HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4A Provincials Boys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Handles

PostSubject: 4A Provincials Boys   Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:39 pm

SWC lost to Grandin in semi finals. Because
Adonis over rated. Had cramps in legs in second half. Coach's should give him a rest every qtr. Adonis had half dozen air balls and mor turnovers.
Guinto was shutdown.
Valdez too softy, did nothing. Starting post ?Rawdon was weak against Grandin big boys.
Should be interesting to see how far they go in Provincials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NPH12321

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials Boys   Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:56 am

SWC Calgary will likely end up in top 8. Rumour is Adonis going to East for next two years? Do not see them making final four. Without Hartley I see ghosts ending up the same. BOB may make final four. Winner will be from South.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GT3

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials Boys   Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:07 pm

With Cardston losing to LCI last night in a close one. BOB winning Calgary, and Harry Ainlay Winning Edmonton, whose going to get the #1 seed into provs? Where will Cardston be seeded? Any Predictions on whose going to take the cake? I feel that either Calgary or the South will win this year, Edmonton seems really weak this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials Boys   Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:09 pm

I still like Cardston. They have been the most consistent this year. Sometimes you need a loss to wake you up. I like BOB with their win Saturday night and I still like Churchill as they have shown they can beat anyone as they live and die by the three ball. Edmonton teams are over rated and have been all year. Who does the ranking up there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coogarsrule

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials Boys   Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:36 pm

LCI was full marks for the win last night. Cardston was up early but LCI managed to get up and Cardston trailed anywhere from 2 to 10 points and never did regain the lead. Samson Mandefro was a difference maker but of note for me but they did play well as a team.

I think Cardston will still be the one to watch to capture provincials but you never know this year. Last night LCI was the better team but who knows if they could repeat that performance.

Churchill also played well in beating Med Hat. I saw all three Med Hat games this weekend and they are a world beater when they are shooting well but had difficulty knocking anything down against Churchill in the Prov berth game. Churchill is one scrappy team and will not be a pushover for anyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball123

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials Boys   Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:57 pm

Cardston losing to lci last night was a big upset. Lci played as a team and won the game on the three point line. I still think that Cardston is the better team wining 4 out 5 meetings against lci but lci did play an outstanding game and could be a sleeper going into provincials. Cardston should still be the higher seed over lci, BOB will get the number 1 seed and then probably HA at 2... but i feel the south has the best chance at provincials this year. Also dont forget about winston churchill in the south, they are a team that is physical and likes to pound it at you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
localhoopfan

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials Boys   Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:42 pm

Rankings are up on the Alberta website. Not the draw but I expect it will be the same.

1 LCI vs 16 lloydminster
2 Cardston vs 15 Grand Prairie
3 BOB vs 14 Hunting Hills
4 Grandin vs 13 Foothills Comp
5 Harry Ainlay vs 12 St Mary's
6 St FX vs 11 Winston Churchill
7 SWC vs 10 Jasper Place
8 o Leary vs 9 Notre Dame

A few pretty interesting 1st round matchups but potentially a Cardston/SWC in the quarter finals that would answer a few questions on this site! Looking forward to a great tournament.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials Boys   Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:19 am

I have a question for the rankers. How does LCI get the number 1 spot over HA,BOB, Cardston.
Lets compare these 3 against the top 16

LCI Wins: BOB, Cardston,STFX, WC 2X ( thats all I can recall of) 5 Wins from Top 16 (maybe more)
LCI losses: Cardston 4X, HA 2X 6 Losses Top 16 "

HA Wins: JP , OL, ( thats all I know) 2 Wins ( maybe more)
HA losses: Cardston 3x JP ( all I know of) 4 Losses "

Cardston Wins: LCI 4X, BOB, Foothils 2X, HA 3X, WC 3X Notre Dame 14 Wins from top 16 (maybe more)
Cardston losses: Chinook, LCI 1 Loss from top 16 "

BOB Wins: Grandin 2X, SWC 2X,Notre Dame 2X,ST MARYS ( maybe more ) 7 Wins (maybe more)
BOB Losses: LCI, Cardston SWC, (maybe more) 3 Losses(maybe more)

Whats wrong with this picture. I guess they want LCI to feel good for 4 days till they get beat by HA again.

My top 5
1. Cardston ( record proves itself, beat the # 1 teams both in Calgary and Edmonton)
2. HA ( beat LCI twice #1 in Edmonton)
3. BOB ( beat top teams in Calgary lost to LCI could go 4)
4. LCI ( Beat BOB and Cardston so could go to the 3 spot with win over Cardston but no higher)
5.BG (Beat SWC came close to BOB could go 6 and switch with SWC
6. SWC ( see above )

Once again good luck to all teams at provincials
Back to top Go down
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials Boys   Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:57 am

You have to understand the final ranking process.

You have to be ranked in the order you qualified in your region. This means, LCI has to be ranked above Cardston since they won their zone, and Winston Churchill Lethbridge has to be ranked behind both of them. It doesn't matter that Cardston beat LCI more times. LCI still gets the highest seed out of the South for provincials...whether they are 1, 2, or 8, Cardston has to be ranked lower than them.

