HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Canada Games and Nationals

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Red Auerbach

PostSubject: Canada Games and Nationals   Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:41 pm

It's getting to that time when our teams will be departing for the national events. Which Team NB has the best chance of making some noise? Any medal contenders?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games and Nationals   Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:56 pm

All four teams have been very tough outs vs great teams and have high expectations heading into Nationals and Canada Games not sure the last time the u17 boys and girls both beat NS in summer. Injuries right now are the tale of tape. Both u17 teams have had injuries to key players and how they respond will be key. U15 boys were down to less then 10 players at points. This year is a bit of a crap shoot Canada Games is always a hard read because you are never sure how much different/better other provinces are going to be then normal. Nationals both u15 teams have potential to make noise but need to play up to their abilities and show a willingness to outwork to grind out some wins vs bigger provinces.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Canada Games   Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:20 pm

NB play well, enjoy, thx parents for all you do
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: NB men's performance   Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:33 am

if you have been following men's bball at CG on steamit, when available, curious on your reaction, hopefully get some insight from people who attended/coached when they return have some time:
- last nite vs Ont seemed to be a huge difference in how Ont played def, very aggressive, excellent footwork, lots of help, NB struggled to run an offence- Val Nelson seemed to be the only NB player able to work in the small spaces avail??
- is the officiating 'different' at this level- seemed like a lot of contact went uncalled, if so do NB officials need to adjust??
- Ont took ball to basket and usually scored on very athletic moves
- NB bigs struggled, lack of experience?
- quite an exhibition by Ont head coach, up 20pts and gets 2 technical fouls and tossed from the game, exiting with a finger in the air, not certain which one- is he out for next game, gold?
- NB has demonstrated they can play with and defeat middle of the pack, (AB, Sask, NFLD, PEI)  too bad they dropped close one to Man
play well today vs Que for Bronze; WOMEN NEXT WEEK!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games and Nationals   Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:36 pm

brady12 wrote:
if you have been following men's bball at CG on steamit, when available, curious on your reaction, hopefully get some insight from people who attended/coached when they return have some time:
- last nite vs Ont seemed to be a huge difference in how Ont played def, very aggressive, excellent footwork, lots of help, NB struggled to run an offence- Val Nelson seemed to be the only NB player able to work in the small spaces avail??
- is the officiating 'different' at this level- seemed like a lot of contact went uncalled, if so do NB officials need to adjust??
- Ont took ball to basket and usually scored on very athletic moves
- NB bigs struggled, lack of experience?
- quite an exhibition by Ont head coach, up 20pts and gets 2 technical fouls and tossed from the game, exiting with a finger in the air, not certain which one- is he out for next game, gold?
- NB has demonstrated they can play with and defeat middle of the pack, (AB, Sask, NFLD, PEI)  too bad they dropped close one to Man
play well today vs Que for Bronze; WOMEN NEXT WEEK!
Definitely lots to comments on here and a few things I disagree with...

Ontario plays good individual defense on the ball and are very good rebounders, but they gamble lot and tend to want to block every shot near the rim. As a group NB was not aggressive enough offensively to take advantage of Ontario's high risk, high reward defense. Val definitely was one player comfortable with the speed and contact of last night's game, but other guys were as well, including Keegan Gray, Brad Sanford, Stanley Mayambo and Dan Luton. Defensively all NB players were very good. We did a poor job of rebounding the ball but as a team we thought everyone was very good. The biggest adjustment NB needs to make to beat a team like Ontario is make shots when closely guarded or while being closed out aggressively. Last night we passed up too many open looks only to get contested shots later in the clock. We're also playing without our starting PG, Sawyer Eddy. Jared Stafford (grade 10) has done a good job filling in but Sawyer's ability to get us into our sets and his outside shooting was truly missed in last nights game.

Officiating is definitely different at Nations (Canada Games). Body contact is allowed much more than during the NB high school season. Hands fouls for the most part are called (and should be). Ideally the game would be taught and officiated this way all the time at home (AAU ball in the states is the same as Nationals...maybe more physical)

NB "bigs" are really small forwards playing those positions. Like any 6'4" or 6'5" wing player at any level they struggle to score inside against guys 4-5 inches taller. NB has only one true big man, Julian Roche. He did very well against most other bigs all week on the defensive end and rebounded better and better as the week went along. Julian Roche, Ethan O'Neil and Zach Foster are all 16 and eligible to return next years. Considering they are playing out of position and are a year young (Julian is only 15) they are doing great. They just need to adjust to having a hand in their face during close outs.

