HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Canada Summer Games

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
PhilJackson

PostSubject: Canada Summer Games   Fri May 31, 2013 6:04 pm

Okay, I am going to be very straight forward here. I've been a fan of BC basketball for a number of years now and I have to say that this is the weakest Basketball BC (U17) team that we have EVER had. There have been plenty of U16 and even U15 teams in the past that would completely destroy this team. With this U17 team going to The summer games this year and respesenting us almost makes me embarrassed to live in BC and to be apart of the basketball here. We are suppose to be a top three province every year! We might not even be top 7 with this team. Club basketball is on the rise in this province (and it is awesome) but if the clubs and BBC cannot find a balance and put THE BEST kids in the province on the floor at THE CANADIAN SUMMER GAMES, then I will be appauled. The two usual top provinces always had their kids on the provincial team, and they still play club. Ross, do something about this. This is pathetic. BBC needs to lower their ego. Kudos to AllBall, Athelite and Drive for putting REAL time in with these kids.

- A true supporter of BC basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Fri May 31, 2013 11:40 pm

Posted May 7....add to the fact that unless your 6'8" and above we can't get anyone on the National Teams, another example of BBC's poor performance identifying, developing and marketing payers for Basketball Canada.

So many significant points, so where do you start.

Coach Ebe besides the coaching staff at BBC there are plenty of others around the Province including Club teams that can and have developed players. A priority of yours is player development, which should be every coach’s priority. I've heard Clubs criticized for developing or profiling certain players. I can tell you as an avid HS fan this is no different than the HS system. There are numerous HS programs that played no more than 6-8 players during the season, so did the other players develop? You would have to ask the individual player.

What's undeniable is that Club programs have been intimately involved in the development of the majority of the top players in the 2013 and 2014 class, not just Drive, but many others like One Pass Ahead, Trans Canada, 3D, Vikes Bball Academy, Athelite and Allball. These are just other avenues where kids can get good coaching, training and competition to grow as players. How many of these same kids are involved in the BBC developmental programs? How many participated in your Center of Performance Program or Regional Teams (which are like Club teams)? What other initiatives are you taking to develop players?

The elite 2014 group is comprised of Club players who would have competed for a gold medal at Nationals. Interestingly, you point out that this situation has to be worked out, yet BBC saw this coming years ago and knew of the very strong 2014 class, but did little except provide an ultimatum for the respective players, BBC or Club team? As you eloquently pointed out the players develop by playing better and stronger competition and this is why many Club players are leaps and bounds ahead of the next tier. Can you seriously fault the players for sticking with the program and coaches they are familiar with especially if they have gotten better and garnered success and opportunity. The bottom line is that Club teams are just as adept at developing players as BBC. Look at their coaching staffs they all come with a lot of experience.

BBC's fatal flaw has been not to recognize and work with HS and Club teams to focus on the identification and development of the top players within the Province for the Nationals, university and the Canadian National Team. Coachinainteasy, within any competitive sport there must be a higher authority responsible for the identification and development of the elite players for the reasons above, which should be the ROLE of BBC. They are in fact affiliated with Basketball Canada. What players have been identified this year for the Junior National and Cadet Team tryouts who should all come out of the Club system? There are numerous HS and Club teams that offer programs and development for all. Tryouts are open for Club teams and if a program is too strong than a player has the opportunity to try out for another program. No one is force feeding kids into a certain program. Some players who played BBC have moved onto clubs this year and vice versa. It is a matter of choice. And BBC provided no choice, but provided the alternative - an ultimatum - had they focused on Nationals and player development they would have had all the elite players enter their program.

You're putting every player into the same category and that's not how it works - In the evolution of a player's development its first 1) participation 2) development 3) competition and 4) continued development in the pursuit of excellence. The majority of players careers end upon graduation except for the ones who spent countless hours in the gym honing their skills and becoming elite to play at the next level through a tireless worth ethic and (possible) mentorship. We are talking of separate issues on this thread. Basketball is not in dire straits, matter of fact it appears to be on the climb with the success of HS ball and the creation of numerous club teams as far down as the grassroots level and the future is getting brighter.

BBC needs to understand its significance beyond having Provincial teams by aggressively marketing the game to the young to ensure its growth at the grassroots level, acquiring further Provincial funding comparable to soccer and hockey, ensuring the programs and development is consistent around the Province, identifying, supporting and training coaches, recognizing the relevance and importance of Club ball and working cohesively with these groups to identify and further develop our best players to participate at the Nationals, university level and National team.

