HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Canada Summer Games

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Final Stats   Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:01 pm

Final Stat Avg. for TeamBC players at Canada Games

Elijah Campbell-Axson
Per Game Avg. (Per 40min Avg)
3.8 pts (9.34)
1.0 ast (2.46)
1.0 reb (2.46)
1.2 stl (2.95)
0.0 blk (0.00)
0.6 to (1.48)
16:16 min avg
2pt% 20.00
3pt% 28.57
Ft% 47.37
Eff. Rating: 1.80

Adam Karmali
10.4 pts (13.91)
2.2 ast (2.94)
2.0 reb (2.68)
1.2 stl (1.61)
0.0 blk (0.00)
2.4 to (3.21)
26:54 min avg
2pt% 54.55
3pt% 31.82
Ft% 70.00
Eff. Rating: 7.80

Denver Sparks-Guest
10.6 pts (15.41)
1.6 ast (2.33)
3.2 reb (4.65)
1.0 stl (1.45)
0.0 blk (0.00)
2.2 to (3.20)
27:31min avg
2pt% 64.00
3pt% 28.31
Ft% 50.00
Eff. Rating: 8.00

Martin Bogajev
10.2 pts (26.88)
1.0 ast (2.64)
2.6 reb (6.85)
0.6 stl (1.58)
0.0 blk (0.00)
2.0 to (5.27)
15:11min avg
2pt% 28.57
3pt% 45.00
Ft% 80.00
Eff. Rating: 7.40

Tarik Scott
3.8 pts (10.45)
0.4 ast (0.11)
1.4 reb (3.85)
0.4 stl (1.10)
0.2 blk (0.55)
1.0 to (2.75)
14:33min avg
2pt% 41.67
3pt% 18.18
Ft% 75.00
Eff. Rating: 1.80

Corey Hauck
6.75 pts (24.73)
0.25 ast (0.92)
4.0 reb (14.65)
0.5 stl (0.18)
0.25 blk (0.92)
1.25 to (4.58)
10:55 min avg
2pt% 45.45
3pt% 55.56
Ft% 100.00
Eff. Rating: 8.00

Taylor Montgomery-Stinson
4.4 pts (14.06)
0.6 ast (1.92)
2.6 reb (8.31)
1.0 stl (3.19)
0.0 blk (0.0)
1.8 to (5.75)
12:31min avg
2pt% 30.00
3pt% 25.00
Ft% 81.25
Eff. Rating: 4.20

Grant Gailbraith
8.6 pts (19.09)
0.6 ast (1.33)
6.6 reb (14.65)
0.2 stl (0.44)
0.6 blk (1.33)
2.4 to (5.33)
18:01min avg
2pt% 60.00
3pt% -
Ft% 50.00
Eff. Rating: 10.40

Ryan Cowley
4.4 pts (9.66)
0.2 ast (0.44)
4.4 reb (9.66)
0.0 stl (0.0)
0.0 blk (0.0)
2.0 to (4.39)
18:13 min avg
2pt% 52.63
3pt% -
Ft% 40.00
Eff. Rating: 4.60

Joe Davis
7.8 pts (13.55)
0.8 ast (1.39)
8.4 reb (14.6)
0.2 stl (0.35)
0.2 blk (0.35)
2.2 to (3.82)
23:01min avg
2pt% 48.65
3pt% -
Ft% 42.86
Eff. Rating: 10.60

Matt Neufeld
8.4 pts (17.56)
0.2 ast (0.42)
7.4 reb (15.47)
0.8 stl (1.67)
0.8 blk (1.67)
2.6 to (5.44)
19:08 min avg
2pt% 50.00
3pt% 0.00
Ft% 46.15
Eff. Rating: 9.80
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:50 pm

Thanks for the compilation of the stats. Just curious to see what the stats look like if you remove the NWT game. Is there anyway to do this or would that be too difficult?

And where are you finding these game stats?

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:11 pm

basketballfan1 wrote:
Thanks for the compilation of the stats. Just curious to see what the stats look like if you remove the NWT game. Is there anyway to do this or would that be too difficult?

