HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Gonzaga Bulldogs - #2 Ranked School in Division 1

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Gonzaga Bulldogs - #2 Ranked School in Division 1   Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:55 pm

Highest ever national ranking for the Zags and alot can be be attributed to their fine Canadian duo of South Kamloops' Kelly Olynk and Ontario's Kevin Pangos. Coach Few has recruited several Canadians over the years and it's nice to see that it's finally paying off.

Way to go Kelly! It shows you what hard work can do for a kid who barely played his first 2 seasons then red-shirted last year and considered transfering and now just received Academic All-America and is a projected first round NBA draft pick. Kids live and learn from Kelly, Sacre, Nash, Trasolini, Scrubb and others on what DETERMINATION and DEDICATION it takes to be very successful at the highest level. Hope we see some more hopefuls following in their footsteps!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Gonzaga Bulldogs - #2 Ranked School in Division 1   Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:48 pm

Indiana lost tonight so will Gonzaga get the number one rank in the nation. They could run the table and get a #1 West seed in March Madness. Where can I get tickets. Olnyk and Pangos in primetime with Dicky V calling the Final Four. Canadian players are making history before our eyes with the high number of impact players. Need more BC kids playing NCAA. Have to go the way that Ontario is doing. They're producing elite players by the truck loads. Wait to you see Andrew Wiggins next year. He may have the single greatest impact in amateur ball in Canada since Steve Nash. Got to love it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Gonzaga Bulldogs - #2 Ranked School in Division 1   Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:02 pm

Great article yesterday in the Province by Howard on Kelly Olnyk and Gonzaga's #1 ranking. Kelly is pegged as a mid first round NBA draft pick this year. Will he stay or come out is the question, but what is remarkable and what Howard highlighted is the path he has taken to ultimately become the highest ever BC draft pick. I have so much respect for Kelly and the Olnyk family for not giving up on a dream even when at times it appeared hopeless. Kelly kept working and communicating with the coaching staff and now life can't be any better. Hearing the ESPN analysts speaking about him - well you know you've made it then. Good luck this weekend to Kelly and the Zags in the WCC tournament. Kamloops, BC and Basketball Canada are very proud!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: Gonzaga Bulldogs - #2 Ranked School in Division 1   Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:54 am

I echo your sentiments.
He's a great young man and we should all be very proud of him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Gonzaga Bulldogs - #2 Ranked School in Division 1   Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:43 pm

It was announced today that Olynyk has been selected as one of the 15 finalists for the prestigious John Wooden Player of the Year award. He appears to be one of the front runners. Jalen Rose selected him as his top NCAA player based on Gonzagas ranking and Olynyk's stats and value to team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Gonzaga Bulldogs - #2 Ranked School in Division 1   Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:56 pm

Zags got a scare against #16 Southern University and prevailed 64-58 on a big three by Pangos down the stretch. The turning point was running the high pick-n-roll with Olynyk in the 2nd half. It was one of the closest ever games of a #16 seed vs a #1 seed. Obviously Southern has players, and came to play like warriors. Zags got that first game off their backs and I expect a big second round game on Saturday. Let's go Zags! You have lots of fans in BC!

I bet you Lorenzo Lomar regrets not recruiting Olynyk who was in his backyard. Obviously he didn't think much of him coming out of BC HS. Bet you ke's taking note now and that's why we are seeing him hang out here in Vancouver. Don't ever underestimate heart, never!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Gonzaga Bulldogs - #2 Ranked School in Division 1   Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:50 pm

Very disappointing loss for the Zags, made that #1 ranking look unjustified. They couldn't play a lick of "D" on the perimeter and had some mental lapses down the stretch including Stockton's son walking out of bounds. They need more athletic guards to guard, has been their achilles heel all year. At least Olynyk played like a true All-American and that no call cost them the game when he was mugged. Olynyk was a class act during his post-game interview. Should he enter the draft and make that two consecutive years of BC players entering the NBA? It would be a historic moment! It seems if you can find the right program and excel you open many doors for yourself. Well congratulations to Olynyk, Pangos and the rest of the Zag team for a great, great year of basketball. it's so good what they've done for Canadian basketball and I hope it opens up more doors for our kids!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gonzaga Bulldogs - #2 Ranked School in Division 1   Today at 5:03 pm

Back to top Go down

Gonzaga Bulldogs - #2 Ranked School in Division 1
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1