HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Girls - Teams to Watch

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Girls - Teams to Watch   Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:39 pm

Who are the projected top teams in each area this season?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:31 pm

In the south it will be Raymond #1, Chinook #2, 3,4,5,6 in no order CCH, Cardston,Magrath, Med Hat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:05 pm

It will be an interesting year in Calgary I think as a number of teams will be in the hunt. Its only September but here is my preseason Calgary top 5. Abe and Churchill should be the top two, don't know in what order though.... have to give it to Churchill as their defending City Champions.

1) Churchill - all depends on if all returning players do in fact return. If they don't then they would fall big time.
2) Aberhart
3) Grandin
4) Centennial
5) Ernest Manning
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:55 pm

anyone from the North like to give it shot?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopitup

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:43 am

Centennial has the best program in Calgary year after year and will be a top 2 team again this year. I heard a few key Churchill girls will stay with club volleyball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:02 pm

I don't know if I would say Centennial has the best program year after year but they have definitely been among the top for a while now. I only say that because I think Churchill has won more city championships and has done better at provincials over the same period of time. If what you say is true and Churchills volleyball players do indeed play club volleyball Churchill is in for a long season. Perhaps Centennial should take Churchills spot in my preseason top 5. With Ernest Manning moving to the south division one thing I know for sure is that the south will be very strong.

Centennial
Aberhart
Grandin
Manning
Scarlett

What would your top 5 be hoopitup?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:38 pm

?

Last edited by seenandcalled on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : hacked)
Back to top Go down
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:25 pm

Some things never change... for a bit of accuracy and clarity. It will be interesting to see how things shape up in the newly combined Edmonton Metro/Public league (finally). For those were unaware, the two leagues have finally combined under the Edmonton Metro banner (following their regulations etc.). I am not completely sure on how the division of teams into tiers will take place (for example - there were 13 teams in premier division last year in Edmonton Public and Edmonton Metro - will they all opt up to remain in tier 1?). The format will now be similar to Calgary in terms of divisions (3). Volleyball has about 8 teams in Div 1, with a massive div 2 division and a smaller division 3. Some traditionally premier teams opted into div 2 which was surprising.
As for the top teams in Edmonton & area @ 4a level;
Spruce Grove, Ainley and SACHS would on paper be considered the top 3 with multiple top players returning from their teams from last year. All 3 have provincial team players at the u15/u16 and u17 levels in addition to solid club experiences for many of the "non-provincial" athletes.
Close behind would be Bev Facey, Paul Kane - return the majority of their players (both) and have played a lot of basketball together (spring, summer and now fall league). O'Leary, ST FX, Scona, Shep all have some top talent and are always a tough, but the top 5 have better depth with talent.

As for SACHS in particular, we will be opting to 4A so hopefully the nagging will cease on that topic. Yes, I apparently make all decisions unilaterally without consulting my AC's, administration and most importantly the parents about whether to opt up or not... Now by doing so all my $$$$ bonuses for championship banners of any kind is in jeopardy but I will risk that for the extra 2 competitive games at provincials and the better preparation it will provide our athletes as they move on the next level....sure... I must be following my players to GMAC and it would have nothing to do with Rob Poole, one of the best coaches in the country (in my opinion) and having the opportunity to work with him as GMAC transitions into the CIS in 2014...while hopefully "padding" my resume for what? Teaching another 10 years?
I'm a huge fan of the Cardstons, Raymonds etc. but if you looked at the provincial archives they won a lot at the 3A level before they made the jump to 4A to STAY. Yes, last year was successful for us but I would think coaches would agree that last year was a "down" year for girls basketball in general and that this year will be very competitive across the board and even more so in 2014-15. Please accept my apologies for not opting up to 4A last year with a team returning 3 players and having 5 grade 10's. If there is any coach that would do that - good for them, I doubt they post while remaining un-named. For those that know as well, the opt up deadline has been changed this season to January 15 (vs. dec 15th as it has been) so if the opt up deadline was later - we would have moved up to 4A last year. As for having the best team we've ever had - no chance - 2012 was better and you would know that if you watched us play and measured the competition. I wonder why (sorry Janice) nobody questions why McCoy is not going 4A when 2 of last 3 years we were #2 seed and had not beaten them prior to provincial finals.... I digress..

