HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

EDP Junior boys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Bench

PostSubject: EDP Junior boys   Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:31 pm

With the EDP showcase day this Sunday. I was hoping to get some discussion on some of the kids that will be playing this weekend. I have been involved with the southern region. Here are some of the players to watch this weekend. Some of these kids will be making the jump to high school next year and I'm sure we will be hearing their names over the next few years.

Christopher Alexander--Sussex
Alex Daley --KV
Andrew Creaghan --KV
Blair Hawkins --Fundy
Adam Lambert --River Valley
Ryan Ellis --River Valley
Evan Matheson --River Valley
Allen Nixon --Sussex
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: EDP Junior boys   Wed May 01, 2013 11:13 am

I got to see Adam play a few weeks ago in Moncton, he's looking really solid.

I'm a bit biased since I coach some of the kids, so I wont bother listing them.

I'll be in Fredericton Sunday to watch everyone hopefully.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: EDP Junior boys   Wed May 01, 2013 2:21 pm

I don't know most of those names but I can only assume you're from the SJ area? You named kids from areas that Todd Lambert has on his U13 club team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Bench

PostSubject: Re: EDP Junior boys   Thu May 02, 2013 7:14 pm

I'm actually from St Stephen. Todd Lambert coaches in River Valley and I will admit that he does have some skilled players in River Valley. I think I covered the southern region pretty well. The only area I didn't list was the one I live in. St Stephen has some decent players, but I wouldn't put them in the top 10 from the area.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: EDP Junior boys   Thu May 02, 2013 8:46 pm

There are 12 kids in the EDP in Moncton, in no particular order:

Tyler Thorne (Moncton)
Sam Moore (Moncton)
Donnie Grant (Moncton)
Christian ?? (Dieppe)
James French (Moncton)
Luke Holt (Riverview)
Benn Carson (Riverview)
Kyle Rossiter (Riverview)
Aram Currie (Riverview)
Chris Robin (Riverview)
Mitchell Lunney (Riverview)
Ryan Coleman (Riverview)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Bench

PostSubject: Re: EDP Junior boys   Tue May 07, 2013 6:58 pm

All of the guys I put forth made Bantam Elite except Alex Daley. Two other south kids that I didn't mention made it. Will Harris is from East Saint John and Jamie White is from Lancaster. I was really impressed with the Riverview kids. They had 3 players that I would put in the top 5 in the entire EDP. Coach Red. Lots of the kids you listed made it. The Rossiter kid was very impressive. I particularly thought the French kid looked good. The Carson kid also would be one of the top 5 kids in EDP. The most impressive kid was Carlo Theriault who is from Campbellton. This kid has amazing ball handling ability and was a very good shooter. He easily was the best kid out there. Fredericton was also well represented, lots of quality players coming from that area. Harvey had two kids that looked really good in Thomas Drummond and Brett Curtis. The entire province was well represented. Lots of quality players at this age level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Bench

PostSubject: Re: EDP Junior boys   Tue May 07, 2013 7:00 pm

I have heard good things about Tyler Thorne, but he missed the session. Riverview basketball looks strong moving forward.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: EDP Junior boys   Tue May 07, 2013 8:26 pm

Yes we're strong this year. Kyle didn't seem to have any problems getting position and scoring any time he wanted. Benn was able to take most of his defenders off the dribble or spotted up well enough when Kyle got doubled. James played exceptionally well in the semifinals against Fredericton, and played fairly well in the other tier 1 games downstairs. Aram did what he normally does and did the dirty work of rebounding and hitting several open shots.

I'd agree with Benn and Kyle being top 5, that Carlo player really had handles and good energy, very impressive. Personally (I'm biased) I have Aram placed ahead of James simply because I know what Aram can do in an actual 5 on 5 game. He shines in the open court whether it's pulling down a defensive board and hitting his team mate running the lane, or if someone else rebounds he fills the lanes exceptionally well, and lastly he anticipates passes to his man so well that he scores 6-10 points a game off steals and converting at the other end. With all that said, I'd have Benn, Kyle, Aram, Carlo and maybe Tyler Thorne as the top 5.

I was a bit surprised tonight when I heard Tyler didn't attend last years jamboree either (didn't make it last year), and made it this year.

