HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 BNB U14 Boys Team

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Coach.Red



Posts : 248
Join date : 2012-11-10

PostSubject: BNB U14 Boys Team   Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:35 am

So the Bantam Elite is this weekend, July 7th-12th in Fredericton. This year they will be taking the top 12 boys from the camp to form a team to compete in Summerfest.

Any guesses as to who the team will be made up of?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red



Posts : 248
Join date : 2012-11-10

PostSubject: Re: BNB U14 Boys Team   Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:17 pm

Well no one gave a guess, teams picked already. They're playing in Summerfest in the developmental division. I can see them beating BNB U15 Dev

Team is:

Carlo Theriault
Aram Currie
Benn Carson
Adam Lambert
Kyle Rossiter
Thomas Drummond
James French
Brett Curtis
Tyrese Paul
Blair Hawkins
Ian Watters
Evan Thompson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee



Posts : 271
Join date : 2010-12-10

PostSubject: Re: BNB U14 Boys Team   Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:36 pm

Congrats all all who made the team but especially to the 2 boys from Harvey.....Thomas and Brett ......way to represent the Green & Gold!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest



Posts : 128
Join date : 2011-11-22

PostSubject: U 14 Boys   Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:09 pm

I watched the U14 boys teams play on the final day of their camp in Fredericton last week. Some big 13 and 14 year old kids in New Brunswick!! Neil Smith reffed the final game and let the boys go hard and bang on each other. Refreshing to see the promotion of physical basketball in NB.

The girls U14 team is stocked with a bunch of shooters. Once again a bunch of girls on the floor who go hard at each other. Great point guard future in NB. Bailey Black from Miramichi is a real talent. Reese Baxendale out of Sussex is U14 also but made the U15 team. Put these two girls together at U15 nationals next year and good things are going to happen.

Exciting times in NB bball!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red



Posts : 248
Join date : 2012-11-10

PostSubject: Re: BNB U14 Boys Team   Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:16 pm

Great! Finally someone who saw them play. I can only comment on the boys as I was only involved with them.

I'm coaching the U14 team that was put together and am very excited for the weekend. Very nice group of boys we put together, both on the court and off the court!

If these same 40 kids try out for U15 next year, we will have two very strong U15/U15 Dev teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach dd



Posts : 3
Join date : 2013-07-20

PostSubject: Re: BNB U14 Boys Team   Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:25 am

I watched two games for u14 men's team and I seen a coming out party for #6 tyrese paul. Both games were against ns teams and he kept nb in both games with great shooting, defence, rebounding and passing. Looks like he was over looked in all chats on here and edp?? I see lots of talent in this player nb better keep him involved with basketball newbrunswick a clear stud with endless potential. I've been coaching for25yrs and he is a gem I'm happy to say!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest



Posts : 128
Join date : 2011-11-22

PostSubject: U14 Boys   Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:34 am

100% agree on Tyrese. Pure shooter and great athleticism. He kept the U14 boys close. The guards on BNB need to lose the fancy dribbling when it is not required and learn to pass out of pressure. NBA stars beat 2 or 3 defenders. 13 year old boys from NB need to pass out of the double or triple team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red



Posts : 248
Join date : 2012-11-10

PostSubject: Re: BNB U14 Boys Team   Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Coach dd wrote:
I watched two games for u14 men's team and I seen a coming out party for #6 tyrese paul.  Both games were against ns teams and he kept nb in both games with great shooting, defence, rebounding and passing.  Looks like he was over looked in all chats on here and edp??  I see  lots of talent in this player nb better keep him involved with basketball newbrunswick a clear stud with endless potential.  I've been coaching for25yrs and he is a gem I'm happy to say!

Not over looked by any means (at least not by me), I just don't know him as well as the players I coach who played on the U14 team.


Our game against the BNS U14 team was an exciting one. We led for the entire first half and most of the 3rd quarter but ended it on a sour note, then lost our steam in the 4th. My guys settled for way too many 3's (8 for 29) which led to not enough shots in the key and not enough trips to the line (19 FTs vs 35 FTs for NS). We also didn't keep them off the boards and gave way too many second chance points. We made a nice push in the last 5 minutes hitting back to back 3's and forcing turnovers in our press, but couldn't keep the momentum rolling to get the win. I think had we had time to gel and played BNS U14 Saturday at 7:30 (our 3rd game) we would of done much better and gotten the W.

Blue Storm game was one I rolled the lines almost evenly. We came out stale as can be in the first quarter with probably 12 turnovers then played marginally better the rest of the game. Overall it was our worst performance of the 3. We pressed them all game which they had a very hard time with. Only won by 9 because we couldn't keep their big guy from scoring or keep them off the boards.