I disagree that Alberta, Sask & Manitoba are "middle of the pack" teams. They are very good teams that are well coached. Manitoba is playing in their 2nd straight silver medal game so at minimum they need to be considered a "top team" above Quebec, Alberta and BC who have been traditionally in the top 4. This year all Atlantic teams have proven they can play with anyone in this country. Every win at Nationals is earned regardless of the opponent.

Fan support here at the games and from back home has been amazing. A big thanks to everyone who has reached out to us to give their support and to wish us luck each and every game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
brady12

PostSubject: good insight   Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:48 pm

thx for the update, always good to hear from folks on the ground; play well tonite
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games and Nationals   Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:02 pm

A quote from the Ontario U17 coach following their semi-final win versus NB U17...

Quote :
“The guys worked really hard and I have to give credit to the New Brunswick team,” said Ontario head coach Fatih Asker. “They worked really hard and their heart was way bigger than ours and to be honest they outplayed us for about forty percent of this game and we weren’t able to match up with the intensity and we hoped to rest some guys before the final game but they ruined our plans. We had to play a lot of players and consume a lot of energy but we move on and tomorrow’s game is going to be very exciting, but we have 24 hours to get ready and we’re going to be fine.”
Full article...http://www.basketball.ca/canada-games-semifinals-p154882
Back to top Go down
brady12

PostSubject: great job   Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:30 pm

congrats players, coaches, parents
Back to top Go down
View user profile
C-N '06-'09

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games and Nationals   Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:32 am

Now that CGs and Nats are done, where does NB go from here to improve? I am fairly new to following the basketball world in NB, but I would say this year's men's results are solid and both women's teams were one winnable game away from me saying the same about them. That being said patting ourselves on the back is not the going to improve basketball in the province. I think hiring provincial team coaches in November is a great idea that should have some pay offs. Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Getting Better   Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:31 pm

C-N '06-'09 asks how do we get better. Here are some of my thoughts for the girls program after spending the summer watching my child play in the provincial program and AAU ball in the U.S.

1) Intensity and physicality in the game are lacking in NB. Every time someone bumps with the body on defense in NB a ref pulls out a whistle and calls a foul. (see Hard foul comment above) This removes the physical element from the game. When our teams go an play another team from a different jurisdiction, they are not used to all the body contact. I watched 4 AAU games last weekend in the U.S. Not one body call made. Kids are going up on layups and getting contacted in the air and their bodies are going sideways. No call. If the arms get whacked it is a call, but absolutely nothing on body contact. A

All of the NB basketball community needs to get on the same page for this one to be resolved.

2) We are not teaching/demanding kids to pass. Completing a game at the national level with four assists is unacceptable. If someone is ahead of you on the break , get them the damm ball!!

3) Depth!!. We have between 4-6 kids who can play at the top level. I watched a bunch of U15 and we got into trouble when we went past 7 or 8 on the bench. We need to be getting the kids at U13 level and bringing them through to U15 so we can develop a deeper bench.

4. Picking a team in May and then playing in August as Nationals is not using the time. High school ball ends in essentially by the middle of February. A few lucky kids get to go to Regionals and the finals. Get the provincial team going in 2nd or 3rd week of March. Good AAU tournaments in the States. Waiting for Team PEI and Team NS to get going so we can play them is not getting the program ahead. Also, do not be afraid to be creative. Have the U14 girsl play the U15 girls. Have the U15 girls play the U16 and U17 girls within our own organizations. Gets the kids used to playing against faster and larger teams. The year the U15 girls beat the U16 girls, we celebrate, the program is getting stronger.

5) Move basketball to club level for JV. The JV program in this province does not develop elite athletes. There is simply not enough depth. The kids playing on the top level programs may play 6-8 tough games a year and the rest are blow outs. Plus the season is too short. No practices until mid October. 28 games schedule and effectively done the first week in February. The top players can go through an entire season and play less than 10 games that push them. Run 8-10 elite club teams in the province and all the athletes to play a 28 games season (much like Triple AAA midget hockey.)

