for the entire game and when St Mary's made a run Scarlett easily answered with their own run to keep the spread at about 10 points.

Division B winner: Central Memorial over Cresent Heights by 23 points.

Even though Scarlett won, I predict that St Francis will win the City final, with Scarlett, Centennial and St Mary's fighting it out for the next 3 spots.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Rankings   Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:57 pm

Ok, now we have had a tournament in all 3 main areas. What are the rankings going to be?????? Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nightballer

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:38 am

Here are my perdictions

1 Harry Ainley
2 Carston
3 Spruce Grove
4 EP Scarlett
5 O'Leary
6 Raymond
7 St. Mary
8 St. Francis
9 Scona
10 Centennial

May be i will get ridded for this however is my best......and it is anyones guess on the rest........good luck trying to figure this one out................... afro

Last edited by nightballer on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://networksbasketball.net
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:27 am

What about St.albert , should they not be ranked! Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rareair

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:40 am

St. Albert is 3A and will be ranked quite high there I am sure!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:47 am

Here goes with my top ten predictions based on results to date:

1. Harry Ainlay (with the twins no one will touch them this year)
2. St Francis (when their centre comes back they will be big and perhaps the only team in the province with the size to compete with Ainlay)
3. Spruce Grove (based on the results of last year with a young team. But I think O'Leary will surpass them in Edmonton)
4. Cardston (for now since they beat Scarlett early but Scarlett played awful and I think is the better team)
5. O"Leary (I like their coach and their size)
6. Scarlett (their lack of size will hurt them, but are the most athletic team in the top ten)
7. Centennial (lost to Scarlett so I have rank them for now below Scarlett, but they are big and deep)
8. Scona (don't really know them but they deserve to be here based on their early results)
9. St Mary's (have 1 great player that will score 40 points a game, after that not much and because of their 2nd place finish in the Higher Hoops, deserve a top ten for now, but don't think they will be there at the end of the season)
10. Raymond (too small and too young, not the team they were last year)

After Ainlay a number of different teams could be 2nd to 10th. Will be an interesting year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rareair

PostSubject: rankings   Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:25 am

No busses running out our way today so I have some time to get out my guesses for who should be top 10....

1. Ainlay
2. Scarlett
3. O'leary
4. Cardston
5. St. Francis
6. Spruce Grove
7. Scona
8. Raymond
9. St. Mary's
10. Jasper Place

HM- Churchill, Centennial, Facey....

Just my initial guesses....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:33 pm

I think you have to rank Cardston and Raymond above Scarlett. At LCI Scarlett lost to Cardston in the final and Cardston did not play as well as they played against Raymond. The championship game was the semi final against Raymond.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:27 pm

Sorry I have to disagree with you, Southfan

I also saw the Scarlett/Cardston game. Based on Scarlett's most recent play it was Scarlett that played very poorly, especially that 3rd quarter. They also suffered 2 injuries in the prior game that affected their rotation. During the Higher Hoops tournament they played several teams that I think are better than both Cardston and Raymond.

Please note that based on current results I have ranked Cardston higher than Scarlett because of that win, but Cardston must really improve to keep up with the top teams from Calgary and Edmonton.

As for Raymond, they are both too small, lack depth and more impotantly to young this year to win against other top teams. They are not the team they were last year.

Of course this just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nightballer

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:36 pm

My opinion is based on how i know, because I do not know much about the south and Calgary, so can really only go on the teams i know. However, i agree with rareair that the top-ten will be a lot deferent if St. Albert high could be Ranked in 4A. they are very impressive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://networksbasketball.net
Southfan

PostSubject: St. Albert   Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:12 pm

Could they not opt up to 4A like Raymond and Cardston do?
Raymond is actually 2A and Cardston 3A.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rareair

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:24 pm

Sure they could...but why would you? They would currently be no better than 4th (based on their record) in Edmonton right now. St. Albert is a very good and well coached team and I have nothing but respect for their coach and program. If only 4 teams get out of Edmonton they would be in tough. They beat Facey in overtime, Jasper Place by 3, and have lost to SG, O'leary and are not as good as Ainlay. If they declare 4A the path to simply get to provincials is tough. At 3A, they will be a top 3 team (my guess) and compete for a provincial championship. Raymond and Cardston do not have the depth of competition in their zone that St. Albert would have. Historically they only have LCI to compete with and most years that zone gets 3 spots so the path to provincials is not nearly as tough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:06 pm

Rareair,
Ya, makes sense, very good explanation. I think Raymond should go 3A this year!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:56 pm

Who is better than STA in 3A? Highwood? Springbank? They must be the favorites to win it all this year. I am surprised that several teams have closed the gap on SG, especially since the spring season. SG was handling most teams by 20/30 in shorter games and now that spread is down to 10. Are they missing a key player? STA added an impressive grade 10 from Was St and made them a 10 point better team. They will challenge for the top spot in Metro this season. BF has not looked good this year with some close losses and a blow out loss to Scona. Too bad Scona plays in the public league-tough to qualify for provincials. Having to knock off Shep or JP just to finish 3rd--ouch. Just my views from below.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daily Double

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:30 pm

"To bad Scona plays in the Public" If I remember right, last year everyone thought that Edmonton Public was going to be dominant and it would be hard for Edmonton Metro teams to advance. I don't think that's what happened? It's a long year, let's see what happens come March.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lycurgus1011

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:23 am

I don't think Scona will have too much trouble with Shep or JP.

I think the question is can they compete with Spruce Grove for second (HA first). If they were in the Metro, they'd be battling STA for second (O'L first). But as mentioned above STA plays 3A so maybe if Scona was in Metro they'd be a pretty sure thing for provincials

From my perspective, heres why Scona can handle RS & JP
Scona played well against O'leary, who spanked RS a week earlier in the StFX Mike Dea tourny. RS also lost a close one to Bev Facey who in turn lost to Scona by 30 points in the Totem. Unfortunately for Sara Nolette at RS, their bench isn't very deep.
Likewise JP hasn't shown well. They did ok at the stFX coming in second but didn't begin to contend for their own REB tourny.

If Edmonton gets a fifth entry to 4A provincials again, at this early point in the season I'd bet on Scona to be there at least as third out of Edmonton public

-Gus
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daily Double

PostSubject: Re: Girls basketball   Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:51 am

Don't get to caught up, to early on the Scona band wagon. If you go back to last years Pre-Season rankings, Scona was #1, but after being ranked so high so early they quickly vanished from the top 10 and never even made it to Edmonton cross-overs. At Provincials it ended up Raymond, Shep and Jordan. There are a lot of good coaches out there who can do some good things over two or three months.

2008-09
Pre-Season
Rankings Team Zone
1 Strathcona Composite Edmonton
2 Cardston South
3 St. Francis Calgary
4 Ross Sheppard Edmonton
5 St. Mary Calgary
6 Jasper Place Edmonton
7 Raymond South
8 Western Canada Calgary
9 Spruce Grove Composite Edmonton