HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Canada Games Tryouts (Boneheads)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
poolie

PostSubject: Canada Games Tryouts (Boneheads)   Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:13 pm

Having a mandatory Canada Games tryout the same weekend as the Juevenile Girls Provincials is absolutely ridiculous. I cant believe that the coaching staff is that plain self centered that they couldn't allow these girls to play this past weekend. It not like they wouldnt be playing basketball. The summer games are not until the summer and to reschedule their practice would have been fairly simple. But when you have people trying show they are in charge and giving ultimatoms either show up or be cut. In my mind they should be reprimanded.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballwatcher

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games Tryouts (Boneheads)   Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Thats a tough one....completely not fair to make these girls choose between the team, coaches and teammates they have committed to playing with on a Juevenile team. Seems like a few big egos were at work here Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: Definitely ego trip   Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:31 pm

I feel bad that they pressured the girls either show up or be cut
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballwatcher

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games Tryouts (Boneheads)   Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:32 pm

definatly....that sucks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games Tryouts (Boneheads)   Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:56 am

Seems like a pretty poor choice of scheduling.....Is this team chosen under BNB or NBIAA ? Who are the coaches who made this decision?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: Neither   Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:39 am

If it is anything like baseball, they dont answer to BNB. Baseball New Brunswick has no say in what is done or who they choose for the Canada Games team. It deals directly with the Canada Games people and sport NB and that is why I think that they could get away with that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
C-N '06-'09

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games Tryouts (Boneheads)   Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:24 am

BNB still has something to do with it. Some deadlines are set by the national Canada Games committee and other deadlines are set provincially. BNB chooses the coaching staff and BNB has a responsibility to make sure their coaches are Level 3 or Comp Dev Certified. In my mind there are other issues with the selection process other than the weekend though.

It is my understanding that it was narrowed down to 30 players last summer. 12 of those players got to play provincial while the other would have played for a club or nothing at all. Why not narrow it down to 24 and have a u17D team the year before a Canada Games season. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BAM

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games Tryouts (Boneheads)   Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:05 pm

I think more then 12 played on provincial teams last summer the Majority of the 30 are made up of players from last summers U15 and U16 teams. Which is stange why it was mandated that this years Canada Games coach had to coach last years U17 team as none of those players are eligible for the Canada Games this year. Wouldn't it have made more sense for him to coach U16 last summer as those players will be mainly the ones on his team this summer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
C-N '06-'09

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games Tryouts (Boneheads)   Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:13 pm

BAM wrote:
I think more then 12 played on provincial teams last summer the Majority of the 30 are made up of players from last summers U15 and U16 teams. Which is stange why it was mandated that this years Canada Games coach had to coach last years U17 team as none of those players are eligible for the Canada Games this year. Wouldn't it have made more sense for him to coach U16 last summer as those players will be mainly the ones on his team this summer.

Isn't Canada Games U18?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: Coach of Canada Games Team   Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:11 pm

To me, the person that was going to coach the Canada Games team should have been coaching the U16 team. Pick your U 16 team with the intention of having them together for two years. I would say that the majority of the players would be 2nd year eligible but you are always going to have the exception or two. Maybe the powers to be can learn from this for the next Canada Games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games Tryouts (Boneheads)   Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:15 am

So many things to respond to here, I'll try to limit myself to just answering questions:

CG is u17. Instead of going to u17 nationals your provincial team goes to CG in a Canada Games year.

BNB gets a two year commitment from a U17 coach to ensure the coach has experience and firm grasp of the landscape and nuances of current National level tournaments before sending them to CG.

The past two Canada Games rotation the Canada Games girls coaches have chosen to leave all underage players down (u16) and train together as a group all summer while working with the u16 coaching staff. This is also the 2nd CG rotation in a row that they've had a training group.

ANyone was able to try out for the training group though the majority of players in the training group played u16/u15 last summer.

BNB has input into the training, coaches, managers, schedules etc. of u17/CG teams because they are where the funding comes from.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games Tryouts (Boneheads)   Today at 11:00 am

Back to top Go down

Canada Games Tryouts (Boneheads)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1