I do think there will be a lot of parity (similar to last years 4A's) in the province this year with the top 10 4A teams but I believe the quality of BB will be higher.

So for my money;
Chinook, Centennial, Raymond, Spruce Grove and SACHS will start out in top 5 (no order) - Ainley, Aberhart, Grandin (they are young I believe..) Cardston (not sure) and then a pack of EM, PK, BEV facey that could surprise..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:57 pm

Grandin and Aberhart will both be very young teams with most of their respective rosters being made up of grade 11's. Future looks very good for Aberhart as their junior team will also be made up of talented players. Combined that with good coaching and it looks like they will be around for a while..... and to think I always thought it was just a volleyball school. I think both teams will be top 10 all year. Its going to be an interesting season as a lot of not so traditional teams will be in the mix.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:14 am

?

Last edited by seenandcalled on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : hacked)
Back to top Go down
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:07 pm

what is the word on Sir Winston and club volleyball, did hear they have some great volleyball players.
Also Chinook is one awesome volleyball team, surprised some of them dont play club volleyball as well.
Also didnt know the north had a "fall league" as well! Did not think you could do that so close to the start up of the season???
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:13 pm

?

Last edited by seenandcalled on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : hacked)
Back to top Go down
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:15 am

Man, I can't win.. humbled again by some apparent know-it-alls who can't confirm to even putting in the time to coach but having plenty of time to look up ATA Professional Code of Conduct. I could always text Janice and see if she was insulted in any way about the possible suggestion as to whether she TOO gets asked to move up to 4A on a regular basis (which was my point - you missed it). I do appreciate a good conversation with valid opinions, however, it's easy to criticize as a semi-disinterested observer of provincial team sports - yet someone who seems to have followed girls basketball quite intently (you know a lot about me). Have a conversation with any of our program's players and see if they feel they were "short changed" in any way in terms of their basketball experience and training. Here's my full name - John Dedrick - you know where I teach - so lets have a coffee and you can further enlighten me on the errors of my ways and hidden motivations. As you alluded to C'mon man - lets talk. I don't mind being labelled a jerk, just get to know me as one before you started suggesting it:) 
jdedrick@gsacrd.ab.ca

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:56 pm

When and where will be the first tests for the girls teams? When do the first rankings come out?
Who are the rankers in each area?
No one in the North want to comment on the "fall league"?!?
seenandcalled, SAHS did not crush everyone last year, they lost to #1 Winston Churchhill at Spruce Grove if my info is correct?!?
Why is Centennial so highly touted this year? They proved that they were over ranked again at Provincials, did they not graduate any players?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopitup

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:49 pm

Any information on the Calgary Basketball classic? That will be the first test for the Calgary teams this year. What big tournaments go on in the south and Edmonton early in the year?
Centennial went 3-1 at provincials last year. Their loss came to a red hot Raymond. How can you say they didn't live up to expectations? Look at the past 5 years and how many other teams have been as consistent with results in Calgary and in the province. Centennial is a top 5 team every year! Raymond and Churchill would be the other two most consistent teams. I am a Centennial supporter, but the results speak for themselves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:10 pm

Centennial has been a very competitive team the last few years but they have yet to win big games at the provincial tournament. Not taking anything away from their success because without a doubt they have been among the top teams in Calgary for quite a few seasons now. However its tough to make an argument that they have been more competitive then Churchill. You ride the ups and downs of high school basketball.... no one stays at the top forever. Every school has a few bad years, Churchills are coming up and I even believe Raymond had a hard time 3 or so years ago. The best thing about the state of basketball today is that its wide open. A number of teams are in the mix and have an opportunity to win. Whoever is playing the best come March will win provincials.
When it comes to the Calgary basketball classic no information is ever put out until a few days before the tournament. I'm sure if you took a poll of the coaches of the more competitive teams in Calgary most of them would prefer to not play in the basketball classic. too big of a tournament too early, low quality of basketball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:55 pm