BNS U15D was a frustrating game because of the refs, I wont say much about them but its hard to win when fouls are 24 to 13 for the other team. Again we didn't match the aggression of the other team and only went to the line 17 times (vs 39). The entire game was tough because most of the other team was older and therefore faster/stronger than our guys. We started and ended the game well, but gave up two bad quarters in between and couldn't make a come back.

I had a blast working with these 12 kids for only 3 days, I really wish I could of had the entire season with them. Great weekend!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawkfan



Posts : 64
Join date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: BNB U14 Boys Team   Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:05 pm

Yeah way to much fancy stuff and a pile of turn overs. The big boys not crashing the boards didn't help. The game Saturday night was not pretty no inside presence at all and the boys on the other team were so much faster and could pretty much walk down the middle any time they wanted. Its to bad they didn't have more time together as a team. But as for giving bnb u15 development a run no chance seen them play several times and it would be a massive blow out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red



Posts : 248
Join date : 2012-11-10

PostSubject: Re: BNB U14 Boys Team   Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:22 pm

hawkfan wrote:
 Yeah way to much fancy stuff and a pile of turn overs. The big boys not crashing the boards didn't help. The game Saturday night was not pretty no inside presence at all and the boys on the other team were so much faster and could pretty much walk down the middle any time they wanted. Its to bad they didn't have more time together as a team. But as for giving bnb u15 development a run no chance seen them play several times and it would be a massive blow out.

How'd you know we wanted to play BNB U15 Dev Smile Of course we were hoping to finish the same place they did and play today, but it didn't happen. I really think we could of made it interesting. I saw tonight they beat Smiths BNS U14 team by 15 which came as a surprise to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach dd



Posts : 3
Join date : 2013-07-20

PostSubject: Re: BNB U14 Boys Team   Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:14 pm

I agree with the Blue Storm game, your team should have easily ran over those guys. If you had more time to work with these 12 players and get control of the pg game would have been over early. Ben is a pure pg that is able to see the floor well and dish to the open man without the un needed fancy dribbling. You had players that were scared to touch the ball and didn't look to score. You had a big man that was dominant in the bantam A league with smaller players but unable to battle players his size when called upon. He needs to be able to handle the ball on perimeter and create plays for himself, cannot settle with being a back to the basket player.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach dd



Posts : 3
Join date : 2013-07-20

PostSubject: Re: BNB U14 Boys Team   Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:33 pm

Im getting ready to retire from coaching now but keep a close eye on basketball in NB. My suggestion to bnb is to focus on fundamentals not the flashy players and the fancy dribbling, it looks good but I rather have a Ben Carson, Minwoo Park, Brett Speedy and Chris Robins from running my provincial team pg spot. I would also keep my eyes open for Arum, Tyrese, Brett Curtis, these three players who showed hustle, fundamentals and made presence none to all on the court. Add 5 to 6 more players you would hands down have beaten both NS teams this weekend. Again just my opinion from an old coach getting ready to step away from a great game and who follows a sport I love.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest



Posts : 128
Join date : 2011-11-22

PostSubject: Less Flash and More Basics   Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:36 am

It is very easy to get control of the PG situation. Especially over the course of a 4 game tournament if you have never worked with the kids.

Game 1 -- Chat with the PG at first quarter or half time about the need for less flash and more passing. Second half, when they make two poor decisions in a row....it is substitute time. Come sit beside assistant coach and let's talk about this. Chat with head coach after the game.

Game 2 -- The first strike in game 1 is free. It is a learning experience. Strike 2 in game 2 is an immediate substitution. This is a provincial team. There are other kids on the bench that deserve a chance to get it right. Another chat with the assistant coach on the bench. Let him know that poor decision are going to start to impact his playing time. Let him sit on the bench for a while and think it over. Put him out there at the start of second half. If he is a provincial team player he should be smart enough to learn and change his behaviour. If not it is time to come chat with the assistant coach again.

Game 3- If they did not change behaviour in Game 2 second half, it is time to lose starting position. See if some time on the pines creates a learning experience. If they can get it right this game , they deserve to starting climbing up the depth laddder. Get it wrong, sub time and no more assistant coach chats...just go to the end of the bench and sit there.

Game 4 -- You either have a PG that is going to play fundamentals, or you are working down through the depth chart to find one who is willing to try.

Old school coaches just skip all the learning experience crap and do all of this in Game 1. These kids are 13 and 14 so they deserve a few strikes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red



Posts : 248
Join date : 2012-11-10

PostSubject: Re: BNB U14 Boys Team   Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:58 am

Sou_by_Souwest wrote:
It is very easy to get control of the PG situation. Especially over the course of a 4 game tournament if you have never worked with the kids.