Clubs are

Saint John
KV
Sussex
Moncton
Riverview /Caledonia
Miramichi
Carleton County
Fredericton (lose the North /South thing)
Charlotte County

6) I think the Bantam Elite camp and the U14 provincial team is a great step in the right direction. However the kids in this program have no further contact with elite coaches from mid July until April of the following year. These cohorts needs to be brought back together several times during the year (Mid October start of season camp, Christmas camp) to keep them developing. A varsity or j.v. coach needs to realize their athletes long term success is more likely by letting them go to a provincial elite camp at Christmas and missing a couple exhibition tournament games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Getting Better   Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:22 am

So Item number 6 on my getting better list has been resolved. BNB is resurrecting the fall EDP program!! This is great stuff. It is a little light on the game component, but it gets the best in the province together to practice and push each other.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bev Sinclair

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games and Nationals   Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:56 am

NB needs a Centre of Excellence. One facility for court/floor sports. Live it, breathe it. School it. Numerous challenges for that scenario, but are we going to move forward or remain status quo where every three or four years we raise eyebrows with performance blips? Also, as a former Fredericton resident, I chuckled at the North-South Fredericton component in your club reference amongst many other excellent points. And great to see fall EDP. A great tracking device, but coaches need to stop using the word great when describing players. There are no great players at this age-level, let`s be honest. Good and potential are better so let`s starting identifying those players. Bev.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawkfan

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games and Nationals   Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:03 pm

The cost to play on a bnb team as compared to a club team like say storm is 3 to 4 times as much and they are every bit as competitive and sometimes beat bnb teams. For a lot of people I am sure the cost is a big issue. There were lots of club players that I saw that were more than good enough to make bnb teams.
As for there not being any great players at these age level it is just a word. If the kid does everything expected of them and is very good at the game at his age level you can call them what ever you wish. Wiping out jv is a great idea but schools like Caledonia and Salisbury or Harvey should be allowed to play where they want ,after all some areas have crazy rules like say no more than 2 outsiders allowed. We have a very large province and not a large population so it will always be a challenge to get the best dozen guys on one team for a provincial team. AS a province I think we have some great basketball players and some pretty crappy reffing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games and Nationals   Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:40 pm

hawkfan wrote:
 The cost to play on a bnb team as compared to a club team like say storm is 3 to 4 times as much and they are every bit as competitive and sometimes beat bnb teams.  For a lot of people I am sure the cost is a big issue.  There were lots of club players that I saw that were more than good enough to make bnb teams.  
 As for there not being any great players at these age level it is just a word. If the kid does everything expected of them and is very good at the game at his age level you can call them what ever you wish.  Wiping out jv is a great idea but schools like Caledonia and Salisbury or Harvey should be allowed to play where they want ,after all some areas have crazy rules like say no more than 2 outsiders allowed. We have a very large province and not a large population so it will always be a challenge to get the best dozen guys on one team for a provincial team. AS a province I think we have some great basketball players and some pretty crappy reffing.
The costs to play on a club team are exactly the same as a BNB team. Club teams that charge players less are just playing in less expensive tournaments. The training costs for a BNB team are higher because training is typically not at a local area gym for most players, however, families of BNB players have gotten back to billeting on training weekends to help reduce these costs.

Why does it matter if a club team can beat a BNB team?!?!? What are you trying to say??? This is the biggest problem I see with club basketball...too many club coaches want to compete with BNB. This attitude is really hurting provincial team programs in BC, ON and AB. We don't have enough athletes in NB to compete with each other. We need to work together. In my opinion, the BNB U15 and BNB U17 are the BEST development opportunities for players in this province. I realize not every "elite" basketball players wants to make the commitment required ($$$, time, etc) but club teams are doing their kids a huge disservice by telling athletes that a local club team is just as good, or better, than playing on the BNB U15 or BNB U17 team.

I really like the model David Cooper was trying to implement with the Mill Rats Academy. Bi-weekly training sessions were open to everyone. On the weekends those same players could play with the BNB, Mill Rats Elite or whatever else they wanted to do. The next step in this model is to coordinate the schedules so that kids can play both club and BNB.
Back to top Go down
hawkfan

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games and Nationals   Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:22 am

Hardfouls wrote:
hawkfan wrote:
 The cost to play on a bnb team as compared to a club team like say storm is 3 to 4 times as much and they are every bit as competitive and sometimes beat bnb teams.  For a lot of people I am sure the cost is a big issue.  There were lots of club players that I saw that were more than good enough to make bnb teams.  
 As for there not being any great players at these age level it is just a word. If the kid does everything expected of them and is very good at the game at his age level you can call them what ever you wish.  Wiping out jv is a great idea but schools like Caledonia and Salisbury or Harvey should be allowed to play where they want ,after all some areas have crazy rules like say no more than 2 outsiders allowed. We have a very large province and not a large population so it will always be a challenge to get the best dozen guys on one team for a provincial team. AS a province I think we have some great basketball players and some pretty crappy reffing.
The costs to play on a club team are exactly the same as a BNB team. Club teams that charge players less are just playing in less expensive tournaments. The training costs for a BNB team are higher because training is typically not at a local area gym for most players, however, families of BNB players have gotten back to billeting on training weekends to help reduce these costs.

Why does it matter if a club team can beat a BNB team?!?!? What are you trying to say??? This is the biggest problem I see with club basketball...too many club coaches want to compete with BNB. This attitude is really hurting provincial team programs in BC, ON and AB. We don't have enough athletes in NB to compete with each other. We need to work together. In my opinion, the BNB U15 and BNB U17 are the BEST development opportunities for players in this province. I realize not every "elite" basketball players wants to make the commitment required ($$$, time, etc) but club teams are doing their kids a huge disservice by telling athletes that a local club team is just as good, or better, than playing on the BNB U15 or BNB U17 team.

I really like the model David Cooper was trying to implement with the Mill Rats Academy. Bi-weekly training sessions were open to everyone. On the weekends those same players could play with the BNB, Mill Rats Elite or whatever else they wanted to do. The next step in this model is to coordinate the schedules so that kids can play both club and BNB.

It cost me 360 for 2 to 3 practices a week and 4 tournaments for the summer and the bnb teams were at 3 of them, with a 40 hour a week job and travel that is more than enough commitment for my child.
The point I was trying to make about club teams competing or beating bnb teams is simply the fact that everyone including you likes to have the attitude that bnb is the BEST development opportunity for players in this province. I measure that by how good you compete against the BEST its that simple. I am not knocking bnb I am simply pointing out the development in club teams must be pretty good.
The coaches do not have to encourage the kids to want to beat bnb teams because everyone of them actually knows what hoopslife is and reads all this stuff. MY child enjoys reading that I am doing him a huge disservice by telling him he is playing basketball all summer, which until a few years ago wasn't possible unless you played bnb, and that his team is doing great and he is getting the coaching and training that he needs to get to that next level even though he isn't playing for the BEST development program.
Hopefully for many years to come this argument will rage on because at the end of the day, if bnb is not an option at least the kids will have somewhere to play ball all summer because regardless of where they play the fact still remains at least they are playing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games and Nationals   Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:25 am

So much to respond to . . .

1) I don't think the years of top teams middle teams and bottom teams are long in existing. At each level and with each group with the notable exception of Ontario anyone seems to be able to compete and beat anyone year in and year out. The difference between the top and bottom appears more and more to be your draw and who you beat when. QC u17 women finished 8th but beat number 2 in pool play. NB u15 beat or lost by single digits to the number 4,3,2 teams in the country but go 4-2 and finish 7th. NB is right there with provinces able to compete but being able to beat teams in elimination games mid week at Nats and being able to play our way for 6 games in 6 days will determine our seeding or ranking.

2) Right now NB teams can defend at a National level and when they can get into the open court can score. Trouble comes in the half court where we cannot generate mismatches and scoring chances. The guys are a little more successful at this than the girls because despite height differences strength, explosive power and shooting from range at this level are balancing factors. In both cases though our balance, footwork, and shooting ability/ability to make contested finishes is limited and we struggle to not only get hoops in the 1/2 court but generate offensive chances that don't lead to run outs the other way.

