HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Holy Cross Sr. Boys another upset?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zumreed

PostSubject: Holy Cross Sr. Boys another upset?    Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:48 am

With the addition of the Kongbo, the 6'6 forward. And the twin towers (6'5 a piece) and Dodozza towering almost 6'8. The team has the height but lack strength in the back court. Will Taylor Browne along with combo guards Pereira and Jeyamanharn and 10th grade team BC guard Alex Asperin be able to make some noise and possibly push for a chance to redeem themselves for the upset that occurred in the 2A boys Provinical Playoff by winning the inaugural season of 4A?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Holy Cross Sr. Boys another upset?    Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:28 am

(To me) Holy Cross goes as far as Taylor Browne takes them.

Although they have plenty of size, do those players know how to play with that trait? Kongbo last year looked like he didn't even want to be on the court. From what I saw he shows no assertiveness in using his size/athleticism to dominate smaller players or take on the challenge of playing against stronger competition. He seems like a good kid off the court but does he even want to play basketball?

Bright has excellent length but needs to put on some weight (especially if he wants to play post-secondary). He has the ability to be a legit shot blocker/changer but I don't see much on the offensive end. If he can develop a legit hook or learn to back down to 3-4 feet from the hoop, he should be able to score at will by going over the top.

The twins (I wouldn't call them towers at 6'5"..after all, that's SG height) have amazing passion for the game and I think any team in the province would love to have them on their team. Although they're raw on the offensive side, they have solid chemistry and are really "about the team" which is why this team had success (despite their provincial upset) last year.

What this team lacks is solid wing play/shooters. Yes, Taylor is an amazing shooter and will probably make a number of gorgeous plays over the course of the season but I think we all know, you still need complementary players. Pereira fills this void, but I'm not sure how much he can give a team every night. He might knock down a three or two a game..but that might be it.

I think one of the biggest benefits this team has is they can over the top on zone D and may look to set back screens in the post for alley oop passes...teams without height/athletic players will struggle to guard all the players they have. But on the defensive side, this team should be amazing..not only do the twins after the arm length and speed to guard players on the wing, but if anyone gets beat they'll have any combination of Mad Bros/Bright/Jon downlow.

All told....I think this all poses the question of where does this team go if they don't have Taylor? Forbid something happens to him...if he's in foul trouble, who do they have to make everything click for the bigs? I think he'll be their most important player this year.

With all this being said, aside from Taylor, I haven't seen any of them play this summer so I'm assuming they'll have put in some work.
Back to top Go down
hard2thehole

PostSubject: Re: Holy Cross Sr. Boys another upset?    Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:07 am

Too early to crown them.  Most teams aren't going to have the size, poise, and shooting needed to deal with all that length and athleticism on either end of the floor, but the elite teams will cope.

Basketball isnt played on paper, but Holy Cross surely does look nice if Kongbo comes through.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Holy Cross Sr. Boys another upset?    Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:15 pm

hard2thehole wrote:
Too early to crown them.  Most teams aren't going to have the size, poise, and shooting needed to deal with all that length and athleticism on either end of the floor, but the elite teams will cope.

Basketball isnt played on paper, but Holy Cross surely does look nice if Kongbo comes through.

Agreed, way too early too make any predictions for the 4A title next season, but one thing is for sure the Valley will be a gauntlet of tough competition again, Tammy, Mouat, Grove, Sardis, Gleneagle, and Fox all have experience and some size, Holy Cross will have to demonstrate the ability to be a defensive force on the floor not just on paper, but it should make for another interesting season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Holy Cross Sr. Boys another upset?    Today at 9:02 am

Back to top Go down

Holy Cross Sr. Boys another upset?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1