Then, the rankers try to avoid having teams from the same zone play in the first two rounds as much as possible. By doing that, some teams may jump around a few spots to make sure the possible second round match ups line up properly.

LCI going in at #1 could have a lot to do with Cardston's success this year since they must be ranked above Cardston. Based on some Cardston results, the rankers may not have been able to justify placing a team like HA above them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials Boys   Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:41 am

So why then is HA #5 when they won there zone and beat LCI 2X already this year?
Also by you saying that the rest of the year means very little. Just win your zone and a couple of key games and your #1 The only team that LCI has beaten is Cardston and BOB. HA never played BOB all year but beat LCI 2X. Cardston beats all zone winners and cause of 1 loss they get pushed back? I am sure you guys have your reasons but that is a slap in the face to HA and Cardston who repeatedly beat LCI all year.
Just my thoughts
Back to top Go down
New_Guy22

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials Boys   Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:58 pm

Slimjim it seems like you answered your own question. Harry Ainlay has only 3 wins vs. ranked teams this year once to LCI December 22nd by 2 points, once to Jasper Place and once to Oleary. They have 2 losses to Ross Sheppard, 2 losses to Jasper Place and 3 losses to Cardston (maybe that is why they are ranked 5th).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
southball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials Boys   Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:15 pm

Obviously the rankers have to weigh a zone championship more than other games throughout the season. LCI beating Cardston in a zone final matters more than Cardston beating LCI in a pre-season tournament. I think it's clear to most people that Cardston has been the more consistent team through the season and has had more success against ranked teams. (LCI also beat SWC by the way slimjim) Cardston still has to be the favorite heading in though. LCI played great in the zone final and deserved to move up. LCI and Cardston should probably be ranked 1 and 2 either way so with the zone win I guess that's what sealed it. Yes HA has beaten LCI twice, but again once was in CHS tourney and once in Sugarbowl, both fairly early in the season and LCI wasn't healthy at that time. You can't really pick and choose wins and losses across a whole season for every scenario. Rankers have to take into account who is the best heading into the tourney. Because LCI beat the number 1 team than in theory they are the best right now and so should be the 1 seed. No one cares about a loss or two in December the provincial tournament is about who is on top when they cross the finish line.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
New_Guy22

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials Boys   Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm

I don't think Harry Ainlay played LCI in the Sugar Bowl. Only in the Cardston tournament. Hence, Harry Ainlay only beat LCI once this year by 2 points.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
southball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials Boys   Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:11 pm

I thought Ainlay beat LCI in the Sugar Bowl to go to the final against CHS. Maybe someone else can confirm one way or the other. Either way I don't think those losses matter. I do think Cardston is still the team to beat but there are some pretty good teams all the way to 10 that have a chance of moving on if someone doesn't show up with their best effort. Cardston found that out in the zone final. LCI played great and Cardston didn't show up the way they needed to. One of the weaker games I've seen them play and LCI took advantage. Rankers can't rank LCI below Cardston after beating them in the zone final.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials Boys   Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:22 pm

Yes Ainlay beat LCI at the sugar bowl. Doesnt matter. Looks like the rankers feel the south zone is the strongest that is the reason for the 1 2 ranking. After LCI beat Cardston in the most important game of the season to date you have to put LCI ahead of them. Cardston should actually be thanking the rankers for that number 2 spot. There is nothing mor dificult than winning that 8:30 game on Friday.

Anyhow enough of that here are my predictions

1 LCI vs 16 lloydminster
2 Cardston vs 15 Grand Prairie
3 BOB vs 14 Hunting Hills
4 Grandin vs 13 Foothills Comp
5 Harry Ainlay vs 12 St Mary's
6 St FX vs 11 Winston Churchill
7 SWC vs 10 Jasper Place
8 o Leary vs 9 Notre Dame

Second Round

LCI VS Notre Dame
Grandin vs Ainlay
BOB vs Churchill Tough one to call. Not sure BOB will be ready for Churchills defence. This could be the game of the weekend.
Cardston vs SWC

Semis

LCI vs Grandin
BOB VS SWC

Finals

LCI VS SWC LCI wins there first provincial title in many years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
northhooplife

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials Boys   Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:41 pm

okay just to clarify as im from edmonton and i follow the top edmonton teams quite attentively (stfx,ainlay,jp,olearly), ainlay has only beat lci once. it was in the cardston tournament. cardston beat out lci in the semis in the sugar bowl to play ainlay in the final.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GT3

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials Boys   Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:25 am

First off, Harry Ainlay did not beat LCI at sugar bowl, Cardston beat LCI in the Semis and HA beat Raymond. Second, The bottom side of the draw seems much tougher than the top side. With Cardston, BOB, St.Fx, and SWC as top contenders, as opposed to the top side with LCI, Bishop Grandin, and Harry Ainlay. I think Cardston has an especially tough road to the championship. With a second round matchup between (probably) SWC that will be a good game and then another tough Semi Final Between (once again, most probable) BOB or St. FX and then a tough final. But if their the best team they'll have to prove it.