Fall League - EYBA (edmonton youth basketball association) runs a juvenile age group (high school) that ends late October/early November. In the past this league has not been very competitive at all - community kids that might play on a high school jr team - however the last couple of years many community/club teams have entered high school versions of teams. These teams often have kids from other schools plus this league is done before any season of play issues start to arise for high school. You cannot play on two teams (community or otherwise) as part of the Edmonton Metro league rules if you play on a senior basketball team. We've never bothered - most of the kids are already playing VB and have enough on their plate.
As for Centennial, they have been a consistent top tier team in 4A for sure. They've sent a number of kids to post-secondary in both BB and VB (which has helped their program) - their coach has been involved with getting a lot of his players doing club BB plus they must have good feeder systems from jr. high. If they finished 3-1 @ provincials last year - thats pretty good. Raymond did have a good run until they hit Cardston.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Yeller

PostSubject: Calgary Preseason Rankings   Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:22 am

According to the Calgary Basketball Classic A draw:
1. Centennial
2. SWC
3. Aberhart
4. Bishop Grandin
5. Scarlett
6. Ernest Manning
7. St. Francis
8. St. Mary

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:11 pm

looks like centennial #1 in Calgary! Well we beat them all last season so we will do it some more!
Also see that Chinook and Cardston are in early Dec tournaments in Edmonton. Would say that Chinook will win up there but cant see Cardston making much noise this year! They only return 3 players from last years team and those 3 were not impact players. Looks like Raymond will be top 2 with Chinook this season and will battle it out for south zones and provincials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:55 pm

Round 1
Centenntial over Marys by a lot
Scarlett over Grandin by 2
Churchill over Francis by 10
Aberhart over Manning by 15

Round 2
Centennial over Scarlett by 15
Aberhart over Churchill by 5

Championship

Centennial over Aberhart by 3

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sigma

PostSubject: Calgary Basketball Classic   Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:52 am

Round 1
Centennial will beat Marys but I think it'll be under 15
Scarlett beats Grandin by 20+
Francis beats Churchill (under 5)
Aberhart beats Manning (under 5)

Round 2
Scarlett beats Centennial (2 pts)
Francis beats Aberhart (8 pts)

Round 3
Scarlett beats Francis (10 pts)

Just my thoughts.  I believe the parody in the Senior Girls division will be awesome this year.  Watch out for Bishop Carroll this year.  They were placed in Division 2 for the tournament but I think they will contend this year.  They are the sleeper team of the season.  Centennial is always tough but they are high on the radar for all schools so no one will ever take them lightly.

Last edited by Sigma on Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:30 am

Sigma, I mean Scarlett fan.
What the heck you smokin when you posted this ?
Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Exclamation Question Exclamation Question 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sigma

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:08 am

The good news is, you'll be happy to know that I don't smoke. I was just sharing an opinion. I know this may be hard to believe based on my picks but I'm not a Scarlett fan... I mean it's not like I hate them or anything but I'm not a fan. They had a very strong Junior team last year and several seniors coming back. They have a really good big in Grade 10 that is playing up. Don't get me wrong, I didn't bet my car on it... it was just a prediction predicated on rumors, history and pure speculation. The rankings done at the beginning of the year are by the coaches and athletic directors on what they think about their teams. Who ever is the best at the power of debate, gets their team ranked higher for the Calgary Classic. The rankings have no real facts behind them accept for the coaches opinions. With that said, I still think Scarlett is going to win. I may not have the point spread correct but the great thing about that is I don't work for Sports Select part time so I won't lose my job if I'm wrong about the spread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:54 am

I dont think anyone cares that you have Scarlett winning. I think its more the fact that you have Churchill losing in the first round to Francis and then losing again to Francis in the second round but then have Churchill losing to Scarlett in the final. Just shows you didn't event think about your picks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sigma

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:09 pm

It's corrected. Wow, people on this site are very sensitive. What's with all the negative energy. I screwed up typing my picks. Sheeesh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Girls - Teams to Watch   Today at 4:49 pm

Back to top Go down

Girls - Teams to Watch
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next