I enjoyed the jamboree more last year because it allowed kids to play real basketball, not this half court 3 on 3 which is different in so many ways than your standard basketball game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Bench

PostSubject: Re: EDP Junior boys   Tue May 07, 2013 10:04 pm

I had my reservations about the 3 on 3 as well. A lot of kids can be effective in the half court, but disappear in the full court. It really doesn't encourage playing defense in situations that require you to get down and move. Most guys can play defense in half court situations against any player with relatively good skills. The one thing I did like is it forces guys to work in order to get open from an offensive stand point. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but I would have preferred seeing them in a complete game like situation. You can get a better feel for who is dominating and doing productive things in full court situations. Half court games allow for lazy defense. Hard to argue with your top five. Some guys that I would put up as challenging those guys would be

Mitch Webber- Woodstock area
Blair Hawkins- Fundy
Brett Curtis- Harvey
Thomas Drummond- Harvey
Brett Speedy- Fredericton ( Very small with above average shooting ability)
Tyrel Poole- Fredericton ( I may have the last name wrong)
Adam Lambert - River Valley

There was a kid from Grand falls that I thought was decent, can't remember his name. He is a smaller kid. That being said I thought the whole group was pretty deep. there are a lot of good players that I haven't even mentioned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: EDP Junior boys   Wed May 08, 2013 5:32 am

I'm only familiar with Brett, Tyrel and Adam. Tyrel surprisingly didn't make the camp. I watched Adam play a few games and he didn't show as well as I thought he would. He tried to do too much rather than use his team mates.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Bench

PostSubject: Re: EDP Junior boys   Wed May 08, 2013 7:39 am

Tyrel would have made the camp, the Fredericton coach said to take him off the list. He had made it known that he wouldn't be attending due to baseball commitments.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: EDP Junior boys   Wed May 08, 2013 9:35 am

Gotcha, that clears up my curiosity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawkfan

PostSubject: Re: EDP Junior boys   Sat May 11, 2013 1:14 pm

Coach.Red wrote:
Yes we're strong this year. Kyle didn't seem to have any problems getting position and scoring any time he wanted. Benn was able to take most of his defenders off the dribble or spotted up well enough when Kyle got doubled. James played exceptionally well in the semifinals against Fredericton, and played fairly well in the other tier 1 games downstairs. Aram did what he normally does and did the dirty work of rebounding and hitting several open shots.

I'd agree with Benn and Kyle being top 5, that Carlo player really had handles and good energy, very impressive. Personally (I'm biased) I have Aram placed ahead of James simply because I know what Aram can do in an actual 5 on 5 game. He shines in the open court whether it's pulling down a defensive board and hitting his team mate running the lane, or if someone else rebounds he fills the lanes exceptionally well, and lastly he anticipates passes to his man so well that he scores 6-10 points a game off steals and converting at the other end. With all that said, I'd have Benn, Kyle, Aram, Carlo and maybe Tyler Thorne as the top 5.

I was a bit surprised tonight when I heard Tyler didn't attend last years jamboree either (didn't make it last year), and made it this year.

I enjoyed the jamboree more last year because it allowed kids to play real basketball, not this half court 3 on 3 which is different in so many ways than your standard basketball game.
Thorne made it last year but decided not to go. The process is far from perfect and with it being 3 on 3 it is even worse. Guys like arum who are not fancy and just go about there work sometimes get overlooked He wasnt even originally picked for it last year but got there when someone backed out and he was and is a great player.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: EDP Junior boys   Sat May 11, 2013 4:08 pm

Quote :
Thorne made it last year but decided not to go. The process is far from perfect and with it being 3 on 3 it is even worse. Guys like arum who are not fancy and just go about there work sometimes get overlooked He wasnt even originally picked for it last year but got there when someone backed out and he was and is a great player.

I agree 100% with you about their process. Last years Jamboree at least let you see a players full arsenal rather than what they can (or can't) do in half court 3 on 3.

Even though Tyler was sick last weekend I think anyone who would try to argue him not making it this year is just downright stubborn. He showed well in the Moncton EDP and deserves the spot.

As far as Aram not making it last year, it wasn't so much the fact he didn't make it that bugged me, more so the kids they chose over him. I'm not sure on their process for "grading" players but I think something needs to change. This year was a bit easier at least for the Moncton group, as only 14 kids tried out and 12 made the EDP group.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EDP Junior boys   Today at 3:17 am

Back to top Go down

EDP Junior boys
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1