HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2013 Basketball BC U17 Team

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
basketballfan1

PostSubject: 2013 Basketball BC U17 Team   Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Below are players from last years U16 team. Who is a lock to make the U17 team and who is not on the list that could make it? Will anyone from the U16 squad be able to play on this team?

My picks to make the team are in bold.

Adam Karmali North Vancouver Handsworth SS
Kosia Cauw Port Coquitlam BC Christian
Grant Galbraith Port Moody Gleneagle SS
Joseph Davis Kamloops Westside
Denver Sparks-Guest Port Coquitlam Gleneagle SS
Jonathan Kongbo Vancouver Kitsilano SS
Tarik Scott Port Coquitlam Gleneagle SS
Martin Bogajev Burnaby Burnaby South SS
Jasdeep Gill Abbotsford Yale SS
Ashton Kendall Abbotsford Yale SS
Paul Baadsvik Abbotsford Yale SS
Gurjit Pooni Richmond RC Palmer SS
Jalen Jana Surrey St. Thomas More
Nathaniel Haglund Gibsons Elphinstone
Terence Turenne Gibsons Elphinstone
Brayden Belleville North Vancouver Carson Graham SS
Hayden Lejeune Chilliwack Sardis
Austin Penrose West Vancouver Sentinel
Eric Rogers Chilliwack Sardis
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Basketball BC U17 Team   Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:04 pm

Just finished the second day of Supercamp. 60 players attending and so far it has been a great camp. Very competitive in all of the drills and games with the boys working hard and responding well to the input of the coaches. We will have some very tough choices to make tomorrow as we make our mini camp selections. Camp goes 9:30 to 2:30 on Sunday at Langley Secondary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Basketball BC U17 Team   Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:03 am

Thanks for the update Ebe.

Are you able to list the players that have been invited back?

Last edited by basketballfan1 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Basketball BC U17 Team   Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:14 am

I really enjoyed this weekend and I thought the players responded well to the coaches and each other. Today's games were very high energy and extremely competitive. Coaches had some very tough decisions to make and I am sure that next week's mini-camp will be even more difficult as we try to pick the final roster. Thanks to all the kids for their hard work and the outstanding coaching group (Scott Clark-TRU, Peter Guarasci-UBCO, Todd Jordan-UNBC, Craig Behan-UVIC, Sean Shook-Quest, Jyoti Pawar-Brookswood, Mike McKay-Tamanawwis, Matt McKay-Delta, Jon Acob-McMath)
The mini-camp selections are below:
Corey Hauck
Nathan Vogstad
Taylor Montgomery-Stinson
Eric Rogers
TJ Turenne
Martin Bogajev
Skylar Sheehan
Tarik Scott
Sukh Bains
Elijah Campbell-Axson
Patrick Vandervelden
Jon Kongbo
RYan Cowley
Hayden Lejeune
Joe Davis
Alex Jordache
Graddy Zubaidi
Kosia Cauw
Dean Johnston
Grant Galbraith
Antonio Jhuty
Brayden Lenius
Denver Sparks-Guest
Drew Urquhart
Matthew Neufeld
Bowen Bakken
Evan Helgason
Cam Servaitus
Adam Karmali
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Basketball BC U17 Team   Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:02 pm

Some great talent listed there, will be a tough cut to select the team, names that immediately stoodout were Bains and Urquhart, two great players who are tough matchups for anyone (also add Lejeune to that mix). Interested to see some of those 'Club' players who haven't played with BBC before in Bains(AthElite), Urquhart(AllBall) and Hauck/Campbell-Axson/Cowley(Drive) hopefully represent BC for the first time at the Canada games this summer. The other BBC regulars are very good players aswell, and should make for a really good all-around squad once put together.

Based on "Ebe's" mini-camp selections,
My 'Projected' Top 18, (BOLD Projected Top 12)

GUARDS
Corey Hauck
Martin Bogajev
Adam Karmali
Elijah Campbell-Axson
Alex Jordache

Tarik Scott
Antonio Jhuty

FORWARDS
Drew Urquhart
Sukh Bains
Hayden Lejeune
Denver Sparks-Guest
Joe Davis

Jon Kongbo
Kosia Cauw

CENTRES
Ryan Cowley
Grant Galbraith

Matthew Neufeld
Patrick Vandervelden

Good luck to all the players, and to those I haven't listed I hope you prove me wrong, play hard and leave it all on the court.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Basketball BC U17 Team   Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:47 pm

Is Drew even trying out for BBC? Is there an agreement with BBC and AllBall?

I see Martin B is on the Drive U17 roster. Is he playing both?

Should be an interesting camp next week. Not too surprised that Corey left Drive but he is more of a shooting guard than point. And if Martin is on BBC then Corey will probably take a backseat as Martin's shooting percentage is a lot better than Corey's. I guess he gets away with it on Mouat but there are traditional point guards on BBC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
M-5

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Basketball BC U17 Team   Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:13 am

I'd bet Karmalli will be the starting PG. Gets everyone involved more so than the other shoot-first guys on the list that might play 1.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Basketball BC U17 Team   Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:04 pm

M-5 wrote:
I'd bet Karmalli will be the starting PG. Gets everyone involved more so than the other shoot-first guys on the list that might play 1.

Good point M-5. Do they even have a true 1 other than Karmali?

My starting 5 would look like:

PG: Adam Karmali
SG: Elijah Campbell (Starting Corey would make their backcourt undersized)
SF: Sukh Bains
PW: Hayden Lejeune
C: Grant Galbraith

This is assuming Drew is playing with Allball.

Braden Belleville and Denver Sparks off the bench will be solid. Also, having Corey come off the bench would be better as he could play the 1 probably better then all the other subs.

Good luck to all the players this weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Islandview2

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Basketball BC U17 Team   Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:31 pm

[quote="basketballfan1"]
M-5 wrote:
Good point M-5. Do they even have a true 1 other than Karmali?

IMO, Taylor Stinson-Montgomery (Claremont) is a true 1 and might be the best pt gd. in this group.

Also, 6-9 Matt Neufeld (Lambrick Park) should make this team. He had a terrific season as an 11th-grader and is one of the best emerging bigs in the province.

Caught a bit of the try-outs last week. Hayden Lejeune, Martin B., Elijah Campbell-Axon also looked good.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Basketball BC U17 Team   Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:14 pm

A few points:

I'm not familiar with Montgomery so he might be in the mix for making the team and starting as PG. Karmali has been a long time BBC player and possibly the front runner for the starting PG spot. I'm not a supporter of this term true PG that many refer too. If you're a point guard and the coach assigns you this role then you're the PG for the team. In today's games many of the elite PG's can score and distribute from HS to NBA. In fact many coaches won't even recruit the true PG's, because of their limitations as offensive threats and keeping defenses honest. The keys for offensively skilled PGs are that they know when to score or pass the ball and how to lead. Hauck is a young player who can develop further in this area and BBC maybe the perfect setting for him. The fact that Etienne and he have chosen to play on differnt squads is an interesting matter especially for the highly ranked Moaut team. Before it is all said and done the coaching staff will choose the PG that best meets or fits their expectations.

I believe that Sparks-Guests will be in the starting line-up as SG or SF. He performed very well for BBC last year and had a strong senior campaign. Again these players will have a chance to compete against one another and show their abilities in games. We all maybe surprised who makes and starts come the Nationals.

I assume then Bains has made a decision not to play with Athelite; however, I've heard both he and Urquhart are playing with their club teams as is Etienne, Minhas and Cohee, which would have represented the starting line-up. The way the schedule's conflict and BBC's directive a player can't play for both teams. This is why I heard that Urquhart has bowed out after he attended last week's tryouts. I can not find fault in any of their decisions as they pursue their NCAA interests. It's too bad it was not worked out beforehand for the Nationals. Regardless, BBC should be competitive but will struggle against the other powers Quebec and Ontario.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Basketball BC U17 Team   Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:52 pm

Any updates from last night? Are Drew and Sukh playing with BBC?

