HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top 10 Class of 2016 Players

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
VanJV

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:11 am

Just out of curiosity how did Cosmo Christensen of Kits made any of the top ten lists. I've been lucky enough to watch Kits Jr play twice this year when they played Grove and Palmer. I also watched last years Grade 9 provincial tournament, but this guy is definitely not a top 10 player by any chance. He was sitting at the end of the bench last year in the provincial for most part. And in both Palmer and Grove game this year he didn't seem to make any contribution to the team whatsoever. During the Grove and Palmer I did see two other players from Kits Jr that did played extremely well at both of the games and I believe both of them were two of the starters from last years Kits provincial team. But other than that I honestly don't see how Christensen made your top list. I'm sorry that I'm criticizing a kid thats 15 or 16 but how did he make your list of top 10, please explain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BCTopProspects

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:24 am

VanJV wrote:
Just out of curiosity how did Cosmo Christensen of Kits made any of the top ten lists. I've been lucky enough to watch Kits Jr play twice this year when they played Grove and Palmer. I also watched last years Grade 9 provincial tournament, but this guy is definitely not a top 10 player by any chance. He was sitting at the end of the bench last year in the provincial for most part. And in both Palmer and Grove game this year he didn't seem to make any contribution to the team whatsoever. During the Grove and Palmer I did see two other players from Kits Jr that did played extremely well at both of the games and I believe both of them were two of the starters from last years Kits provincial team. But other than that I honestly don't see how Christensen made your top list. I'm sorry that I'm criticizing a kid thats 15 or 16 but how did he make your list of top 10, please explain.

To me, it appears that at least one of those posts regarding Cosmo is from a fabricated user. van.island.bball says "he is comparable to a much bulkier/stonger and better defending Kevin Durant" and goes on to deliver outlandish praise. I don't want to jump to any false accusations, but those are just my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:16 am

BCTopProspects wrote:
VanJV wrote:

To me, it appears that at least one of those posts regarding Cosmo is from a fabricated user.  van.island.bball says "he is comparable to a much bulkier/stonger and better defending Kevin Durant" and goes on to deliver outlandish praise. I don't want to jump to any false accusations, but those are just my thoughts.

Not to mention Coach.HG and van.island.ball, the two accounts that mention Cosmo, were created on the same day, Jan 11, 2014, each has one post and both have the "." separating the parts of their usernames.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:04 am

BCTopProspects wrote:

To me, it appears that at least one of those posts regarding Cosmo is from a fabricated user.  van.island.bball says "he is comparable to a much bulkier/stonger and better defending Kevin Durant" and goes on to deliver outlandish praise. I don't want to jump to any false accusations, but those are just my thoughts.

With the "comparison" to Kevin Durant, I think I know which kid Cosmo is - he's the 3rd or 4th option on the Kits team (assuming it's who I think it is).  I would throw Kits' Vincent Cao into the top-15 mix, definitely above Lambert and Asperin (IMO). Edward Lu from STMis another name to put out there. Edit: Cosmo ISN'T who I thought he was.

According to his twitter feed, Howard Wang is eligible and may have played in the game on Monday - may go by Winderemere tonight to watch him play.

Only based off what I've actually seen (not taking potential into account):
1.) Harry Liu - Churchill
2.) Izaiah Ugoalah - Churchill
3.) Parker Simson - Kelowna
4.) Karn Virk - Churchill
5.) Alec Bayne - Kitsilano
6.) Kenya Gerald - Kitsilano
7.) Riley Braich - Yale
8.) Nav Sandhu - Kelowna
9.) Vincent Cao - Kitsilano
10.) Edward Lu - STM

Not taking past club play or anything else into consideration, strictly based off what I've seen this season.

Last edited by Coach Yash on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bchoopscoop.ca
c-lo

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:44 pm

okanaganbball wrote:
c-lo wrote:
I don't watch enough games to rank them all but here are few names to watch:

Terrell Jana/STM (Varsity)
Wei Chung/Walnut Grove
Chase Claypool/Abbottsford (Varsity)
Noah Charles/Brentwood?
Keenan Dowell/BC Christian (Varsity)
Colin McGrath/Kelowna
Alex Asperin/Holy Cross

There is ANOTHER Charles brother? Man, they're a basketball playing clan!

I'd also like to throw Justin Melnychuk's name into the top 2016 pool. Great player playing senior for St. Ann's Academy in Kamloops.

ya definitely a talented family. I watched him Noah play last summer with Team BC and in the JV provincials...quite a different game than his brothers. He's a true post, good rebounder, limited range and deceptively quick feet for his size. He may well end up being the bigges of the 3 when it's all said and done.

@JesusShuttlesworth you're one of my favourite posters and you always try to have an unbiased opinion. I have to disagree with you on Terrell Jana though. You play whoever is in front of you. Being in AAA should not be a factor in rating a player lower if you've seen them step up against better competition. He is a grade 10 PG, playing on a limited roster and he held his own against Taylor Browne / Joquin B-B probably the best AAAA backcourt in BC. If anything, he should have folded in that situation but instead played well enough to be rewarded with an all-star.

Besides, playing a level down doesn't mean that your skill is less...Alex Hart, Colby Meier, Jordan Charles, Ryan Lintell, Andrew Morris, Denzel Laguerta...etc Two years ago, STM lost to Fox by 3 and Walnut Grove by 4 in consecutive games...both those teams were a division higher and went on to play in the AAA final.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:45 pm

c-lo wrote:

ya definitely a talented family.  I watched him Noah play last summer with Team BC and in the JV provincials...quite a different game than his brothers.  He's a true post, good rebounder, limited range and deceptively quick feet for his size.  He may well end up being the bigges of the 3 when it's all said and done.

@JesusShuttlesworth you're one of my favourite posters and you always try to have an unbiased opinion.  I have to disagree with you on Terrell Jana though.  You play whoever is in front of you.  Being in AAA should not be a factor in rating a player lower if you've seen them step up against better competition.  He is a grade 10 PG, playing on a limited roster and he held his own against Taylor Browne / Joquin B-B probably the best AAAA backcourt in BC.   If anything, he should have folded in that situation but instead played well enough to be rewarded with an all-star.  

Besides, playing a level down doesn't mean that your skill is less...Alex Hart, Colby Meier, Jordan Charles, Ryan Lintell, Andrew Morris, Denzel Laguerta...etc  Two years ago, STM lost to Fox by 3 and Walnut Grove by 4 in consecutive games...both those teams were a division higher and went on to play in the AAA final.

I agree with you on Terrell Jana, he is really talented, and did a great job stepping up vs. Holy Cross in the Catholics final, hitting some big 3's in the game, and being a steadying force in the STM back court. Again it was just my opinion I've seen the other 2016 guards play consistently vs. top 10 competition, and they are all on highly ranked teams playing important minutes, just for me I'd take Lambert, Alex, Riley over Terrell in those minutes if I had to, nothing against Terrell I'm just higher on the others. And I also agree playing a level down doesn't mean that your skill is less, I'm not trying to knock AAA, AA, A competition I know their are great players on those teams, but realistically the top 10 4A teams this year would be heavily favored vs. any of the top teams in any other tier. There have been years in the past when top teams in the AA would regularly challenge and beat top AAA teams(ie. Mission, STM, SMU...), but this year I don't believe that is the case with the lower tiers vs the top AAAA teams.

Love the debate though, wish more people would be as passionate about players and voice their opinions, that's what forums like these are designed for, back players you like and teams you root for, the more opinions and insight the better for all of us to learn about and become excited about the local BC high school basketball scene.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
c-lo

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:56 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
c-lo wrote:

ya definitely a talented family.  I watched him Noah play last summer with Team BC and in the JV provincials...quite a different game than his brothers.  He's a true post, good rebounder, limited range and deceptively quick feet for his size.  He may well end up being the bigges of the 3 when it's all said and done.

@JesusShuttlesworth you're one of my favourite posters and you always try to have an unbiased opinion.  I have to disagree with you on Terrell Jana though.  You play whoever is in front of you.  Being in AAA should not be a factor in rating a player lower if you've seen them step up against better competition.  He is a grade 10 PG, playing on a limited roster and he held his own against Taylor Browne / Joquin B-B probably the best AAAA backcourt in BC.   If anything, he should have folded in that situation but instead played well enough to be rewarded with an all-star.  

Besides, playing a level down doesn't mean that your skill is less...Alex Hart, Colby Meier, Jordan Charles, Ryan Lintell, Andrew Morris, Denzel Laguerta...etc  Two years ago, STM lost to Fox by 3 and Walnut Grove by 4 in consecutive games...both those teams were a division higher and went on to play in the AAA final.

I agree with you on Terrell Jana, he is really talented, and did a great job stepping up vs. Holy Cross in the Catholics final, hitting some big 3's in the game, and being a steadying force in the STM back court. Again it was just my opinion I've seen the other 2016 guards play consistently vs. top 10 competition, and they are all on highly ranked teams playing important minutes, just for me I'd take Lambert, Alex, Riley over Terrell in those minutes if I had to, nothing against Terrell I'm just higher on the others. And I also agree playing a level down doesn't mean that your skill is less, I'm not trying to knock AAA, AA, A competition I know their are great players on those teams, but realistically the top 10 4A teams this year would be heavily favored vs. any of the top teams in any other tier. There have been years in  the past when top teams in the AA would regularly challenge and beat top AAA teams(ie. Mission, STM, SMU...), but this year I don't believe that is the case with the lower tiers vs the top AAAA teams.

Love the debate though, wish more people would be as passionate about players and voice their opinions, that's what forums like these are designed for, back players you like and teams you root for, the more opinions and insight the better for all of us to learn about and become excited about the local BC high school basketball scene.

Agreed, good debate. The issue is that people tend to get emotionally attached and stop respecting each other. Nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree sometimes ;-) There's definately alot more talent in the 2016 group than we were ALL aware of even a few years ago. BC ball is in good hands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pmhs

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:39 pm

Good list JS
I would def put Wang and Matthews in the top 10 and take out your # 8 and #10
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ScoutFocus

Location : Spokane, Washington, British Columbia, Canada, Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:37 am

c-lo wrote:
okanaganbball wrote:
c-lo wrote:
I don't watch enough games to rank them all but here are few names to watch:

Terrell Jana/STM (Varsity)
Wei Chung/Walnut Grove
Chase Claypool/Abbottsford (Varsity)
Noah Charles/Brentwood?
Keenan Dowell/BC Christian (Varsity)
Colin McGrath/Kelowna
Alex Asperin/Holy Cross

There is ANOTHER Charles brother? Man, they're a basketball playing clan!

I'd also like to throw Justin Melnychuk's name into the top 2016 pool. Great player playing senior for St. Ann's Academy in Kamloops.

Although playing a level down means you're not playing the highest level there are, therefore you might look like your better than you actually are because the level of competition is not quite the same
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachV

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:09 am

Watched Churchill vs Yale which included 4 of the top ten 2016's

Braich and lui impressed me the most both ending with 15-16 a piece.

Lui:knocked down some huge shots in the comeback and is physically bigger than the other 3

Braich: impressed me with a strong handle breaking there press pretty easily. Physically still a little weak but makes up with a very skilled game

Ugoalah: Had around 6-7 points. Mostly easy layups. Didn't do much on offence. Very good length and grabbed some big offensive rebounds. Very tall and long for a grade 10.

Virk: Didn't play as much as the other 3. Don't remember him scoring or doing much.

Based on what I've seen I would have
1.) lui
2.) braich
3.) ugoalah
4.) virk
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lovethegame321415

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:04 pm

To all the people talking about noah charles and are going to start watching him, don't get your hopes up. His brothers are both way better than him when they were in grade 10. Noah may be the biggest but is definitely the least skilled.
I have an opinion on some VI players who may not be top 10 but deserve some recognition in top 15.
Myka Tang-Blumenshein on Oak bay is having a great year playing up for the seniors, averaging about 13 ppg on a talented Oak Bay team. He is a great shooter with lots of athleticism and is quite a calm, cool, and collected player.
Thomas Weatherby from Gulf Islands is also having an exceptional year. He has almost nothing to work with on his team but from the games I've seen he scored 28 against brentwood, 30 against timberline, and 26 against parklands. He is a knockdown shooter and can expect 3-4 three's a game, also has great vision of the court. He has also has had a ton of steals, with 12 in a game and also 10 in a game.
Asher Leonen from PCS is a great athlete with exceptional finishing skills. His season high is 42 in league against Spectrum, he can also shoot the ball and pass the ball quite well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hardwork beats talent

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:00 pm

@lovethegame321415 I don't fully agree with you, Asher is on a team where he is allowed to take any shot he wants because no one else on the is capable of scoring, that being said asher is still very athletic and is an average shooter but you have to take into account that asher was playing spectrum, spectrum is not a very good team(maybe 6th best team in Victoria). The same is to be said for Tomas except Tomas is much better than asher in most areas of the game except athletic wise

I have to say myka's summary is spot on, he is a very good shooter and he is surprisingly athletic

But you have left out four great and underrated players on the island

Ben Reddy, Humza Chan, Connor Hayer and Ty Adams

Lambrick park: Ben Reddy is probably the most athletic player on the island, I have seen him dunk on my son's team in Lambrick's Christmas tournament, he had 41 points in that same game And 37 vs GW Graham, he is not afraid of big moments, he has hit 4 game winners this year against oak bay, Graham and mt. Doug twice. He's about 6'4" with a 6'8" armspan and plays the Shooting Guard but he is only about 165ibs and that is his biggest down side

Lambrick park:Ty Adams is no doubt the best defender on the island, he held asher to 0 points and forced him to make 7 turnovers, he's about 6'4" 190 and is very physical, he is very quick laterally and can stay in front of almost player in the province, and he can jump for a man of his size and his offensive game is no joke, he can hold his line to the hoop and is an amazing finisher

Cowichan: Humza Chan has a flat out amazing mid range game which is rare for Jr basketball, he is about 5'10" and 140, he is very quick and has great ball handling skills, he can hit off balance shots so easily

Cowichan: Connor Hayer is a cold blooded shooter who has the build of a post player, he is not to light on his feet but he is very crafty and has and amazing hook shot, he also has good guard skills but his downfall is his speed

So my island rankings are as follows:
1. Ben Reddy (lambrick) or Humza Chan (cowichan)
2. Myka Tang (oak bay)
3. Noah Charles (cowichan)
4. Tomas Weatherby (GISS)
5. Ty Adams (Lambrick)
6. Connor Hayer (cowichan)
7. Asher (PCS)
8. Tyler schindel (lambrick)
9. Kobe Morris (spectrum)
10. Max Reed (Dover bay)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lovethegame321415

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:20 pm

hardwork beats talent wrote:
@lovethegame321415 I don't fully agree with you, Asher is on a team where he is allowed to take any shot he wants because no one else on the is capable of scoring, that being said asher is still very athletic and is an average shooter but you have to take into account that asher was playing spectrum, spectrum is not a very good team(maybe 6th best team in Victoria). The same is to be said for Tomas except Tomas is much better than asher in most areas of the game except athletic wise

I have to say myka's summary is spot on, he is a very good shooter and he is surprisingly athletic

But you have left out four great and underrated players on the island

Ben Reddy, Humza Chan, Connor Hayer and Ty Adams

Lambrick park: Ben Reddy is probably the most athletic player on the island, I have seen him dunk on my son's team in Lambrick's Christmas tournament, he had 41 points in that same game And 37 vs GW Graham, he is not afraid of big moments, he has hit 4 game winners this year against oak bay, Graham and mt. Doug twice. He's about 6'4" with a 6'8" armspan and plays the Shooting Guard but he is only about 165ibs and that is his biggest down side

Lambrick park:Ty Adams is no doubt the best defender on the island, he held asher to 0 points and forced him to make 7 turnovers, he's about 6'4" 190 and is very physical, he is very quick laterally and can stay in front of almost player in the province, and he can jump for a man of his size and his offensive game is no joke, he can hold his line to the hoop and is an amazing finisher

Cowichan: Humza Chan has a flat out amazing mid range game which is rare for Jr basketball, he is about 5'10" and 140, he is very quick and has great ball handling skills, he can hit off balance shots so easily

Cowichan: Connor Hayer is a cold blooded shooter who has the build of a post player, he is not to light on his feet but he is very crafty and has and amazing hook shot, he also has good guard skills but his downfall is his speed

So my island rankings are as follows:
1. Ben Reddy (lambrick) or Humza Chan (cowichan)
2. Myka Tang (oak bay)
3. Noah Charles (cowichan)
4. Tomas Weatherby (GISS)
5. Ty Adams (Lambrick)
6. Connor Hayer (cowichan)
7. Asher (PCS)
8. Tyler schindel (lambrick)
9. Kobe Morris (spectrum)
10. Max Reed (Dover bay)

I agree 100% with everything you just said. Asher and Tomas both have little to work with on their team so I get how they can take a lot of shots.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hardwork beats talent

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:42 pm

Top 20 island players as of Feb 3
1. Ben Reddy and Humza Chan
2. Noah Charles
3. Myka Tang
4. Tomas Weatherby
5. Ty Adams
6. Connor Hayer
7. Asher Leonen
8. Kobe Morris
9. Max Reed
10. Tyler schindel (injured)
11. Evan Reynolds
12. Martin Eckard
13. Tatum Montague
14. Jacob Dihn
15. Van jereos
16. Harjot Gill
17. Zach Manns
18. Trey Crust
19. Johan Hall
20. Mark Piazza
21. Nolan Tesch
22. Tristan Enns
23. Quinn Mirau
24. Sheldon Crisp
25. Josh Brown

This list was made for the players who are playing very well and are not going credit for they're performances
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flyguy5000

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:59 am

2. Noah Charles
3. Myka Tang
4. Tomas Weatherby
5. Ty Adams
6. Connor Hayer
7. Asher Leonen
8. Kobe Morris
9. Max Reed
11. Evan Reynolds
12. Martin Eckard
13. Tatum Montague
14. Jacob Dihn
15. Van jereos
16. Harjot Gill
17. Zach Manns
18. Trey Crust
19. Johan Hall
20. Mark Piazza
21. Nolan Tesch
22. Tristan Enns
23. Quinn Mirau
24. Sheldon Crisp
25. Josh Brown

This list was made for the players who are playing very well and are not going credit for they're performances

The irony of this Top 20 (25) players list is that basketball isn't the primary sport for a lot of these guys. Some have never had any coaching other than from their school team. They're all great athletes that could take on any of the LM teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lovethegame321415

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:23 pm

flyguy5000 wrote:
2. Noah Charles
3. Myka Tang
4. Tomas Weatherby
5. Ty Adams
6. Connor Hayer
7. Asher Leonen
8. Kobe Morris
9. Max Reed
11. Evan Reynolds
12. Martin Eckard
13. Tatum Montague
14. Jacob Dihn
15. Van jereos
16. Harjot Gill
17. Zach Manns
18. Trey Crust
19. Johan Hall
20. Mark Piazza
21. Nolan Tesch
22. Tristan Enns
23. Quinn Mirau
24. Sheldon Crisp
25. Josh Brown

