HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 So...Who Are the Coaching Gurus; Who's Up and Coming?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bev Sinclair



Posts : 23
Join date : 2013-08-20

PostSubject: So...Who Are the Coaching Gurus; Who's Up and Coming?   Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Following the EDP thread turned to some coaching talk. There are truly some solid coaches in the province at boys' and girls' levels from youth to CIS/CCCA. Who are some of those top coaches and who are some of the up and coming coaches who perhaps aren't chips off the old block and are trying new approaches? This doesn't have to be about banners and titles, but coaching in terms of spawning other coaches, developing players and in it for the right reasons...especially if they're not getting paid. I like the fact there is a new wave coming through, blending nicely with some veterans. Bev (Coach Cleats!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR



Posts : 736
Join date : 2010-01-22
Location : Southern NB

PostSubject: Re: So...Who Are the Coaching Gurus; Who's Up and Coming?   Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:27 pm

There is just so many quality coaches in NB that depending on your criteria this list could just go on and on I'll hit some highlights for me. These are people that I think myself or other coaches would benefit from watching or working with. These people all bring unqiue things to the sport that other coaches could learn a lot from.

Veterans
Peter MacAleenan - Sussex
Rick Cotter - Fredericton
Dave Daye - Woodstock
Dave McMullin - Harvey
Jon Brain - Perth-Andover
Greg Gould - Now in PEI?
Dwight Dickinson - Fredericton
Reg Springer - Fredericton
Joyce Slipp- Fredericton
Don Walker - St. Stephen
Tom Hendershot - Campobello

Current Coaches
Fred Connors - STU
John Hickey - LHHS
Jay Lavigne - Rothesay
Paul Vaughn - KVHS
Jon MacAloon - Fredericton
Bill Mayberry - Rothesay/SJ
Paul Daley - Fredericton
Neil Smith - Moncton
Jim Watters - Miramichi
Serge Langis - Moncton



Lots more I'm sure but this is a quick list of people who I have worked with or would love to work with that bring unique perspective to the game.


Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88



Posts : 258
Join date : 2010-02-01
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: So...Who Are the Coaching Gurus; Who's Up and Coming?   Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:19 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
There is just so many quality coaches in NB that depending on your criteria this list could just go on and on I'll hit some highlights for me. These are people that I think myself or other coaches would benefit from watching or working with. These people all bring unqiue things to the sport that other coaches could learn a lot from.

Veterans
Peter MacAleenan - Sussex
Rick Cotter - Fredericton
Dave Daye - Woodstock
Dave McMullin - Harvey
Jon Brain - Perth-Andover
Greg Gould - Now in PEI?
Dwight Dickinson - Fredericton
Reg Springer - Fredericton
Joyce Slipp- Fredericton
Don Walker - St. Stephen
Tom Hendershot - Campobello

Current Coaches
Fred Connors - STU
John Hickey - LHHS
Jay Lavigne - Rothesay
Paul Vaughn - KVHS
Jon MacAloon - Fredericton
Bill Mayberry - Rothesay/SJ
Paul Daley - Fredericton
Neil Smith - Moncton
Jim Watters - Miramichi
Serge Langis - Moncton



Lots more I'm sure but this is a quick list of people who I have worked with or would love to work with that bring unique perspective to the game.


Not sure how Ron Hooper- (Petitcodiac) is not the list....I'd have him at the TOP of the veterans list...he'll be going into his (I believe) 58th year of coaching this year...surely a NB record. I think he has done quite well over those years...lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR



Posts : 736
Join date : 2010-01-22
Location : Southern NB

PostSubject: Re: So...Who Are the Coaching Gurus; Who's Up and Coming?   Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:13 pm

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:
CoachDJR wrote:


Not sure how Ron Hooper- (Petitcodiac) is not the list....I'd have him at the TOP of the veterans list...he'll be going into his (I believe) 58th year of coaching this year...surely a NB record. I think he has done quite well over those years...lol.
My list is not extensive of all the quality coaches in NB. I just listed the ones I was familiar with who I thought myself or other coaches could benifit from working with. I know Ron has coached a long time and had success I'm just not familiar enough with him or his strengths to have put him on my list. You might be right I just can't confirm.

