HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
zoons

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:19 pm

There are 67 AAAA teams in the province. over 30 of them are from the Valley. If it is based on rep by pop at a 16 team prov tourney then the valley should get 7-8 berths.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoopstar

PostSubject: AAAA Predictions   Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Lot's of great teams...here goes

1 - Walnut Grove
2 - Gleneagle
3 - Mouat
4 - Tamanawanis
5 - Churchill
6 - Burnaby South
7 - Holy Cross
8 - Pitt Meadows
9 - Terry Fox
10 - Sardis
11 - Yale
12 - Mt Boucherie
13 - St Georges
14 - MEI
15 - Claremont
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Updated Zone Breakdown   Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:44 pm

This is from the updated BC Boys Basketball website regarding the AAAA division.

ZONE BREAKDWON

Fraser Valley (31 Teams)

Fraser Valley Central
Enver Creek
Fraser Heights
Holy Cross
Johnston Heights
Kwantlen Park
L.A. Matheson
North Surrey
Queen Elizabeth

Fraser Valley East
Chilliwack
Lord Tweedsmuir
M.E.I.
Sardis
W.J. Mouat
Walnut Grove
Yale

Fraser Valley North
Centennial
Gleneagle
Heritage Woods
Pinetree
Pitt Meadows
Port Moody
Riverside
Terry Fox

Fraser Valley South
Delta
Earl Marriot
Elgin Park
Panorama Ridge
Seaquam
Semiahmoo
South Delta
Tamanawis

Howe sound (4 Teams)

Argyle
Handsworth
Sentinel
West Vancouver

Kootenay (1 Team)

Mount Baker

Lower Mainland (16 Teams)

Burnaby/New Westminster
Burnaby Mountain
Burnaby North
Burnaby South
Moscrop
New Westminster

Independent
St. Georges
Vancouver College

Vancouver East
Charles Tupper (AAA)
Davis Thompson
Gladstone (AAA)
John Oliver (AAA)
Killarney
Templeton (AAA)
Vancouver Technical
Windermere

Vancouver West
Eric Hamber
Kitsilano
Lord Byng (AAA)
Magee (AAA)
Point Grey (AAA)
Prince of Wales
Winston Churchill

Richmond
Richmond

Okanagan (5 Teams)

Kelowna
Mount Boucherie
Penticton
Rutland
Salmon Arm

North Central (2 Teams)
Correlieu
Prince George

Vancouver Island (9 Teams)

Vancouver Island North
Alberni
Cowichan
Dover Bay
G.P. Vanier

Vancouver Island South
Belmont
Claremont
Mount Douglas
Oak Bay
Spectrum

'Projected' Berth Allocation
AAAA Provincials - 16 Total Berths
Fraser Valley - 7 Berths
Howe Sound - 1 Berth
Lower Mainland - 4 Berths
Okanagan - 1 Berth
North Central - 1 Berth
Vancouver Island - 2 Berths

Last edited by JesusShuttlesworth on Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: BC Madness   Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:52 pm

65 teams. Nice. Maybe there should just be a 64 team tournament.... NCAA style. Two weekends of Madness....
Of course we could still have the Independents play for the 64th seed.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:30 am

I still don't understand why a 4A tier was created.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lukester0506

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:32 am

Sim wrote:
I still don't understand why a 4A tier was created.
I believe one of the reasons was so more teams are able to get a play off experience as well as a better chance to provincials. But im not sure. Most likely there are many other reasonings behind it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lukester0506.com
ebe

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:53 am

Mark Scott wrote:

65 teams. Nice. Maybe there should just be a 64 team tournament.... NCAA style. Two weekends of Madness....
Of course we could still have the Independents play for the 64th seed.....
Do I detect a little sarcasm in that comment Mark?
Presently we have 68 teams at the AAAA level, 66 at the AAA level, 65 at the AA level, & 66 at the A level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:31 pm

Sorry, 'Ebe' is correct should be 68 total teams at the AAAA level, looks like the BC High School website has not been fully updated yet, I missed Richmond, Correlieu and Prince George from the Breakdown, I've updated above.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tejan.bagri

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:04 pm

Out of all the independent teams how many berths to they receive? Holy cross, Mei, VC, and ST.Georges.. going to be fun to see who gets into provincials
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:43 pm

Holy Cross and MEI compete along with the public schools for the Fraser Valley Zone berths to the BC's.  They get no special berths but do have the same opportunity as the publics.  They play in the same leagues and their records, not politics, determine whether they make it or not.
This has not been the case in the Lower Mainland Zone.  
Vancouver College and St. George's will, in all likelihood, have to compete for one Lower Mainland berth as usual. It will not be possible for both to make the Lower Mainland or B.C. tournament.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fraservalley

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:07 pm

As someone who has been involved coaching high school for a long time, it will be interesting to see with the 16 team tournament if they go back to half berths for Provincials. It would make sense, since the only reason some of the zones got full berths was the 20 team format. The Fraser valley has a different constitution then the Lower Mainland. Though, I remember about 8 years ago now when the Valley coaches voted to kick out WRCA and MEI, but they were let back in because they didn't have the power to do it. I would like to see the Island get 1.5, Fraser Valley 8, Kootneys .5, North Central .5, Mainland 4.5, North Shore .5, Ok .5 and St g and VC get a shot, but I don't ever see that happening. (Or Valley 8.5 Mainland 4)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:52 pm

My Top 5 most intriguing storylines going into the 4A season

1. Does Pre-Season #1 = Results
Tamanawis was picked as the pre-season #1 after the completion of last season, will this team be able to take the next step this year and win the 4A title.

2. Stacked Deck in the Fraser Valley East
Who will emerge out of the toughest zone in the Province. Where top tier teams WJ Mouat and Walnut Grove, heavy contenders in Sardis and Yale, and wildcards in MEI, Lord Tweedsmuir and Chilliwack will battle it out in league play.

3. Lower Mainland Contenders
What team will come out of the Lower Mainland to challenge the Valley heavy pre-season Top 10. Winston Churchill, Kitsilano, Burnaby South all look like contenders to compete and beat any team in the Province, but how will the 2015/2016 players adjust to playing Sr. boys basketball.

4. New Kid on the Block
Will Holy Cross be able to make the jump from 2A to 4A and compete with the top teams in the Province, arguably the most athletic team in BC, will their combination of speed, size and strength translate on the court.

5. Battle of Independents
Another season and another year to enjoy one of the very best rivalries in high school sports. Vancouver College and St. Georges will again likely compete in thier annunal series of highly competitive games for one spot into the Lower Mainland Playoffs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:25 pm

I think Tamanawis will struggle as the pressure rises come playoff time.  The experience gained from being there the year before always pays off hugely and they missed out.
Holy Cross has premium talent, probably B.C.'s best, but may face the same problem.
Van College and Saints should be a great match up this year.  Had Urquhart stayed I would have given the edge to Saints but now it's a tossup and should be great entertainment.  Sad that only one can make it but that's a whole other topic.  I think that both are a notch below South, Churchill and Kits but have managed to finish the season playing better than any of those the past few seasons.
The Fraser Valley schools will find the tough league competition really pays off as the season winds down and I can see their best being dominant at the BC's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PressThis

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:59 pm

I think there is a lot of parity this year with many teams capable of winning it all. I'm interested in thoughts on who the dark horse under dogs may be for this year who may surprise teams in top 10. I thinking Heritage Woods, Pitt and VC could challenge

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JK

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:44 am

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
My Top 5 most intriguing storylines going into the 4A season

1. Does Pre-Season #1 = Results
Tamanawis was picked as the pre-season #1 after the completion of last season, will this team be able to take the next step this year and win the 4A title.

2. Stacked Deck in the Fraser Valley East
Who will emerge out of the toughest zone in the Province. Where top tier teams WJ Mouat and Walnut Grove, heavy contenders in Sardis and Yale, and wildcards in MEI, Lord Tweedsmuir and Chilliwack will battle it out in league play.

3. Lower Mainland Contenders
What team will come out of the Lower Mainland to challenge the Valley heavy pre-season Top 10. Winston Churchill, Kitsilano, Burnaby South all look like contenders to compete and beat any team in the Province, but how will the 2015/2016 players adjust to playing Sr. boys basketball.

4. New Kid on the Block
Will Holy Cross be able to make the jump from 2A to 4A and compete with the top teams in the Province, arguably the most athletic team in BC, will their combination of speed, size and strength translate on the court.