Thanks again!
Game stats taken from official Canada Games site:
http://cg2013.gems.pro/Result/Event_PO_T_T.aspx?Event_GUID=7d9aff8a-9c21-47b1-ab31-0bdc34d16d17&SetLanguage=en-CA&Section=PRE-A&Section=PRE-B&Section=PRE-C&Gems_ScreenWidth=1280&Gems_ScreenHeight=1024&Gems_ScreenAvailWidth=1280&Gems_ScreenAvailHeight=994
But game averages compiled manually from stats from individual games, if you would like a copy of the stat sheet I compiled, feel free to 'pm' me and I'll gladly email you a copy of the excel file.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:22 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
basketballfan1 wrote:

Thanks again!
http://cg2013.gems.pro/Result/Event_PO_T_T.aspx?Event_GUID=7d9aff8a-9c21-47b1-ab31-0bdc34d16d17&SetLanguage=en-CA&Section=PRE-A&Section=PRE-B&Section=PRE-C&Gems_ScreenWidth=1280&Gems_ScreenHeight=1024&Gems_ScreenAvailWidth=1280&Gems_ScreenAvailHeight=994
But game averages compiled manually from stats from individual games, if you would like a copy of the stat sheet I compiled, feel free to 'pm' me and I'll gladly email you a copy of the excel file.
Thanks Jesus. I did the same for last year's U15 team. It helps take some of the court time bias out of the stats to see the per 40 min numbers. You have to look a bit more deeply though to ensure you don't give too much credit for high PPG numbers when shooting percentages (efficiency) are low. Interesting numbers here but the NWT game is distorting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BB fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:31 pm

Mark Scott wrote:
JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
basketballfan1 wrote:

Thanks again!
Thanks Jesus. I did the same for last year's U15 team. It helps take some of the court time bias out of the stats to see the per 40 min numbers. You have to look a bit more deeply though to ensure you don't give too much credit for high PPG numbers when shooting percentages (efficiency) are low.  Interesting numbers here but the NWT game is distorting.
The NL game should have been an easy 30pt victory and the Sask game should been victory as well... so really whats the point?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:43 pm

Boys showed grit and pulled out a nice victory in last game. I'm sure in hindsight they probably wish they could play their round robin all over again. May have let a few slip away, but the end result was they fell short. Hopefully, the experience they gained will help them going forward.

The 40 min/game stats are misleading. No one plays 40 mis and even if you did you would not average what they show you would. The NWT game will super-inflate the stats and isn't a true gauge as they are not even close to BC's level. You are what you are and what you do and what the regular stats show; however, stats don't tell the whole picture such as measuring leadership, deflections, defensive stopper etc.

From various sources including Lajeune himself he underperformed at the try-outs. Can't rest on your laurels and reputation and if other players are hungrier they'll take it from you. He would have definitely helped BC's cause at the CSG as I heard he played real well all summer.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:06 pm

What clearly must take place now is that the BBC executive must evaluate what has transpired and create an immediate action plan with the  primary focus of attracting the elite players in the Province who mostly now participate with their AAU Club teams.  This will have be undertaken with honest and open bilateral communication with representatives of the Club teams.  

There should also be consideration to finding a new figure head to lead Basketball BC into this next crucial period in Basketball BC history to create new directives, visions and excitement such like Basketball Canada has done with the appointment of Steve Nash as the General Manager.

You all must be motivated to exact positive change as basketball is at on all time high in Canada, which is being recognized by the international basketball community and media all over the globe.  I can find daily a new piece on how Canada is the fastest growing basketball hotbed full of talent and potential. But we all know this is mostly on the coattails of Ontario and are we spiraling downwards, maintaining pace or developing young men and woman to seek and reach great heights once thought impossible??? In a few years when Canda is an international powerhouse comprised of a full team of NBA players do you want to cheer for all Ontario kids at the Olympics or some home grown product like we did back in 2000 at the Sydney Games with Nash.  I'm tired and demoralized by the constant infighting, ineptitude, personal agendas, and lack of leadership and foresight. It's time to make a decision either your part of the problem or part of the solution.

I believe a basketball symposium should take place in BC with Basketball Canada, BBC, and HS, College, University, and Club Coaches and selected elite players from across the Province at all levels from HS to Pros including the likes of Phil Scrubb, Kelly Olynyk, Steve Nash, Sacre, and our counterparts from Ontario who have helped shape the Province into a national and international power (ie Anthony Bennett and Andrew Wiggins #1 NBA draft picks for 2013 and 2014 - think about what we are saying for a sport played around the world and American dominated) with a defined agenda to address all relevant issues and the identification of the vision for BC basketball for the next 20 years including the creation of a rough model on how to get us there.

Might be time to write the BBC executive or create awareness so we can demand some kind of action/change. Their fall back position will be Scrubb, Olynyk and Sacre, but what happened this year at CSG and more importantly Ontario has the correct blueprint and is leaving the rest of Canada in the wasteland.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
passtheball

PostSubject: What did you expect?   Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:59 pm

Five of the best players in the province didn't play for the U17 team this year, of course they weren't going to have a very successful summer. This is one age group. The U16 team had quite a successful summer, and will likely be a much more successful U17 team than this year's team was.

Ontario is always going to dominate Canadian basketball. It is more densely populated and has a greater population of ethnic minorities (lets be honest this does make a difference). It also has a geographical advantage, even in the US basketball is stronger on the East Coast.

A lot of talk on this board about how club teams are just as good at developing talent as Basketball BC is. Where is the proof? Which club team has produced a successful NCAA player? NBA player? Of course BBC will fall back on Olynyk, Sacre, Scrubb...etc. they are pretty good recent examples.

I think BBC and the club teams do have to reach some sort of agreement, but I also think that not all the blame for this summer should be placed on BBC. Agreements require two cooperating parties.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:12 pm

passtheball wrote:
Five of the best players in the province didn't play for the U17 team this year, of course they weren't going to have a very successful summer. This is one age group. The U16 team had quite a successful summer, and will likely be a much more successful U17 team than this year's team was.

Ontario is always going to dominate Canadian basketball. It is more densely populated and has a greater population of ethnic minorities (lets be honest this does make a difference). It also has a geographical advantage, even in the US basketball is stronger on the East Coast.

A lot of talk on this board about how club teams are just as good at developing talent as Basketball BC is. Where is the proof? Which club team has produced a successful NCAA player? NBA player? Of course BBC will fall back on Olynyk, Sacre, Scrubb...etc. they are pretty good recent examples.

I think BBC and the club teams do have to reach some sort of agreement, but I also think that not all the blame for this summer should be placed on BBC. Agreements require two cooperating parties.  
Four of the players from last year's U15 Bronze team (four top guards, JaQuinn, Ethan, Taylor, Cordell) now play Drive. That doesn't include Jermaine Haley. Though it is true some of the better players played BBC 16s this year (mostly bigs), it wouldn't surprise me if more BBC 16s end up playing Drive or another club next year. Drive players are unlikely to play BBC unless their is a major change. The model for basketball has changed and is undeniably producing positive results. BC clubs use the same format as Ontario clubs.

There is no assurance that results will be better at Nationals next year. There needs to be a fundamental change to attract the best players and for results to improve significantly. Many of the top 15s chose to play club this year and didn't play for the province, so it is not improving.

It is an honour to play for the province, and the Nationals experience is incredible for the players and parents (especially Canada Games), so there must be a pretty good reason why all these top players are playing for clubs instead. I certainly hope there is change, but I have low expectations.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
passtheball

PostSubject: "Undeniably producing positive results"?   Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:43 pm

I don't think the club system is producing positive results in BC. The most prominent club is Drive. As of right now Drive as put two players into the NCAA (correct me if I'm wrong): Emerson Murray and Manroop Clair. Emerson Murray went to Cal and was in way over his head in the PAC-12 IMO and here is the numbers he put up:
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/seattle/emerson-murray

pretty underwhelming stuff.

Manroop Clair had an unimpressive freshman year at Hawaii and transferred.

The success Drive has had on the club circuit has been impressive, but really doesn't mean very much when you look at how there alumni have performed after Drive. This might change with the 2014 class, but that is yet to be seen. IMO Drive does a great job of marketing their players and getting them exposure, but not so much developing them into team players, at least so far.

I completely agree that BBC needs to do a better job of attracting the top players and there needs to be some major changes, but as I said before it takes two to tango; there needs to be cooperation from the clubs teams as well as BBC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:01 pm

passtheball wrote:
I don't think the club system is producing positive results in BC. The most prominent club is Drive. As of right now Drive as put two players into the NCAA (correct me if I'm wrong): Emerson Murray and Manroop Clair. Emerson Murray went to Cal and was in way over his head in the PAC-12 IMO and here is the numbers he put up:
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/seattle/emerson-murray

pretty underwhelming stuff.

Manroop Clair had an unimpressive freshman year at Hawaii and transferred.

The success Drive has had on the club circuit has been impressive, but really doesn't mean very much when you look at how there alumni have performed after Drive. This might change with the 2014 class, but that is yet to be seen. IMO Drive does a great job of marketing their players and getting them exposure, but not so much developing them into team players, at least so far.  

I completely agree that BBC needs to do a better job of attracting the top players and there needs to be some major changes, but as I said before it takes two to tango; there needs to be cooperation from the clubs teams as well as BBC.

I don't happen to agree with your analysis, but it really doesn't matter. The real test is not whether we agree which is the better system, but where the top players play. In every province where there is a club system, it is now the clubs. And the province has most of the advantages of government subsidies and monopoly over the right to represent the province at Nationals. Those are powerful advantages, yet the best players still often play for clubs.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
passtheball

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:13 pm

Those are significant advantages, but club teams have advantages as well. BBC is a not for profit, where as clubs are run as profit businesses. This gives clubs an advantage.

What I really don't understand is why the kids choose club teams. BBC has numerous examples of their system being successful, where as club teams in BC don't IMO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:12 pm

Passtheball - As Mark has outlined next year's edition of the BBC U17 team will face the same challenges as this year's team as many of the top 2015s will opt to play with their club teams. Your question as to why maybe has something to do with better competition and/or opportunity to play at the next level. However, it comes down to individual choice - what the player feels is the best situation for himself. Why not ask he top players in the Province why they made the choices they did to play BBC or Club. I would like to know. Several players who played for Drive moved over to BBC. I would love to know what their thoughts are now that the season is over.

You're correct we don't have the depth of elite players as Ontario and probably never will, which makes all the more sense to attract the top players in the Province so we don't find ourselves with the same results as this year just like you said 5 of the top 2014s did not participate with BBC. I've said all along BBC and club teams must work together to resolve the issue, but not one filled with ultimatums. It has to be based on the premise that many of the elite players will continue to play with their club teams at the U17 level so what measures can be put into place to have them play with BBC at the Nationals. The premier event for the Provincial programs.  The CSG garnered a lot of media attention as we could see through the live feeds, TSN and articles. We should want our best at this event and the Nationals so its now up to BBC and Clubs find an equitable solution for all. Either your part of the problem or part of the solution.

Last edited by DickVitale2013 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Canada Summer Games   Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:59 pm

Passtheball - You're obviously not a fan of club ball but your entitled to your opinion. You're criticism of Drive alumni is a bit premature as they haven't been around that long. BBC has a long and rich history, but I would like to know how rich it's ben since the Olynyk days. How many have gone onto Div 1 & CIS and have had brilliant careers?  This is no easy task for any player when moving onto the next level, especially freshman.  How many players who represented BBC in the past 5 years went onto CIS and are still even playing?

For the record BC has only had a handful that have gone on to stardom at the NCAA level. If you recall Olynyk barely played his first 2 seasons at Gonzaga and was seriously considering transfering during his redshirt junior year.  We all know he had a breakout year this year. Sacre's career stats at Gonzaga are 21.8 mpg/ 9.4 PPG / 5.0 RPG / 1.4 BPG on 50.4 shooting percentage. Not the greatest stats, but enough to get him his 2nd contract in the NBA.  Maybe it would be more fair to see how Murray and Clair faired when their careers are over.  Drive has also assisted several players at the CIS level like recent UBC commits Luka Z and Mindy Minhas.

It's people like you who perpetuate this myth that Drive and other club teams think they're better than BBC. Any student of the game knows that a player's success is a combination of many factors including their coaches at all levels, programs, parents and mostly themselves. I don't view any of them publicly vilifying one another.

Can we all get off this topic and wish every player well regardless who they play for, and instead forward positive ideas and solutions on how our best can represent our Province at the marquee events and how we can identify and develop systems similar to our counterparts in Ontario who are developing elite talent by the truck loads. Just take a glance at the Cadet, JMNT and SMNT rosters and the nucleus of the players are from Ontario. Thank goodness we produced a few 7 footers who will represent the SMNT at the 2014 FIBA World Championships!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Canada Summer Games-Girls Results/Stats   Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Canada Summer Games

TeamBC U17
Pool Play
vs. Alberta 41-47 L
vs. Quebec 49-51 L
Placing Game
vs. Prince Edward Island 76-42 W
Quarter Final
vs. New Brunswick 64-46 W
Semi Final
vs. Alberta 56-41 W
Final (Gold Medal Game)
vs. Ontario 41-61 L

Congratulations to the U17 Girls of TeamBC on earning a Silver medal at the Canada Games this past weekend. After getting off to a rocky 0-2 start in Pool Play, the BC girls won their next 3 in a row to earn a chance to play for Gold vs. the Juggernaut Ontario squad. But after a valiant effort TeamBC would give the ON girls their closest game of the games eventually losing 61-41 in the final.

Great effort put forth by all the girls with Lauren Yearwood (Oak Bay), Tayla Jackson (Brookswood) and Nicole Van Der Helm (Holy Cross) leading the way, showing that their invitations to the Canada Basketball Cadette Women's tryouts (Yearwood made the Caddette squad) was no fluke. Michelle Bos (Holy Cross) and Jessica Brown (Brookswood) also added with some great games along the way.

Final Stat Avg. for TeamBC players at Canada Games

Lauren Yearwood (Oak Bay)
12.17 pts (14.82)
1.83 ast (2.23)
8.00 reb (9.75)
1.17 stl (1.42)
3.33 blk (4.06)
2.17 to (2.64)
32:50 min avg
2pt% 45.59
3pt% -