HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:41 pm

Howard Tsumura is a blessing for high school basketball.
A wonderful, passionate writer who gives high school sport so much.
Thanks, Howard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:17 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:

DAY 4 - Friday, March 15

"Final 4"
#1 Walnut Grove vs #12 St. Georges 600PM
#2 Kitsilano vs #3 WRCA 800PM

Any predictions for tonite?
I foresee a Walnut Grove/Kitsilano final Saturday.
Saints have a shot at an upset, but Grove just seems so confident and assured in there system, offensively and defensively efficient, Urquhart will have to have a real big presence in this one for the upset.
WRCA has played two straight OT games playing basically only their starting 5 in both, we'll see if they can keep the high pace they need to win this one. Kits has to keep this a half court game (which won't be easy, especailly with Allen running the point) and work through the big man and they should pull through to the final.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicMan

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:37 pm

St.George's in a squeaker tonight. I think they are the most offensively gifted team in the tournament. The game will come down to who between Mayorga and Urquhart will get into foul trouble. If it is Mayorga, the super quick St. George's guards (Deklun and Ethan) will just continue driving the paint all night long. I think 6'6" Tylon Barker adds a lot of poise and confidence to this team as a 2nd big man who can score and rebound. A provinical coming out party for Urquhart tonight?? Or will Jadon clearly establish himself as a premier player in B.C. with a solid effort tonight and lead team to the final. Look for Sam Shin to have a big game, and Getz always shows up to play.

Everyone knows about WRCA resiliency, but is it too much to ask them for a huge effort against the powerhouse BlueDemons tonight after 2 consecutive OT game wins? Kits looks motivated and confident so think they are going to win tonight. Only chance for the Warriors will be if Luka gets into foul trouble. The coaches between these 2 teams have a long and illustrious history in BC high school basketball , and know each others team's tendencies very well. Should be a great game though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:37 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:

Any predictions for tonite?
I foresee a Walnut Grove/Kitsilano final Saturday.
Saints have a shot at an upset, but Grove just seems so confident and assured in there system, offensively and defensively efficient, Urquhart will have to have a real big presence in this one for the upset.
WRCA has played two straight OT games playing basically only their starting 5 in both, we'll see if they can keep the high pace they need to win this one. Kits has to keep this a half court game (which won't be easy, especailly with Allen running the point) and work through the big man and they should pull through to the final.

Grove with 20 point spread.
Kits with 5 -9 pt
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:54 pm

MagicMan, appreciate your insight and passion about the game, but I feel your bias against Drive is influencing your judgement. I cant't say enough about Howard and what he does. He has covered many teams this year and shown no affiliation. He wrote articles on Kits, WRCA, St. Georges, Sardis, Churchill etc. He calls it like he sees it.

Some of the Drive players have had great years, but do not forget they are just as much or maybe more products of their HS teams, which he promotes. I know he did a nice story on Minhas and Cohee and as a basketball enthusiast I love to hear special stories like that. He doesn't see players like Lowen, but credit to Mason for showcasing his talent and I don't believe for one that any recruiter is putting heavy emphasis on media articles, scouting firms or Club teams. They will come, scout and evaluate individual talent. Hopefully players like Lowen have this tourney and in the past displayed enough ability to play at the next level. Unfortunately they have moved to consolation round for Lowen and pulled a squeaker yesterday against Caledonia. Sorry, but when you discuss Drive it makes it look like you have a personal conflict with them. Howard saw Cohee in the flesh last year, knowing he was a last shot away from being MVP and watched him quarterback the #1 ranked team over this year and garner MVP awards along the way.

Why do we have to identify a best (it's ridiculous), why can't their be a group of elite players? You mention Urquhart and Lajeune as next years top players, but there are several others including Etienne, Boire, Sukjot Bains, Cohee and Minhas in that group. These would be this years main Provincial team players. There all good with loads of potential, but have lots of areas to improve on. That never stops no matter what level. Ask Kelly Olynyk. It's very unfair for you to say where these kids will play and where they will end up. In my humble opinion they all have the ability to be university players, but whether CIS, NCAA etc will depend on what their willing to commit to over the next year and a half and what position they can play. They are 16 year old kids who have lots of physical and fundamental growth left in them.

Urquhart has played very well so far, but objectively he has not gone up against another similar physical match up like Luka or Etienne. I would like to evaluate him then. He was guarded by a 6'2" Claremont post in first game and Yale simply don't play defence. Etienne has been equally as explosive this tourney as a big man. No one one came in with more expectations and a target on his back than Cohee and I can imagine the pressure he is under, but he's handling well. I personally sometimes feel he doesn't want the attention that comes his way as he often re-directs to team and teammates. Cohee had been asked to shadow Minhas all game as you said takes 60% of his team's shots, but still put up 21 on limited shots and yesterday's blow-out of South he primarily distributed the ball. I expect him to be more aggressive tonight like he was in Fraser Valleys. Sometimes he does take long 3s, but I'm certain Bergen will take that with all he brings to the table. Grove is so well balanced like WRCA, but ask yourself where would WRCA and Grove be without their great PG play.

Good luck to all the teams tonight. Hoping for some big crowds and a festive environment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoopstar

PostSubject: Best players at Provincials   Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:57 am

I have watched a lot of the games and have seen some great performances from a lot of great players.

The compete level from these kids is amazing! It is obvious how much work they have put in to get to this point.

I have been reading the posts from everyone about who the best players have been so far. One name I haven't seen is Hillis Gold from South Kam. I think he has been the top player in the tournament so far. Pretty much unstoppable in every game. Interesting that no one has mentioned him.

It should also be mentioned that he doesn't have a strong supporting cast like a lot of the players that are mentioned.

If I was recruiting for a CIS school and needed a point guard, my choice based on watching these games would be Hillis Gold Over Cohee, Allen, Chung etc...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
insider

PostSubject: streaming...   Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:54 am

I've been trying to watch online at sports canada and through the LEC website but the stream keeps freezing. Is this happening with a lot of people or do I need to fix something?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BallisGood1

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:00 am

Hoopstar wrote:
I have watched a lot of the games and have seen some great performances from a lot of great players.

The compete level from these kids is amazing! It is obvious how much work they have put in to get to this point.

I have been reading the posts from everyone about who the best players have been so far. One name I haven't seen is Hillis Gold from South Kam. I think he has been the top player in the tournament so far. Pretty much unstoppable in every game. Interesting that no one has mentioned him.

It should also be mentioned that he doesn't have a strong supporting cast like a lot of the players that are mentioned.

If I was recruiting for a CIS school and needed a point guard, my choice based on watching these games would be Hillis Gold Over Cohee, Allen, Chung etc...

Hillis Gold has looked impressive. For me though the standout performer for this years tournament has been Drew Urqhart. He is just dominant on the inside and on the offensive glass. Alot of good performances though, Hayden Lejeune, Tristan Etienne, Mason Loewen, Tylon Barker, Corey Hauck, Mindy Minhas, Jordan Rich, JJ Pankratz. I have been a little bit dissapointed with both Cohee and Bennett-Boire. I really thought that those two were capable of dominating this tournament. It seems to me that the hype around Cohee has gotten a little bit out of control. Seeing him in this tournament it seems to me that he hasn't improved as much as people expected. For the people hoping he can get to and succeed in Div 1 may be expecting a bit too much. To me he's and eventual high end CIS player, and that is in no way a knock on Cohee as he is a great player and I sincerely hope he proves me wrong.

Also will add that Pankratz looks like a real good player, kid has NBA range and good height for a guard. Really think he could succeed at SFU. Lastly, Tylon Barker doesn't get enough credit for what he does at St. Georges. With all the focus on Urqhart and Chung(and rightfully so as they are great players) he tends to fly under the radar a bit, but he is another player who at 6'6 and a nice 3-point stroke would be a nice pickup for a CIS program.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
And 1

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:56 am

Hmmmm...Final Grove vs WRCA ???

hard2thehole wrote:
Fraser Valley teams not looking so infallible now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
realitycheck

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:55 am

hard2thehole wrote:
Fraser Valley teams not looking so infallible now.

...or the fact the valley will take home 6 of the top 8 spots in the tourney lends some truth to the talk all year about the strength of the FV.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:39 am

DAY 4 - Friday, March 15

"Final 4"
#1 Walnut Grove 71 vs #12 St. 60
POG: Jadon Cohee, Walnut Grove - 24 pts, 8 reb, 7 ast, 5 stl
#2 Kitsilano 72 vs #3 WRCA 74
POG: Vartan Tanielian, WRCA - 29 pts, 9 reb, 3 ast

Last edited by JesusShuttlesworth on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TightD

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:51 am

Ihave to agree with hoopstar on Hillis Gold. He has been top notch and pretty much singlehandidly kept SK in the game against Mouat yesterday pouring in 36 points. Fantastic player.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopster

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:45 pm

Hillis Gold from SK is definitely an nice surprise. He has played well. Drew, Hills-gold, and Tyus Allen have been top performers so far. Manhas had a great quarter final game, but I missed part of that game and unfortunately did not see him play before before. Tristan Etienne is finally coming around, very athletic but he seems to disappear from game at times during the regular season. I have to agree with earlier posts, I think Moaut should be in the finals, the referees blew the game vs WRCA, but this is not a first.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicMan

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:02 pm

Hillis Gold looks like he is bored at times. Really needs to work harder on the defensive side of the game.