Anyone stand out that we may not have heard of?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Basketball BC U17 Team   Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:33 am

We had a very competitive two days at the selection camp. All the athletes worked very hard and were very coachable. All of the coaches really enjoyed working with this group of young men. I am confident they will have a very good summer and will represent our Province in a postive manner.
Congratulations to those selected:
Basketball BC U 17 Team 2013
4 Elijah Campbell-Axon
5 Adam Karmali
6 Jonathan Kongbo
7 Nathan Vogstad
8 Denver Sparks-Guest
9 Martin Bogajev
10 Tarik Scott
11 Corey Hauck
12 Dean Johnston
13 Alexander Jordache
14 Patrick Vandervelden
15 Taylor Montgomery-Stinson
20 Grant Galbraith
21 Ryan Cowley
22 Joe Davis
23 Antonio Jhuty
24 Braiden Belleville
35 Matt Neufeld
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Basketball BC U17 Team   Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks for posting the link Ebe.

Biggest surprise is that Hayden Lejeune didn't make the team.

Did he not show up for tryouts or could he not commit for personal reasons? Or was he just not good enough this time around?

I thought Hayden was a shoe in from his past with BBC and the fact that he developed into a great player this past year with Sardis.

IMO, it will be very difficult for these two teams to compete on the AAU circuit. They went guard heavy but the guards really do not have the size or athleticism that is needed to compete down south. I'm sure they can shoot the ball but what about breaking down defenders off the dribble. If they can't do that then the open shots just won't be there.

Defensively will be another issue altogether. Some of their bigs seem too slow and the bigs that have great athleticism don't have a lot of offensive skill.

BBC definately surprised with some selections but one really shows a bias between a player and former coach/evaluator. Not naming names but if you know these players, you can figure it out. Nothing against the player, but IMO, there were others that should have been selected.

These selections do not seem to be the best 18 players selected.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Basketball BC U17 Team   Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:10 pm

Congratulations to the 18 players selected to represent BC at the Canada Games. I was surprised over a few selections, but not Urquhart and Bains no longer participating. There are serious issues that require addressing here. It will be very difficult for this team to compete in the AAU circuit as points raised by Basketballfan 1 are very relevant. Competing at the U17 level against basically all-star teams from the Northwest will exploit BBC's weaknesses. They're all good players, but not within the elite level whom they will be competing against. I hope that the experience aids in their development, and not demoralizing if they're are being beaten handily. It doesn't do BC any good when the appearance it gives to US and Coaches that this is the level of talent and skill in BC.

Basketball BC should not be competing in the AAU circuit when they know that the majority of the top players in BC would remain with their club teams to compete in the AAU circuit. What they have done given their arrogance, unwillingness or inferior vision is deprive BC of having the best possible team at the Nationals, which is the PREMIER event for all Provincial teams in Canada. The same issue exists in other parts of Canada. Speaking to counterparts in Eastern Canada they have advised that the Nationals have really become watered down in the quality of play and talent level. Ontario still produces great teams given the depth of their elite players.

This must be addressed by the BBC executive or the BC basketball community at large. The same issue will surface next year when the top U16s elect to play club ball as I see the majority of the top U16s are playing club ball this season. Had BBC just entertained the Nationals they could have had the best players participate and practice and prepare to make a serious run at the gold medal. No one can argue that BC's top 7-8 players could be as good as any group in Canada. The spirit of Team BC is not just another team, but is suppose to represent the best we have and their continued development and exposure. How many of this year's team will be coveted for the next level. That's the purpose of having 18 players, you can develop te next crop. When you have the history of BBC this is what you should be trying to preserve by changing your current practices and principles.

The players make choices they feel are best for them, but none of them will have ever competed for BBC, which is tragic in itself, and probably something they would have wanted. BBC stop living in your history, times have changed, AAU ball is very relevant in BC and Canada, the days of Olynyk and Nash are over as almost all elite young players will join a club team when their young to further develop their skills with more coaching, training and playing multiple games in the US against tough competition. You can pray and hope they jump on board at U17, but history shows it not likely. Ironically the top U17 players in the Province have grown through their HS and AAU programs.

It's time for a CHANGE!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Basketball BC U17 Team   Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:54 pm

Picking teams is tough. There are some very good coaches involved in the process. They've seen these kids play all year and over the past few weekends.

Any word on Eric Rogers from Sardis? I felt both him and Hayden would be on the team based on their play this year. Were they both cut, hurt or did they decide on club ball?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Basketball BC U17 Team   Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:05 pm

Have the teams for BBC U17 been picked for this coming weekend? Wondering who is on the Elite roster.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2013 Basketball BC U17 Team   Today at 3:02 pm

Back to top Go down

2013 Basketball BC U17 Team
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1