3) Grind. Hustle, energy, effort and intensity allow NB teams to overcome and beat provinces with better size, athleticism and in some cases skill. The issue becomes that over a 8-10 day process with no days off and limited recovery time/resources getting NB athletes to survive the grind. By the u17 level some of our athletes have done enough and developed enough to survive the grind. At the u15 level this endurance, training, recovery and depth issue is huge. Even the top u15 teams changed the way the played, rotations, and how they got after people defensively as the week the went on. You can't go to nationals relying on going 6-7 deep every game, you also need the ability to play multiple ways and be successful. Games where we need energy and pace to overcome will only happen if there are games or segements of games that we can win without needing to do everything on hustle. With 6 games in 6 days and practices, poor food, little rest or recovery facilities you can only pick yourself up off the floor so many times. There is very little that resembles a nationals grind that can prepare our NB players for Nationals which is why players doing things like Bantam Elite, training camps, etc is so important. Right now our players go to Nats at u15 and learn what they need to do to prepare and train to be ready for u17 in a couple of years. If as a basketball community we could have more readied kids by u15 age you would see better results there and at the u17's. YOu have to be able to win big games as your 4th, 5th, 6th game of the week.

4) The problem with JV basketball is that in some schools it can't serve its purpose and in the others they can't agree what the purpose is. You've got a handful of very large AAA schools that need JV to develop their elite athletes because the depth of talent at those schools doesn't allow for enough room for everyone on varsity. At the remaining schools the issue becomes that schools can't seem to decide if JV is in fact junior varsity ( a feeder program/training team for future varsity players) or Grade 9-10 age/grade class championship play. With the exception of the larger schools that need something better then the current JV system, the rest of the schools could make JV work if JV was run as a developmental program not a win first program. Get rid of zone defense, have the top talent/players play varsity for their elite development, have JV coaches who work with and are mentored by varsity coaches to help develop late blooming players in 9-10. I'm not sure what the answer is for those 3-4 schools who would have provincial calibre players needing to play on JV but for everyone else (imo) the problem becomes trying to keep players back or down so they can compete or win at a JV level.

5) If you talk to any province where club ball has been established. Their biggest problem in player development, athlete retention and training athletes to have high level skills is that the provincial programs and club programs compete over kids. Provincial teams lose kids or even get kids who aren't as ready skills wise because of the amount of time, games, and type of training club teams ask. I think its great that groups like Codiac, NMBA, and anyone else who might want to offers more chances for more kids to train and play. I would hope that our basketball community would want its best players progressing through our school, club and association systems specifically with the goal of maximizing their talent and representing their families, schools and communities at a provincial or national level if possible with provincial teams, national teams, college/university teams.

6) Everyone who takes kids to nationals would like our games to be more physical in NB to help simulate that no doubt. I can only speak on the girls side, but right now 99% of high schools in NB couldn't simulate Nationals level physicality if we let them. The physcality comes from larger, stronger players using hips and shoulder and legs to drive people. Physicality in NB comes from smaller players having to clutch, grab and use their arms to create contact. This type of contact gets called at Nationals too. I would love to see a more physical game in NB, but if you want that then you also need kids who can get low and balanced, play strong through contact, generate physical play using their chest, core muscles not their arms. Kids don't train. We've got a culture where we compete with other sports and to make our sport the most appealing and most fun we play more games. Places where it is not a problem is where if you don't train you don't play (larger centres/ larger schools) most of our associations, schools, and clubs need to be less focused on retaining athletes by playing more games but by using more small sided games as training methods in practice and using time or schedules allotted to playing games to expose kids to training types opportunities. I'm not saying the mini teams/ bantam teams need to be boot camp. Time with your team is for practicing skills/ Kids need to understand and appreciate that training and fitness are part of being successful, not just finding ways to win with what you have but developing skills, bodies, and minds to be able to win.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games and Nationals   Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:19 pm

I think summer club teams are great for all the reasons hawkfan lists above. That's why I run my own club and would like to see more clubs offering summer training opportunities. Obviously not everyone who is interested in playing for BNB can make the team. For those who want to play but are not selected, the club teams are the perfect solution to keep improving. They are also the perfect solution for those who are not interested in the higher commitment required to play BNB (more travel, more weekend travel, longer season, etc.)

