HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

NW Premier Showcase (NCAA Sanctioned Tournament)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BBCfan1

PostSubject: NW Premier Showcase (NCAA Sanctioned Tournament)   Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:38 pm

Basketball BC U17 Elite
Platinum Division
Pool C

Saturday 940am Bellevue College vs FOH U17
Saturday 220pm Bellevue College vs Rise (CA)

Saturday Winner pool C vs Winner pool D 7pm Bellevue College

Drive Basketball U17 Elite
Platinum Division
Pool D

Friday 830pm Bellevue College vs OR Stars Red
Saturday 940am Bellevue College vs Hoopsource Elite

Possible BC vs Drive matchup at 7pm on saturday at Bellevue if both teams win their respective pools

Good luck to both teams representing our province this weekend
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: NW Premier Showcase (NCAA Sanctioned Tournament)   Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:54 pm

Tourney Schedule Link (Results usually updated on this page aswell)
http://www.premierhoops.net/PDFs/2013-spring-showcase-schedule.pdf

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: NW Premier Showcase (NCAA Sanctioned Tournament)   Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

BBCfan1 wrote:
Basketball BC U17 Elite
Platinum Division
Pool C

Saturday 940am Bellevue College vs FOH U17
Saturday 220pm Bellevue College vs Rise (CA)

FYI, Basketball BC Elite has moved from Pool C to Pool F.

Basketball BC U17 Elite
Platinum Division
Pool F

Saturday 10:50am Bellevue College vs Boise Hoop Dreams
Saturday 3:30pm Bellevue College vs I-5 Elite

BBCfan1 wrote:

Possible BC vs Drive matchup at 7pm on saturday at Bellevue if both teams win their respective pools

BBC and Drive are now in opposite sides of the draw and won't meet in the Champions bracket unless they both go undefeated and make the final on Sunday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: NW Premier Showcase (NCAA Sanctioned Tournament)   Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:33 pm

Basketball BC Elite U17
Platinum Division
vs. Boise Hoop Dreams L 41-71
vs. I-5 Elite L 34-67
(Consolation Bracket)
vs. RSB W
vs. Team ACCESS L

Basketball BC Select U17
Gold Division
vs. Central WA Select L 50-56
vs. AIP Ambition W 62-60
vs. Spokane Swish L
vs. ECBA Force. L

Drive Elite U17
Platinum Division
vs. OR Stars Red W 69-49
Mindy Minhas 18 pts, 8 reb
Jadon Cohee 18 pts, 8 reb

vs. HoopSource Elite W 64-52
Jadon Cohee 19 pts, 5 ast
Mindy Minhas 17 pts, 8 reb

(Champions Bracket)
(Quarter-Final) vs. FOH 17u Blue W 67-44
Tristan Etienne 16 pts, 14 reb, 6 blk
Mindy Minhas 16 pts, 8 reb

(Semi-Final) vs. ID Select Black W 59-48
Jadon Cohee 24 pts, 4 ast
Tristan Etienne 13 pts, 14 reb

(Final) vs. Boise Hoop Dreams W 46-43
Jadon Cohee 18 pts, 7 reb
Tristan Etienne 15 pts, 19 reb, 3 blk

U17 NW Premier Champions

Drive Elite U16
Platinum Division
vs. Total Package White W 79-29
Taylor Browne 17 pts
Jauquinn Bennet-Boire 13 pts, 6 reb, 6 ast

vs. LocalHOOPS Alpha W 67-43
Cordell Parker 29 pts (9 3's)
Jauquinn Bennet-Boire 24 pts, 13 reb, 11 ast

(Champions Bracket)
(Quarter-Final) vs. Idaho Select Red L 63-74
Ethan Scott 20 pts, 6 reb
Jauquinn Bennet-Boire 13 pts, 4 reb

vs. Elite 24 W 66-58
Ethan Scott 24 pts
Jauquinn Bennet-Boire 20 pts, 8 reb, 9 ast

Last edited by JesusShuttlesworth on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:56 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: NW Premier Showcase (NCAA Sanctioned Tournament)   Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:38 am

Thanks for the updates.

Did BBC split their teams evenly or do they have a clear A and B team?

Would love to see the rosters for both teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BBCfan1

PostSubject: Re: NW Premier Showcase (NCAA Sanctioned Tournament)   Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:54 am

BC A team

1) Corey Hauck
2) Grant Galibrath
3) Matt Neufeld
4) Adam Karmali
5) Alex Jordache
6) Braydn Bellville
7) Joe Davis
Cool Denver sparks guest
9) Martin Bogajev

Looking at the results from day 1 doesnt seem like this team is built to compete in these AAU events vs top level competition from the Northwest. They lost both games by 30+ points just not acceptable for this team to be representing our province in these events. The team would be better off bringing up some of the "B" team players such as Elijah and Jonathan Kongbo as they need more grit and toughness to be at the level of these teams.

