HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Is Immaculata the best team ever in Ottawa

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
baller29

PostSubject: Is Immaculata the best team ever in Ottawa   Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:49 pm

Is this years Immaculata saints one of the best teams ever to play in Ottawa? The team has been blowing out other teams by a average of 30 points each game during regular season and in playoffs by 40 this team looks like its getting stronger and stronger and the starting lineup are mostly grade 10s playing against guys that are 2 years older then them. What is the reason for the success of Immaculata's team this year and are they one of best teams ever to play in Ottawa?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Is Immaculata the best team ever in Ottawa   Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:52 am

Clearly this has to be an Immaculata player, but I will indulge a bit. The answer quite simply is "no". I believe that they have lost to St. Pats this year so a better question might be are they even one of the top three teams in Ottawa this year? Nonetheless, what you have said is true, they are winning by significant margins in AA, but they have a big game tonight against a solid defensive team (they have not allowed more than 25 pts in a playoff game) so it will be interesting. I anticipate that Immaculata will win tonight, but you gotta play the game first!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse

PostSubject: Re: Is Immaculata the best team ever in Ottawa   Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:37 am

baller29 wrote:
Is this years Immaculata saints one of the best teams ever to play in Ottawa? The team has been blowing out other teams by a average of 30 points each game during regular season and in playoffs by 40 this team looks like its getting stronger and stronger and the starting lineup are mostly grade 10s playing against guys that are 2 years older then them. What is the reason for the success of Immaculata's team this year and are they one of best teams ever to play in Ottawa?

Always a great topic for discussion but seriously Immaculata one of the best teams ever? I think you know the answer "no" and not even close! There's a definite argument there not even the best team in Ottawa right now? I've been following them but not sure if they've even won a tournament - I know St. Pat's has beaten them a couple times most recently in Brockville tournament. They definitely have a solid, very young, talented nucleus and have potential to be a very good team but the best ever, only time will tell?

Don't forget there have been countless OFSAA winning caliber teams who competed across the province which you need to do in order to place yourselves among the elite in my opinion. The fact Immaculata is rolling over local competition doesn't say much (no slight intended to local) still not sure if they could beat Glebe, St. Pats, West Carleton and Louis Riel so best ever is out of the equation. I think winning tonight, doing well at AA OFSAA is a start - they will most likely be the top team in Ottawa next year with all the quality returnees. Winning gold at AA could start a conversation but even then unfortunately if it's not AAAA it's tough to say best ever?? They will need to travel outside Ottawa and play/win some of the top tournaments across Ontario (Silver Fox, Eastern Commerce, All-Catholic...) so we can see how they size up to all-time? So you dominate Ottawa scene, need to know you can win against the very best in Ontario!

In saying all this you can always debate best ever HS team out of Ottawa - so many different eras, so many great teams but being around game for awhile (apologize if I miss some and years aren't accurate) I would note:

Lisgar in the 70's won the Golden Ball;
Bell and St. Pius early 80's (biased to my '83 Pius team would put us up against any of them as five guys went on to play CIS/NCAA ball);
Nepean (Dave Smart coach) early 90's
SRB (Ted Edwards coach) and LBP (Mike Bond), St. Matt's (Jim Kent) mid to late 90's
St. Pat's has had some very good teams (Bregman/Rowley), St. Matts (09 - Jason Wren/Will Hinz)
I even loved my SH team from two years ago but it wouldn't be in the best of all time discussion, but it's better than this Immaculata team. Many other coaches will argue for there own and it will always be based on an opinion. All the teams above won, some dominated in Ottawa but also were a top team and got respect from the best in Ontario.

The very best will be debated, I know one thing you'll never get consensus because there's been some phenomenal teams over the years!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Is Immaculata the best team ever in Ottawa   Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:59 pm

don't forget AY Jackson who won AA gold the same year St. Pats won AAA gold at ofsaa. Win first and then try to enter a conversation of best all time!! A different can of worms, but even the Miami Dolphins who went undefeated during the regular season in 1972 do not get recognition as the best team of all time because they did not win the superbowl!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Re: Is Immaculata the best team ever in Ottawa   Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:55 am

The younger crowd are likely in the dark about just how many SIXTH year high school players that were able to play up until the late 90s. Grown men - some already 20 years old before the season was over. Now it's a rarity to have fifth year players, so it's a completely different landscape. Ottawa is the only big city in Ontario that has the majority of its 4th-year star basketball players graduate and move on instead of taking the victory lap. If Immaculata's group of grade 10s continued to play together until their 5th year (2015-16), then I have no doubt they would be considered one of the best ever in the city, but there is no comparison right now.