You can't put him as a top performer as the only team they have played is Kits and they got blown out. Again, I thought his body language on the court lacks intensity and his defense is weak.

Best PG so far has been Tyus Allen. Talent plus heart.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BallisGood1

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:18 pm

MagicMan wrote:
Hillis Gold looks like he is bored at times. Really needs to work harder on the defensive side of the game.

You can't put him as a top performer as the only team they have played is Kits and they got blown out. Again, I thought his body language on the court lacks intensity and his defense is weak.

Best PG so far has been Tyus Allen. Talent plus heart.

Agree on both Allen and Hillis-Gold. Allen walks that fine line between intensity and recklessness though and does take some silly fouls at times, however that's something you have to live with if you want him to play the way he does, which is great. I'll throw a vote Corey Hauck's way for top PG thus far. He's been shooting it really well and has carried Mouat along with Tristan, they were unlucky to lose a squeaker against WRCA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TightD

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:22 pm

Have you seen the talent or i should say lack of Hills Gold has to play with? You put some talent with Hills Gold and its not even close in comparison with Allen. He's got more steals/assists and less turnovers plus a higher scoring average. Give me Hills Gold.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bcbasketballfan

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:41 pm

haven't seen much of this Hillis-Gold player before but from what I have seen throughout is tourney is not special? maybe that is just me though. Allen's game winning layup yesterday was very smart and I think he is a great PG. From what I have seen this tournament the top players have been Drew and Tristan. Tristan has been key on the defensive end altering a lot of shots. Drew has really separated himself from the rest of the pack in my opinion, this tournament especially, he is a very versatile big who can really play many different positions on his team. Cohee hasn't really stepped up this year to what many of us might have thought he would, disappointing. Many good showings this year and I look forward to the 3rd/4th game and of course the Finals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TightD

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:19 pm

Just remember it was Allen who tuned over the ball that allowed Kits to tie the game....

Agree though that Ettiene has been remarkable so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baseline

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Predict a WRCA win tonight. Both teams seem fairly equal in terms of talent but I give the edge in coaching to WRCA and definitely the edge to WRCA in terms of team intensity and toughness. This is a team that refuses to give up no matter what the situation and they have been tested throughout the tourney and come up on top each time. WG is talented but will finish as the runner up for a second year in a row.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicMan

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:36 pm

TightD wrote:
Just remember it was Allen who tuned over the ball that allowed Kits to tie the game....

Agree though that Ettiene has been remarkable so far.

I seem to remember Allen blowing by, with incredible quickness and skill, 3 Kits defenders with 2.4 seconds left in a Provincial semi final game to get to the rim and hit the lay-up. I seem to remember Allen, against Tristan Etienne, (one of the top defenders in the province / country in High scholl ball) on a number of occasions, literally wrestle the ball away from him with strenghth, under the hoop, and with determination lay the ball in for layups at least 2 or 3 times. Northpole Hoops has him as top PG in the province this year and his performance in provincials has continued to show that they are correct. Nobody is quicker.

No disrespect to the PG from South Kamloops, but it is a pure Apples to Oranges comparison as Allen is playing in BIG games where once a team loses and is just finishing off the season, the intensity goes down signficantly. You can see it in the game of Hillis Gold who lacks the desire / intensity to take his game to the next level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
M-5

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:50 pm

Allen has a tendency to turn the ball over and commit silly fouls. He's great to watch but I'm not sure he'd be my choice of PG. Hillis-Gold's body language has been weak for sure and he's spent quite a bit of time walking back on defense, but it must be frustrating playing without much support. Deklan Chung has been really good in the tourney, best I've seen him play - limited TOs, solid shooting percentage. As soon as he fouled out against WG Saints was done. Cohee was sick yesterday - 24 pts with good shooting percentage and clutch buckets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BallisGood1

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:12 pm

M-5 wrote:
Allen has a tendency to turn the ball over and commit silly fouls. He's great to watch but I'm not sure he'd be my choice of PG. Hillis-Gold's body language has been weak for sure and he's spent quite a bit of time walking back on defense, but it must be frustrating playing without much support. Deklan Chung has been really good in the tourney, best I've seen him play - limited TOs, solid shooting percentage. As soon as he fouled out against WG Saints was done. Cohee was sick yesterday - 24 pts with good shooting percentage and clutch buckets.

Definately agree on Chung, by far the best I have seen him play. I've never really been impressed with him before this tourney. Also agree that Tristan has been up there with Urqhart for player of the tourney. Don't understand why he doesnt get the ball EVERY time down the floor, Mouat need to do a better job of getting him involved on offence, when a player like him only takes 10-12 shots with half of them being offensive rebound put backs there is a problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Predictions for tourney MVP   Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:10 pm

If WG wins, I think it should be Myorga as he is clearly the difference maker and the best player on the that team. Don't get me wrong, Cohee is a talented player but w/o Myorga they aren't in the finals. He plays with soo much poise, doing everything from defending the opposing teams best post player, leading the break, rebounding and he can put the ball in the hoop.

If WR wins, I think Tanielian should win it as he is the one consistent player for his team. Allen like Cohee is talented, but is too up and down. Now that is his style but he almost cost them the game last night against Kits.

Either way it should be a great final.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:46 pm

The fact that we're talking about some of these players is a credit to them for being in the discussion. We can't get too defensive about our favourites...criticism comes with the territory, especially nowadays where we micro-analyze everything. Just don't read too much into consolation games(ie.stats, final standings).

Great games last night. Walnut has a 3-headed monster in Cohee, Shin & Mayorga. All are equally valuable to them. Unfortunately Getz hasn't developed into the player people we had envisioned a few years back, but he's a great 4th option. Shin hit clutch baskets and is their top defender. He was last night's MVP. Mayorga is their team MVP. Kid does all the little things. Cohee's got more pressure than anybody else this tourney, and he's handled it well. Someone mistakenly said he had clutch buckets last night. He actually didn't have a field goal in the 2nd half if I'm not mistaken. But, he deserves credit for doing everything else well. Some top players can't contribute unless they're scoring. That's what separates Jadon from so many others. Maybe our expectations were too high of him last year, but he's led his team to the final again. Some on the board are saying CIS. Well, there were multiple NCAA scouts to see him play last night.

Saints looked good. Deklan stepped up big. They missed him in the end. Kids have to be smarter when they have 4 fouls. Drew has potential. If I were a scout, I'd put Drew & Tristan at the top of my list for next year.

Crazy finish in White Rock game. You get the great and not-so good with Tyus. Hard to argue against him as they're in the final. Vartan was huge(inside, outside, & D). Gotta love Luka and his family. It was too bad that someone lost that game. Good luck to both teams tonight. Get there early as you'll have the 2 best fan bases in the building. Walnut will be on the West side. WRCA will be on the East side and on the floor.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:33 pm

Sim, I'm glad there is at least someone giving Cohee some credit. He did score field goals in 2nd have but more importantly took over the game when it mattered most. His stat line of 24 point, 8 rebounds, 7 assists and 5 steals and 12-16 from foul line speaks volumes. He was the POG hands down. The semis and finals for all you staticians are what counts in this tourney. Cohee outplayed Urquhart and anyone else on the floor last night, but it's not about him, its about team and they have a lot of fine players who have the ability to be the best on the court on any given night. When did it become so much about players? More importantly whose going to be the next AAA champion!!!!

Why don't we just sum it up and leave it alone that the kid is simply not that good. We'll disregard he's on a top team with other very good players, but still in the tourney's leaders group in scoring at 20 PPG and assists at 6 ppg and has averaged 7 boards/game. We'll ignore the fact that he's been instrumental in getting his team to the finals 2 years in a row and was the Fraser Valley MVP and has help put Walnut Grove on the map and most importantly credit to one of the top coaches George Bergen. Did you all expect him to put up Lebron Jame type stats this year? If he tried to make himself the focal point of the team they wouldn't be where they are and he's not a selfish player. He gets the top defensive player put on him every game. Guarantee every coach is in the locker room focusing their defensive strategies on him. Are you people real pupils of the game or just cynics/critics. I find it very interesting how everyone fell in love with this fearless 10 grader last year and now he is the most vilified player on this site, yet he's ONE win away from another potential championship. You all find some way to undermine this kid (sorry some of you) no matter how he performs including a brilliant game last night.

Personally may the best team tonight win, but I'm really pulling for WG and hoping that Cohee has an equally explosive game as last night and wins to stop the unfair criticism. I hope he doesn't follow Hooplife, but if he does "Jadon there's many of us that think you are tremendous player and more importantly a "winner". Good luck tonight and compete hard! And for the record I feel the same about Tyus. He's a tremendous player and reason why WRCA is in the finals but not the only reason as he plays on a great team with other great players. Cohee is averaging both more points and assists in the tourney than Tyus. That's where some of you need to more weight, the quality of their teams and there contributions and sometimes it's more than just STATISTICS!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013   Today at 9:06 pm

Back to top Go down

BC "AAA" Championship - Langley Events Centre - March 12-16, 2013
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next