BBC has impressive alumni, but this is when Club ball did not exist. I wonder had it would have the top players as many of the current 2013s and 2014s gone the club ball route instead. This is simply an issue of bureaucracy, arrogance and lack of sound leadership and vision. Imagine where this Province and the kids will be if just some of these concerns are aggressively pursued. It's a beautiful game, but it's the governing bodies that are killing it, not the kids!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
passtheball

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:36 pm

What about Phil Scrubb and Tyler Kepkay? Both very recent examples of players under 6'8" on national teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:18 pm

U17 Boys Canada Summer Games Roster

Elijah Campbell-Axson - PG/SG - 6'3 - VC  
Adam Karmali - PG - 5'9 - Handsworth
Denver Sparks-Guest - SG/SF - 6'5 - Gleneagle
Martin Bogajev - PG/SG - 6'0 - Bby South
Tarik Scott - PG/SG - 6'0 - Gleneagle
Corey Hauck - PG - 5'9 - WJ Mouat
Taylor Montgomery-Stinson - PG - 6'2 - Claremont
Grant Galbraith - PF/C - 6'9 - Gleneagle
Ryan Cowley - PF/C - 6'7 - Delta
Joseph Davis - PF/C - 6'6 - Westsyde
Hayden Lejeune - PF/C - 6'7 - Sardis
Matthew Neufeld - PF/C - 6'9 - Lambrick Park
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:43 pm

Canada Summer Games-Sherbrooke 2013
Mens Basketball

Pool A
Ontario, Nova Scotia, North West Territories
Pool B
Manitoba, Alberta, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island
Pool C
British Columbia, Quebec, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland

TeamBC Schedule
Pool Play
Sunday Aug.4 5:15PM(PST) - BC vs NL
Monday Aug.5 5:15PM - BC vs Sask
Tuesday Aug.6 1:05PM - BC vs Que
Wednesday Aug.7 - Quarterfinals
Thurday Aug.8 - Semifinals
Friday Aug.9 - Finals
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lukester0506

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:25 pm

Newfoundland defeats BC 78-65 in their opening game at the Canada Summer Games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lukester0506.com
baller2sk

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:25 am

lukester0506 wrote:
Newfoundland defeats BC 78-65 in their opening game at the Canada Summer Games.
Yeah not a surprise here... anyone with any common sense saw this coming a mile away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:59 am

Very bad loss for our U17 team today at Summer Games. It was 37 to 23 at the half and they led by as much as 16 early in the third but then the wheels came off big time. They missed lay-ups, open jumpers, turned it over and had a huge defensive collapse. Newfoundland went on a massive run and hit 10 threes in the second half to win by 13. A very dissappointing start to the games but they are still in a position to advance to the medal round. Tomorrow's game with Saskatchewan is a must win and point differential could come in to play so it would help if they could get a win by more than 13. It will be a big time character test to see how they bounce back from todays terrible loss.

Last edited by ebe on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lukester0506

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:44 am

Found the boxscore on a twitter post. anyone know of a game archive? http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/15/08/57/87/46QrsL0w8NsZY/
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lukester0506.com
PhilJackson

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:54 am

0 - 3? I still stand by my topic opener. Tough one to swallow Ross. They have a SMALL chance of beating a very tough Saskachewan team. And beating Quebec? That is even more unlikely than NewFoundLand beating us! Oh wait...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:45 pm

BC down big early with another very bad defensive quarter trailing 32 to 17 after 1st quarter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:09 pm

Better 2nd quarter for BC as they got more stops and cut in to the lead a bit but still trail by 11, 48 to 37
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:44 pm

Desperation time for BC down 70 to 58 going in to the last quarter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:56 pm

its not looking good for BC to win against Sask. What exactly does this mean? Are they out of the medal round after two games?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:21 pm

The BC boys were not able to mount any kind of a comeback losing to Saskatchewan 94 to 81. A brutal first quarter just like the terrible fourth quarter yesterday absolutely killed them. They will finish fourth in the pool and not qualify for the medal round. I know that this years team was not that strong as many of you pointed out but I still believed that they would have enough to compete for a top four spot at Nationals. Clearly Phil and others were right and I was wrong about how they would do at the Games as they simply did not play well enough when they needed to. It will be interesting to see what transpires moving forward with the BBC Elite Program.

Last edited by ebe on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachinainteasy

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:57 pm

Easy boys... easy! Let's look at this as a general decline in boys basketball over the last decade... Don't start blaming these kids or the coaches.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:03 pm

basketballfan1 wrote:
its not looking good for BC to win against Sask. What exactly does this mean? Are they out of the medal round after two games?

