HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top 10 Class of 2016 Players

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
vicballer

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:48 pm

I would also like to hear people's opinion on best players on the island position wise. Best 5 point guards? best forwards? best posts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hooplife

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:49 am

How about top five players in each position; PG, SG, SF, PF and C ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockNation

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:02 pm

Top Players Each Position on the Island (No particular Order) for 2016 Birth Year, some players missing as I have not seen them play and what position they play. Tomas Weatherby (Gulf Island) and Max Reed (Dover Bay) Should be on this list just not sure where.

Point Guard
Humza Kan - (Cowichan)
Aoi Yamaguchi (Oak Bay)
Zach Manns (Claremont)

Shooting Guard
Ben Reddy - (Lambrick)
Myka Tang-Blumenschein -(Oak Bay)
Asher Leonen (PCS)
Kobe Morris (Spectrum)

Forward
Madhu McConnell (Oak Bay)
Evan Reynolds (Oak Bay)
Tatum Montague (Lambrick)

Power Forward
Noah Charles - Cowichan
Jonah Hall - Oak Bay
Connor Hayer - Cowichan
Martin Eckard (Lambrick

Centre (Although there is no true centre in Junior as they have so much to develop on in the post, these are players that could play centre if needed)
Trey Crust (Lambrick)
Ty Adams (Lambrick)
Harjot Gill (Mt. Doug)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vicballer

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:13 am

Zach Manns does not deserve to be on this list. Sorry. There are many many more guards on the island who are quite a bit better. Mark Piazza from oak bay is a very good defender, Van jaeros from mount doug is a quick guard and has much better handles than zach manns, jacob dihn from oak bay can get to the rim and guard, and sheldon crisp from oak bay can score the ball. I will be going to some upcoming games and am looking forward to see who qualifies for provincial tournament
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockNation

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:11 am

I disagree with you. Although the players you mentioned are all good, Zach has played on a team with not very much talent. He can defend as good as anybody, yes he needs to work on his dribbling and his shot but so do all of these boys. The reason he is on the list is 1) The team he plays on is weak, 2) If he went to Oak Bay he would be starting and 3) If the boys mentioned below were to play one on one Zach would probably win, but it would be a battle between him and
Mark as they both play great defense.

So ok you can add Mark to the list, Mark's size does limit him but his defense makes up for it.

Another Boy you can add to the Point Guard list is Max Reed - Dover Bay. I was surprised to see in the program he was listed at point guard at 6'3" when his is the biggest presence on the floor for Dover Bay. It looks like he plays both positions but I feel he is much better at forward at this stage than point guard. If he will remain a point guard he needs to develop his handles and his shot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockNation

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:38 am

Some Players I would like to add to my earlier list:

Mostyn Findlay -Shawnigan Lake,  Point Guard 5'10", big bodied point guard, fast and great in transtion, can shoot 3 and has pretty good handles, can see the floor well. Needs to improve his pull up jumper and get his team mates more involved.

Irvin Chen - Shawnigan Lake, Guard 5'10", Quick guard, good defender, Quick in transition, needs to develop shot and see the floor better.

Tyler Schindel - Lambrick Park 5'11" Guard, Quick guard, good defender, brings a ton of energy, needs to really work on offensive game and his ball handling.

Joseph Almoete - Wellington Point Guard 5'2", Very Quick guard, good defender, sees the floor well, needs to develop his step back jumper based on size, can handle the ball, needs to eliminate turnovers in the paint

Hayden Jeffrey- Wellington Forward 6'0", very good overall player, if he can develop his shot and work on his handles in the off season, look for Hayden to play well in Senior ball.

Chase Hobenshield - GP Vanier Centre 6'7", very big for his age. Chase will be one to watch as he develops his post game. Currently ok on offense but his defensive is lacking. He should be more of a shot blocker and needs to work on foot work. Needs lots of Gym time.

Max Reed - Dover Bay - Point Guard 6'3", Although I feel at his height he is more of a forward based on his skills, Needs to develop his handles for a point guard, sees the floor well. Needs to develop shot. Good Rebounder.

Jeff Webb - Dover Bay - Forward 6'1", All around good player, needs to develop shot and be more aggressive on offensive. Good Defender and can rebound. Needs to spend more time in the gym.

Ty Edwards - GP Vanier - Forward / Centre 6'6", Good Player, needs to develop post moves, Needs to be more aggressive in his all around game especially on the defensive end. Needs to put more time in the gym developing post moves and defensive.

Last edited by RockNation on Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockNation

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:56 am

(Revised) Top Players Each Position on the Island (No particular Order) for 2016 Birth Year, some players missing as I have not seen them play and what position they play.

Point Guard
Humza Kan - (Cowichan)
Aoi Yamaguchi (Oak Bay)- Plays Oak Bay Senior Team
Mostyn Findlay (Shawigan Lake)
Max Reed - Dover Bay

Shooting Guard
Ben Reddy - (Lambrick)
Myka Tang-Blumenschein -(Oak Bay)- Plays Oak Bay Senior Team
Asher Leonen (PCS) - Plays Junior and Senior
Kobe Morris (Spectrum) - Plays Junior and Senior

Forward
Madhu McConnell (Oak Bay) - Plays Oak Bay Senior Team
Evan Reynolds (Oak Bay)
Jeff Webb - Dover Bay
Hayden Jeffrey (Wellingtion)

Power Forward
Noah Charles - Cowichan
Jonah Hall - Oak Bay
Connor Hayer - Cowichan

Centre
Chase Hobenshield-GP Vanier
Ty Edwards- GP Vanier
Trey Crust (Lambrick)
Harjot Gill (Mt. Doug)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hooplife

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:20 am

#9 from the wildcats has got to be in the top 10. I mostly saw all the games last week of the valleys and this boy was a total BEAST on the boards. He easily averaged a double- double this tournament. He is the one to look out for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
surreybasketball

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:50 am

Hooplife wrote:
#9 from the wildcats has got to be in the top 10. I mostly saw all the games last week of the valleys and this boy was a total BEAST on the boards. He easily averaged a double- double this tournament. He is the one to look out for.

No disrespect but i don't know why you are only talking about #15 or #9 from Tamanawis. Are you related to them? #9 can't even go to the right and #15 is too weak(defense) to be playing at this level. They are good players but i don't see them in top 10.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bchoopfan

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:25 pm

Surrey basketball you couldn't be any wronger. How could you say all those players are better when tammy is a top team in the province. When you are one of the better teams you obviously have some top talent. Don't disrespect teams and players that put in work to become a BC team. Just had to go on this rant going in to detail on how a player can't go left isnt the brightest idea. Maybe you should talk about how him not being able to go left helped them go to bc's?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bchoopscout

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:06 pm

bchoopfan wrote:
Surrey basketball you couldn't be any wronger. How could you say all those players are better when tammy is a top team in the province. When you are one of the better teams you obviously have some top talent. Don't disrespect teams and players that put in work to become a BC team. Just had to go on this rant going in to detail on how a player can't go left isnt the brightest idea. Maybe you should talk about how him not being able to go left helped them go to bc's?

bchoopfan - There are many other teams in BC that are far superior than Tammy. Tammy was ranked highly in the preseason, but failed to sustain the position as it came 5th in surreys and 4th in Frasers. Tammy has reached provincials but is really struggling with their defense. I don't see this team going very far in provincials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:22 pm

bchoopscout wrote:
bchoopfan wrote:

bchoopfan - There are many other teams in BC that are far superior than Tammy. Tammy was ranked highly in the preseason, but failed to sustain the position as it came 5th in surreys and 4th in Frasers. Tammy has reached provincials but is really struggling with their defense. I don't see this team going very far in provincials.

Tammy is a talented team, at full-strength as talented as any in BC, but they have been hit by a string of injuries, their starting big man and arguably their best player tore his achilles in early Jan. and their starting guard was in an air-cast in the FV Playoffs, their high rankings early in season were right on with the team they were putting on the floor, but the team playing now going into Provincials is far from that team that started the season. They should still be dangerous but clearly not as strong as they could be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fair-Bball

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:49 pm

bchoopfan wrote:

Totally agree with you BCHOOPFAN. Here is what Tammy #9 (Aminder Basra) and #15 Sagar Dulay done so far this season:

#9 AMINDER BASRA

-MVP: Kwantlan Tournament
-First Team All Star: Surrey RCMP

#15 SAGAR DULAY

-First Team All Star: Kwantlan Tournament
-First Team All Star: Surrey RCMP
-First Team All Star: Surrey City Championship
-First Team All Star: Fraser Valley Championship

I have been involved in basketball for long time and know that YOU DON’T GET ANY RECOGNITION at any tournament unless you perform at high level in big games (semi-final and final) and in critical game situations. Both of these players are great players and can perform at high level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bchoopfan

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:54 pm

They carried there team to the bc's with injuries to key players. You can't say they dont belong in the top players of there class if they are doing damage. Thanks for the players resumes clearly shows they are worthy of being considered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ValleyHoopFan

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:31 pm

Fleetwood's Tomas Fovenyi is having a solid year. Very strong on offence. Great shooter and and has a nice handle on the ball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:37 pm

I like Jaden Touchie from Oak Bay after watching some Jr Provs. Not sure if grade 10 or 9.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VanJV

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:29 pm

Caught most of the Kits - Oak Bay game this morning on livestream, #9 (Evan Reynolds) and #6 (Jaden Touchie) from Oak Bay and #24 (Vincent Cao) and #33 (Arian Tabrizi) from Kits stood out in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lovethegame321415

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:32 pm

RockNation wrote:
(Revised) Top Players Each Position on the Island (No particular Order) for 2016 Birth Year, some players missing as I have not seen them play and what position they play.

Point Guard
Humza Kan - (Cowichan)
Aoi Yamaguchi (Oak Bay)- Plays Oak Bay Senior Team
Mostyn Findlay (Shawigan Lake)
Max Reed - Dover Bay

Shooting Guard
Ben Reddy - (Lambrick)
Myka Tang-Blumenschein -(Oak Bay)- Plays Oak Bay Senior Team
Asher Leonen (PCS) - Plays Junior and Senior
Kobe Morris (Spectrum) - Plays Junior and Senior

Forward
Madhu McConnell (Oak Bay) - Plays Oak Bay Senior Team
Evan Reynolds (Oak Bay)
Jeff Webb - Dover Bay
Hayden Jeffrey (Wellingtion)

Power Forward
Noah Charles - Cowichan
Jonah Hall - Oak Bay
Connor Hayer - Cowichan

Centre
Chase Hobenshield-GP Vanier
Ty Edwards- GP Vanier
Trey Crust (Lambrick)
Harjot Gill (Mt. Doug)

People may disagree with me on this, but I feel like Tomas Weatherby and Mark Piazza should be the #1 and #2 pg's on vancouver island. I watched Oak bay play against dover bay at the provincials and Mark impressed me very much. He has great vision, can pull up and hit the mid range jumper, something that's pretty rare in junior, can easily break a press by himself with his confident ball handling, and is also a great defender. I've already gave my opinion on Tomas earlier in the thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lovethegame321415

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:33 pm

okanaganbball wrote:
I like Jaden Touchie from Oak Bay after watching some Jr Provs. Not sure if grade 10 or 9.
He is grade 9 and played on team BC last year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hardwork beats talent

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:22 pm

Now that the 2013-14 season has ended, here is my provincial and island rankings

Province
1. Matt Lafontainte
2. Parker Simpson
3. Izaiah Ugoalah
4. Howard Wang
5. Karn Virk
6. Harry Lui
7. Riley Braich
8. Justin McChesney
T9. Ben Reddy
T9. Humza Chan
10. Myka Tang

Island
T1. Ben Reddy
T1. Humza Chan
2. Myka Tang
3. Jeff Webb
4. Aoi Yamaguchi
5. Madhu McConnell
6. Tyler Schindel
7. Tomas Weatherby
8. Mostyn Findlay
9. Ty Adams
T10. Trey Crust
T10. Evan Reynolds
T10. Max Reed

This list is based on potential, coachability, work ethic and will to win
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d4championships

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:22 pm

How could Noah Charles from Cowichan not be on this list? He played with most of these guys last summer on BC team and recieved I think player of the game 2 times during the provincials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockNation

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:36 pm

Yes I agree with Noah Charles on the list for sure. I disagree with both of these lists especially the province list. If you watched any provincials there is a ton of players that would be on this list there is definitely no one from the island in the top 10 that is for sure and as far as the island list goes it's a little off base as well. It is your opinion but it is wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockNation

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:43 pm

And why is there 4 players from lambrick in your top 10. They were blown out at provincials by like 20 points every game. They got killed over in Vancouver. Even Ben Reddy did not impress. He should be on the list but no where near the top.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d4championships

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:58 pm

yes there were a lot of top players there from the games I could watch online and I'm with you about Lambrick and they did not have a good provincials at all. If anything you would have to switch Khan with Charles and Charles with his rebounding and hard work could be higher. He for sure would be number one on the island, no one was able to stop him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hardwork beats talent

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:30 am

I totally forgot about Noah Charles, I'm very sorry he is definitely top 5 , and I am not too familiar with mainland talent so my top 10 list may not be perfect, and I support the players on the list, just because some had a average showing at BC's doesn't mean that they shouldn't be on the list, Im looking at the improvement for year to year and the performance from this entire season. Humza and Ben are definitely the 2 most improved players on the island and feel that they well have an amazing senior career. And remember the players who didn't make this list are hungry and I promise that they will be on the list by this time next time. If I remember right humza, Ben, Ty, Tyler, trey, madhu, Aoi, Jeff, Evan and mostyn weren't well know till this year. And this list is rewarding them for they're hard work. Keep it up boys and use they're hate to fuel the fire and I look forward to watching you boys in senior, thanks for the great year!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Class of 2016 Players   Today at 1:03 am

Back to top Go down

Top 10 Class of 2016 Players
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next