HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Best U17 BC team ever?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
PhilJackson

PostSubject: Best U17 BC team ever?   Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:21 pm

Tristian Ettiene 6'10
Drew Urqhart - 6'8
Mindy Minhas - 6'5
Jadon Cohee - 6'4
Jaquin Bennet-Boire - 6'1
Suhk Bains - 6'6
Jermaine Haley 6'4
Josh Charles 6'5
Hayden Lejune 6'7
Denver Sparks 6'4
+ 2 fill in guys
Coach - DOES NOT MATTER!

Are you telling me that only ONE of those players on representing our province this year? This team has 5-7 division one players on it. They couldnt go down to to the Canada Games and beat Ontario and Quebec? (Who are both weaker this year)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoopstar

PostSubject: Best U17 ever   Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:43 pm

Maybe 1 or 2 division 1 players
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PhilJackson

PostSubject: Re: Best U17 BC team ever?   Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:51 pm

Hoopstar wrote:
Maybe 1 or 2 division 1 players

You know this how?
Drew - Already verbally committed
Jadon and Tristan - Both have a handful of offers
Jermaine, Jaquin and Mindy - Both have a handful of interest
Suhk Bains - Has a few offers
Not sure the other ones do, but I they still have time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller2sk

PostSubject: Re: Best U17 BC team ever?   Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:10 pm

PhilJackson wrote:
Tristian Ettiene 6'10
Drew Urqhart - 6'8
Mindy Minhas - 6'5
Jadon Cohee - 6'4
Suhk Bains - 6'6
Jermaine Haley 6'4
Josh Charles 6'5
Hayden Lejune 6'7
Denver Sparks 6'4
+ 2 fill in guys
Coach - DOES NOT MATTER!

Are you telling me that only ONE of those players on representing our province this year? This team has 5-7 division one players on it. They couldnt go down to to the Canada Games and beat Ontario and Quebec? (Who are both weaker this year)
To be able to have Mindy and Bains sharing the 3 spot is downright scary!!!!!! Oh well this year will go down as what could have been.........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PhilJackson

PostSubject: Re: Best U17 BC team ever?   Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:58 pm

baller2sk wrote:
PhilJackson wrote:
Tristian Ettiene 6'10
Drew Urqhart - 6'8
Mindy Minhas - 6'5
Jadon Cohee - 6'4
Suhk Bains - 6'6
Jermaine Haley 6'4
Josh Charles 6'5
Hayden Lejune 6'7
Denver Sparks 6'4
+ 2 fill in guys
Coach - DOES NOT MATTER!

To be able to have Mindy and Bains sharing the 3 spot is downright scary!!!!!! Oh well this year will go down as what could have been.........

Couldnt agree with you more on that one Baller. Two 17s who can score with anyone. This TRUELY shows how much BBC cares about winning. If I were Tomlinson, I would pay AllBall, Drive and Athelite to get my hands on these players for The Summer Games. Easy gold medal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Best U17 BC team ever?   Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:38 am

Where has Urquhart verbally committed to?

Stellar group of 2014 & 2015s on that list, like the length, height and athleticism. Strength at every position. Lots of scoring options from the perimeter and penetration. The bigs would need to balance things in the paint. Etienne and Urquhart could have played some nice hi-low game. You would need the right coach, who understands and knows all their abilities and strengths and weakness and ran systems and sets to maximize their potential and who was also a great communicator. There all good kids who would have gelled nicely. Sadly will never view this team on the court with BBC's incompetence. Shame! This could have been the year that they restored the balance of power from central Canada and elevated their stock at a national level.

This group has a legitimate handful of Div 1 players as Phil Jackson pointed out. The 2014s still have the remainder of the summer to prove to D1 interested programs that their worthy and the the recruiting for the underclassmen will peak next season. Drive U17 has won a handful of tournaments, which translates to solid play and players and scholarship opportunities for some. I've seen these kids play and 2-3 will have solid NCAA careers and others CIS.

Buzz Truss if not injured would have been on this team. Serious energy and hustle guy and physical play and Adam Karmali, very underrated PG with lots of Nationals experience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
c-lo

PostSubject: Re: Best U17 BC team ever?   Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:00 pm

PhilJackson wrote:
Tristian Ettiene 6'10
Drew Urqhart - 6'8
Mindy Minhas - 6'5
Jadon Cohee - 6'4
Suhk Bains - 6'6
Jermaine Haley 6'4
Josh Charles 6'5
Hayden Lejune 6'7
Denver Sparks 6'4
+ 2 fill in guys
Coach - DOES NOT MATTER!