If we just start listing people who've coached a long time, won a lot or who are good coaches from the mini ranks to CIS we're gonna waste even more time here then we should
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12



Posts : 144
Join date : 2013-04-07

PostSubject: more coaches NB   Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:24 pm

here a few others that deserve attention:
Amanda Sharpe- Grand Manan
Amber Lenihan- SSHS
Erin MacAleenan- Alberta CG and U of Lethbridge
Ryan Daye Fundy
Greg Gould UPEI
Bev Greenlaw- Acadia
Dan Goggin- UNB

some are getting experience, some plying their trade away from NB, all have NB roots and doing well!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88



Posts : 258
Join date : 2010-02-01
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: So...Who Are the Coaching Gurus; Who's Up and Coming?   Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:47 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:


Not sure how Ron Hooper- (Petitcodiac) is not the list....I'd have him at the TOP of the veterans list...he'll be going into his (I believe) 58th year of coaching this year...surely a NB record. I think he has done quite well over those years...lol.
My list is not extensive of all the quality coaches in NB. I just listed the ones I was familiar with who I thought myself or other coaches could benifit from working with. I know Ron has coached a long time and had success I'm just not familiar enough with him or his strengths to have put him on my list. You might be right I just can't confirm.

If we just start listing people who've coached a long time, won a lot or who are good coaches from the mini ranks to CIS we're gonna waste even more time here then we should
LOL....Hooper has won over 100 banners, published a book...umm..something like the 'History of Basketball in NB'...and has a gym named after him....and he is not on the list....LOL...You might want to get familiar with him....

"In a ceremony held in the Ron Hooper Gymnasium, coach Ron Hooper received the Queen's Jubilee Medal for his significant contributions to sports in Petitcodiac. He has coached the boys basketball team since 1957. It is said to be a North American record that he has coached in one school for over 50 years..."

And NOT on the list.....could be right...no, I AM RIGHT.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bev Sinclair



Posts : 23
Join date : 2013-08-20

PostSubject: Re: So...Who Are the Coaching Gurus; Who's Up and Coming?   Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:19 am

Mr. Hooper should be there, just an honest oversight by an individual contributing to the list.
My old buddy Dauber and I were discussing this thread last night and he wanted to add Fredericton's Ryan Chase to the group. He's well thought of in Basketball Canada circles. Dauber's typewriter is broken so he couldn't contribute.
I'm sure there's more, but it does appear the debate forum is always wide open here! Bev
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR



Posts : 736
Join date : 2010-01-22
Location : Southern NB

PostSubject: Re: So...Who Are the Coaching Gurus; Who's Up and Coming?   Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:53 am

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:
CoachDJR wrote:
GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:


Not sure how Ron Hooper- (Petitcodiac) is not the list....I'd have him at the TOP of the veterans list...he'll be going into his (I believe) 58th year of coaching this year...surely a NB record. I think he has done quite well over those years...lol.
My list is not extensive of all the quality coaches in NB. I just listed the ones I was familiar with who I thought myself or other coaches could benifit from working with. I know Ron has coached a long time and had success I'm just not familiar enough with him or his strengths to have put him on my list. You might be right I just can't confirm.

If we just start listing people who've coached a long time, won a lot or who are good coaches from the mini ranks to CIS we're gonna waste even more time here then we should
LOL....Hooper has won over 100 banners, published a book...umm..something like the 'History of Basketball in NB'...and has a gym named after him....and he is not on the list....LOL...You might want to get familiar with him....

"In a ceremony held in the Ron Hooper Gymnasium, coach Ron Hooper received the Queen's Jubilee Medal for his significant contributions to sports in Petitcodiac. He has coached the boys basketball team since 1957. It is said to be a North American record that he has coached in one school for over 50 years..."

And NOT on the list.....could be right...no, I AM RIGHT.
IN order:

A) My list is not "THE" list. My first list was coaches I knew and have worked around who I think other coaches would learn unique things from. I can't speak about Coach Hooper, who is a well respected coach with great credentials, but I've never worked around him or his programs and have only seen him coach a couple of times and only in game situations.

B) Ryan CHase is a great add to any list. Lori Wall has coaches just about every level there is in the province.

C) Liz Doyle, Alyssa Lebans, Mike King  are all strong young coaches not mentioned. Kevin Duffie who works on the Acadia men's staff is an NB guy too.

D) I'm not as familiar some coaches but just on reputation and resume Coach Adair in Campbellton is another guy who has been around for a long time and has found ways to compete. Gary Young, Phil Wright, Steve O'Rourke of Fredericton all have solid credentials looking at length/types or career/ win loss records. Ian Dunlop from CNHS another veteran guy with tons on his resume.  Dave Nutbrown if we are really opening up the way back Machine. Nate McKibbon who coaches Ontario U15 girls to a gold medal this summer is former NB product.

E) I'm not as familiar with a lot of the young youth coaches but there are a ton of coaches in the Sussex Region producing quality kids. There are all over too I'm sure when we see traditionally strong programs in places like KV, Woodstock, Fredericton, Moncton. I couldn't start to name drop without leaving out a ton of people but they all must have their share of strong youth coaches in those regions too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakercoach



Posts : 76
Join date : 2011-11-22

PostSubject: Re: So...Who Are the Coaching Gurus; Who's Up and Coming?   Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:40 pm

Hi Folks. I would add a few more to the list:
 
Wayne Veysey- coached at PRHS for years and won I think 7 or 8 varsity girls titles in a row in the late 70's early 80's. He also has won a number of boys titles at PRHS and GM. Currently coaching vasity boys in GM. I would say if you are looking to pick some brains about basketabll and you were an up and coming coach I would suggest you schedule a sit down with Ron Hooper and Wayne veysey as a starting point.
 
I would also add Iain Dunlop in potato country to the list.
 
Moira Gagnon- seems to be having some success. RHS and now KVHS.
 
And GM Breaker I believe Rankine Smith wrote the book you are referencing, not Ron H.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakercoach



Posts : 76
Join date : 2011-11-22

PostSubject: Re: So...Who Are the Coaching Gurus; Who's Up and Coming?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:10 pm

One more addition and one comment:

Dan Goggin- involved with UNB girls and guys programs and BNB provincial teams. One of those coaches that kids will play for, all you have to do is watch the kids when he is coaching and it is evident that they would run through a brick wall for him.

I see that those involved with our Canada Games girls program have not got a mention in this thread. Things that make you go hmmm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12



Posts : 144
Join date : 2013-04-07

PostSubject: coaches   Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:32 pm

agree Dan Goggin is doing well; CG girls, hmm! FHS girls Hmm!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls



Posts : 139
Join date : 2010-01-29

PostSubject: Re: So...Who Are the Coaching Gurus; Who's Up and Coming?   Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:17 pm

I think any coaching list needs to include Scott Jones from Woodstock. What his teams have done over the last decade is as good a 10-year stretch as anyone has ever done in this province.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
lebronrocks



Posts : 47
Join date : 2011-01-18

PostSubject: FYI   Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:47 pm

Just some info for everyone... Coaching Super Clinic this weekend in Saint John at UNBSJ , Friday evening and Saturday . Some of the above named 'Gurus" will be there as presenters and I am pretty sure in the audience as well.
Great chance to hear some great basketball people share their secrets , as well lots of opportunity to network with other coaches from across NB . ( even get some scheduling finished :-)
Great opportunity to learn and share basketball ideas.

I mean we get after our players to put in extra work and work on their game to improve on their own time, don't we have a responsibility to do the same ..... just sayin :-)

" When you're through improving , you're through " John Wooden
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: So...Who Are the Coaching Gurus; Who's Up and Coming?   Today at 7:16 am

Back to top Go down
 
So...Who Are the Coaching Gurus; Who's Up and Coming?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» So...Who Are the Coaching Gurus; Who's Up and Coming?
» Life coaching and women empowerment!
» DotA 2 Coaching System - Unfair Advantage?
» New LEGO store coming to Newark, DE!!!
» Skaven are coming, oh Noes

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HoopLife Forums :: High School :: New Brunswick-
Jump to: