HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Team AB U17

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
withoutapause

PostSubject: Re: Team AB U17   Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:39 pm

I know multiple coaches that applied and multiple that didn't apply. When asked why not take a stab at it, the general response is that Team AB is just gonna hire a close friend or relative of someone on the committee. The word around the province is that they have a preconceived notion of who they want. Regardless, there were multiple people who applied for this position that are quality coaches and would've definitely would've been able to get some of our top players to play and would've had a much better result than 10th out of 11th place. I was told it was gonna get much worse because _________ ________ Is gonna start allocating certain positions over to one of or both of his sons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoops4all

PostSubject: Re: Team AB U17   Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:15 pm

Surely this will cause the president and some of the board members of BA to step down, or at least someone else to take over the job. (someone not related) Is there not a time limit on that job? This cannot change with the current people continuing to run the show. I would hope that the parents of the u17 team have written some letters and made their unhappiness known, as some of those players will be looking for scholarships and it will be hard to include played for team ab at Canada games finished 10th out of 11
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsnut

PostSubject: Re: Team AB U17   Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:09 pm

Wow can you imagine if the executive director's son was a coach within basketball Alberta? Think about the PR nightmare for BA. Even if one of the sons turn out to be a good coach (not sure if any of them have coaching experience at a high level) the public would crucify BA. If people think BA has lost support from the public in the past few years, if this happens, consider BA off life support.

BA needs a coach that is not part of any club program or post secondary program. Otherwise the team selection will always be seen as self serving. Ideally if they can find someone who doesn't coach high school either, then there can be no bias in team selection. Finding such a person is few and far in between.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stogee

PostSubject: Mistaken   Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:19 pm

For Three you are mistaken with the following comment;

"The last time we medaled in either U17 or U15 boys was in the Manny Arop, Jordan Baker, Dom Coward era 6 years ago."

Actually the last medal won by an Alberta Men's team was 2009 bronze medal won by the U15 Team coached by Bob Murray. The team was lead by these players at Nationals:

Cooper Hamaliuk
Denzel James
Kyle Peterson
Lyndon Annetts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
For Three

PostSubject: Re: Team AB U17   Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:12 pm

That's right and I stand corrected. That was good U15 team.

Connor Foreman actually led that group in FG% (40%), rebounds (12.5) and points (12.2) and ended up as a first team all-star. Its hard to overlook his contribution as the key player on that team.

Your list includes James who was second in scoring and rebounding and Kyle Peterson who was solid with really good numbers (9 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 4 apg, 4.8 spg) that earned him a second team all-star nod. Lyndon Annetts did some scoring (10.2 ppg) and Hamaliuk led in minutes played (33 mpg) and shots taken (74) although first on the team in TOs (18) and last on the team in FG% (20%).

The results are a little skewed in that Quebec, New Brunswick and Newfoundland didn't send teams and BC split their team into 2. They did beat Saskatchewan by 13 for the bronze to earn a medal but its very hard to put them in the same class as the Manny Arop/Jordan Baker/Dom Coward teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Team AB U17   Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:33 pm

This is an interesting discussion. I missed the final month of high school and was really looking forward to watching the national tournaments on tv/online. All the teams looked good on paper. The U17 boys had a lot of representation from the south and I thought they could do well. I watched as many games as I could for the U17 and U15 boys and I watched a couple of the U17 girls games. No U15 girls games. I'd be interested to know if BA has an in-depth, official post mortem review process where they get together as an entire group and dissect how all the Alberta teams did and what could be done to improve upon the results. Does anyone know if that happens in any significant way other than good job, thanks, we'll get 'em next year sort of thing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
For Three

PostSubject: Re: Team AB U17   Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:57 pm

I highly doubt that happens at anywhere close to the level you're suggesting it should.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
withoutapause

PostSubject: Re: Team AB U17   Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:00 pm

12321 wrote:
This is an interesting discussion. I missed the final month of high school and was really looking forward to watching the national tournaments on tv/online. All the teams looked good on paper. The U17 boys had a lot of representation from the south and I thought they could do well. I watched as many games as I could for the U17 and U15 boys and I watched a couple of the U17 girls games. No U15 girls games. I'd be interested to know if BA has an in-depth, official post mortem review process where they get together as an entire group and dissect how all the Alberta teams did and what could be done to improve upon the results. Does anyone know if that happens in any significant way other than good job, thanks, we'll get 'em next year sort of thing?
Again I agree with "For Three." I to highly doubt that BA does a legit post season assessment of all of their coaches and teams because if they did, they wouldn't have taken a huge step back by REHIRING Stevens. As harsh as it may sound, there needs to be a complete overhaul of the BA Executive. Paul has done a nomad's job of getting BA out of debt but that doesn't mean that he is the best person for the job moving FORWARD. You cannot expect to go forward if you are moving backwards by rehiring a coach that wasn't successful in his first stint at the helm of BA U17 Boys.

To me this was utterly ridiculous and our boys and parents paid the ultimate price of taking a major thumping at the Canada Games. If this doesn't expose BA's political ways of screwing the pouch, I dont know what will:confused: 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
withoutapause

PostSubject: Re: Team AB U17   Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:27 pm

withoutapause wrote:
12321 wrote:
Again I agree with "For Three." I to highly doubt that BA does a legit post season assessment of all of their coaches and teams because if they did, they wouldn't have taken a huge step back by REHIRING Stevens. As harsh as it may sound, there needs to be a complete overhaul of the BA Executive. Paul has done a nomad's job of getting BA out of debt but that doesn't mean that he is the best person for the job moving FORWARD. You cannot expect to go forward if you are moving backwards by rehiring a coach that wasn't successful in his first stint at the helm of BA U17 Boys.

To me this was utterly ridiculous and our boys and parents paid the ultimate price of taking a major thumping at the Canada Games. If this doesn't expose BA's political ways of screwing the pouch, I dont know what will:confused: 
Damn i didn't know I would shut down the topic #mutepoint!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: Team AB U17   Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:11 pm

To be very clear. Alberta basketball and BC basketball for that matter, will not get back to their "elite" levels until they figure out a way to get the top players in the province to play for the provincial teams. The basketball clubs are taking away the top talent by offering better trips, better competition and better exposure. A strong coach can help but without talent they can only accomplish so much. BA needs to figure out how to get "all" of the club programs and their "large" egos into one room and do what is best for Alberta"s basketball future! Both the club program and the provincial program "can" co-exist. After that we can talk about getting the best coach.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
For Three

PostSubject: Re: Team AB U17   Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:49 am

If we can take anything away from BC's experience its that treating team alberta like a top level club team is not the answer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Team AB U17   Today at 1:10 pm

Back to top Go down

Team AB U17
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2