The irony of this Top 20 (25) players list is that basketball isn't the primary sport for a lot of these guys. Some have never had any coaching other than from their school team. They're all great athletes that could take on any of the LM teams.
I second that. I also noticed that @hardworkbeatstalent must be from lambrick, because there is 7 players named on this list from lambrick. I also think people shouldn't sleep on Josh Brown who is ranked at 25 but should be around the 8-12 position. He has been sidelined with a sprained ankle for most of this season, but he is very underrated. He is a freak of an athlete, he is 6'0" (approximate) and has about a 6'5" wingspan (also approximate). He can expand the floor with his jump shot and also has a great post game with lots of strength.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VicFan

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:31 am

One more to add to your list - Madhu McConnell, plays on the Oak Bay Sr Team (with Myka). Thought I'd go see just how good the Claremont team is (VERY GOOD), & he was impressive. Big rivalry, packed crowd & think he had 8 points vs a tough 4AAAA BC ranked team with 5 Sr starters. He also had a very cool 2 handed dunk in warm-ups (nearly killing himself in the process). From the look on his face, it was his 1st ever. He looks like he can't be more than 5'11". Very raw, but he competes.

Will be interesting to see who puts in the time, & what that list looks like next year, or even when they are Grade 12.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ScoutFocus

Location : Spokane, Washington, British Columbia, Canada, Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Top 10 players in the class of 2016 according to @bchighschoolbasketball:
1. Izaiah Ugoalah(Churchill)
2. Matt Lanfontaine (Kelowna)
3.Harry Liu (Churchill)
4.Parker Simson (Kelowna)
5.Wei Chung (Walnut Grove)
6. Howard Wang (Kitsilano)
7.Karn Virk (Churchill)
8.Kenya Gerald (Kitsilano)
9.Alec Bayne (Kitsilano)
10.Riley Braich (Yale)
HM: Terell Jana (STMC) Lambert Pajayon (Churchill) Nav Sandhu (Kelowna) Chase Claypool (Abby Senior) Alex Asperin (Holy Cross)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hardwork beats talent

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:15 pm

@flyguy5000 I'm actually a coach from a northern island team, I can't say what team because I like my privacy. But we have played Lambrick before and we know them very well and we also know cowichan and oak bay very well, in my opinion Lambrick is a very good individually but they couldn't put it all together just yet which is the difference between them and cowichan and I totally agree with you about josh brown, he is very underrated but I haven't seen much of him because he has been injured
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flyguy5000

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:04 am

@flyguy5000 I'm actually a coach from a northern island team, I can't say what team because I like my privacy. But we have played Lambrick before and we know them very well and we also know cowichan and oak bay very well, in my opinion Lambrick is a very good individually but they couldn't put it all together just yet which is the difference between them and cowichan and I totally agree with you about josh brown, he is very underrated but I haven't seen much of him because he has been injured

It was lovethegame that thought you were from lambrick but no need to defend yourself in any case, friend.

Yes Madhu is in the top 25ish and also two more boys I thought of, Gavin C and Jordan A.

I don't necessarily agree with ranking the top players in the region or in BC as they are all still developing in the context of their teams and coaches and local competition. But I would like to see a more inclusive list of all players to watch for across BC. The limited attention to LM players here gets a bit draining.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockNation

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:22 pm

In my opinion we should not be ranking the players at this age as they are still developing. But I think general comments on where they can improve or excel is a better approach. I have not seen all the boys play or in fact what school some of them go to but I am sure I will see them soon. I have added some players I feel were missed and I am sure there is many more. My list is not a ranking at all but I will make comments and you can decide if you like where they rank:

Ben Reddy (Lambrick) - Big shooting Guard 6'4", needs to improve ball handling skills, good shot needs to work on shot and be more aggressive to the hoop, can be shut down by a good defender on other team. Biggest Advantage Height and can jump. Overall has a good game, needs to put more time in the gym.

Humza Kan (Cowichan) Good all round point guard 5'10". Can shoot the 3, hit the 2, drive and has good handles. Needs to be more aggressive to the hoop. Biggest advantage sees the floor well and gets players involved.

Noah Charles (Cowichan) Big Power Forward 6'4", Big body, still growing, still developing. Comes from basketball family. Huge upside, Can bang the boards, good jump shot, and quick feet. Needs to improve fitness and jumping ability, could be dominant in next couple of years. good Post moves, can defend in the post.

Myka Tang-Blumenschein (Oak Bay) Shooting Guard 5'10", plays on Oak Bay Senior Team gets his minutes and does well as a Grade 10 on a senior team. Shoots the 3 well, things to improve be more aggressive on defense and be more of a player on offense. Needs to improve 1 0n 1 skills.

Tomas Weatherby (Gulf Island) - have not seen this boy play, although his stats look impressive for some games they have been against lower ranked teams but I am sure he has game, look forward to seeing him play one day.

Ty Adams (Lambrick)- Big, Strong Power Forward 6'4", good defender, but fouls way to much. needs to be more disciplined. Offensive game coming along. Needs to improve shot and post moves. Good shot blocker, Has the size and strength, needs to get more practice and game time to improve. There is an upside with this young fella.

Connor Hayer (Cowichan) Big, Strong Power Forward 6'4", Good shooter, can hit the 3, good defender. Needs to improve post moves and foot work. Most of the tools are in his kit just needs to put in the time and conditioning.

Asher Leonen (PCS) Shooting guard / Small Forward 6'3", Ok Shooter, can get to the rim, good athlete, good springs. Not on the strongest team so he stands out gets lots of shots. Needs to work on defense and ball handling skills.

Kobe Morris (Spectrum) -Shooting guard 6'1", good shot, left handed, can shoot the 3, drive to the hoop. Needs to improve going right and his ball handling. He is left hand dominate. Ok defender.

Max Reed (Dover Bay) - no information on Max at this time looking forward to see him play.

Tyler schindel (Lambrick) Tyler has been injured no comments at this time. Get better.

Evan Reynolds (Oak Bay) - small forward 6'0, plays bigger than 6 feet, long arms. Great timing on blocking shots. Can shoot the 3, ok defender gets into foul trouble, Needs more development on ball handling and build his strength. Put more time in the gym.

Martin Eckard (Lambrick)- Power forward 6'3", he's a banger, good rebounder, needs to develop shot and post moves. Could be very effective in the post if he puts in the time and develops his low post moves.

Madhu McConnell (Oak Bay)-Small forward 5'11", plays on the oak bay senior team, very explosive player, quick 1st step, good defender, brings a ton of energy, Needs to develop shot especially 3 pointer and slow his game down to avoid turnovers.

Aoi Yamaguchi (Oak Bay) - point guard 5'11", plays on the oak bay senior team, very quick player, can shoot the 3, Needs to develop overall game, shooting, ball handling and pressuring the ball.

Tatum Montague (Lambrick) - Power Forward 6'3", Good all around game, Good shot, Can shoot the 3, ok post moves and ok defender. Just needs to put in more time developing his ball handling, improving shot and those post moves. Foot work with be key going forward in the post.

Jacob Dinh (Oak Bay) point guard 5'6", good player, can shoot the 3, drives to the rim, good defender. Needs to put in more time shooting and developing his shot as his size is limited and shooting will be the key to his success. Has no fear.

Van jereos (Mt. Doug) point guard 5'3" good aggresive player. Good defense, can shoot the 3 and has no fear. Needs to develop his shot based on his size and his ball handling skills.