The ONLY issue I have is there are club coaches in this province that do not want their athletes going out for BNB teams and are actively "recruiting" or "steering" players away from attending try-outs. Hopefully this will change and we can work together to raise the level of basketball across all of NB.
Back to top Go down
Bev Sinclair

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games and Nationals   Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:07 pm

There is obvious passion for the game and a number of different opportunities awaiting potential players whether they're selected as one of 12 for BNB teams or continue their 'off-season' with club squads. Either way, kids are playing. With so many different options, opinions and attention to detail, I found out this morning the BNB annual meeting is here in Saint John the last weekend of September. I attended one a few years ago, but the population was sparse. Maybe more folks need to run for a spot or step forward. There's a lot of progressive ideas out there and perhaps new ideas would be welcome. It's not about making change, it's about providing ideas, I guess. A cold beer could lead to some good conversation! Bev
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: coaching development   Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:17 pm

great to see so much coming out of this forum, most things were touched but did not read anything about coaching and the on going challenge to get the best and then make them better. For me this is absolutely fundamental I have seen a lot of very talented individuals and some very talented teams not max their potential because the coaching could not deliver. The hum amongst parents with whom I have communicated over the past 7 years (jv, varsity, BNB, club teams) is give my child a solid coach and the time, money and commitment will generally follow. Spend any time with a coach who is not right for the job and the player is lost and so are the parents and other siblings, friends. Not much faith that BNB or school system pay any real attention to the feedback processes or performance when it comes to coaching. There some very good coaches and they need to be appreciated and encouraged. A prov with limited resources cannot afford to have poor coaching involved in the development of our athletes at any level. Certification is part of it but support for development is key.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games and Nationals   Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:11 am

brady12 wrote:
great to see so much coming out of this forum, most things were touched but did not read anything about coaching and the on going challenge to get the best and then make them better.  For me this is absolutely fundamental I have seen a lot of very talented individuals and some very talented teams not max their potential because the coaching could not deliver.  The hum amongst parents with whom I have communicated over the past 7 years (jv, varsity, BNB, club teams) is give my child a solid coach and the time, money and commitment will generally follow.  Spend any time with a coach who is not right for the job and the player is lost and so are the parents and other siblings, friends.  Not much faith that BNB or school system pay any real attention to the  feedback processes or performance when it comes to coaching. There some very good coaches and they need to be appreciated and encouraged.  A prov with limited resources  cannot afford to have poor coaching involved in the development of our athletes at any level. Certification is part of it but support for development is key.
Coaching development is a key piece. Not just with provincial teams but with associations and coaches. These coaches need confidence in curriculum delivery, organization, and the tools support to help improve developing the product we are growing in the province. Its important that we develop as many coaches we can who are developing players and trying to get our LTAD on track in NB. Winning and tactics that help us at Mini and bantam levels need to become less of a priority then developing kids that can succeed and achieve at high levels.

In terms of BNB provincial coaches, I've yet to meet one who isn't looking for feedback or ways to improve themselves, their coaching and their players. If there are better coaches out there willing to be involved BNB would more then welcome them to work with players as EDP coaches, mentors and get as many as they can involved with provincial teams. The provincial team coaches also have many formal and informal ways of evaluating and improving themselves built into the program (TD travelling to Nats to assist coach & hold meetings and debrief, Canada Basketball offers a coaching evaluation program as part of Nats, BNB coaches travelling together collaborate and debrief, etc). We obviously need to continue to do more.

Things that BNB and all coaches can do moving forward:

- Any coaching or trainer clinics that can be offered or attended should be by as many interested parties as possible. Definitely in areas where depth of coaching/quality coaching is an issue.

- Curriculum's for EDP and LTAD need to be implemented by as many associations as possible.

- Rule modifications for younger ages need to be embraced for their philosophical implications and the required training methods. Avoid determining how to use the rules to our advantage. Have BNB provide appropriate supports for how they would like to see athletes trained to play under these rule mods.

- Associations should avoid regionalization in areas of concern over player development and team composition. Don't train or pick teams because this is what will best help our high school coach/team, or this is who we play in area X. Offer teams and train kids to make them able to play as long as possible and be successful players at whatever level they feel is right for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games and Nationals   Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:51 am

CoachDJR wrote:
brady12 wrote:
great to see so much coming out of this forum, most things were touched but did not read anything about coaching and the on going challenge to get the best and then make them better.  For me this is absolutely fundamental I have seen a lot of very talented individuals and some very talented teams not max their potential because the coaching could not deliver.  The hum amongst parents with whom I have communicated over the past 7 years (jv, varsity, BNB, club teams) is give my child a solid coach and the time, money and commitment will generally follow.  Spend any time with a coach who is not right for the job and the player is lost and so are the parents and other siblings, friends.  Not much faith that BNB or school system pay any real attention to the  feedback processes or performance when it comes to coaching. There some very good coaches and they need to be appreciated and encouraged.  A prov with limited resources  cannot afford to have poor coaching involved in the development of our athletes at any level. Certification is part of it but support for development is key.
Coaching development is a key piece. Not just with provincial teams but with associations and coaches. These coaches need confidence in curriculum delivery, organization, and the tools support to help improve developing the product we are growing in the province. Its important that we develop as many coaches we can who are developing players and trying to get our LTAD on track in NB. Winning and tactics that help us at Mini and bantam levels need to become less of a priority then developing kids that can succeed and achieve at high levels.