Game 1 -- Chat with the PG at first quarter or half time about the need for less flash and more passing.  Second half, when they make two poor decisions in a row....it is substitute time. Come sit beside assistant coach and let's talk about this. Chat with head coach after the game.

Game 2 -- The first strike in game 1 is free. It is a learning experience. Strike 2 in game 2 is an immediate substitution. This is a provincial team. There are other kids on the bench that deserve a chance to get it right. Another chat with the assistant coach on the bench. Let him know that poor decision are going to start to impact his playing time. Let him sit on the bench for a while and think it over. Put him out there at the start of second half. If he is a provincial team player he should be smart enough to learn and change his behaviour. If not it is time to come chat with the assistant coach again.

Game 3- If they did not change behaviour in Game 2 second half, it is time to lose starting position. See if some time on the pines creates a learning experience. If they can get it right this game , they deserve to starting climbing up the depth laddder. Get it wrong, sub time and no more assistant coach chats...just go to the end of the bench and sit there.

Game 4 -- You either have a PG that is going to play fundamentals, or you are working down through the depth chart to find one who is willing to try.

Old school coaches just skip all the learning experience crap and do all of this in Game 1. These kids are 13 and 14 so they deserve a few strikes.

I did most of that Smile Tough for someone who's been the entire team any time he's ever played to suddenly turn into a passing PG. Given a month however I think I could of gotten through them.

I must admit, watching the girls play, they got the whole team thing instantly. They got the ball to the outlet so quickly and pushed it up the court so well because their lanes were filled. They walked over everything this weekend!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest



Posts : 128
Join date : 2011-11-22

PostSubject: Girls Team   Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:07 am

The U14 girls team was magical. I talked to a Mom from the U14 Nova Scotia team and she refused to believe those kids had only one practice together.

That team has 8 point guards and 4 tall girls. Even the talls can dribble and pass. Team strategy -- Get rebound , one girl goes wide for outlet -- dont really care who, run, spread floor and push. When a girls U14 team scores 94 points against another provincial team in the same age group, something good is happening.

Their is another 14 year old guard that is playing U15 and another 14 year old big on the U14 development team.

Mark
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red



Posts : 248
Join date : 2012-11-10

PostSubject: Re: BNB U14 Boys Team   Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:45 am

Sou_by_Souwest wrote:
The U14 girls team was magical. I talked to a Mom from the U14 Nova Scotia team and she refused to believe those kids had only one practice together.

That team has 8 point guards and 4 tall girls. Even the talls can dribble and pass. Team strategy -- Get rebound , one girl goes wide for outlet -- dont really care who, run, spread floor and push. When a girls U14 team scores 94 points against another provincial team in the same age group, something good is happening.

Their is another 14 year old guard that is playing U15 and another 14 year old big on the U14 development team.

Mark

Their passing both in the full court and half court was just perfect. No lazy lob passes, they were always on time and on target. They constantly had threats on the basket by sending cutters and always found the cutter at the right time for easy layups.

They picked things up much quicker than the boys did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawkfan



Posts : 64
Join date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: BNB U14 Boys Team   Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:35 pm

Yeah they had a flashy point guard. But under ball pressure they all had trouble keeping there head up and seeing the open man. There were many passes picked off. and the things the girls did right is just sound basic fundamentals of basketball, hence the ability to do it with such a short time together its something they have all been taught before and have done it a million times. The next step is going to be a big one for most of these boys and they better get the fundamentals down quick. Next year they won't be the fastest or the biggest so they better get ready now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest



Posts : 128
Join date : 2011-11-22

PostSubject: Boys Coaches   Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:38 pm

I have been mostly involved in the girls side of the fence in minor bball. This year I started watching more boys minor bball in NB. It struck me that the boys were constantly making poor basketball decisions and not being corrected. The fourth time you heave up a three pointer and do not hit the rim, it is time to sit by the coach at any level. Incredible lack of service to the bigs on the inside. Essentially the game was a bunch of coordinated point guards heaving up long shots. Lots of dribbling with little passing. If you were a big humping your butt up and down the floor, you would begin to wonder why you were playing the game.

Yeah, Yeah I know we are going to this Euro game were no one has a position. But guess what a 5'7" boy in grade 6 does not have the skills a 5'1" guard has at that age . The big kid has outgrown the small guards by 66% per year for the last two years and there are some coordination challenges. You have to get the big kids involved with the ball at that age, else they get frustrated and leave the game.

