HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
fraservalley

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:51 pm

Not the first or last time this has happened. I feel bad for the teams in the mainland and Valley as single A Queen Charlotte will now be taking a berth as well as originally no one in the North was taking a berth, so that's two that have been added in since the original tiers came out last year. Whether we like it or not, the fact remains this is a Provincial tournament and seeds are based on Representaion by population in zones. Until BC School Sports or the Boys Basketball Association changes the zones or the method of qualifying, these teams will continue to be in the tournament. I`m sure there will be many motions at next years AGM to change the tournament, but that`s not much help for this year in what arguablly is the most wide open Fraser Valley in years. That being said, I still remember when we used to only get 3 berths from the Valley, so at least everyone still has a shot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PressThis

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:17 pm

Isn't there one zone with only one AAAA school and it gets an automatic entry? I think there may also be another zone with only 2 AAAA schools of which one gets in. If this is the case (let me know if it isn't), this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Seems like there needs to be a re-think of the tournament format (larger # of teams, play-ins etc.).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:44 pm

PressThis wrote:
Isn't there one zone with only one AAAA school and it gets an automatic entry?  I think there may also be another zone with only 2 AAAA schools of which one gets in.  If this is the case (let me know if it isn't), this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Seems like there needs to be a re-think of the tournament format (larger # of teams, play-ins etc.).
FYI, I believe 3 regions the Kootenay (Mount Baker), the North West (Queen Charlottes) and the North Central (Prince George) have a 'single' team in their zone, and based on the math 4 Automatic Berths were given out, I've outlined the 'berthing' formula below.

68 Total Teams
16 Berths to Provincials
Fraser Valley, 31 Teams-6 Berths
Lower Mainland, 16 Teams-3 Berths
Van Island, 9 Teams-2 Berths
Okanagan, 5 Teams-1 Berth
Howe Sound, 4 Teams-1 Automatic Berth
North Central, 1 Team-1 Automatic Berth
Kootenay, 1 Team-1 Automatic Berth
North West, 1 Team-1 Automatic Berth
This means that the remaining teams will get 1 berth for every 5.0833 teams.)

I like the idea of bringing the .5 berths back as they were done before, but I do understand the logistical problems that would arise having the teams from the north play a single 'Play-In' game.
Monetarily it would not make much sense for the school to expense out a single game as opposed to a week of guaranteeed games, we may not like it but as has been stated Province-wide 'participation' is given a higher priority than having the best possible 'competition.'
Even including the Provincial Tournament The Fraser Valley Championships will likely be the most competitive and best basketball tournament we will see all year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoopstar

PostSubject: Provincial Births   Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:40 pm

While I don't agree with teams getting automatic births, I understand the rationale. I also don't agree that the Valley's will be more competitive than the provincials.
There are 8 Valley teams in the preseason top 15 rankings (one of them is Yale). There may be some easy games at the Provincials however, you can't tell me that you think the 7 through 12 teams from the Valley are better than the top 3 from Vancouver, the top 2 from the island and the top Okanagan team.

This happens in every sport every year. Sometimes teams find themselves in a more competitive division and good teams don't make the playoffs (look at the NHL Western vs Eastern Conference). It is cyclical and doesn't mean the tournament has become a joke!

My recommendation to Valley teams and supporters...the faster you get over it and focus your energy on grabbing one of the 6 spots, the better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:36 pm

Hoopstar wrote:
...I also don't agree that the Valley's will be more competitive than the provincials.
There are 8 Valley teams in the preseason top 15 rankings (one of them is Yale). There may be some easy games at the Provincials however, you can't tell me that you think the 7 through 12 teams from the Valley are better than the top 3 from Vancouver, the top 2 from the island and the top Okanagan team...
The gap between the Valley 7-12 and the Mainland 1-3, Island 1-2, and Ok 1, are close in my opinion, and the Valley 13-16 I believe will be stronger than the 4 Auto Berths.
Gleneagle, Delta, Pitt, MEI, Holy Cross were teams ranked behind the top 6 Valley teams in the Province preseason rankings, and I don't think you can reasonably say those 5 would be huge underdogs against any team in the province, and I can honestly say I would put at-least two of those teams as favorites if they were to play against almost any other team in the province.

As an overall tournament, meaning the competitiveness of ALL games not just the final rounds, I stand behind my comments that I believe the Valley Championships will be the most competitive tournament of the year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fraservalley

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:56 pm

I agree, the Valley will be a better tournament all-around. As I was looking some things up I noticed Queen Charlotte does have a few Provincial team guys, The PG rep or Mt. Baker, may be behind them for seeding when it's all said and done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PressThis

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:00 pm

3 zones have only 1 AAAA team each and an automatic berth.  Must be nice to be able to make travel arrangements for March before season even starts.  There has to be a better way that improves competitiveness of tourney and still addresses regional representation objective.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
M-5

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:24 pm

2 ideas that could be solutions to strengthening the tournament, neither of which would I think the committee would entertain but here they are anyway:

1) Let teams from automatic berth zones play down to what they feel is their level of competition. Say a Mount Baker doesn't feel it can compete at AAAA in the tournament so they can be allowed to play AAA. I would hate to take a team to the provincials only to finish bottom 4 every year. This could even be decided by the seeding committee based on how the team has done against better competition during the season.

2) Have a playoff tournament between all of the teams in zones that get autoberths and give 1-2 berths for the top teams. That way those teams could justify travelling as they would get a 3 games or so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:43 am

One week to go. Let's try the rankings.

1. Holy cross
    With all the contrived coincidental transfers, the banner is theirs to lose. They will carry this stain all throughout the season. No matter you argue against.
2. Mouat
    Tristan is the reason. The best big man in this year. Unguardable.
3. Tamanawis:
    Vety good team and determined bunch. Home grown boys playing together since grade 8 unlike holy cross who will replace WRCA as their surrey nemesis this season.
4. Walnutgrove
   Nobody can underestimate the heart of champions.
5. Gleneagle
6. Terry Fox
7. St George's
8. Pitt
9. Kelowna owls
10. Claremont
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PressThis

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:06 pm

JLivingston wrote:
One week to go. Let's try the rankings.

1. Holy cross
    With all the contrived coincidental transfers, the banner is theirs to lose. They will carry this stain all throughout the season. No matter you argue against.
2. Mouat
    Tristan is the reason. The best big man in this year. Unguardable.
3. Tamanawis:
    Vety good team and determined bunch. Home grown boys playing together since grade 8 unlike holy cross who will replace WRCA as their surrey nemesis this season.
4. Walnutgrove
   Nobody can underestimate the heart of champions.
5. Gleneagle
6. Terry Fox
7. St George's
8. Pitt
9. Kelowna owls
10. Claremont
Pretty good list. I agree with order of top 5. I would put Churchill at 6, Sardis at 7 and Burnaby South at 8 and then carry on with rest of your list in order.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:03 am

I generally agree with PressThis…you've slotted in some excellent teams just where I would have.
In the LM Zone, I think Churchill and South have to be ahead of Saints, (who would be outside my top 10) and are capable of challenging the best.
Kits might need to be on the list as well. Several transfers from what I hear and that may have changed their outlook.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:46 am

IMO, Churchill, burnaby rebels and Sardis all are after top 6 only. I firmly believe my top 6 is locked.

Last edited by JLivingston on Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BestHoop

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:22 pm

in my opinion FV teams will always be better than LM teams because FV is a tougher and more physical league. That is not to say a LM team can't win the provincials because they have in the past but at the sametime usually the last 8 teams playing on the last day will always have more FV teams left.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:48 pm

I still have Tamanawis as #1, I have watched Tamanawis, WJ Mouat and Holy Cross play in the pre-season, and right now no team can match Tammy's depth, chemistry and skill overall. This Sunday's marquee match-up of Tammy/Mouat should give us a little clearer picture of some of the top teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:44 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
I still have Tamanawis as #1, I have watched Tamanawis, WJ Mouat and Holy Cross play in the pre-season, and right now no team can match Tammy's depth, chemistry and skill overall. This Sunday's marquee match-up of Tammy/Mouat should give us a little clearer picture of some of the top teams.
I know you knew very well HC is an odds-on favorite and you are trying underplay to avoid jinxing. With Jacquin in the line up, they will be the top seed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:59 pm

JLivingston wrote:
I know you knew very well HC is an odds-on favorite and you are trying underplay to avoid jinxing. With Jacquin in the line up, they will be the top seed.
All this talk of Quin at HC is still pre-mature until I see him on the court, which I haven't, so like I said based on what I have seen in the pre-season, I have actually watched these teams at the WJ Mouat FV officals tourney, Pitt Meadows Club Tourney, and Surrey Fall League, and I will re-iterate that Tamanawis is more than deserving of the Pre-Season #1 ranking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:11 pm

JLivingston wrote:
All this talk of Quin at HC is still pre-mature until I see him on the court, which I haven't, so like I said based on what I have seen in the pre-season, I have actually watched these teams at the WJ Mouat FV officals tourney, Pitt Meadows Club Tourney, and Surrey Fall League, and I will re-iterate that Tamanawis is more than deserving of the Pre-Season #1 ranking.
You may be right as this Jacquin joining is premature but after stating the same in his post, the AD of HC deleted them immedielty has raised eyebrows.

Anyway, leaving that aside, you are right and as of now, without Jacquin, I would also put Tammy at the top. But I clearly said in my post, with Jacquin in the line up, they are hard to beat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikeyb

PostSubject: Mikeyb's Top 10   Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:21 am

1. Tamanawis
2. Holy Cross
3. WJ Mouat
4. Walnut Grove
5. Sardis
6. Terry Fox
7. Gleneagle
8. Churchill
9. Burnaby South
10. Yale

HM: Delta, Kitsilano, Kelowna, Claremont, Van College, St. Georges, Pitt Meadows, Heritage Woods
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:26 pm

New rankings after this weekend?

1. Walnut Grove
2. WJ Mouat
3. Tamanawis
4. Bby South
5. Holy Cross
6. Gleneagle
7. Sardis
8 .Churchill
9. Terry Fox
10. Yale
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:43 pm

Why would WG jump ahead of Moaut since neither team has lost. And why would HC drop?

1. WJ Moaut
2. Holy Cross
3. Walnut Grove
4. Tamanawis

The rest is a crapshoot as it is very early in the season and all these teams can beat one another on any given night.

Is Pitt that good or are they getting HM because of reputation?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BCTopProspects

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:14 pm

basketballfan1 wrote:
Why would WG jump ahead of Moaut since neither team has lost. And why would HC drop?

1. WJ Moaut
2. Holy Cross
3. Walnut Grove
4. Tamanawis

The rest is a crapshoot as it is very early in the season and all these teams can beat one another on any given night.

Is Pitt that good or are they getting HM because of reputation?
On The Province's last AAAA Pre Season Rankings which came out November 27th, 2013, the rankings went:

1. Tamanawis
2. WG
3. Mouat
4. Gleneagle
5. Burnaby South
6. Holy Cross

I think JesusShuttlesworth's rankings are quite accurate as Tamanawis losing to Mouat should drop them below Mouat, however Mouat cannot go above Grove, so Tamanawis must move to 3, Mouat to 2, and Grove to 1. As for Holy Cross and Burnaby South, it seems fair that they will go above Gleneagle who lost to Grove last week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PressThis

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Still early but I don't see how Holy Cross can be ranked as low as 5. IMO they are min. top 3 if not favorites despite attempts to down play significance of transfers.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:31 am

PressThis wrote:
Still early but I don't see how Holy Cross can be ranked as low as 5.  IMO they are min.  top 3 if not favorites despite attempts to down play significance of transfers.
IMO Holy Cross should be a top 3 team come March, but pre-season rankings had them at 6 and I wouldn't jump them ahead of Tammy or Bby South as so far they have not played any significant competition aside from HM Heritage Woods. This weeks Telus Tourney should be telling as HC should get to play Top 10 teams Churchill and if they get past the semis, probably Bby South.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:10 pm

As of Sunday Dec.08, 2013

1. Walnut Grove
2. WJ Mouat
3. Tamanawis
4. Gleneagle
5. Bby South
6. Churchill
7. Holy Cross
8. Sardis
9. Terry Fox
10. Yale
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BCHoopsFan

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:44 am

As of Sunday Dec.08, 2013

1. Walnut Grove
2. WJ Mouat
3. Tamanawis
4. Gleneagle
5. Bby South
6. Churchill
7. Holy Cross
8. Sardis
9. Terry Fox
10. Yale
Burnaby south could be top 3, i wouldn't be surprised,since they have had a really nice start so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014   Today at 11:01 am

Back to top Go down

AAAA Top 10 predictions 2013-2014
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next