Hoping for a better result tomorrow and hope some roster decisions are made to upgrade this team as i feel there is potential on this team but the coaches have neglected some of the players and realizing there needs to be designated roles for these teams and need to get more out of their players in these tournaments
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: NW Premier Showcase (NCAA Sanctioned Tournament)   Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:38 pm

Why is BBC entering their teams in the Platinum and Gold divisions? Isn't the purpose of these programs to develop players and establish team chemistry? They unlike other club teams have only had one or two practices. Why they would enter a tourney so early in their season and want to play in the highest division really makes me shake my head.

BBC should try and compete at these tourneys for the sake of the players and the program. Losing by 30+ just makes the program look like a joke.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach SJS

PostSubject: Re: NW Premier Showcase (NCAA Sanctioned Tournament)   Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:02 pm

The BC U17 team is making a mistake by having Jonathan Kongbo on the B team. He is one of the most athletic players in BC right now and is improving his all around game every day
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Drive Success   Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:58 am

The players and coaches at Drive should be very proud of their success this weekend. It was the best basketball I have seen played by teams from BC. I saw the U16 & 17 teams compete in ways they've never done before (at least for the seven or so yrs I have been watching) against many of the best teams from the US Northwest.

Congratulations to the U17s on the first win ever by a Canadian team in the top division of the Seattle NW Premier Showcase tournament. They played brilliantly.

The U16s also played very well in the top division and won their pool, going 3-1 overall and only losing a well-fought game to the eventual champions. They ended up 5th of 36 teams despite playing without key player Jermaine Haley (ankle).

Good luck in Houston next weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: NW Premier Showcase (NCAA Sanctioned Tournament)   Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks Jesus for the updates. Much appreciated.

Congratulations to Drive U17s for an amazing accomplishment. I see that there were over 50 teams registered for the NCAA sanctioned tourney from California through to Vancouver. I'm not at all surprised the team won against elite talent as we have some very gifted players in this Province who showed what they can do. As a result Tristan Etienne and Jadon Cohee are receiving Division 1 scholarship offers and interest from mid to high majors including home/school visits this week, and others are showcasing themselves as well to NCAA and CIS schools. I'm anticipating by the end of the summer numerous Drive players will have NCAA and CIS offers. If they have a similar showing in Houston it will catapult them onto the National recruiting radar and produce some exciting times for BC. I've said this before that our elite 2014s are a special group and Basketball BC did not take advantage!

I can only fully support BBCfan and Basketballfan1's comments that it was unfair to the players to insert them into the elite Division with few practices and limited chemistry. Losing by 30 points in the beginning of the season must be demoralizing to the players especially in the face of their counterpart's great performance and recognition they are receiving. It must have been difficult for the coaching staff and supporters as well. Further, this has done nothing to enhance the reputation of BC basketball to prospective coaches and programs. I'm seriously questioning BBC's actions and am at a lost with what they are doing. The program is leaderless now and in a state of disarray. This was my exact argument when I said BBC should not be trying to become or compete with club teams as they will not get enough of the elite players to participate in these ultra-competitive AAU events. More so, they could have put BC Basketball back on the national map with a great performance at the Nationals. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind after watching the AAAs this year and seeing the results of this past weekend that BC's elite players would have won or competed for the Gold medal at the Canada Games. Their starting line-up would have been comprised of NCAA Division 1 talent. What's worse is what is BBC doing to further develop these elite players and helping them with gaining National Team and University exposure, which a program like BBC should be doing as its affiliated with Basketball Canada.

I hope that they get these kids prepared to play for their next big challenges, because it isn't fair to the players!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lefon Jang

PostSubject: Re: NW Premier Showcase (NCAA Sanctioned Tournament)   Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:40 pm

It's unfair to criticize Basketball BC for not attracting these 'elite' players to their program. Most (if not all) clubs offer sponsorship to these players to play for them. Unless Basketball BC is prepared to do that it's almost impossible to compete with them for the 'elite' players. Basketball Clubs are business entities and they use these players as a marketing tool. The success of their AAU teams will lead to sold out camps. For that, they'll go all out to get these 'elite' players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: NW Premier Showcase (NCAA Sanctioned Tournament)   Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:02 pm

Lefon, you are misunderstanding my point. BBC does not need to compete as an AAU club so there wouldn't be an issue of attracting top players. They could have easily planned and organized their program to attract the premier players from around the Province for the Canada Games, which should be their priority. Therefore the same kids who play club ball could have tried out and represented BC at the Nationals without having to depart their club teams. So the criticism is warranted given what we saw happen to the BBC teams over the weekend and that we will not have the best group of players at the Nationals.

I have no clue what you’re talking about with regards to sponsorships as these players pay to play club; same as they do for BBC. There is no doubt that being a successful club will attract very good players, but you're way off base and inflammatory when you state that they "use these kids as a marketing tool." From what I've seen they work much harder than BBC at helping these kids play at the next level. They develop relationships with the players and parents and every situation may not turn out positively, no different than the HS programs.

What does it tell you when these elite players remain with their clubs that they've been with since a young age instead of bouncing to BBC. You're forgetting about relationships, loyalty, development, opportunity etc. They've had their fair share of criticism and tumultuous relationships, but so has BBC. I know several players that were unsatisfied with playing club and BBC ball. The key is to find the situation that best fits and benefits you. Some U17 Drive players elected to participate with BBC this season, which from my perspective may have been the best situation for them. I would be interested in getting their feedback at the end of the season with regards to their experience. They'll face their own challenges such as what 12 players will compromise the Canada Games team and what will their roles and playing time be. I can guarantee by the end their will be several that will not be happy with their experience at BBC or their club team. It’s the nature of the business.

I don't think any BBC players is that happy after the results of the past weekend and that falls in the hands of BBC not using sound judgment. Sorry, but I'm not willing to give BBC a free pass for their actions. You neglect the importance of club ball. It continues to grow and is becoming more popular. Another Club team just started up in North Vancouver. Where do the rest of these kids play if they aren’t selected to Provincial teams? They need a competitive outlet to improve. Lastly, there are only a handful of elite players on each club team and many don't have any elite players, but they are full of kids just trying to get better pushing themselves to great things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: NW Premier Showcase (NCAA Sanctioned Tournament)   Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:33 pm

What Lefon's referring to is the fact that many of these club teams will either pay for ("sponsor") or subsidize the cost of players' fees to play for their club. This isn't a new practice nor should it be surprising.

I do agree with DickVitale2013 that BBC should focus on getting the best players to play for their team in the BC Summer Games and cross-Canada provincial tournaments, after all you're representing your province with that uniform.

My issue with some club teams is they can have a negative effect on a player's ego aka their ego increases exponentially. While this isn't the club's fault, it seems to be happening more and more. I know of a kid who made a prominent club's team last year but he didn't play more than 5-10 minutes off the bench for his HS team yet he walked around acting like he was top 10 in the province for his age. That's not the club's fault, but playing for that club instilled that mentality. It's almost like if you don't play for a club like Drive or allBall then you're not that good. I've heard of the sentiment that certain clubs only focus on the players that they know are good and will bring exposure to their program (which I guess is similar to Lefon's marketing comment). Perhaps that's inevitable but it's not right.

All told though, while there's clubs popping up left and right these days, it's much better than in the early 2000's when there was really only BBC and a few local club teams (i.e. Paul Ebehardt's team in Richmond). Not only are we seeing more talent across the board but it's giving a lot of these kids the showcase opportunity they wouldn't get otherwise.

HOWEVER - we have a long way to go before we start outputting D1-calibre talent on the regular.
Back to top Go down
BBCfan1

PostSubject: Re: NW Premier Showcase (NCAA Sanctioned Tournament)   Thu May 02, 2013 9:18 pm

Rumor has it Jonathan Kongbo has been kicked off the team? Can anyone confirm or deny this? Does this mean they will offer up this spot to another player who had been previously cut from the team and also why was Jonathan kicked off is it the lack of results the BC team had in Bellevue or was it the teams coaches who kicked him off. Unfortunately another one of BC's top players will not be representing BC this summer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach SJS

PostSubject: Re: NW Premier Showcase (NCAA Sanctioned Tournament)   Thu May 02, 2013 11:59 pm

I've got a hard time believing kongbo was kicked off the team unless he did something pretty serious. It is also a possibility he himself quit the geam
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lukester0506

PostSubject: Re: NW Premier Showcase (NCAA Sanctioned Tournament)   Fri May 03, 2013 1:01 am

He did not get kicked off, I believe it was his decision.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lukester0506.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NW Premier Showcase (NCAA Sanctioned Tournament)   Today at 3:46 am

Back to top Go down

NW Premier Showcase (NCAA Sanctioned Tournament)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1