5. Battle of Independents
Another season and another year to enjoy one of the very best rivalries in high school sports. Vancouver College and St. Georges will again likely compete in thier annunal series of highly competitive games for one spot into the Lower Mainland Playoffs.
santa 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fraservalley

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:00 pm

I think experience is hugely overrated at the high school level. I have seen many teams come from nowhere over the years and win Fraser Valley and Provincial banners, without being in the tournament the year before. ex Ladysmith, Dover, WRCA (first time)...there are many examples. What I think is more interesting is the new format. Noone has experience with two 16 team tournaments running at the same time and in the same facility, if infact the AAA and AAAA run together. Also, the only thing that really matters for the Valley comes in February with the tournament draw. Over the years, many teams have been left out of the Prov's simply because of it. I just looked back right now and even last year Tamanawis as a top seed had to play Mouat and Pitt, who were both ranked in the top 10 all year, where as a teams like Sardis played Tweedsmuir and Fox got Abby (no disrespect) to go to the Provincials. The valley will be my most interesting story for the year. I also think Burnaby South will be an interesting team to watch, with how the grade 11's gel with the grade 12's. I know there were issues between the two grades last year. They are very guard heavy and is there enough shots a game to keep them all happy? When it's all said and done, it's high school basketball. On any night any of the top 15-20 teams can beat each other.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BBCfan1

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:06 pm

Pre Season Rankings

1) Walnut Grove - Led by returning AAA MVP feels like going into this season Cohee is being undervalued, with it being Bergens last year look for him to really push his boys this season. Bryce Derton will help fill the void left by the seniors

2) Burnaby South- Jermaine Haley Gr 9 and Junior Provincial MVP and arguably the best Division 1 prospect BC has seen since Kelly O. Also with sharpshooter Martin Bogajev and Taylor Smith it is the deepest backcourt in BC this team can go 9 guys deep

3) Churchill- Mindy Minhas the future thunderbird is without a doubt the best scorer in the province. Look for him to take it upon himself to win games on his own. Team lacks depth but if the grade 10 kids can step up look for them to make a run

4) Gleneagle - The best starting 5 BC will see this year with Cordell Parker, Grant Galibrath, TK Scott, Brenden Bailey and Denver Sparks- Guest. This team has the chance to make major noise this season but if anyone has watched them in the past it all depends on if their coach will let the kids play or try to slow them down there lack of depth (only 8 players on the team) and coaching could be their downfall

5) Holy Cross - Led by Taylor Browne this team is moving up to the big boys. With the most athletic frontcourt in the province with Stan, Henry and new transfer Jonathan Kongbo look for this team to be playing in the Fraser Valley championship game.

6) WJ Mouat- UW commit Tristian Ettiene is the best defender in the province and has the ability to be a goalie at the rim causing havoc for teams some nights. With his health issues behind him look for him to have a big season as he looks to try and finish off his high school career with running mate Cory Hauck who can light it up from the outside.

7) Tamanawis- Sukhjot Bains will be leading this squad with big man Sukhman Sandhu they have the ability to shoot up the rankings but will depend on their guard play. At times Bains has struggled with teams focusing all their attention on him. Last years non provincial appearance definetly hurt this squad and hopefully their locker room problems are behind them.

Cool Terry Fox- Coach Hanson always has his boys going hard, led by Jomari Reyes and Mike West this young team will be athletic and will get after it. With the Valley so deep they could be on the outside looking in come March.

9) Sardis- Coach Graves does a great job establishing big man Hayden Lejune whos recovered from off season injury. Him and Eric rogers led a squad that has the ability to play with the best of them. Point guard play will be the question mark as they need to find ways of feeding the big fella.

10) St Georges- Led by newcomer Mark Jacobs the big man from Europe looks to take the team over for the departed Drew U. With Ethan Scott and Keith Chow manning the guard spots look for this Saints squad to come out of the with cross town rival VC.

**( Questions have been raised on just how Drew Urq has been ruled eligible to play in the US, I think this needs to be looked at. He is not attending a prep school of sort but has transferred to an Washington state highschool without his family having moved. I hope this does not set a precedent as we don't want to lose our top players to the state of Washington.)

11-15

11- Yale
12- Claremont
13- Pitt Meadows
14- MEI
15- VC
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:14 pm

Maybe the boys' association needs to make contact with the WIAA to see under what rule Urquhart became eligible.  From a quick reading of their rules it appears they are quite strict on this kind of thing and there appears to be no way to be eligible without the family moving.  I agree with you that this could become a worry if there is now a way for them to go and play right away.  Let's at least make sure the coaches and kids from here know what the rules are down there.
Maybe Ebe can tell us if the association would ask for information as this certainly has the potential to have a major impact on high school basketball here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:28 pm

BBCfan1 wrote:

10) St Georges- Led by newcomer Mark Jacobs the big man from Europe looks to take the team over for the departed Drew U. With Ethan Scott and Keith Chow manning the guard spots look for this Saints squad to come out of the with cross town rival VC.
Great insight on all the top teams, St. Georges is intriguing, watch out for a breakout year from Ethan Scott, as he takes over the figurative reins of the team, he showed flashes in last years Provs. but he's ready to explode on the scene this year. Mark Jacobs is a fresh face in BC Hoops, I heard he is a big man (6'7" ?) with skill and athleticism, a little thin for his height but good basketball IQ. Any other thoughts/impressions on the new Euro import trying to fill in Drew's big shoes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:31 pm

I am certainly no expert on Washington State eligibility rules but it is my understanding that he is eligible as he is classified as an international student and international students are allowed one year of eligibility in their system. If he had gone last year he would have used up his one year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: FVBOA Officials Camp 2013   Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:18 pm

FVBOA Officials Camp 2013

Saturday October 26
Pitt Meadows over MEI +5
Close game, MEI guards were quick and getting to the basket and hitting 3's, but Pitt size helped them control the boards for W.
Gleneagle over WJ Mouat +25
Mouat played without Tristan, Gleneagle led from start to finish, aggressive on the off. glass, guards knocked down 3s, bigs dominated the post, good looking team, short bench and not real deep but core is as talented as any in the province.
Heritage Woods +15 over Pitt Meadows @ Half
Heritage Woods vs MEI ??
Gleneagle over Walnut Grove +5
Walnut Grove over WJ Mouat +5

Sunday October 27
Pitt Meadows vs WJ Mouat ??
Walnut Grove over Oak Bay +15
Walnut Grove over Pitt Meadows +15
Oak Bay vs WJ Mouat ??
Oak Bay vs Heritage Woods ??

If anyone else caught any games would love to hear their thoughts or updates on the games this weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:24 pm

The annual BCHSBBA AGM was held this weekend and from what I'm hearing the Provincial Berth Allocations have been decided. Projected Breakdown below, and if anyone else knows otherwise please update us.

Fraser Valley - 6 Berths
Lower Mainland - 3 Berths
Howe Sound - 1 Berth
Okanagan - 1 Berth
North Central - 1 Berth
Kootenays - 1 Berth
North West - 1 Berth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PressThis

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:41 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
The annual BCHSBBA AGM was held this weekend and from what I'm hearing the Provincial Berth Allocations have been decided. Projected Breakdown below, and if anyone else knows otherwise please update us.

Fraser Valley - 6 Berths
Lower Mainland - 3 Berths
Howe Sound - 1 Berth
Okanagan - 1 Berth
North Central - 1 Berth
Kootenays - 1 Berth
North West - 1 Berth

Boy, there is going to be some very good teams from Valley that won't make it into BC's given only 6 spots.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zoons

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:07 pm

Makes the provincial tournament look like a joke. It never has been about the best teams but equal representation from around the province even if they didn't have to beat anyone to go. Rewarding participation over competition with automatic berths. Sign of the times!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachinainteasy

PostSubject: Post Season NIT   Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:55 pm

How many coaches just threw their hands up in the air and said... "We'll never make it again. Never. It's over. I quit!!" or... "I better not tell my players only 6 (or 3 in the LM) go.... they'll be crushed!" Hoping to grab the last berth... the 8th or 5th. Now only the powerhouse teams go from the Valley and LM.

Let's start a NIT-like tournament. All the "almost made it" teams. Maybe it could the Agridome could host.

Wow. Gonna hurt high school basketball! The beginning of the end.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Today at 9:01 pm

Back to top Go down

AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next