HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Vancouver College gets it done at CIS Final Eight

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
VCFANS

PostSubject: Vancouver College gets it done at CIS Final Eight   Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:21 pm

There is an interesting sidebar to this weeks CIS Finals in Ottawa this weekend.

Vancouver College, has 5 grads represented at the CIS tournament this weekend. All of them also played in the BC AAA tournament and all received All Stars.

They are Thomas Scrubb, Phil Scrubb and Cole Penman for Carleton, Isaiah Solomon for UBC and Reiner Theil for UVIC. The Scrubb's and Theil are starters, Solomon averages 20 minutes a game and Penman is red shirting. Theil and Phil Scrubb played together for one Varsity season and Theil also played one year with Penman and Solomon.

This is extraordinary. There are only six other high schools from across Canada with more than one player at the CIS final eight this year and none of those has more than 2 players there. VC has 5!

The semi and final will be on The Score this weekend. Go VC!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kit Kat

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver College gets it done at CIS Final Eight   Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:51 pm

[They are Thomas Scrubb, Phil Scrubb and Cole Penman for Carleton, Isaiah Solomon for UBC and Reiner Theil for UVIC. The Scrubb's and Theil are starters, Solomon averages 20 minutes a game and Penman is red shirting. Theil and Phil Scrubb played together for one Varsity season and Theil also played one year with Penman and Solomon.

Scrubbs- Should have gone to Steveston or Richmond High
Penman- Sutherland
Soloman- Hugh Boyd
Theil- West Vancouver

This is extraordinary.

I agree... that is extraordinary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver College gets it done at CIS Final Eight   Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:52 pm

VC is the premier high school in Canada for producing post-secondary & pro athletes(notably Football, Basketball & Rowing).

I'm glad Kit Kat made his wonderful comment. All these kids wouldn't be where they are if it weren't for attending VC. All of them are great talents, but being involved with the VC program/environment helped them get the coaching/mentorship to get to & also excel at the next level.

Kit Kat's wonderful comment also brings to light all the kids who will be playing at the LEC next week, but aren't from their school's respective catchment area. Even the provincial MVP from a few years back wasn't from his PUBLIC school's catchment(he's also going to be at the CIS Nationals in Ottawa). Good on all these kids for pursuing what's in their best interest. Living in Cloverdale, it was tough to see Tweedsmuir lose 2 provincial players to STM and Kits. They would have been a top 5 team this year. But the kids' wishes have to come first. It forces all programs to be better.

Phil Scrubb gets all the attention as the top player in the country, but big brother Thomas has really stepped up his game this year. He led the top ranked Ravens in minutes and rebounds.

Side note, hopefully VC grad Marc Trasolini can lead his Santa Clara team to the NCAA tournament in the next week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VCFANS

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver College gets it done at CIS Final Eight   Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:22 pm

Well said and "Amen".

Their representation at the CIS level speaks not only to the performance of VC athletes, but to BC athletes generally. Some of us take pride in that.

Others look to find fault wherever they think it might exist and without knowing why they ended up at VC. They all arrived at VC under the same rules that apply to students attending all schools, public and private.

There are plenty of examples of transfers at other schools from Vancouver to the Fraser Valley and beyond. They just don't often end up all being from one school in the CIS Final Eight or as all stars at the BC AAA tournament. Both the AAA Tournament and VC can take pride in that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver College gets it done at CIS Final Eight   Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:10 pm

I can say with confidence that going to VC was the best thing that Cole Penman's family could have done for him. I can say he would not be playing basketball or attending University if he stayed at Sutherland.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
outlawpete

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver College gets it done at CIS Final Eight   Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:06 am

Very impressive record for VC players after high school what a massive amount of talent they have had. How many banners did they get with this huge amount of talent? Oops they have ZERO. What's up VC fans why haven't they been able to get it done with these all-star teams, can you hear me?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
And 1

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver College gets it done at CIS Final Eight   Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:53 am

Well said !!!!!

outlawpete wrote:
Very impressive record for VC players after high school what a massive amount of talent they have had. How many banners did they get with this huge amount of talent? Oops they have ZERO. What's up VC fans why haven't they been able to get it done with these all-star teams, can you hear me?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver College gets it done at CIS Final Eight   Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:39 am

Congrats to all the VC alum taking part in the CIS finals, I believe it's a testament to the structure, coaching and education these boys are receiving at VC, which helps them excel at the next level, they may not have brought championships while they were in high school but they left with the blueprint to succeed in the post secondary environment. We should shed positive light on subjects like this and not dwell on negatives.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hard2thehole

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver College gets it done at CIS Final Eight   Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:29 am

JrCoachS wrote:
I can say with confidence that going to VC was the best thing that Cole Penman's family could have done for him. I can say he would not be playing basketball or attending University if he stayed at Sutherland.

Why's that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kit Kat

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver College gets it done at CIS Final Eight   Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:29 am

You need to take VC off the pedestal. All of those players played provincial team AND had led their respective schools to BC tournaments BEFORE coming to VC. They could all play BEFORE coming to the hallowed grounds of VC. And as we all know, if you can play, you will get noticed. Going to VC means nothing. Unfortunately there are "friends of VC" constantly on this board totally over-hyping VC in an attempt to get more players to their school. Last I checked, VC hasn't won a BC title in 50 years???? I certainly enjoyed watching Kelowna make that comeback last year while both VC coaches stood there dumbfounded and do nothing. Fortunately for them, the talent of the players pulled that one out, not the coaching. The last shot in the final was great- they went away from the hot hand (Penman) and went to the cold guy (Soloman) and lost. Funnily enough, without the benefit of transfers this year, they didn't even make the Lower Mainlands. Some program.

Sim wrote:
VC is the premier high school in Canada for producing post-secondary & pro athletes(notably Football, Basketball & Rowing).

I'm glad Kit Kat made his wonderful comment. All these kids wouldn't be where they are if it weren't for attending VC. All of them are great talents, but being involved with the VC program/environment helped them get the coaching/mentorship to get to & also excel at the next level.

Kit Kat's wonderful comment also brings to light all the kids who will be playing at the LEC next week, but aren't from their school's respective catchment area. Even the provincial MVP from a few years back wasn't from his PUBLIC school's catchment(he's also going to be at the CIS Nationals in Ottawa). Good on all these kids for pursuing what's in their best interest. Living in Cloverdale, it was tough to see Tweedsmuir lose 2 provincial players to STM and Kits. They would have been a top 5 team this year. But the kids' wishes have to come first. It forces all programs to be better.

Phil Scrubb gets all the attention as the top player in the country, but big brother Thomas has really stepped up his game this year. He led the top ranked Ravens in minutes and rebounds.

Side note, hopefully VC grad Marc Trasolini can lead his Santa Clara team to the NCAA tournament in the next week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver College gets it done at CIS Final Eight   Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:20 pm

Does your hatred also apply to Kits? Luka, Justin Sze and much of their lineup are from areas outside of Kits' official boundaries. How about Mayorga from Walnut, without whom they would be nowhere near as good as they are?
What would you have liked the VC coaches to do in the Kelowna game? Solomon and Penman had fouled out and their other kids panicked under the pressure. Seems to me they beat the best team in the province at the time.
How do you know they chose Solomon to take the last shot? Maybe that was his choice after looking to Penman. He was also a clutch player all year for them and was far from a bad choice.
Ask any of those VC players you mentioned and they will to a man and to a family praise their experience at VC.
Kids and families are choosing public schools as much as they are choosing privates. Get over it. Good for them for making choices that they feel are in their best interests.
This is high school basketball...let's get over the vitriol.
VC have had and do have excellent coaches. So do some of the publics.
Good for all of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver College gets it done at CIS Final Eight   Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:16 pm

Let's all get this straight, show me a top team going back decades who hasn't had good players transfer to their programs. Let's see WRCA, St. Georges, Richmond Colts, Pitt, VC, Yale etc. Look at almost every top current program and their roster has some elite transfer(s). You mentioned Mayorga - different situation as his family moved to BC from Ontario. Good that his family chose to reside in WG's catchment and too bad he didn't move to your area! What would St. Georges be without Urquahart and Yale without Boire for instance. VC and St. Georges will always have the upper hand on attracting good players; however, this hasn't translated into championships so what's the major concern. If the student-athlete has a great, positive and memorable experience then all the better. VC struggled this year, which means that this team wasn't as competitive and talented as years past. At this time of the year the teams are what they are and we should accept this and have great discussion and not looking to cause friction. I'm hoping that there is a large contingent this year that goes on to play university or college ball. AAA's are around the corner and it has all the appearance of another great event.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hard2thehole

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver College gets it done at CIS Final Eight   Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:27 pm

DickVitale2013 wrote:
VC and St. Georges will always have the upper hand on attracting good players; however, this hasn't translated into championships so what's the major concern.

The backlash comes because of two things:

1. People slobbering all over VC when they haven't been able to get it done in 50 years despite having some of the choicest talent BC has to offer and fielding star laden lineups year after year. Like the guy above said, no big transfers came in recently, no Lower Mainlands berth. Surprise surprise.

2. People saying they "know for a fact" that players wouldn't have developed or had the opportunity to play post secondary ball without having transferred to VC. Just plain disrespectful. Especially the person in question here basically throwing Brad Thornhill under the bus, who is a great coach by the way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver College gets it done at CIS Final Eight   Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:41 pm

[quote="hard2thehole"][quote="DickVitale2013"]

2. People saying they "know for a fact" that players wouldn't have developed or had the opportunity to play post secondary ball without having transferred to VC. Just plain disrespectful. Especially the person in question here basically throwing Brad Thornhill under the bus, who is a great coach by the way.[/quote]

Not about to open up about Penman's life but my comment was about his classroom and off court behaviour.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuyLafleur

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver College gets it done at CIS Final Eight   Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:52 pm

VC is like a cult. I have nothing against supporting your old high school as an alumni, but a lot of the guys I've met who graduated from VC take that support to a whole 'nother level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopster

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver College gets it done at CIS Final Eight   Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:16 pm

[quote="JrCoachS"]
hard2thehole wrote:
DickVitale2013 wrote:

2. People saying they "know for a fact" that players wouldn't have developed or had the opportunity to play post secondary ball without having transferred to VC. Just plain disrespectful. Especially the person in question here basically throwing Brad Thornhill under the bus, who is a great coach by the way.

Not about to open up about Penman's life but my comment was about his classroom and off court behaviour.

One of the benefits of VC, and some other private schools, is that they help young men become well rounded people. There are also a lot of public school coaches that do a great job of this as well. There are a lot of coaches that do not seem to care who they are coaching and do not challenge their players to be someone of strong character. Obviously VC has done one hell of a job with this on and off the basketball court. VC may not have a championship in 50 years, but the success of their alumni makes up for this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver College gets it done at CIS Final Eight   Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:52 pm

hoopster wrote:
VC may not have a championship in 50 years, but the success of their alumni makes up for this.

I like this statement. If a program has a banner in their rafters but not backed up by a successful alumni, then it is not considered as successful. Different analogy is like " surgery is success but patient is dead". Basketball is not all and be all but academics is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox2030

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver College gets it done at CIS Final Eight   Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:14 pm

JLivingston wrote:
hoopster wrote:
VC may not have a championship in 50 years, but the success of their alumni makes up for this.

I like this statement. If a program has a banner in their rafters but not backed up by a successful alumni, then it is not considered as successful. Different analogy is like " surgery is success but patient is dead". Basketball is not all and be all but academics is.

I watched the CIS finals and I think that many athletes and coaches could learn from Thomas Scrubb. In a post game interview Thomas was complemented on being the CIS finals MVP he deflected the interviewers comments. It was very impressed with Thomas and he was rewarded with an MVP for being a team player. Well done VC coaches.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoopfan3

PostSubject: A bit unfair   Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:56 pm

hard2thehole wrote:
DickVitale2013 wrote:
VC and St. Georges will always have the upper hand on attracting good players; however, this hasn't translated into championships so what's the major concern.

The backlash comes because of two things:

1. People slobbering all over VC when they haven't been able to get it done in 50 years despite having some of the choicest talent BC has to offer and fielding star laden lineups year after year. Like the guy above said, no big transfers came in recently, no Lower Mainlands berth. Surprise surprise.

It is a bit unfair to say -" no lower Mainland birth surprise surprise" as if that is a reflection on the quality of the team. A little tough in a two team league and only one birth to the Lower Mainlands. There is little doubt that in a rational system VC would have made the Lower Mainland Tournament. They had victories this year over St Georges, Churchill, Sardis , Oakbay, Enver Creek and Terry Fox - All participants in the provincial tournament. I doubt it is a reflection on the program that they missed the tournament by a point in one of the most exciting basketball series in the province.

No one is disputing that there are other great programs, including a majority in the public system. No one is slobbering either - the Province newspaper thought it was newsworthy as well.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver College gets it done at CIS Final Eight   Today at 7:18 pm

Back to top Go down

Vancouver College gets it done at CIS Final Eight
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1