HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Top Ten Varsity boys teams 2012-2013 Next season

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
coachnb6



Posts : 56
Join date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Top Ten Varsity boys teams 2012-2013 Next season   Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:53 am

what do you guys think? i will provide my list later on but FHS is 1 obv.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12



Posts : 144
Join date : 2013-04-07

PostSubject: varsity boys 2013-14   Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:41 am

hopefully not jinxing 'em, barring injury or incident FHS could be the best high school team in NB ever! who is also on this list:
Woodstock, Simonds, Leo Hayes, MacNaughton, Moncton, Harrison Trimble, KV,  ??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls



Posts : 139
Join date : 2010-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Varsity boys teams 2012-2013 Next season   Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:39 pm

brady12 wrote:
hopefully not jinxing 'em, barring injury or incident FHS could be the best high school team in NB ever! who is also on this list:
Woodstock, Simonds, Leo Hayes, MacNaughton, Moncton, Harrison Trimble, KV,  ??

I think someone needs a history lesson.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
brady12



Posts : 144
Join date : 2013-04-07

PostSubject: history lesson invited   Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:19 pm

which team should any comparisons start with?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls



Posts : 139
Join date : 2010-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Varsity boys teams 2012-2013 Next season   Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:01 pm

brady12 wrote:
which team should any comparisons start with?

I think we should wait until they play a game or two before crowning them the greatest ever. I would also think a number of guys that played on those FHS teams coached by Gary Young would suggest that next season's version of the Black Kats isn't the greatest team in school history.

As for next year, FHS is clearly the pre-season favourite. Two years ago in JV that same crew went undefeated, beating a very good Saint John High School team in the finals by approx 30 pts. The next best AAA teams that year were KVHS, Riverview, Simonds and McNaughton but Leo Hayes had a lot of their best grade 9's playing varsity. SJHS handled all those teams during that school year. Carleton North was probably the 2nd best JV team that year, loosing to FHS by less than 20 in their only match up.

Here is my thoughts on AAA Boys...

AAA-West
1) FHS - Lots of talent...some say the greatest ever...give them the banner now
2) LHHS - Won midget provincials...will be a tough out for anyone next two years
3) OHS - Heard they might be loosing their lone provincial team player to a team up the river

AAA - South
1) SJHS - Conference champs 2 years ago plus could be adding some transfers
2) KVHS - Will be talented with good size but very young
3) Simonds - Loosing Roche to New England prep school hurts
4) Sussex - Not sure where to rank them????
5) STM - Are their best players staying or transferring....does Eatmon return?
6) HVHS - Will they field a team?

AAA - North-East
1) Riverview - Very good athletes...can they score from the perimeter well enough to be in top 3
2) McNaughton - How good is Tatlock's supporting cast?
Not sure after that...
?) Moncton - Lost everyone to graduation. No JV program so it's hard to tell how young kids developed
?) MM - Did some good things last year. Is HC returning?
?) MVHS - ????
?) ODY - ????
?) BHS - ????
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
Coach.Red



Posts : 248
Join date : 2012-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Varsity boys teams 2012-2013 Next season   Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:13 pm

I thought Tatlock was G12? He's playing in a mens league for G12's and older.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls



Posts : 139
Join date : 2010-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Varsity boys teams 2012-2013 Next season   Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:15 pm

Coach.Red wrote:
I thought Tatlock was G12? He's playing in a mens league for G12's and older.

Grade 11...entering grade 12 in the fall.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
coachnb6



Posts : 56
Join date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Varsity boys teams 2012-2013 Next season   Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:02 am

as for AAA schools, I feel that Fhs KVHS SJHS HTHS and Simonds will be the better teams,

AA Carleton North and Woodstock which both of these teams will be better then most AAA teams. Woodstock will still have one of the best players in the province in Keeghan Gray. CNHS returns some decent talent from JV level and grade 11's and not to mention Oliver Ebbet is back.

A- Hartland walks away with it. Orser and Foster are to good for A and have no comp in this division. it's shame they do not move forward to AA with those guys.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88



Posts : 259
Join date : 2010-02-01
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Varsity boys teams 2012-2013 Next season   Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:36 pm

coachnb6 wrote:
as for AAA schools, I feel that Fhs KVHS SJHS HTHS and Simonds will be the better teams,

AA Carleton North and Woodstock which both of these teams will be better then most AAA teams. Woodstock will still have one of the best players in the province in Keeghan Gray. CNHS returns some decent talent from JV level and grade 11's and not to mention Oliver Ebbet is back.

A- Hartland walks away with it. Orser and Foster are to good for A and have no comp in this division. it's  shame they do not move forward to AA with those guys.


Why? what advantage would Hartland have playing "AA"? They play in a league with what..six other teams? So, they are only obligated to play 12 league games...that gives them 24 to schedule whoever they want. They can play much better competition if they choose to.

So, why should they be punished for being too good for their class. You have to play teams better than you to get better and challenge yourself...but, can't they do that and still have a great shot to win a banner?

If they had a chance to win "AA"...then maybe...but, it sounds like Woodstock and CN would still be far better...so, I don't understand what advantage Hartland would gain from going "AA". Seems to me that they are in a win-win situation....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88



Posts : 259
Join date : 2010-02-01
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Varsity boys teams 2012-2013 Next season   Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:52 pm

brady12 wrote:
which team should any comparisons start with?

If I had a vote...it would be the '87-'88 KV team with Elliot, Darling, Moore, Walker...can never remember the 5th guy...they trashed FHS in the Provincial final by 30ish...I believe....and all 5 guys went to the All Star game...4 started...the other starter was John Ryan of Sussex, I believe.

Anyway...that is the best team I have seen in the last 30 years...I'm sure others would argue...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee



Posts : 271
Join date : 2010-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Varsity boys teams 2012-2013 Next season   Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:39 pm

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:
brady12 wrote:
which team should any comparisons start with?

If I had a vote...it would be the '87-'88 KV team with Elliot, Darling, Moore, Walker...can never remember the 5th guy...they trashed FHS in the Provincial final by 30ish...I believe....and all 5 guys went to the All Star game...4 started...the other starter was John Ryan of Sussex, I believe.

Anyway...that is the best team I have seen in the last 30 years...I'm sure others would argue...

........and probably the last NB team you saw play also....... Smile Hope you are having a great summer Doug !!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88



Posts : 259
Join date : 2010-02-01
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Varsity boys teams 2012-2013 Next season   Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:20 pm

BeeBall4Lifee wrote:
GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:
brady12 wrote:
which team should any comparisons start with?

If I had a vote...it would be the '87-'88 KV team with Elliot, Darling, Moore, Walker...can never remember the 5th guy...they trashed FHS in the Provincial final by 30ish...I believe....and all 5 guys went to the All Star game...4 started...the other starter was John Ryan of Sussex, I believe.

Anyway...that is the best team I have seen in the last 30 years...I'm sure others would argue...

........and probably the last NB team you saw play also....... :)Hope you are having a great summer Doug !!!!!

Hey now! I think I saw a game in the late 90's! You are just happy my Bruins lost...jk....you also have a great summer. I was going to come home in the middle of August for my 25th reunion...but, it doesn't look like I will make it....but, the next time I'm home...and you are visiting your outlaws...I'll invite you up to my old house on the bank for a beer, and we can fight...err....talk Harvey basketball...Basketball 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest



Posts : 128
Join date : 2011-11-22

PostSubject: Best NB Team Ever   Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:00 pm

1979 St. Stephen Spartans. Coached by Dave Nutbrown who moved on to coach Acadia University after.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Nutbrown

This team went undefeated. Even more impressive is they took a road trip to Ontario in the middle of the season and defeated Ontario teams.

At least 3 and maybe four of the starters could dunk. Memory getting fuzzy on this one so I need someone to help me out on the starters:

McGlaughlin
Greenlaw
Wilson Jr.
Gowan

Who was the fifth starter? I believe McGlaughlin and Greenlaw went on and played AUAA bball. Once again many years ago. I went to about 5 of their games that year and they destroyed everyone they played. Wilson Jr. was an great athlete and had great success in baseball.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spartan



Posts : 4
Join date : 2012-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Varsity boys teams 2012-2013 Next season   Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:14 pm

Scott Nicholson....played AUAA at UNB
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawkfan



Posts : 64
Join date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Varsity boys teams 2012-2013 Next season   Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:56 am

coachnb6 wrote:
as for AAA schools, I feel that Fhs KVHS SJHS HTHS and Simonds will be the better teams,

AA Carleton North and Woodstock which both of these teams will be better then most AAA teams. Woodstock will still have one of the best players in the province in Keeghan Gray. CNHS returns some decent talent from JV level and grade 11's and not to mention Oliver Ebbet is back.

A- Hartland walks away with it. Orser and Foster are to good for A and have no comp in this division. it's  shame they do not move forward to AA with those guys.

I am assuming he means those 2 players move to a different school say Carleton north or Woodstock. That is fairly common for players of there caliber to move to a bigger school, but if they are happy in Hartland which they seem to be why bother. They only lost 1 player from last year and are a great team for A class ball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Top Ten Varsity boys teams 2012-2013 Next season   Today at 8:07 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Top Ten Varsity boys teams 2012-2013 Next season
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» AAA Senior Boys Basketball 2012-2013.... SD42, SD43
» 2012-2013 Top 10 Boys teams
» Top 10 teams for next year season 2012-2013
» NBIAA 2012-2013 Basketball ALL-STARS" A & AA & AAA
» Top teams in the North 2012-2013

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HoopLife Forums :: High School :: New Brunswick-
Jump to: