HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top 10 Class of 2016 Players

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
VanJV

PostSubject: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:04 am

I decided to make this top 10 list only to show other coaches who I think may be the best players in BC right now in this class. Also this is only my personal opinion so please feel free to criticize or make any changes.

1.Izaiah Ugoalah/Churchill                              
2.Howard Wang/Kitsilano
  Ethan Scott/St.Georges (If reclassify)
4.Matt Lafontaine/Kelowna
5. Karn Virk/Churchill
6.Parker Simson/Kelowna
7.Harry Liu/Churchill
8.Hunter Hughes/Southridge
9.Alec Bayne/Kitsilano
10.Justin McChesney/Charles Hays

Last edited by VanJV on Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesssworth

PostSubject: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:49 pm

Here's my list.

1.Izaiah Ugoalah/Churchill
2.Parker Simson/Kelowna
3.Howard Wang/Kitsilano
4.Matt LaFontaine/Kelowna
5.Ethan Scott/St.Georges (If reclassify)
6.Karn Virk/Churchill
7.Harry Liu/Churchill
8.Hunter Hughes/Southridge
9.Alec Bayne/Kitsilano
10.Justin McChesney/Charles Hays or Nav Sandhu/Kelowna or Ido Gortler/McMath
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D38Coach

PostSubject: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:32 pm

1. Izaiah Ugoalah/Churchill
2. Parker Simson/Kelowna
3. Howard Wang/Kitsilano
4. Matt LaFontaine/Kelowna
5. Lambert Pajayon/Churchill
6. Ethan Scott/St. Georges (if reclassify)
7. Karn Virk/Churchill
8. Kenya Gerald/Kitsilano
9. Marko Stojanovic/Palmer
10. Harry Liu/Churchill

Honorable Mention:
Hunter Hughes/Southridge
Alec Bayne/Kitsilano
Ido Gortler/McMath
Wei Chung/Walnut Grove
Nav Sandhu/Kelowna
Josiah Branker/McMath
Riley Braich/Yale
Dominic Clayton/Southridge
Sam Evanson/Unknown(reclassified)
Gabriel Laza/Terry Fox

Back to top Go down
View user profile
VanJV

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:27 pm

D38Coach wrote:
2. Parker Simson/Kelowna
3. Howard Wang/Kitsilano
7. Karn Virk/Churchill
10. Harry Liu/Churchill

Honorable Mention:
Hunter Hughes/Southridge
Alec Bayne/Kitsilano
Ido Gortler/McMath
Wei Chung/Walnut Grove
Nav Sandhu/Kelowna
Josiah Branker/McMath
Riley Braich/Yale
Gabriel Laza/Terry Fox

I don't think Lambert Pajayton,Kenya Gerald and Marko Stojanovic are top 10 players, simply because when I watched them play in the AAU they weren't able to do what they were doing in Canada and apply the same skill sets against Americans. Yes, they are great players in Canada, but when I say top 10 of this class, I mean it as simply the top 10 players that are great both in Canada and America. A player that's able to make a difference for the team none the less of where he plays. But thank you for your list.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D38Coach

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:37 pm

VanJV wrote:
D38Coach wrote:
2. Parker Simson/Kelowna
3. Howard Wang/Kitsilano
7. Karn Virk/Churchill
10. Harry Liu/Churchill

Honorable Mention:
Hunter Hughes/Southridge
Alec Bayne/Kitsilano
Ido Gortler/McMath
Wei Chung/Walnut Grove
Nav Sandhu/Kelowna
Josiah Branker/McMath
Riley Braich/Yale
Gabriel Laza/Terry Fox

I don't think Lambert Pajayton,Kenya Gerald and Marko Stojanovic are top 10 players, simply because when I watched them play in the AAU they weren't able to do what they were doing in Canada and apply the same skill sets against Americans. Yes, they are great players in Canada, but when I say top 10 of this class, I mean it as simply the top 10 players that are great both in Canada and America. A player that's able to make a difference for the team none the less of where he plays. But thank you for your list.
So you think Harry Liu can compete against the American level. Please.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D38Coach

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:40 pm

VanJV wrote:
D38Coach wrote:
2. Parker Simson/Kelowna
3. Howard Wang/Kitsilano
7. Karn Virk/Churchill
10. Harry Liu/Churchill

Honorable Mention:
Hunter Hughes/Southridge
Alec Bayne/Kitsilano
Ido Gortler/McMath
Wei Chung/Walnut Grove
Nav Sandhu/Kelowna
Josiah Branker/McMath
Riley Braich/Yale
Gabriel Laza/Terry Fox

If I told you back then James Lum was a top 10 player you probably wouldn't believe either. Where do you coach? U10 Rep team? Please be more logical.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VanJV

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:19 pm

D38Coach wrote:
VanJV wrote:
D38Coach wrote:
2. Parker Simson/Kelowna
3. Howard Wang/Kitsilano
7. Karn Virk/Churchill
10. Harry Liu/Churchill

Honorable Mention:
Hunter Hughes/Southridge
Alec Bayne/Kitsilano
Ido Gortler/McMath
Wei Chung/Walnut Grove
Nav Sandhu/Kelowna
Josiah Branker/McMath
Riley Braich/Yale
Gabriel Laza/Terry Fox

If I told you back then James Lum was a top 10 player you probably wouldn't believe either. Where do you coach? U10 Rep team? Please be more logical.
When I was watching DRIVE U15 Elite, where Harry Liu, Kenya Gerald and Marko Stojanovic plays, all I see is Harry Liu on the court, grabbing rebound, scoring baskets, and Kenya Gerald and Marko Stojanovic sitting on the bench. Even when both players do play, they don't do much to contribute.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Class   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:22 pm

Ethan Scott is not in this class - he is in grade 11. You cannot reclassify in high school in BC. After grade 12 Ethan will likely play a post grad year at a US prep so that he doesn't have to begin university at 17 yrs old (he is 15 now). At that point he will reclassify to the 2016 class.

The confusion may have come because he chose to play for Drive's U15 AAU team for the final two tournaments this summer for which he is age eligible. Prior to that, Ethan started for Drive's U16 team. Given the number of US and Ontario players who play even lower than their age group, it doesn't make sense for a player to play above his age group unless he is entirely outclassing it.

Can't say I agree with these rankings, but it is good to see the names spelled correctly.... though Izaiah is the top of this group.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pmhs

PostSubject: most accurate list   Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:56 am

1.Izaiah
2.Howard
3.Parker
4.Harry
5.Alec
6.Tristan.Mathews
7.Karn
8.Lambert
9.Wei
10.Marko
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.HG

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:49 pm

1) Izaiah Ugoalah/Churchill
2) Matt Lafontaine/Kelowna
3) Karn Virk/Churchill
4) Parker Simpson/Kelowna
5) Harry Liu/Churchill
6) Cosmo Christianson/Kitsilano
7) Hunter Hughes/Southridge
8 ) Riley Braich/Yale
9) Marko Stojanovic/Palmer
10) Kenya Gerald/Kitsilano

This top 10 list was easy to make, every player was considered throughout BC and I chose the top 10 based on their overall game. Each of them are strong candidates for MVP in the provincial tournaments, and are the main reasons for their teams success.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
van.island.ball

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:31 pm

Coach.HG wrote:
3) Karn Virk/Churchill
5) Harry Liu/Churchill
8 ) Riley Braich/Yale

This top 10 list was easy to make, every player was considered throughout BC and I chose the top 10 based on their overall game. Each of them are strong candidates for MVP in the provincial tournaments, and are the main reasons for their teams success.

Thank you, finally a list i can agree with. Ever since his standout performance in last years gr 9 provincials, i am shocked at how little recognition cosmo christansin is getting. His size and strength make him a unique talent in b-c. the number of true big men who have a solid low post game seems to get lower every year, but cosmo's post arsenal is lethal, leaving defenders lost in their tracks. But even more rare is a big man with a low post game combined with lights out three point shooting. Christinsin can knock down shot after shot from the three point arc, and even a little deeper. I have never seen such a unique skill set for a high school player. With his high volume scoring ability, matched with his height, strength and athleticism, I would say he is comparable to a much bulkier/stonger and better defending Kevin Durant. But that's just half the coin, you get the full dollar with cosmo. Cosmo can guard any position on the floor, and is a menace on the low block, forcing opponents to alter shots close to the rim. To add on, his tenacity to chase down any ball, and get physical on the boards makes him the best rebounder in the province. His willingniss to sacrifice his body and do whatever it takes to win, no matter the cost make Christiansin a cant miss prospect and a top 5 player in b-c.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:14 am

van.island.ball wrote:
Coach.HG wrote:
3) Karn Virk/Churchill
5) Harry Liu/Churchill
8 ) Riley Braich/Yale

Thank you, finally a list i can agree with. Ever since his standout performance in last years gr 9 provincials, i am shocked at how little recognition cosmo christansin is getting. His size and strength make him a unique talent in b-c. the number of true big men who have a solid low post game seems to get lower every year, but cosmo's post arsenal is lethal, leaving defenders lost in their tracks. But even more rare is a big man with a low post game combined with lights out three point shooting. Christinsin can knock down shot after shot from the three point arc, and even a little deeper. I have never seen such a unique skill set for a high school player. With his high volume scoring ability, matched with his height, strength and athleticism, I would say he is comparable to a much bulkier/stonger and better defending Kevin Durant. But that's just half the coin, you get the full dollar with cosmo. Cosmo can guard any position on the floor, and is a menace on the low block, forcing opponents to alter shots close to the rim.  To add on, his tenacity to chase down any ball, and get physical on the boards makes him the best rebounder in the province. His willingniss to sacrifice his body and do whatever it takes to win, no matter the cost make Christiansin a cant miss prospect and a top 5 player in b-c.

Saw a few of these kids play at the Legal Beagle:
Parker Simson - phenomenal..he had 23 in the first half..finished with 27. Kid is 190lbs already. Needs to improve his ball handling but I was really impressed.

Riley Braich - didn't score much but had some good looks, you can tell he knows how to play the game and doesn't panic at all despite playing against bigger guys.

Kenya Gerald - struggled in the 1st half vs. Kelowna and got into early foul trouble. Missed a few takes to the hoop but picked it up in the second half. Also think he needs to improve with ball handling as he lost/fumbled the ball a few times in transition.

I have no clue who Cosmo is? Saw their Jr team play in our tournament and I don't recall there being a Cosmo? Is he playing up? If so, don't think I saw a big kid aside from Hokanson out there for Kits.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bchoopscoop.ca
Hooplife

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:33 pm

How about the following from tamanawis: Sagar Dulay, Aminder Basra and Sahil Dhami ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fair-Bball

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:03 am

Hooplife wrote:
How about the following from tamanawis: Sagar Dulay, Aminder Basra and Sahil Dhami ?

Yes, I agreed they should be included on the list of top Jrs in BC for class of year 2016.

All three have played great basketball so far this year. Tammy has played two tournaments this year (Kwantlen and Terry Fox) and they dominated through both tournaments.

At the Kwantlen Tournament Basra#9 was MVP and Dulay #15 was the First Team All Star.  

At Terry Fox tournament, both Dulay and Basra were close to being double/double in each game against top teams in BC including Kelowna, Oak Bay and Vancouver College.  Too bad Dhami #21 got hurt in final game against Kelowna, otherwise they would have won the game.

Basra is 6’-1” is one of the top power forward in BC who can drive at his will and score and is very physical on defense side. On other hand Dulay 6’-2”,  has  pure point guard skills and sees the court so well with an amazing ability to find open players and also is a pure shooter as was evidenced in final game at Kwantlen College Tournament vs Panorama Ridge. Dhami 6’-3”  is a very physical player at both ends of court and appears to bring a lot of energy to each game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox941

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:17 pm

I agree that three from Tamanawis are very effective players.... however, Fair BBall... i disagree with your team assessment... at our Tournament... they should have closed out the final game... up 9 with 2 mins left... they turned the ball over 5 straight possessions... and they didn't dominate Kelowna in the final or Oak Bay in the earlier round....but they are a top junior team for sure....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hooplife

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:21 pm

In my opinion Basra should be the top 5 player in BC forsure, And Dulay is almost in the that top 10 list as well, just needs to increase his stamina, Dhami should also be in that top 10 list. Just my opinion
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachV

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:06 am

1.) Izaiah Ugoalah/Churchill
2.) Matt Lafontaine/Kelowna (97 born)
3.) Parker Simpson/Kelowna
4.) Karn virk/Churchill
5.) Howard Wang/ Kits
6.) Riley Braich/Yale
7.) Harry Liu/Churchill
8.) Hunter Hughes/Southridge
9.) Kenya Gerald/Kits
10.) justin McChesney/Charles Hayes

HM:
Marco stojanovic/Palmer
Tristan Mathews/Van west
Chase Claypool/Abby
Alex Ray/Holy Cross
Gabe laza/ terry fox
Alec bain/kits

Have watched kits play a few times and have no clue who Cosmo is...
But from what I've seen so far this season these rankings are very accurate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
c-lo

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:53 pm

I don't watch enough games to rank them all but here are few names to watch:

Terrell Jana/STM (Varsity)
Wei Chung/Walnut Grove
Chase Claypool/Abbottsford (Varsity)
Noah Charles/Brentwood?
Keenan Dowell/BC Christian (Varsity)
Colin McGrath/Kelowna
Alex Asperin/Holy Cross
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Valley23

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:35 pm

Colin Kellington - 6th man for Sardis Sr Boys. Played Senior as a grade 9 last year. Scored 19 pts against Mouat in a league game last week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:53 pm

TOP 2016s

My Top 10 2016s + HM.
(These 2016s all played Sr. ball this year, and since I am most familiar with the Sr. teams my list only includes those players playing up and is based on there play during this current high school season)
1. Harry Liu/Churchill
2. Izaiah Ugoalah/Churchill
3. Parker Simpson/Kelowna
4. Karn Virk/Churchill
5. Alec Bayne/Kits
6. Lambert Pajayon/Churchill
7. Alex Asperin/Holy Cross
8. Riley Braich/Yale
9. Chase Claypool/Abbottsford
10. Kenya Gerald/Kits
HM. Terrell Jana/STM
HM. Hunter Hughes/Southridge
HM. Nav Sandhu/Kelowna
HM. Wei Chung/Walnut Grove
HM. Dominic Clayton/Southridge

Other Top 2016s.
(These 2016s are players I have not seen play enough to make a judgement, Lafontaine and Wang would be Top 10 but one played Jr so I didn't see much of him and the other has not been eligible most of the season)
Matt Lafontaine/Kelowna
Colin McGrath/Kelowna
Howard Wang/Kits
Justin Melnychuk/St. Ann's
Keenan Dowell/BC Christian
Justin McChesney/Charles Hayes
Matija Gabrillo/Churchill
Marco Stojanovic/Palmer
Tristan Mathews/Van west
Gabriel Laza/Terry Fox
Ido Gortler/McMath
Josiah Branker/McMath
Aminder Basra/Tamanawis
Sagar Dulay/Tamanawis
Colin Kellington/Sardis

Last edited by JesusShuttlesworth on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
c-lo

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:11 pm

@JesusShuttlesworth...I know you just saw Terrell Jana receive a first team all-star at the Holy Cross tourney and he was the second leading scorer for STM against a loaded Holy Cross team? How do you rank him so low? For example, Alex Asperin (a good player no doubt) didnt make either of last year's BC U15 teams while Terrell was the starting PG for the Blue Team. Hunter Hughes prob should be higher also...thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:26 pm

c-lo wrote:
@JesusShuttlesworth...I know you just saw Terrell Jana receive a first team all-star at the Holy Cross tourney and he was the second leading  scorer for STM against a loaded Holy Cross team?  How do you rank him so low?  For example, Alex Asperin (a good player no doubt) didnt make either of last year's BC U15 teams while Terrell was the starting PG for the Blue Team.  Hunter Hughes prob should be higher also...thoughts?

No offense to anyone, but my list is just personal preference, Terrell Jana is a fantastic PG, and will continue to grow into an even better player over the next years, he is definitely a top player among the 2016s, along with Hunter Hughes another great player, I only knock them down a little as they play in a lower tier and have not faced as high a level in weekly competition as some of the other players on my list in my opinion, all showed they can play at a high level consistently against top competition. Again this is just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt, haha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:15 pm

c-lo wrote:

Wei Chung/Walnut Grove
Noah Charles/Brentwood?
Colin McGrath/Kelowna
Alex Asperin/Holy Cross

There is ANOTHER Charles brother? Man, they're a basketball playing clan!

I'd also like to throw Justin Melnychuk's name into the top 2016 pool. Great player playing senior for St. Ann's Academy in Kamloops.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:28 pm

okanaganbball wrote:
c-lo wrote:

Wei Chung/Walnut Grove
Noah Charles/Brentwood?
Colin McGrath/Kelowna
Alex Asperin/Holy Cross

There is ANOTHER Charles brother? Man, they're a basketball playing clan!

I'd also like to throw Justin Melnychuk's name into the top 2016 pool. Great player playing senior for St. Ann's Academy in Kamloops.

I know right, the Charles bros. Jordan, Josh and now Noah a great basketball family, the Island is lucky to have them, haven't seen Noah play but I hear he's as big as his brother Josh already and FYI I forgot but he's only a 9th grader or 2017 not 2016.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VanJV

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:11 am

Just out of curiosity how did Cosmo Christensen of Kits made any of the top ten lists. I've been lucky enough to watch Kits Jr play twice this year when they played Grove and Palmer. I also watched last years Grade 9 provincial tournament, but this guy is definitely not a top 10 player by any chance. He was sitting at the end of the bench last year in the provincial for most part. And in both Palmer and Grove game this year he didn't seem to make any contribution to the team whatsoever. During the Grove and Palmer I did see two other players from Kits Jr that did played extremely well at both of the games and I believe both of them were two of the starters from last years Kits provincial team. But other than that I honestly don't see how Christensen made your top list. I'm sorry that I'm criticizing a kid thats 15 or 16 but how did he make your list of top 10, please explain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Today at 9:03 pm

Back to top Go down

Top 10 Class of 2016 Players
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next