(Also, Miami did go undefeated and won the Super Bowl in 1972.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hoopstarscanada.com
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Is Immaculata the best team ever in Ottawa   Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:25 pm

my bad!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach maine

PostSubject: Re: Is Immaculata the best team ever in Ottawa   Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:53 pm

l think as long as mr jacques lukusa one of the top player and pg in the country/world if he stays then no doubt they are but l have been hearing he mikght be going to prep school next year or something like that but l saw on the internet that Blair academy has been talking to him, st Benedict and FINDLAY PREP SO WILL SEE WHAT CHOICE THIS YOUNG KID MAKES HOPE YOU THE BEST MAN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Is Immaculata the best team ever in Ottawa   Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:14 pm

Jaques is definitely a solid talent and once his defensive side catches up with his offensive talents he will be a serious threat. What makes Immaculata so strong this year is that they were more than a one man show. Ameer was the best player on the court in the finals and Max gives them so much at the forward position that when he got in foul trouble, Immaculata was not the same. Add in the solid abilities of the other three players that get minutes on that team and they are solid all around. If Max can stay out of foul trouble and the rest of the guys play their top games, they should be able to compete at AA ofsaa in March.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
getknownkidimbleeding

PostSubject: Re: Is Immaculata the best team ever in Ottawa   Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:26 pm

coach maine wrote:
l think as long as mr jacques lukusa one of the top player and pg in the country/world if he stays then no doubt they are but l have been hearing he mikght be going to prep school next year or something like that but l saw on the internet that Blair academy has been talking to him, st Benedict and FINDLAY PREP SO WILL SEE WHAT CHOICE THIS YOUNG KID MAKES HOPE YOU THE BEST MAN

Im crying this is the biggest lie ever told......If you want to hear about talent, please refer to Garneau's Chris Seto......He's an all-star talent, 6'2, great court vision and very good passing. Pretty sure he wasn't playing this year due to transfer issues. Im suprised no one has talked about the slogan " Let Chris PLAY!'', the school made it up and the slogan was cheered throughout home games. Everyone including Chris's father, who was very outspoken about his son's non-eligibility, yelled " Let Chris PLay!" at their home game win against Sir Wil. It was a very emotional game, and at the end of it Chris was quoted as to saying to his dad..."I will plaaay". Chris's father then went into a " Let Chris Play" rant, beginning every sentence with Let Chris.. and ending with a verb; This enticed the crowd into a frenzy in which they repeated everything the father said. " Let Chris PLAAY" they roared, "Let Chris Daance" they cheered, and finally ended with " Let Chris Grooowwww". Very,very emotional scene as you would imagine. Some notables in the crowd included Gnarls Barkley, the imps from Willa Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, That 70's Show star Will Valderama, Eunike and of course none other than Jynsu-Hong the spy from the fourth floor.

Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachT

PostSubject: Re: Is Immaculata the best team ever in Ottawa   Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:09 pm

baller29 wrote:

I think we can put the topic of Immaculata being one of the best Ottawa teams ever to bed. Immaculata lost both theirs games at AA Ofsaa. That being said, they are a young team that can hopefully learn from their first trip to OFSAA and be ready next year, especially with AA Ofsaa being in Ottawa.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse

PostSubject: Re: Is Immaculata the best team ever in Ottawa   Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:03 pm

CoachT wrote:
baller29 wrote:

I think we can put the topic of Immaculata being one of the best Ottawa teams ever to bed. Immaculata lost both theirs games at AA Ofsaa. That being said, they are a young team that can hopefully learn from their first trip to OFSAA and be ready next year, especially with AA Ofsaa being in Ottawa.

I don't think it was fair to even put them in the conversation yet. This is a very young, talented team - when you get to OFSAA you play against talented, EXPERIENCED (older, victory lap...) teams which definitely makes a huge difference. This core should learn a lot and be better for it next year as you mentioned will most likely get two spots at AA and being at home if Immaculata qualifies should benefit. Hold your heads high and come back even hungrier next year!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Is Immaculata the best team ever in Ottawa   Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:44 am

So AA being in Ottawa, will this result in AA size or lower schools that compete in the AAA/AAAA division drop down so that they can attend a home ofsaa? I've notice that there has seem to be a lower amount of AAA/AAAA schools in ottawa. St pius, SRB, St Joes Gloucester usse to be all AAA schools.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Immaculata the best team ever in Ottawa   Today at 1:05 am

Back to top Go down

Is Immaculata the best team ever in Ottawa
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1