In terms of BNB provincial coaches, I've yet to meet one who isn't looking for feedback or ways to improve themselves, their coaching and their players. If there are better coaches out there willing to be involved BNB would more then welcome them to work with players as EDP coaches, mentors and get as many as they can involved with provincial teams. The provincial team coaches also have many formal and informal ways of evaluating and improving themselves built into the program (TD travelling to Nats to assist coach & hold meetings and debrief, Canada Basketball offers a coaching evaluation program as part of Nats, BNB coaches travelling together collaborate and debrief, etc). We obviously need to continue to do more.

Things that BNB and all coaches can do moving forward:

- Any coaching or trainer clinics that can be offered or attended should be by as many interested parties as possible. Definitely in areas where depth of coaching/quality coaching is an issue.

- Curriculum's for EDP and LTAD need to be implemented by as many associations as possible.

- Rule modifications for younger ages need to be embraced for their philosophical implications and the required training methods. Avoid determining how to use the rules to our advantage. Have BNB provide appropriate supports for how they would like to see athletes trained to play under these rule mods.

- Associations should avoid regionalization in areas of concern over player development and team composition. Don't train or pick teams because this is what will best help our high school coach/team, or this is who we play in area X. Offer teams and train kids to make them able to play as long as possible and be successful players at whatever level they feel is right for them.
I've been looking to get my Level 2 for almost 2 years now. There hasn't been anything offered from BNB. There have also been other clinics I'd like to attend but financially I can't go to them all. Maybe BNB would cover some of the cost.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games and Nationals   Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:38 am

I've been looking to get my Level 2 for almost 2 years now. There hasn't been anything offered from BNB. There have also been other clinics I'd like to attend but financially I can't go to them all. Maybe BNB would cover some of the cost.[/quote]

Our local association covers training costs or at least makes donation towards that might be a place to start. Not sure of your situation, but level 2 no longer exists. The old levels 1,2,3 are still good in terms of if you have them they are still recognized but the new coaching levels through NCCP are the only courses now available.

Also the new TD is available to provide information/curriculum and training techniques to associations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games and Nationals   Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:04 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
I've been looking to get my Level 2 for almost 2 years now. There hasn't been anything offered from BNB. There have also been other clinics I'd like to attend but financially I can't go to them all. Maybe BNB would cover some of the cost.
Our local association covers training costs or at least makes donation towards that might be a place to start. Not sure of your situation, but level 2 no longer exists. The old levels 1,2,3 are still good in terms of if you have them they are still recognized but the new coaching levels through NCCP are the only courses now available.

Also the new TD is available to provide information/curriculum and training techniques to associations.[/quote]
Yes that's what I mean, NCCP Intro to competition advanced is what I'm looking for.

My association pays for the cost of the NCCP courses, but if there's anything else I want it comes out of my own pocket.

I've talked to the TD about getting a "Level 2" course going.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
C-N '06-'09

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games and Nationals   Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:22 pm

Coach.Red wrote:
CoachDJR wrote:

Also the new TD is available to provide information/curriculum and training techniques to associations.
Yes that's what I mean, NCCP Intro to competition advanced is what I'm looking for.

My association pays for the cost of the NCCP courses, but if there's anything else I want it comes out of my own pocket.

I've talked to the TD about getting a "Level 2" course going.[/quote]
I've talked to Reg Springer about Intro to Comp Adv/Train to Train Training. He said CB was revamping it a bit. He also said he needs 8 coaches to offer it. The whole NCCP is going through changes again, I believe. This may be why CB has changed the names over the last couple years to L2T, T2T, T2C, etc.?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Canada Games and Nationals   Today at 7:29 am

Back to top Go down

Canada Games and Nationals
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1