HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Drew Urquhart and Jadon Cohee

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bcbasketballfan

PostSubject: Drew Urquhart and Jadon Cohee   Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:31 am

What if these two played Drive together ??

What if they both leave for the US??

Which one is better ??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
M-5

PostSubject: Re: Drew Urquhart and Jadon Cohee   Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:12 am

What if they both played Basketball BC together?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Drew Urquhart and Jadon Cohee   Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:00 pm

They won't play AAU ball together as Urquhart plays for AllBall and Cohee Drive. Both are loyal to their respective programs. From what I know Urquhart considered playing HS basketball last year in Seattle, but it did not work out. He's a driven player so I wouldn't be shocked if he pursues it agian this year. As WalnutFan stated he knows the Cohee family well and they appear not to be considering this as an option. This topic came up last year it was stated that a prep school inquired about Cohee, but his family declined. There's no doubt both these players and others could play south of the border to develop their skills further and increase their opportunity to play at the D1 level, but if you recall others like recently graduated Jake Newman and Cam Smythe attended prep school after graduation. I've read that Smythe has secured some D1 offers, and that Newman is performing very well.

Urquhart and Cohee are both good players along with some others in BC. They both play differnt positions, Cohee is a PG and Urquhart will be a Small Forward. Each just like any other elite player has areas to improve on at their respective positions. When coaches are recruiting they aren't recruiting who is better, they are recruiting for specific positions. For instance, Oregon may be looking for three 2014 guards and specifically one PG or Washington needs one 2014 power forward. They'll draft a list of top players in the area and nationally, rank them in order of priority, watch them and make the determination whether to recruit them. I'll make it clear that we have some good players here, but the coaches aren't flooding the gyms. They inquire with BC HS coaches, BBC and club teams about the elite players as many staffs now have an assistant coach whose in charge of international recruiting especially with the impact Canadian players are having and some schools will contact players and come and watch them in person at AAU NCAA sanctioned events during the spring and summer. This is where these kids will have the opportunity to get or not get scholarships as they play other elite players from the Northwest region. I know for a fact that Cohee played U17 last summer and performed extremely well, which led to him receiving some offers and a lot of interest. Several schools were here in the fall to watch him and Tristan Etienne and at the AAAs. I've seen Washington's Lorenzo Lomar at games in BC watching Etienne, which I hear they are very interested in. I've read that Sukjot Bains has a D1 offer according to Athelite and according to Allball several schools have shown interest in Urquhart. I'm anticipating with their previous AAU experience and the way they are playing now that they will perform well at the U17 level this AAU season where all the Div 1 coaches will be closely watching and there will be more scholarship offers to follow. It's not about whose better it's about who will showcase their abilities to demonstrate they are deserving of a $250,000 scholarship offer at the position they play or where the Div 1 schools think they will play. I hope that EACH one plays very strong. The 2014 class is a special group, everyone can see that. The scary thing is how much better they can get. I believe they will all significantly turn the corner this summer and season as Seniors.

Now imagine if Urquhart, Etienne, Lajeune, Bains, Cohee, Minhas, Boire, Kongbo, Sparks-Guest, Cowley and so on represented BC at the Nationals, it would be one of the best BC teams ever and I feel they could compete with the eliteness of Ontario as they have the size, quickness, athleticism and skill to do so. These kids all respect one another as well. I don't know why it's not happening or being a bigger topic of conversation with BBC. To not have these kids play at Nationals is a huge, huge mistake by BBC, but you can't have these kids make a choice, because they'll stick with their club teams for the things mentioned above and loyalty. It's time for everyone to enjoy this 2014 class because after next year they are moving on to bigger and better things and I feel we as a basketball community really need to get behind them. Who ever thought Sacre, Olynyk or Nash were going to be NBA players or that Phil Scrubb was going to be the elite player in CIS. Predicting ceiling, ability, where they play and how they play is nothing but a prediction and personal belief. These players have become very good, because they work at it!!!

I notice BCBasketballfan you are a huge St. Georges and Urquhart supporter and I believe the intention of your post is create dialogue about really whose better as you even criticized Cohee at the AAAs, but his team were crowned Champions and he was MVP. Focus on and promote all these kids, as they are all good players in their own right, regions and positions. The competition isn't against each other, because they'll all excel at the BC HS level, their competition is all other elite players vying for the opportunity to play at the next level whether CIS or NCAA.

Last edited by DickVitale2013 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BallisGood1

PostSubject: Re: Drew Urquhart and Jadon Cohee   Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:04 pm

This truly is one of the best BC classes ever, very well said Dick. There have always been great HS players in BC but the difference with this class is the long term potential. Players like Cohee, Tristan, Drew, Mindy, Baines, Lejeune have Div 1 potential. We haven't seen this many players with the ability to play at the Div 1 level in BC. We can give a big thank you to players like Kelly Olynyk, Kevin Pangos, Anthony Bennett, Andrew Nicholson and Marc Trasolini for playing and succeeding in the NCAA. Players like that help open the eyes of scouts in the states, and they now see the talent level there is in BC and Canada. It really is exciting to see the high end talent coming through BC basketball, and the game is becoming more and more popular.

Well done to all the players, and good luck in the furture.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Drew Urquhart and Jadon Cohee   Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:42 pm

BallisGood1 - you are so right! They are only 16 years old and imagine where they can be in 3-4 years. They are ahead of the developmental curve, because they all demonstrate the passion, determination and work ethic it takes to succeed and they are surrounded by very knowledgeable and caring people from parents, to HS and AAU coaches. This is the exact reason why I chose to produce a thread about Kelly Olynyk to inspire all young players to chase your dream with pride, focus and determination even if people say you can't, or you're not American, or you don't play for a prep US school. Overcome any adversity and perservere, because that's what Steve Nash showed you, Robert Sacre showed you, Kelly Olynyk showed you, Manroop Clair showed you, Marc Trasolini showed you, Phil Scrubb showed you. Let your play do the talking and the rest of us will watch with a smile. I can't wait to watch the Zags and their Canadian connection do damage. So Proud of all the Canadians representing the Maple Leaf on basketball's biggest stage. Canadian Junior Cadougan of Marquette is going to work in a close one with Davidson. I hope to see a few of these BC kids in a few years doing the same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: Drew Urquhart and Jadon Cohee   Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:56 pm

DickVitale2013 wrote:
I notice BCBasketballfan you are a huge St. Georges and Urquhart supporter and I believe the intention of your post is create dialogue about really whose better as you even criticized Cohee at the AAAs, but his team were crowned Champions and he was MVP. Focus on and promote all these kids, as they are all good players in their own right, regions and positions. The competition isn't against each other, because they'll all excel at the BC HS level, their competition is all other elite players vying for the opportunity to play at the next level whether CIS or NCAA.

What a balanced statement!!. Man I can not help but admire your well thoughtful post.

Like DickVitale said, guys have to back off from attacking gators. I dont understand the intended slights like who is better, missed calls, not healthy, starting a rumour that jadon is going to prep school etc. It is not a rocket science to find out who you are affliated from your past posts. Sadly these are from schools that lost to gators. Please get over. Now Gators are the victors and nothing going to change it. But do you know what is going to change it? It is your team's victory in the next season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Drew Urquhart and Jadon Cohee   Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:50 pm

Big news coming out of allBALL Academy.

Glad to hear Urquhart will now likely participate at the Nationals for BC this summer.

Also via Basketball BC Twitter account:
"One Pass Ahead & Vancouver Sports Club are also Affiliated Club Programs of Basketball BC. Excited to work with clubs to develop our game"

Last edited by JesusShuttlesworth on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Drew Urquhart and Jadon Cohee   Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:31 pm

This is positive news, but practically how will it work as AllBall will be in the same tournaments as BBC and the rules stipulate that you can only play for one team, so it begs to question "Who will he play for?" and that is what I understand to be the hang-up between BBC and Club teams. Now this same business arrangement should be across the board for other club teams, and that may be more of a challenging endeavor with the various club teams given their individual schedules. As well, BBC has entered many of the NCAA tournaments that Club teams will or have entered. I hope it all works out for everyone's benefit and that we see other elite players playing for BBC at the Nationals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopster

PostSubject: Re: Drew Urquhart and Jadon Cohee   Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:11 am

Actually Dick, this is not news. One pass Ahead has allowed their players to play for Basketball BC in July and also August for U15 & U17, and they have done this for years.
The advantage of this is the kids can compete & train with their clubs in March - June. Basketball BC teams do not get together a lot before the July 1st week end, with tryouts in laye April early /May They used to go to 1 or 2 AAU tournies in June, but they had very little practice time. It is tough to work with a team when several players come from the Interior or the Island.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Drew Urquhart and Jadon Cohee   Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:32 am

Looks like I spoke to soon, it seems like AllBall Academy and Basketball BC can't come to an "agreement" and won't be affiliated after all. Too bad, would've loved to see Urquhart at Nationals this summer, hope things change but doesn't look promising.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drew Urquhart and Jadon Cohee   Today at 1:03 am

Back to top Go down

Drew Urquhart and Jadon Cohee
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1