HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

BC Hoops Site

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Coach Yash

PostSubject: BC Hoops Site   Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:19 am

With respect to what VancouverBasketball.ca is trying to accomplish, I'm interested in starting a site that focuses on the HS level of basketball (initial focus is boys as that's who I coach). From reading the comments in the BC forum, it seems we have many users who have been in the HS scene for quite a while and I wanted to get some ideas as to the type of content you'd like to see on here.

In my mind, I'd want to create something that's a "one-stop shop" for all things related to HS basketball including club play..for example:
-Finding/posting articles written by online publications (The Province, regional/city newspapers, etc)
-Posting an official list of commitments
-Tracking club teams (roster, schedule, scores)
--Listing clubs, their areas and basic information
-Club tournamnets held in the province
-Basketball academy/training centre list
-Twitter feed of various coaches/people involved in the province's basketball scene

I would not want to create a new forum as I've been a part of HoopLife since its first iteration in the early/mid 2000s and would want discussions to continue here.

I'd also like to say that what Tom Tagami and Ted Cusick have done with the BCHSBBA site is phenomenal and is the type of thing coaches need to continue to be involved in.

Any feedback/thoughts is appreciated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bchoopscoop.ca

PostSubject: Social media   Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:44 pm

One of my pet peeves about BC High School Basketball is that it is very difficult to find out what is happening around the province. This forum (and Sport Victoria) are great but it is mainly used by parents and coaches and the negativity of some posters has turned many people away. The major downside of these sites is that the kids do not participate for the most part.

If you go to the BC High School Football web site and look under Notice Board, the post on Sept 5th announces a new social media program to tie the BC football community together and share information.
They have set up Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube etc.. and give out the information so they can get all parties (parents/kids/coaches/fans etc) to contribute.

I think this is an awesome idea and should be implemented by Basketball BC. There has been a lot of people questioning the role of Basketball BC lately. It seems to me that spearheading a major initiative to promote the sport through social media would be viewed as a positive move by everyone. This is a program that would benefit all stakeholders in the basketball community.

From a selfish standpoint, I look forward to the day where everyone in the BC Basketball community contributes content through common social media sites. It would make it so much easier for me to stay in touch with the game I love so much!

I will forward my thoughts on to a few people at Basketball BC and see where it goes.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: BC Hoops Site   Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:42 am

I've started off what I'm calling "BC Hoop Scoop" on twitter so those of you on twitter, please do follow - @BCHoopScoop.

As I spend most my time coaching I'll be watching games when I can and start to work up something of a blog/site for various information that I'm hoping to cover.

I plan to cover HS (boys for now), CCAA, CIS and hopefully track players from BC that are playing professionally. I'll post updates in this thread as I'm sure there are people on here who can help me out in regards to BC players playing pro/college outside of BC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bchoopscoop.ca
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BC Hoops Site   Today at 4:42 am

Back to top Go down
BC Hoops Site
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1