HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Teams at OFSAA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
halftime

PostSubject: Re: Teams at OFSAA   Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:25 pm

Interesting points made.
I've known many players that have remained for that extra year for academic reasons. Playing ball in a highly competitive school program means that time is taken away from studies to fulfill practices/games/tournaments. The result would be lower than usual grades so the academics being spread out over 5 years gives players the opportunity to participate in sports and also keep grades at level required for acceptance into post secondary. It also gives that extra year to take other courses that students may not be able to squeeze into a 4 year high school program. Always keep open your options as you may end up changing programs into your university life and find you need that extra math, or another science....never close doors if possible.

I've always believed there is no hurry to move on. Not everyone is university ready at 18 and this gives them another option.
And of course, playing sports and winning a city or provincial championship is really something special. Its not to be looked at as a trivial experience. Academics are important but years from now, no one will care too much about their high math marks but they will always remember winning a city championship or ofsaa medal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldtymeballer

PostSubject: Re: Teams at OFSAA   Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:14 pm

baller29 wrote:
Martingroove just won tripple a ofsaa defeated the #1 seed loyola, if srb had a better seed they would of made finals.

Wow, talk about being blinded by loyalty to Ottawa. Seeding would not have gotten Borden into the final. Were you not paying attention when Loyola, who only won silver and not gold, beat Borden by 28? Loyola then beat Orchard park by 8 and lost to Martingrove by 2. Before that, they beat Oakridge by 5 in O/T.

Just because most of the posters on this board are from Ottawa, doesn't mean we are going to let ridiculous boosting go unchallenged.

Please note that this is not an attack on Borden who had a very good season but rather an attack of posters who refuse to look at thing's objectively.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldtymeballer

PostSubject: Re: Teams at OFSAA   Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:16 pm

Students have always been eligible for an extra year of sports, according to OFSAA rules and those of the regional associations. There are some schools that do not permit it but that is there choice. I have never understood why schools make that decision. If they are willing to accept students back for a fifth year, and the funding that goes with it, then they should allow the students access to all aspects of student life. It's that simple.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldtymeballer

PostSubject: Re: Teams at OFSAA   Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:17 pm

NewBoy wrote:
Most schools in Toronto don't allow it.

Incorrect; most do allow it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Teams at OFSAA   Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:57 pm

As the coach for SRB, I can say that we do not look at seeding as the reason we lost in the quarterfinals. We simply played one of our worst games of the season against a very good team and at the worst possible time. Even with how bad we played, the game was eight points in the third before we let it fall apart again. The thing that makes winning ofsaa so special (I assume because I never actually have accomplished this) is that you have to be at your best for five straight games or anyone in the tournament could beat you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Teams at OFSAA   Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:47 pm

halftime wrote:
Interesting points made.
I've known many players that have remained for that extra year for academic reasons. Playing ball in a highly competitive school program means that time is taken away from studies to fulfill practices/games/tournaments. The result would be lower than usual grades so the academics being spread out over 5 years gives players the opportunity to participate in sports and also keep grades at level required for acceptance into post secondary. It also gives that extra year to take other courses that students may not be able to squeeze into a 4 year high school program. Always keep open your options as you may end up changing programs into your university life and find you need that extra math, or another science....never close doors if possible.

I've always believed there is no hurry to move on. Not everyone is university ready at 18 and this gives them another option.
And of course, playing sports and winning a city or provincial championship is really something special. Its not to be looked at as a trivial experience. Academics are important but years from now, no one will care too much about their high math marks but they will always remember winning a city championship or ofsaa medal.

Gennerally no one is ready for UNI at 18 why don't every stay back then? someone start a thread about 5th year because now that season is over alot of grade 12s will be debating about staying a extra year
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Teams at OFSAA   Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:50 pm

halftime wrote:
Interesting points made.

Gennerally no one is ready for UNI at 18 why don't every stay back then? someone start a thread about 5th year because now that season is over alot of grade 12s will be debating about staying a extra year
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Teams at OFSAA   Today at 12:59 am

Back to top Go down

Teams at OFSAA
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2