The U14 girls sent the ball down the floor once with a single dribble. Rebound - to outlet no dribble. Outlet to wing at centre no dribble. Centre wing to other wing cutting to centre on full stride. Unfortunately she had to take one dribble to make it to the basket. I am sure there were many time the boys had dribbled 10-15 times before they hit centre when one pass would have done the trick. I agree with coach red that it is hard to change in one tournament , so some of this is on the minor coaches.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawkfan



Posts : 64
Join date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: BNB U14 Boys Team   Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:57 pm

Essentially that is the point I was trying to make. No part of this is a coaches fault that has 1 practice then a tournament. All the boys should know the basics of basketball especially if they want to call it elite. At that level if you cant make a simple outlet pass, have a seat. And the only difference between now and 20 years ago is they don't want to call you a point guard your a 1 or 2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR



Posts : 737
Join date : 2010-01-22
Location : Southern NB

PostSubject: Re: BNB U14 Boys Team   Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:14 pm

I was impressed with what I saw from both u14 teams. The girls obviously had an easier go but I really feel like the two differences were (at least in the games I watched) A) the u14 girls did not seem to be out athleted/out sized/ out skilled in any game I saw. B) the girls did a really good job with their Packline defense and as girls at that age struggle to score out of movement 5 on 5 and shoot from deep consistently that helped contribute to their success.

Pass-cut-run the floor is effective use of skilled kids made more difficult not just by lack of skill but when out athleted as well. Even in higher level girls/guys games this weekend when facing superior defense I would see even top guards need to take an excessive number of dribbles to get into things. Part of it is learning and understanding but part is also the situation kids find themselves in.

In terms of player development everyone needs a to be able to catch the ball in transition, dribble the ball to attack and pass/finish, shoot the ball etc. As a province you can call them 5's, centres whatever you like. We just don't have a lot of them. If our best kids are going to play positions at high levels (CIS, National teams, etc) they are going to be perimeters at best stretch 4's. Last Canada Games year because of his size compared to the rest of the Team and in the province Jordan Irvine had to play/guard the 5 but is now a 3 sometimes 4 playing for UNB. Everyone needs to learn perimeter and INterior skills. How to finish strong, how to post, how defend cutter and posts are skills everyone needs too. Let kids get good at everything. I watched a National team coach working with Eric Nissen as a young high schooler, use him as an example as kid (6'7 14-15 year old) that could tell him what position he was and shouldn't have a position at his age.

I agree that everyone needs to touch the ball. Too many times because of weak m2m at younger ages ,probably even more so on the guys side where their is less concern over relationship to teammates, a lot of teams win because they let their best player isolate or play off ball screens. Big kids are more likely to be green bananas in terms of skill development and co-ordination. That doesn't mean we have to stick them at the rim/key at and just be bigger then opponents. They can still learn footwork and how to catch and play squared to the rim. They might not be able to take 2-3 dribbles to create a drive but their size and increased mass/strength gives them a more powerful first step so with a good crossover step they can get to the middle from the perimeter in 1 stride. They can also learn to rim cut, exit cut and curl or catch sqaure. Shot fakes into give and goes. Learning to catch running down the middle on a face cut where they can land wide and finish is a skill that will translate whether they are bigs later on or not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red



Posts : 248
Join date : 2012-11-10

PostSubject: Re: BNB U14 Boys Team   Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:37 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
I was impressed with what I saw from both u14 teams. The girls obviously had an easier go but I really feel like the two differences were (at least in the games I watched) A) the u14 girls did not seem to be out athleted/out sized/ out skilled in any game I saw. B) the girls did a really good job with their Packline defense and as girls at that age struggle to score out of movement 5 on 5 and shoot from deep consistently that helped contribute to their success.

Pass-cut-run the floor is effective use of skilled kids made more difficult not just by lack of skill but when out athleted as well. Even in higher level girls/guys games this weekend when facing superior defense I would see even top guards need to take an excessive number of dribbles to get into things. Part of it is learning and understanding but part is also the situation kids find themselves in.

In terms of player development everyone needs a to be able to catch the ball in transition, dribble the ball to attack and pass/finish, shoot the ball etc. As a province you can call them 5's, centres whatever you like. We just don't have a lot of them. If our best kids are going to play positions at high levels (CIS, National teams, etc) they are going to be perimeters at best stretch 4's. Last Canada Games year because of his size compared to the rest of the Team and in the province Jordan Irvine had to play/guard the 5 but is now a 3 sometimes 4 playing for UNB. Everyone needs to learn perimeter and INterior skills. How to finish strong, how to post, how defend cutter and posts are skills everyone needs too. Let kids get good at everything. I watched a National team coach working with Eric Nissen as a young high schooler, use him as an example as  kid (6'7 14-15 year old) that could tell him what position he was and shouldn't have a position at his age.