Jalen Jana - 5'11" (1st all-star 2011 Nationals)
Buzz Truss - 6'3" (2nd all-star 2011 Nationals)
Taylor Browne - 6'2"

Coach - Rich Goulet
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballjunkie21

PostSubject: Goulet?? Seriously?   Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:20 pm

On the U-17 post, I agree with the teams, but Goulet as coach? His is a dinosaur that still thinks that yelling and intimidation is a true coaching style. there are a lot of good, young coaches out there. i would like to see Kyle Graves of sardis, he took a team to levels that no one expected at the beginning of the season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Best U17 BC team ever?   Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:52 pm

PhilJackson wrote:
With this U17 team going to The summer games this year and respesenting us almost makes me embarrassed to live in BC and to be apart of the basketball here. We are suppose to be a top three province every year! We might not even be top 7 with this year

Phil you are wrong if you think this team will come in 8th place. I agree that it is not one of our strongest groups but everyone said that about last years team and they beat Quebec for the Bronze. The truth is that Ontario has dominated the last few years and this year will be no exception but based on what I have seen the last few yeasr I believe our team will be competitive and will challenge for a medal. I also think it is unfair of everyone to trash the kids on our Provincial team this year. They chose to make the sacrifices needed to represent our Province and that should be something that they should be commended for. To quote Gene Hackman from the great movie Hoosiers when the crowd started cheering "We want Jimmy" at the pep rally." I would hope you would support who we are, not who we are not. These individuals have made the choice to work, to sacrifice, and to put themselves on the line.... and that kind of committment and effort deserves and demands your respect."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BBCfan1

PostSubject: Re: Best U17 BC team ever?   Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:48 pm

Few point of notes everyone should take a look at:

1) Why cant these kids have another tryout after the Las Vegas Classic Tournament. It would be a team compiled of kids just to play in the Canada Games. We should have Kevin Hanson coach the team run a two week training camp and have these kids go and represent our province it would be the best of the best. The BC team is now run as an AAU team and will get there training and the games needed to prepare themselves for the tryout. These kids can all go and tryout with the rest and our best can all attend.

2) Ebe to your point no one is putting down the kids on the BC team they are all kids who are good players and are working hard getting themselves better. Unfortunately a lot of these kids now look at the club teams and pick the teams they feel would get the most playing time for and have an opportunity to showcase themselves.

If we want to show the rest of Canada we are the top of the food chain then we need to get all our best players out there representing our province. I applaud all our Club and Provincial teams and the kids they are all working hard at becoming better basketball players. This is a small basketball community and all of these kids are friends and would enjoy playing together and trying to bring gold to BC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PhilJackson

PostSubject: Re: Best U17 BC team ever?   Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:29 pm

ebe wrote:
PhilJackson wrote:
With this U17 team going to The summer games this year and respesenting us almost makes me embarrassed to live in BC and to be apart of the basketball here. We are suppose to be a top three province every year! We might not even be top 7 with this year

Phil you are wrong if you think this team will come in 8th place. I agree that it is not one of our strongest groups but everyone said that about last years team and they beat Quebec for the Bronze. The truth is that Ontario has dominated the last few years and this year will be no exception but based on what I have seen the last few yeasr I believe our team will be competitive and will challenge for a medal. I also think it is unfair of everyone to trash the kids on our Provincial team this year. They chose to make the sacrifices needed to represent our Province and that should be something that they should be commended for. To quote Gene Hackman from the great movie Hoosiers when the crowd started cheering "We want Jimmy" at the pep rally." I would hope you would support who we are, not who we are not. These individuals have made the choice to work, to sacrifice, and to put themselves on the line.... and that kind of committment and effort deserves and demands your respect."

Ebe, I understand you are a BIG basketball BC supporter... BUT, you know and I know that this team has no chance of contending for a medal. Im not trashing this team, but with our best 12 not playing and Todd Jordan coaching, they are only taking negative steps from last years 3rd place finish.

I agree with the post which suggested having a little tryout after the Las Vegas Classic. That way, everyone wins. I disagree with the coaching selection though. Bergen of Walnut Grove has made it to the Provincial championship twice in a row with a small team who had one big name on it. NO ONE HAS EVEN MENTIONED HIS NAME? Imagine what he could do with a highly talented team like this. There is no other coach in the province that can run with this guy.

Last edited by PhilJackson on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Best U17 BC team ever?   Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:38 pm

Phil I guess we will have to see how they end up doing but there is more talent on this team than people are giving credit for. Also I can tell you based on the last few years the other Provinces do not have the kind of depth and talent that we saw at the last Canada Games in PEI.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Best U17 BC team ever?   Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:11 pm

PhilJackson wrote:
ebe wrote:
PhilJackson wrote:

No way this team challenges for a medal. If not for JJ Pankratz last year i doubt they medal as he was buried on the depth chart on a team that he easily should have started on. Im not trashing the players but lets be honest this team is 3 rd tier players in the province. I hope they show well at Canada Games but cant see them beating Ont, Quebec, Manitoba, Nova Scotia or Sask. They will battle it out with the likes of PEI and Newfoundland.

I agree with Ebe that this team will challenge for a medal. I went to last year's Nationals in Quebec. BC is clearly depleted by the conflict with clubs but the province is deep enough to compete. Ontario destroys everyone at the U17 level and last year's Ontario/BC game was truly embarrassing at 111-53. Alberta is also diminished by the conflict with clubs. I understand Quebec allows their players to play for their clubs during the summer, so they are often competitive. The rest of the provinces are usually weak with an occasional medal appearance by a team from Nova Scotia or Manitoba (such as last year at U17).

Last year BC's U15 team had many of the top players and they won a bronze and were the only team to give Ontario a run. They were up at half time and eventually lost by 15 in a tight game. Most of those players now play for club teams and they are unlikely to come back to BC for U17. This year most of the top players at U15 play for clubs, so it is not getting better.

If the goal is to show up and compete for a bronze or silver medal then the status quo will work. If we want to win a gold (and not get slaughtered by Ontario) then BBC must accept the new reality. It will not happen again under the current structure. In order to win we must send all of our best players. BBC will not get the all the best players unless it gets out of the AAU business (as a provincial team) and chooses the team at a short selection and training camp just before Nationals. We can keep doing the same thing and expect different results or we can fix the problem.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
PhilJackson

PostSubject: Re: Best U17 BC team ever?   Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:09 pm

Here is what I strongly feel. BBC U17s will NOT beat Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia or Manitoba. They will battle with teams like Alberta and Saskatchewan. They will not place in the top 4, that is a guaruntee! 5 if lucky, but 6, 7 and 8 would be reasonable. Personally, I know talent all across the Country, and if all of those provinces send their best, then this is very likely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Best U17 BC team ever?   Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:05 am

Jalen Jana & Buzz Truss are both injured so wouldn't have been on the roster.

Wise choice as Bergen as the coach, gets best out of teams and almost won 2 straight HS championships.He is known as a great communicator and is really respected and liked by his players. He and Cohee have a special connection and he would have had him lead this team to the gold medal.

No one is criticizing current players, they are good in their own right and will work hard and be great ambassadors for BC at the Nationals. However, the truth in the matter is that many of them would not have made the roster if the premier players attended try-outs.

BBC's sole goal should be to compete with Ontario every year for the gold and nothing else and bring some balance in power currently ruled by Ontario. There are no BC representatives this year on the Cadet National Team, 2 on Developmental Team and 2 invitees to Junior National Team tryouts. That's a dismal track record. The National program is captivated by the Ontario scene and the Nationals could have been the forum where our elite could have demonstrated that we have numerous players as good or better than the kids that are constantly patronizing.

Mark, BBC will never fix the problem, because they refuse to accept the truth, are in denial and reside in their history, so it is what it is. I can't believe that they aren't ashamed or disgusted by their inaction and missing in the development of this fine group of 2014s. Why can't their be a change of the guard with new ideas, visions and action plans.

Good luck to this year's edition. Bring back a medal you can be proud of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller2sk

PostSubject: Re: Best U17 BC team ever?   Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:08 am

DickVitale2013 wrote:

Wise choice as Bergen as the coach, gets best out of teams and almost won 2 straight HS championships.He is known as a great communicator and is really respected and liked by his players. He and Cohee have a special connection and he would have had him lead this team to the gold medal.

No one is criticizing current players, they are good in their own right and will work hard and be great ambassadors for BC at the Nationals. However, the truth in the matter is that many of them would not have made the roster if the premier players attended try-outs.

