HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

New Season of South Hoops

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: New Season of South Hoops   Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:19 pm

Does anyone have any idea how the Southern Alberta High School Basketball League is going to operate this year. WC is hosting 3A so for sure are going to be declaring 3A. WR Myers have dropped out of the league so they can stay 3A. I also understand that Kainai has followed so they don't get shoved into 4A. How is this going to work? Any information would be great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Season of South Hoops   Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:55 pm

?

Last edited by seenandcalled on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : hacked)
Back to top Go down
southball

PostSubject: Re: New Season of South Hoops   Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:41 am

This season the south 4A league will be playing every team twice. Back to the old format of one home and one away for each school. Myers and Kainai dropped. Too bad for Myers have fun traveling to Med Hat for all your games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Season of South Hoops   Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:22 pm

The way I understand it is that 8 teams have to declare 4A according to league bylaws. How does that work with WC hosting the 3A provincials? Is there an exception this year for WC to play 3A?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: New Season of South Hoops   Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:20 pm

Has Myers fallen that far? They used to have a very solid 4A program. One provincial championship?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Season of South Hoops   Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:32 pm

I wouldn't say the have fallen that far. They beat LCI early last year but unfortunately lost their leading scorer for the middle part of the season due to a concussion and ended up about .500 in the league. They still won the south 3A zone banner and I think they came in the top 8 in 3A provincials. I know they believe they can be a perennial provincials participants in 3A considering they basically only have to beat Crescent Heights, McCoy and Kate Andrews to earn a 3A provincials berth from the south zone so they left the league so they wouldn't get forced back into 4A and miss out on that opportunity. The problem is that they now play much weaker league games against teams like Eagle Butte and Brooks (who happen to be 4A) so they better get into some good tournaments. The top 4 or 5 3A are generally really strong teams who can compete and are able to win against the top 10 4A teams but the volume of good teams playing 3A year in and year out is very limited and so much less than what 4A has to offer in the province.

The big question is why would the league think it was better to have Myers leave rather than allow them to play 3A?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
southball

PostSubject: Myers   Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:31 pm

Myers really hasn't fallen that far, but they will now. Looking at last years team they had 3 grade 12s playing for other schools (2 at LCI and 1 in Raymond). Add those 3 back into the Myers fold and in all likelihood they would have been in the zone final against Cardston. The real question is what they are doing to try and hold onto their players. Their junior high program is all about fairness and equality, and kids that come through Barnwell are the ones that are transferring to other schools rather than staying at Myers. Many Barnwell kids play spring ball with the jr. Horns and I would expect that the transfer to LCI from Barnwell will continue now that Myers has decided to play in a league that no one cares about. The best players will go to a place where they can play against the best competition. Myers sure isn't the program that it was from about 96-03. They were consistently a top ten 4A school in those years and capped it with a provincial championship in 02. Too bad, I hate to see them drop into another league, I hope they regret the decision to join mediocrity and come back ready to play up next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Season of South Hoops   Today at 12:47 am

Back to top Go down

New Season of South Hoops
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1