Unfortunately they are out of the medal round after two games as even if they pull off the upset against Quebec they will lose the tie-breaker to Nfld or Sask so that unfortunately puts them out of medal contention.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:16 pm

Couldn't disagree with you more "Coachingainteasy".  Kelly Olynyk and Robert Sacre to NBA. Scrubb brothers CIS National Champions and Phil player of the year. Manroop Claire JMNT and numerous recent and future graduates committed to CIS and NCAA. Basketball is at an alltime high in Canada including participation. It may actually overtake hockey within decade. Check the published articles.

We've covered this topic many times that BC did not field their premier team, because Basketball BC and AAU clubs couldn't come to an agreement, so the players who tried out represent BC and unfortunately are falling short. Hopefully, they'll go out strong in remaining games. Appreciate that Ebe acknowledges he overestimated the team's potential. Can this now be the catalyst for change????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller2sk

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:19 pm

coachinainteasy wrote:
Easy boys... easy! Let's look at this as a general decline in boys basketball over the last decade... Don't start blaming these kids or the coaches.
Oh my goodness we have the talent to compete for a gold medal but unfortunately the talent is now spread out over the entire province and Basketball BC is not the team of choice for top level talent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachinainteasy

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:15 pm

BC's been sending a few players south of the border for years. This is not a new phenomenon. Neither is it a result of the club system. BC has always had a few players who head to the states and succeed... Lars Hanson, Howard Kelsey, Putzi, Mavis.... Then there's the good ones who choose to stick around and play in Canada... JD Jackson at UBC and the UVIC players that dominated the CIS for so many years.

My concern is with the overall level of play. It is clearly down at the high school level. There are a few good teams but there is a major drop off after that. Even the good teams aren't great. I still enjoy watching high school basketball. This is my observance, however.

I did an informal survey of the kids on my street... Of the 16 kids living on the block, all 16 play soccer, 2 play hockey as well as soccer and only one kid plays basketball among other sports. i don't put a lot of weight into some national study. Don't get me wrong, basketball will survive out here but it isn't on any upswing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller2sk

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:14 pm

coachinainteasy wrote:
BC's been sending a few players south of the border for years. This is not a new phenomenon. Neither is it a result of the club system. BC has always had a few players who head to the states and succeed... Lars Hanson, Howard Kelsey, Putzi, Mavis.... Then there's the good ones who choose to stick around and play in Canada... JD Jackson at UBC and the UVIC players that dominated the CIS for so many years.

My concern is with the overall level of play. It is clearly down at the high school level. There are a few good teams but there is a major drop off after that. Even the good teams aren't great. I still enjoy watching high school basketball. This is my observance, however.

I did an informal survey of the kids on my street... Of the 16 kids living on the block, all 16 play soccer, 2 play hockey as well as soccer and only one kid plays basketball among other sports. i don't put a lot of weight into some national study. Don't get me wrong, basketball will survive out here but it isn't on any upswing.
Wow the kids on your street lol is that a joke... well the kids on my street play cricket and sell drugs I guess were doomed cricket and drugs is the future in this province. The top 10 kids in grade 11 this year were among the best in Canada and might be arguably the best collection of talent this province has ever seen. We had the opportunity to start 3 guys on the front line over 6 8 with a unique skill set and all headed to Div 1 schools. Throw in a 6 4 guard who won a provincial title and headed to Seattle U and we had an opportunity to really make some noise at the games. Please save the informal survey and stick with the facts we have great players it might not be deep but the top 15 or so are pretty special.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller2sk

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:37 pm

Im also not a huge fan of our BC coach Jordan. Corey Hauck has averaged about 4 minutes a game and regardless of what any criticism he might have had in the past hes proven to be a solid guard in the province and has played in numerous big games and hit some big shots. Coach really doesn't have a clue and throw in a roster of depleted talent and what we have is chaos. The minutes distributed from the first loss to the second were almost identical I just don't get it you have to make adjustments.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:12 pm

BC boys playing great today up 10 on Que in4th
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachinainteasy

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:38 pm

Boys played much better. Looks as if the jet lag is wearing off. Kids had more energy. Quebec looked kinda average.

PS Lightennnn uuuuuppppp!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:47 pm

Quebec finishes the game on a 27-8 run for the comeback & beat BC 86-78.

BC boys finish Pool Play 0-3, rough going, boys couldn't keep up there level of play for a full game in any of the games, they cant afford to take quarters off, hopefully they can get a W before the games are done. Dissapointing results, but we all saw the writing on the wall this year, the good news is we can't go anywhere but up next year.

But nonetheless, Congrats to all the boys who put on that British Columbia jersey and represented the Province, the wins might not have come but the experience of the games, the friendships made and comradarie with fellow atheletes across the country will be a memory the boys will surely remember for a lifetime.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Today at 4:36 am

Back to top Go down

Canada Summer Games
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next