I agree that everyone needs to touch the ball. Too many times because of weak m2m at younger ages ,probably even more so on the guys side where their is less concern over relationship to teammates,  a lot of teams win because they let their best player isolate or play off ball screens. Big kids are more likely to be green bananas in terms of skill development and co-ordination. That doesn't mean we have to stick them at the rim/key at and just be bigger then opponents. They can still learn footwork and how to catch and play squared to the rim. They might not be able to take 2-3 dribbles to create a drive but their size and increased mass/strength gives them a more powerful first step so with a good crossover step they can get to the middle from the perimeter in 1 stride. They can also learn to rim cut, exit cut and curl or catch sqaure. Shot fakes into give and goes. Learning to catch running down the middle on a face cut where they can land wide and finish is a skill that will translate whether they are bigs later on or not.

I don't think many of my boys had an issue with catching / dribbling in transition, except maybe our two "bigs". I'm fully supportive of everyone being able to dribble/pass/shoot in transition, as well as everyone having an inside game. I think my biggest issue was to get to them truly to play as a team 100% of the time. There were moments for sure, but they weren't often enough to have turned the tides in our U14 BNS game.

I'm debating putting my name in for U15 next year as I'd be very interested in working with that group of boys again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR



Posts : 737
Join date : 2010-01-22
Location : Southern NB

PostSubject: Re: BNB U14 Boys Team   Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:27 pm

Coach.Red wrote:


I don't think many of my boys had an issue with catching / dribbling in transition, except maybe our two "bigs". I'm fully supportive of everyone being able to dribble/pass/shoot in transition, as well as everyone having an inside game. I think my biggest issue was to get to them truly to play as a team 100% of the time. There were moments for sure, but they weren't often enough to have turned the tides in our U14 BNS game.

I'm debating putting my name in for U15 next year as I'd be very interested in working with that group of boys again.

I would agree for the most part the requisite skills were in place with u14 boys. Their comfort/trust/confidence in using them in the appropriate situations is an issue not just with them but almost all players their age. Playing as a team 100% is probably an impossibiilty or rarity at best for any level of basketball. The key is having kids find each other when they are challenged, when they are pushed or when they need each other succeed. FOr kids who haven't played or practiced together been through adversity together its probably not going to happen so that's a situational problem not a coaching or team concern. I have no idea if the girls would have experienced the same thing as I we really didn't see them face adversity.

I think it would be great if BNB had so many people applying to coach EDP, Provincial teams, etc. That we were always pairing coaches in co-coaching and assistant/head coaching situations in all PODs and on all provincial teams out of a pool of interested and qualified coaches. Keep up the good work coach.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red



Posts : 248
Join date : 2012-11-10

PostSubject: Re: BNB U14 Boys Team   Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:31 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
Coach.Red wrote:


I don't think many of my boys had an issue with catching / dribbling in transition, except maybe our two "bigs". I'm fully supportive of everyone being able to dribble/pass/shoot in transition, as well as everyone having an inside game. I think my biggest issue was to get to them truly to play as a team 100% of the time. There were moments for sure, but they weren't often enough to have turned the tides in our U14 BNS game.

I'm debating putting my name in for U15 next year as I'd be very interested in working with that group of boys again.

I would agree for the most part the requisite skills were in place with u14 boys. Their comfort/trust/confidence in using them in the appropriate situations is an issue not just with them but almost all players their age. Playing as a team 100% is probably an impossibiilty or rarity at best for any level of basketball. The key is having kids find each other when they are challenged, when they are pushed or when they need each other succeed. FOr kids who haven't played or practiced together been through adversity together its probably not going to happen so that's a situational problem not a coaching or team concern. I have no idea if the girls would have experienced the same thing as I we really didn't see them face adversity.

I think it would be great if BNB had so many people applying to coach EDP, Provincial teams, etc. That we were always pairing coaches in co-coaching  and assistant/head coaching situations in all PODs and  on all provincial teams out of a pool of interested and qualified coaches. Keep up the good work coach.

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: BNB U14 Boys Team   Today at 5:46 am

Back to top Go down
 
BNB U14 Boys Team
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» BC U17 Boys Team (official thread)
» Big 3's for each varsity boys team
» U15 Boys Ottawa Titans AAU Basketball Team
» Kanata Cavaliers U19 Boys Tryouts
» Drive basketball U17 team vs BC Basketball U17 team?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HoopLife Forums :: High School :: New Brunswick-
Jump to: