HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:18 pm

My Top 10 AAAA teams for next season 2013-2014 (Key players)

1. WJ Mouat (Tristan Ettiene, Corey Hauck, Manveer Dhillon)
After a top 5 finish at Provincials this team is returning thier two centerpieces in Ettiene and Hauck, dangerouns inside and out, but they have to make sure to get the big man more touches next season.
2. St. Georges (Drew Urquhart, Ethan Scott, Derek Safnuk)
Lost in semi's to eventual Provincial Champs, another year of growth from possibly the most skilled all-around player in Urquhart, with added experience for G Ethan Scott should help this team make another deep run.
3. Walnut Grove (Jadon Cohee, Varun Kumar, Bryce Derton)
You can never count out a team being led by G Jadon Cohee, after leading his team to two straight Championship games, he will need to do some heavy lifting for this squad who is losing many key Sr. players to graduation.
4. Yale (Joaquin Bennet-Boire, Jas Gill, Patrick Vandervelden)
Boire and Gill return to guide the high speed attack of the Lions, returning 3 starters but another scoring option must emerge as losing Pankratz will hurt.
5. Tamanawis (Sukhjot Bains, Sukhman Sandhu, Sukhraj Biring)
Disappointing end to the season, not getting out of the Valleys, but this team is talented and led by Bains, Coach Mckay will surely hope to get the most out of his squad after spending the majority of this season in the Top 5.
6. Gleneagle (Denver Sparks-Guest, Grant Galbraith, Cordell Parker)
Incosistent year from this talented squad, but with great guard play with added growth from big man Galbraith should help Coach Scott lead this team into contention this upcoming season.
7. Terry Fox (Jomari Reyes, Liam Hancock, Mike West)
Coach Hansen did an amazing job with this young squad, playing sometimes 4 10's on the court this season and getting through the tough Valley Palyoffs, Reyes, Hancock, West and Andy Seo rarely looked out of place playing up.
8. Burnaby South (Martin Bogajev, Jermaine Haley, Djordje Obradovic)
With arguably the best shooter in BC in Bogajev, Bby South is never out of any game, also moving up there championship winning Jr suqad led by the ultra talented Jermaine Haley, they can make some noise.
9. Sardis (Hayden Lejeune, Eric Rogers, Cam Servatius)
Hayden Lejeune was a man amongst boys some nights this season, with another year to grow he might be unstoppable for the Falcons, they were underestimated to start the year but not anymore.
10. Churchill (Mindy Minhas, Gary Minhas, Jason Claur)
Minhas is a scoring machine, putting up multiple 40+ scoring outbursts this season, but he must get help, not sure if their talented group of 10's will move up, so I reserve judgement to move them up accordingly.
HM. Pitt Meadows (Graham Smith, Enzo Tadeo)
HM. Kitsilano (Jon Kongbo, James Hynes)
HM. Kelowna (Buzz Truss, Cooper Simson)
HM. Claremont (Alex Jordache, Luke Columbine)
HM. Vancouver College (Elijah Campbell-Axson, Will Latu)

Last edited by JesusShuttlesworth on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BallisGood1

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:11 pm

2014 has got to be one of the more talented classes in a while. So many players with high end potential and Tristan, Drew and Jadon are some of the better players of the past few years. Throw in Mindy, Hayden, Baines and that just makes it a scary good class. Not to mention some supremely talented 11's like Jermaine, Graham and Ethan.

Definately alot to look forward to for BC basketball fans, the future is bright and we are in for some more good years of high school ball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BCHOOPSTER

PostSubject: Provincial Berths   Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Does anyone know how many berths each region will get in the 16 team AAAA Provincial Tournament?

It seems like some of the better AAAA teams from the Fraser Valley and Lower Mainland might not get in if the usual provincial format hold true with regions like Van. Island getting 2 berths, Howe Sound 1 berth, Okanagan 1 berth, North Central 1 berth, North West 1 berth and Kootenay 1 berth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:52 pm

I hear that Bennett Boire will not return.
Anyone else hear that?
I also would rate Burnaby South up near the very top. Taylor Smith is good player who, when combined with Bogajev, will make them formidable from outside.
I think the Lower Mainland will be very good. South, Churchill, VC and St. George's will be tough for anyone.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BCHOOPSTER

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:57 pm

Pooch wrote:
Anyone else hear that?
I also would rate Burnaby South up near the very top. Taylor Smith is good player who, when combined with Bogajev, will make them formidable from outside.
I think the Lower Mainland will be very good. South, Churchill, VC and St. George's will be tough for anyone.

I heard Bennett Boire's going to a prep school back east.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopking1

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:28 pm

BCHOOPSTER wrote:
Pooch wrote:
Anyone else hear that?

I heard that also. It will be a loss for Yale, but after watching the Fraser Valleys and the provincials, I do not even think he is top ten in BC. He wasn't even the best on his team. What I see is that if you can score, some coaches ignore that the rest of your game is not there. I hope he does well, but he has to evolve as a player not just be a scorer. A well rounded player always succeeds at the higher levels.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stocktonsshorts

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:53 pm

Jesus I like your predicted rankings, you obviously pay close attention.

7 of 10 out of the valley, looks like the valley will once again be the hotbed for hoops..no surprise there.

After watching Sardis a couple of times this year I think they could really do some damage next year. Their best 3 are back and they have length 6'4, 6'4, 6'7. I look for them to compete for a valley title.

Most of the top teams have a big who can play: Lejeune, Urqhuardt, Etienne, West, Sandhu etc... and I think next year will be the year of the big especially if 1 or 2 of the top guards leave to go the prep route.

Looking forward to another fun year.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bigwestball

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:15 am

Seem pretty accurate. Walnut grove might struggle inside, but they will have shooters to spread the D for Jadon, Bryce and Varun to drive. Under ranked teams maybe Churchill or VC
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:38 am

Hey Jesus, what does holy cross plan to do? Are they planning to move up 4A? They should IMO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
newmember

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:43 am

BCHOOPSTER wrote:
Pooch wrote:
Anyone else hear that?

I also heard this. Also wasn't Uruqhart trying to leave last year aswell? If so don't you think he might try and leave again? If Uruqhart does leave for the US, do you think that effect the rankings in a big way ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:52 am

I heard that Boire was leaving as well. Yes Urquhart was suppost to attend East Lake HS in Seattle; however, it did not transpire. Who knows what his plans are. If any elite players head South their current teams rankings will be impacted including Yales. Gleneagle can be very dangerous next year and I expect that they will be more consistent. Gailbraith will be a tough match-up for anyone. Besides Etienne and Hauck does Mouat really have any depth or impact players? Same with St. Georges? St. Georges had no bench this year so how will that impact the quality of their starting line up and bench. Having some depth is important to winning 4 tough games in 4 nights. Although WRCA and St. Georges finished 2nd and 3rd respectively they got no production from their benches in the key games with Walnut where on the other hand Grove's bench had significant impact in the games including Hoffman and Walde-Marian. In the close games this made a big difference. I think teams that are deeper next year have the advantage over teams with just 1 or more stars. Grove has several veteran defensive minded guards who played significant minutes coming back who can also shoot the long ball. They have a couple of bigs coming up including a provincial player. They will be very strong. Fraser Valley will pretty much have al the dominant teams including Sardis who will be very, very good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:44 pm

newmember wrote:
I also heard this. Also wasn't Uruqhart trying to leave last year aswell? If so don't you think he might try and leave again? If Uruqhart does leave for the US, do you think that effect the rankings in a big way ?
If Boire or Urquhart leave, that will surely affect rankings, as they are the main weapons for Yale and Saints repectively, I would drop them out of the Top 10 to HM if either were to leave.

Bigwestball wrote:
Seem pretty accurate. Walnut grove might struggle inside, but they will have shooters to spread the D for Jadon, Bryce and Varun to drive. Under ranked teams maybe Churchill or VC
I would rank Churchill higher, depending on the status of both Izaiah Ugualah and Karn Virk, who are really good underclassmen. VC is a fringe team, not sure what to make of them, struggled this season and not much size to match up with the prominent big men in the Province next season.

Anyway, can't wait to see Howard's Pre-Season Rankings coming out in Thursday's Province, it will be interesting to see as he was on the money for this season as he did predict Walnut Grove and WRCA, #1 and #2. (BTW I looked back and I got the Top 4 finishers in Provincials in my predictions last year, I had Grove, Saints, WRCA, and Kits)

Last edited by JesusShuttlesworth on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:15 pm

Howard's 2012-13 preseason rankings were pretty good, got the #1 and #2 right on.
But Kelowna at #3 was a stretch and Buzz Truss freak injury at the Emerald all but ended thier season.

Biggest Dissappointments: Kelowna, Carson Graham
Biggest Surprise: Sardis

13 of 20 teams in the rankings were in this years Provincials.
Teams in Rankings not in Provincials:
Kelowna, Carson Graham, Oak Bay, North Delta, Lord Tweedsmuir, Vancouver College, Gleneagle
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Howard's 2012-13 Pre-Season Rankings ACTUAL FINISH

1. Walnut Grove Gators (Langley) 1
2. White Rock Christian Academy Warriors (Surrey) 2
3. Kelowna Owls
4. W.J. Mouat Hawks 5
5. Sir Winston Churchill Bulldogs (Vancouver)
6. Yale Lions (Abbotsford) 7
7. Carson Graham Eagles (North Vancouver)
8. Kitsilano Blue Demons (Vancouver) 4
9. Oak Bay Bays (Victoria)
10. St. George's Saints (Vancouver) 3
11. Pitt Meadows Marauders 15
12. Burnaby South Rebels 9
13. North Delta Huskies
14. Belmont Braves (Victoria) 13
15. Lord Tweedsmuir Panthers (Surrey)

Honourable mention
Gleneagle Talons (Coquitlam)
Enver Creek Cougars (Surrey) 6
Vancouver College Fighting Irish
Claremont Spartans (Victoria) 10
Terry Fox Ravens (Port Coquitlam) 12
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baseline

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:35 pm

Howard's predictions are in! They are:

THE PROVINCE’S PRE-PRESEASON RANKINGS
Senior boys basketball
Quad A
1. Tamanawis Wildcats (Surrey)
2. W.J. Mouat Hawks (Abbotsford)
3. Yale Lions (Abbotsford)
4. Walnut Grove Gators (Langley)
5. Sardis Falcons (Chilliwack)
6. Terry Fox Ravens (Port Coquitlam)
7. Burnaby South Rebels
8. Gleneagle Talons (Coquitlam)
9. Delta Pacers
10. Sir Winston Churchill Bulldogs (Vancouver)
11. St. George’s Saints (Vancouver)
12. Vancouver College Fighting Irish
13. Claremont Spartans (Victoria)
14. Pitt Meadows Marauders
15. Kitsilano Blue Demons (Vancouver)
(as selected by Howard Tsumura and a panel of B.C. Triple A boys coaches)

Top 6 from the valley. Not sure I would have Tammy ahead of Mouat and Yale or even Sardis for that matter. Any thoughts on Howie's picks?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:16 am

Howard has a good record, but I would question the low ratings for Lower Mainland teams.
I think both Burnaby South and St. George's will rise well above his predictions. Churchill, too, have a chance.
South will be the premier team in BC as far as guard strength and Saints still have Drew. Who besides Etienne can match up with him?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:07 am

Howard's predictions were done in unison with other coaches during the Provincials. I seriously question St. Georges depth as they played only 6 and the majority of their key players will graduate. Who will play PG as Ethan Scott is a shooting guard. Same for Mouat? Who do they have beyond Etienne and Hauck? Don't forget bigs LaJeune, Belleville and Gailbraith. I wouldn't consider Burnaby the best backcourt. Some of their returning guards really struggled at AAAs. Some other teams like Gleneagle, Fox, Yale and Walnut have a lot of returning guards who played significant minutes in regular season and/or playoffs. This is just a prediction there are so many other factors that apply like coaching, experience, strength of schedule. Right now it's all on paper, but once the first month rolls around we'll get to see a little of the landscape. We could see a good 5 to 6 teams as this past season in contention for the championship and like the same as this year Ill put my money on the team with depth and experience under the bright lights.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:19 am

DickVitale2013 wrote:
Howard's predictions were done in unison with other coaches during the Provincials. I seriously question St. Georges depth as they played only 6 and the majority of their key players will graduate. Who will play PG as Ethan Scott is a shooting guard. Same for Mouat? Who do they have beyond Etienne and Hauck? Don't forget bigs LaJeune, Belleville and Gailbraith. I wouldn't consider Burnaby the best backcourt. Some of their returning guards really struggled at AAAs. Some other teams like Gleneagle, Fox, Yale and Walnut have a lot of returning guards who played significant minutes in regular season and/or playoffs. This is just a prediction there are so many other factors that apply like coaching, experience, strength of schedule. Right now it's all on paper, but once the first month rolls around we'll get to see a little of the landscape. We could see a good 5 to 6 teams as this past season in contention for the championship and like the same as this year Ill put my money on the team with depth and experience under the bright lights.

You dont have to wait until the first month of the season. You will get a reasonable idea on the strengths of the teams when the spring league starts next month. More clarity will be in september when main teams play a tournament run by referees association.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:22 am

I think tammy is going to be the favorite going into next season they got 7-8 players playing club ball for either athelite or all ball and with that they get good training and face better competition over the summer then any other team in all of BC and some of them play fall basketball for athelite as well. Even coming into last year no one was talking about them, i personally didnt think they would be any good but they went from NR to top 5 over the summer. on top sukhjot is probably one of the top 5 players in BC next year.
Back to top Go down
basketballbc245

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:27 am

blogs.theprovince.com/2013/03/20/surreys-tamanawis-perched-at-no-1-in-the-provinces-pre-preseason-super-15-rankings/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicMan

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:47 am

bball81 wrote:
I think tammy is going to be the favorite going into next season they got 7-8 players playing club ball for either athelite or all ball and with that they get good training and face better competition over the summer then any other team in all of BC and some of them play fall basketball for athelite as well. Even coming into last year no one was talking about them, i personally didnt think they would be any good but they went from NR to top 5 over the summer. on top sukhjot is probably one of the top 5 players in BC next year.

The big issue that Tammy needs to address is team discipline / leadership. The real story of their huge collapse this year - in a game against a heated rivalry, a few of the Tammy guys verbally threatened / intimated (we will meet you in the parking lot and k..... you, that is what we do here.................). In today's world, issuing threats is something to be taken seriously. The principal and adminsistration were brought in and the riot act was read. The actions of one or two players and their childish behaviour and the words that come out of their mouth during a game cost this team as clearly they were divided as a group after Administration got involved.

too bad, but can this team mature and get the leadership required to pull in the right direction to make a run next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:19 pm

JLivingston wrote:
Hey Jesus, what does holy cross plan to do? Are they planning to move up 4A? They should IMO.

Looks like the very competitive Fraser Valley just added another squad to the mix. Should be another tough grueling grind through the Valley next year.

Holy Cross Sr. Boys Head Coach ‏@mattbl08 just posted via Twitter:
"Holy Cross Boys Basketball making the jump to AAAA tier. Gonna make waves. #hcboysbballsteppinup"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:28 am

Jermaine Haley (heard this from different people) is supposed to go to Findlay Prep (Henderson, NV). Not sure if he's actually going to go or wait a year then go. If that does happen, big hit for Burnaby South but I don't see why they don't win BurWest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bchoopscoop.ca
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:29 pm

Jesus and others who are following club season,

If you were to redo the province pre-season ranking considering Holy cross switch to quad A, continued stronger improvement of Tristen, Jadon cohee, Drew, departure of Quin from Yale squad and other developments, how would it look like? Have anyone been to spring league of valley HS ball and any recap on the performance of valley teams?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:23 pm

My Re-vised Top 10 AAAA teams for next season 2013-2014
(Please note this list is purely speculative and is Valley heavy as I watch more Valley teams than others, I have no Island or Okanagan teams listed because I am not familiar enough with those teams to generate an educated opinion)
**Notable changes/notes from last ranking
- Yale losing Jauquin Bennet-Boire to Prep School in Kansas (from #4 to NR)
- *St. Georges 'likely' losing Drew Urquhart to Eastside Catholic High School in Seattle,WA (from #2 to #10)
- Churchill's top grade 10's playing up on the Sr. squad (from #10 to #7)
- Holy Cross' decision to play up in the Quad A Tier (from NR to #4)
- Haven't caught much HS spring league aside from Grove, Tammy and HC who have all looked impressive.
*not confirmed

1. WJ Mouat
Key Players- Tristan Etienne, Corey Hauck, Manveer Dhillon

2. Walnut Grove
..- Jadon Cohee, Bryce Derton, Varun Kumar

3. Tamanawis
..- Sukhjot Bains, Sukhraj Biring, Sukhman Sandhu

4. Holy Cross
..- Taylor Browne, Henry Maduabueke, Stanley Maduabueke

5. Gleneagle
..- Cordell Parker, Brenden Bailey, Denver Sparks-Guest

6. Terry Fox
..- Jomari Reyes, Mike West, Liam Hancock

7. Churchill
..- Mindy Minhas, Izaiah Uguolah, Karn Virk

8. Burnaby South
..- Jermaine Haley, Martin BOgajev, Nic Trnic

9. Sardis
..- Hayden Lejeune, Eric Rogers, Cam Servatius

10. St. Georges
..- Ethan Scott, Derek Safnuk, James Choi
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:20 am

Terry Fox Spring League

Walnut Grove beat Pitt Meadows in Finals. Terry Fox split squad beat Heritage Wood in 3rd place game. MEI looks to be very competitive next year as does Fox. Etienne did not participate with Mouat so their results were not very good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Today at 9:03 am

Back to top Go down

AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next