BBC's sole goal should be to compete with Ontario every year for the gold and nothing else and bring some balance in power currently ruled by Ontario. There are no BC representatives this year on the Cadet National Team, 2 on Developmental Team and 2 invitees to Junior National Team tryouts. That's a dismal track record. The National program is captivated by the Ontario scene and the Nationals could have been the forum where our elite could have demonstrated that we have numerous players as good or better than the kids that are constantly patronizing.

Mark, BBC will never fix the problem, because they refuse to accept the truth, are in denial and reside in their history, so it is what it is. I can't believe that they aren't ashamed or disgusted by their inaction and missing in the development of this fine group of 2014s. Why can't their be a change of the guard with new ideas, visions and action plans.

I think what BBC is hoping for is a strong showing in the Canada Games before they even consider the alternative. Hey if they challenge for a medal like Ebe thinks then they have something to hang there hat on. Rotating coaches, paying high participation fees and not promoting their own properly have hindered the growth of BBC and allowed clubs to swoop in and take all the talent. The hardest thing to say for anyone in this world is "im sorry" "i made a mistake" or "help me" all of these apply to BBC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Re: Best U17 BC team ever?   Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:26 pm

Ontario is significantly weaker than in past years, since they are running as an AAU team the entire summer, so almost every player from CIA Bounce, Grassroots Canada, Northern Kings, Ottawa Guardsmen, and so on are not involved.
Alberta has also experienced significant defections (Matt Ellis, Adonis Monfort-Palomino, etc.).
Quebec has an advantage as the host, but I have yet to hear a roster.
BC is experiencing what all the other big provinces are.
Perhaps Ontario will win it again, but they do not come close to the high-level talents they have fielded over the last two summers. Unfortunately, the field just isn't as strong across the board, but the parity could make for more exciting games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hoopstarscanada.com
Sheenaisapunkrocker

PostSubject: Re: Best U17 BC team ever?   Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:22 pm

I'm not going to absolve BBC for some stubbornness and other issues they have regarding this club v. Provincial team debate. That being said couple of points in regards to what baller said about coaching and fees. The coaches at BBC are some of the best HS and University coaches in the province. Their contracts are for 2 years, which is why they rotate. Coaching and the coaches at the U17 level are all either HS Champs with experience at Provincial Tournaments or in many cases University coaches with experience at CIS and CCAA Nationals. The fees should be a non issue. The rule is you have to pay for summer basketball. If one team mate is not paying and one of his team mates are, that is a direct NCAA violation. On top of that because BBC is a Provincial Sport Organization they are subsidized by the government, which results in lower fees. Also, with BBC fees they cover the cost of travel to all tournaments, which are also organized by BBC, not by parents of the participants.

Lastly, the idea that you can get a group of individuals, no matter how talented they are, coach them for a week and go play high competitive games is not very reasonable. Basketball is a team game and a team takes months to grow and learn from each other not a week. In essence you would have a group of highly talented basketball mercenaries with no real team chemistry. Who takes the majority of the shots? Who will be willing to sacrifice and be a role player? Their is only 1 ball to share. As we've seen in numerous competitions this does not always work i.e. Kentucky this past year failing to make the NCAA tournament with a #1 rated Freshmen class and the Heat their first year when the lost to Dallas. A team will almost always beat a group of individuals.

If we have talented enough players Basketball Canada will find them and select them no matter what they are playing in the summer time. They are in the business to win and compete at the international stage. I agree that we in BC might not always get a fair look, but say they aren't choosing someone from this province, simply because of bias is ludicrous. If a guard from BC was the best player in the gym during a try out for the National Team they would be selected.

Good luck to all the boys competing this summer and improving themselves and the overall level of basketball in BC. Hope Drive/AllBall/Athelite win every tournament they enter and BBC wins gold at the Canada Summer Games
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuyLafleur

PostSubject: Re: Best U17 BC team ever?   Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:26 am

The sentiment that Basketball BC could throw a team of players together only a week or two before nationals and then expect to compete for gold is one of the dumber things I've read on this board, and that's saying a lot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Best U17 BC team ever?   Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:41 am

GuyLafleur wrote:
The sentiment that Basketball BC could throw a team of players together only a week or two before nationals and then expect to compete for gold is one of the dumber things I've read on this board, and that's saying a lot.

Obviously a team that plays and practices together over a summer will have an advantage, all things being equal. But you are missing the point Guy. The BBC U17 teams don't come close to competing for a Gold medal. They got destroyed by over 50 points last year by Ontario. A team with Jadon, Tristan, Mindy, Drew and Sukh could roll a ball out 45 mins before game time and beat any other collection of high school players in the province by 20 points.

Practice all you want and run all the fancy plays, but if you don't have the best players against Ontario then you haven't got a chance. Give them a couple weeks together of intensive practice and they will be fine. Last summer the U15 team only had 12 practices all summer - I doubt it was much different for the U17s. Do two-a-days if necessary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PhilJackson

PostSubject: Re: Best U17 BC team ever?   Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:06 am

GuyLafleur wrote:

Guy, since that is so "dumb", what do you say to the Ontario U17s that do that EVERY year? They have multiple kids from the National team and top tier club teams that only practice for a week before nationals and win it every year. THAT is why they win. You can either play, or you cant. Having two months of preperation is bs. BC does it every year and they still get destroyed. We have a chance to actually compete this year, and we are just flushing it away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
c-lo

PostSubject: Re: Best U17 BC team ever?   Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:28 pm

DickVitale2013 wrote:

Since this team is hypothetical then I thought putting Jalen and Buzz in the mix made sense if you wanted ALL the top players. Neither player has been back since U15's anyway and Jana is focused on football.

As for coach, the Goulet reference was tongue in cheek but I really like the idea of Bergen or Hansen having a go with our top players in a 2 week training camp scenario. We all agree that it works for Ontario...why not us? The 2014's are the most talented and deep class we've seen in over a decade and it's a shame we can't show the rest of the country that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuyLafleur

PostSubject: Re: Best U17 BC team ever?   Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:01 am

PhilJackson wrote:
GuyLafleur wrote:

Guy, since that is so "dumb", what do you say to the Ontario U17s that do that EVERY year? They have multiple kids from the National team and top tier club teams that only practice for a week before nationals and win it every year. THAT is why they win. You can either play, or you cant. Having two months of preperation is bs. BC does it every year and they still get destroyed. We have a chance to actually compete this year, and we are just flushing it away.

Two points:

1) We are NOT Ontario. The skill level and athleticism found in the top 12 players which Ontario can field is higher than what BC (and every other province) can usually cobble together. Throwing a team together 2 weeks before Nationals "just because Ontario's doing it" and expecting them to win gold is unwise.

2) Even if you believe this year's U17 crop is good enough to beat Ontario with only 1-2 weeks of practice, what's going to happen next year (and the years following that), considering that the skill level of this year's U17s may be the highest BC has ever seen and is unlikely to be matched in the foreseeable future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Best U17 BC team ever?   Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:23 am

Some great discussions points. It's apparent the current system isn't working for anyone so positive change is needed.we have to develop a system to get our best players at the Nationals. For the record any team would be better if they had the luxury of training for months, but this isn't practical with the club ball scene. Look around even The National team only brings together the team on very short train camps before they compete in FIBA world championships. You can get a great group of players together in a short time and produce a very good and competitive team. For instance you bring in a coach who already pretty much knows all the players and their abilities. It's their job to get it done ie choose starters, incorporate offensive and defensive schemes and draw plays for last shot. Mark is bang on with his comments as well as others. Give your head a stake that the majority of TOs best players are the oldest in their class however I would love to see our elite U17 play against theirs. They would have been in really, really tough with our kids.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McKay

PostSubject: Ontario Training and Competition Schedule   Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:50 am

Just some info for you guys about Ontario's selection and competition schedule pulled from another site. Info was posted by Basketball Ontario staff. Regional tryouts were held over March and April. The final team was picked at a selection camp over the Victoria Day weekend.

Ontario Basketball (OBA) announced Thursday the tournament schedule for Team Ontario's under 14, under 15 and under 17 provincial team programs.

"Team Ontario has a rich tradition of success on the basketball court," said Michael T. Cvitkovic, executive director, Ontario Basketball. “We look forward to watching their journey unfold this summer with the goal of earning four gold medals, while displaying fair play and teamwork.”

2013 U17 TEAM ONTARIO TRAINING CAMP SCHEDULE

May 31 - June 2 @ University of Toronto
June 7 - June 9 @ University of Toronto
June 14 - June 16 @ University of Toronto
June 28 - July 8 @ Abilities Centre, Whitby

2013 U17 BOY'S TEAM ONTARIO AAU TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE

July 10-14 Hoosier Shootout, Indianapolis, Indiana
July 18-23 Grade 10 AAU Super Showcase, Orlando, Florida
July 25-28 Las Vegas Fab 48 16U, Las Vegas, Nevada
August 2-9 2013 Canada Summer Games, Sherbrooke, Quebec
Back to top Go down
View user profile