Harjot Gill (Mt. Doug) - Power forward 6'4", good shooter, can shoot the 3, ok post moves, needs to develop in the post and his defense. He is a tough match up for most junior teams.

Zach Manns (Claremont)- Point guard 5'10", great defender, sees the floor really well. Good passer, needs to develop his shot and be more aggressive to the hoop. Needs to put more time in the gym.

Trey Crust (Lambrick) - Can't comment on Trey's game as I don't believe I know who he is.

Johan Hall (Oak Bay) - Big Power Forward 6'4" - Strong, aggressive player. Good rebounder and good defender, gets into foul trouble at times, Offensive game needs work and developing his shot, post moves both offense and defense need work, Needs to put more time in the gym.

Mark Piazza (Oak Bay) - point guard 5'7" - great defender, aggressive player, needs to develop shot and ball handling skills. Needs to put more time in the gym.

Nolan Tesch - No comment at this time have not seen Nolan play and don't know what school

Tristan Enns - No comment at this time have not seen Tristan play and don't know what school

Quinn Mirau - No comment at this time have not seen Quinn play and don't know what school

Sheldon Crisp (Oak Bay)- Shooting Guard 5'7, good player, good passer, can shoot the 3 and drive to the rim, Needs to develop shot, quicker feet on defense and ball handling skills need to improve.

Josh Brown - No comment at this time have not seen Josh play and don't know what school

Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:37 am

RockNation wrote:
In my opinion we should not be ranking the players at this age as they are still developing. But I think general comments on where they can improve or excel is a better approach.

I disagree with this as it is 2014, the players in question are finishing up their grade 10 seasons and entering the summer before their first year of senior basketball (hypothetically) and many are playing senior ball as grade 10's. I don't think this is too early of a time to rank them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vicballer

PostSubject: Cowichan upset and not going to islands? And Oak bay blows out Lambrick by 20.   Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:36 am

After these two big games, I sense a change in player rankings and if @Rocknation would like to update player profiles that would be good to see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockNation

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:53 pm

vicballer wrote:
After these two big games, I sense a change in player rankings and if @Rocknation would like to update player profiles that would be good to see.

Yes wow those were two big games alright. Since I don't like ranking the players 1-25 I will leave that up to someone else but I would sense there could be a change if needed. Remember a bad loss in basketball or a good win does not change maybe where a player ranks unless it is consistently shown that these losses or wins keep happening and these players are not performing to the level they should. Maybe they are coming up against great defenses or maybe they had a off game. The Cowichan loss to Shawnigan Lake was quite surprising to all I am sure. If they met again the result would probably be different. The Lambrick vs Oak Bay Series is shaping up to be very good. In preseason Oak Bay won by 16 playing their bench towards the end. But in the only regular season match up Lambrick won by 6 points and I thought they played well where Oak Bay had an off game. In the City Championships Oak Bay won by 20 points and had a real handle on the game. Oak Bay has a much deeper bench, but Lambrick is a bit taller overall. I would say both teams have very good individual skilled players, it will come down to which TEAM can come together when it counts most!!!

Update Player Profile:

Trey Crust (Lambrick) - Forward 6'5', very lengthy forward, has some good offensive skills around the hoop for a big man, Good rebounder. Needs to improve defensively in the post and improve his post moves offensively. Keep working on that 5-12ft jumper.

Nolan Tesch (Lambrick) - Point guard 5'8", very quick guard, can shoot the 3, can play good defense. Needs to improve ball handling skills and develop his shot. Needs to see the floor better and hit the open man.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vicballer

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:32 pm

I feel the Lambrick/Oak Bay rivalry will be a good one and hopefully we see more of it in the upcoming islands. Lambrick boasts strong fowards but Oak Bay's guards are cleary superior. Guards from oak bay forced many turnovers and hit many key shots and led the way for oak bay in scoring. Excited to see future games!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Today at 1:02 am

Back to top Go down

Top 10 Class of 2016 Players
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next