My Predictions:

1.LCI over 16. Lloydminster
9.Notre Dame over 8. O'Leary

5.Harry Ainlay over 12.St.Marys - I feel this one could be a close one St. Mary's is underestimated and may pull off the upset.
4.Grandin over 13.Foothills - also could be close Foothills has some big men and a very quick guard.

3.BOB over 14.Hunting Hills
11.Winston Churchill over St. FX - It wont be pretty but i think Churchill has what it takes to knock off St.FX

7.SWC over 10.JP
2.Cardston over 15. Grande Prairie

2nd Round

1.LCI over 9. Notre Dame
4.Grandin over 5.Harry Ainlay

3.BOB over 11. Winston Churchill
2.Cardston over 7.SWC - This will be a good game! could go either way but because of Cardstons consistency ill give them the upper hand.

Semis

4.Grandin over 1.LCI - LCI is good but they have too many 'Stars' on their team and they may get greedy for individual points, But who knows maybe LCI will keep playing like they did against Cardston and spread the points around, if thats so they will win Provs, but i doubt that. Smile

3.BOB over 2. Cardston - Cardston will be beaten up and tired from their tough win over SWC, BOB will take advantage, and get their revenge on Cardston for taking their Provincial Banner last year, it'll be a fun, rough game to watch.

Final

3.BOB over 4. Grandin - An all Calgary Final, and BOB will roll on to win their first Provincial Gold Medals.

Cardston beats LCI one last time to show who really is the best in Southern Alberta, and gets Bronze.

Those are my predictions, a couple bold ones but not knowing whose going to win is what makes March so fun! Good Luck To all the Teams and Coaches and "may the odds ever be in your Favor!"

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kbean

PostSubject: rankings mess   Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:11 pm

The ranking system for both the boys and girls is a shambles in Alberta. There seems to be no rules governing the process and what we are left with is akin to figure skating judging, a group of people sitting around and trying to figure things out by judging the value of wins and losses and then projecting these onto match ups that have never occurred. The winners of the major conferences should always be the top seeds no matter what. You want a top 3 or 4 seed, then you had better win your league because if you can't do that you have no complaint. The second tier should then be the winners of the lesser conferences and then the rest of the field can be filled out from there. Second place in the majors get in, play-in teams get in and then the last 2 or 3 spots can go to the arbitrary process that is used now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopitup

PostSubject: seeding   Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:22 pm

With that logic, schools like Foothills and Hunting Hills would then be ranked ahead of Sir Winston Churchill and Cardston. That makes no sense whatsoever. Rather than complaining, how would you seed the 16 teams?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials Boys   Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:33 pm

OK, let's post some upsets in the first round.

Notre Dame over O'Leary
St. Marys over Harry Ainlay

I think home court will make the difference.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kbean

PostSubject: rankings sytems   Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:44 pm

The point isn't that I should come up with a 1-16, the point is that it is too subjective to do so. I think that there should be an actual process involved as I pointed out in my first post. Give the winners of the major conferences the first 3 seeds. Of course there will have to be a vote on how those 3 rank but if you win a major conference you should get credit for it. Give the winners of the minor conferences the next seeds, followed by the second place teams in the majors, the play in teams etc.. The current system is too open to bias and opinion and the less of that in any ranking type of system the better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
localhoopfan

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials Boys   Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:53 pm

st Mary's with a convincing win over Harry Ainlay 97-79 as the only upset in round 1. They play Grandin who beat Foothills by 12. LCI won by 60 over a school I've never of! And they play Oleary who smoked ND. Cardston pounded Grand Prairie and they play SWC who beat JP by 11. BOB survived a tight one with Hunting Hills by 3 and they play St FX who handled Winston Churchill. Should be a great day of hoops tomorrow in Calgary!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rawhyde

PostSubject: What happened?   Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:31 pm

I'd like to know how the St FX - WC game was so one-sided?
I haven't watched enough teams to know but losing by 25+ seems like more than a bad game to me.

I'm from the south and not a WC fan (trust me).
It was kinda too bad they had to be 4A as I didn't think they stood a chance. Their #11 seed seems about right.

Looks like lots more great bball ahead this weekend!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
localhoopfan

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials Boys   Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:34 pm

3 of the final 4 are set. Cardston and SWC ready to tip off. LCI beat O'Leary handily by 19 or so. Then St. Marys came from way down in the 4th and had the ball down 2 with 7 secs left but a TO and a layup and Grandin escaped with the 4 pt win. St. FX then beat BOB by 15 - the 3rd time St FX has beat BOB this season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball123

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials Boys   Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:48 pm

Congrats on lci, cardston, grandin, and st . Fx. Cardston and lci handled there opponents easily. Cardstons guards (#8 and #6) controlled the tempo and outplayed sir winston guards. two players to watch out for on cardston. Lci's guards are also a big threats you need to stop to beat them. Also StFx handled bob with ease and I was suprised and disappointed with bobs play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials Boys   Today at 5:49 am

Back to top Go down

4A Provincials Boys
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next