HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Modified Mini Rules

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Modified Mini Rules   Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:40 pm

What are your thoughts on the new Mini rules BNB has introduced this year?

Main changes:

1) Mini is now 4 on 4
2) Five 3:00 shifts per half, 10 total
3) No player may play more than 1 shift than another player
4) Limit of 30 games (does not include provincials or cross over games in tournaments)
5) Bonus starts at the 8th foul of the half
6) Players may only be subbed out due to injury or illness
7) No screens (ball or area)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:56 pm

Can't say I think these are good rule changes. I understand making modifications to the game to encourage team play and improve skill levels, but I can't really get a grasp on the reasoning behind all of these changes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:27 am

Obviously some changes are he result of others (such as #2 being a result of #1).

Some of the changes I do like are #3 and #7.

#3 - I've seen "B" teams go to tournaments and not play one of their players because of the old rules. At least now everyone is guaranteed a respectable # of shifts.

#7 - Games can be won or loss because of pick and roll. I could be up by 20, and the other team decides to run P&R with their best guard and biggest post. If I haven't spent a month teaching hedging or switching, we're toast. BNB wants players to get open on their own, not because of someone elses work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
C-N '06-'09

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:49 am

I really like the switch to 4 on 4. Greater opportunity for each player to have possession during game play. As long as players are not bunching up this could be very beneficial in the long run.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:54 am

I like all the rules and the fact that intent of all the rules seems to be to get more touches, to more kids in games in meaningful ways while asking coaches and players to develop individual players and focus less on tactics on winning.

The real test of the rules is going to be if coaches and associations will contact BNB and ask for help/clarification/assistance in designing practices, selection processes and teams. Will places try to find out what BNB wants and ask for help in terms how practices should look, what skills they should be looking at with the rule changes, trying to get maximum number of kids maximum time

or

Will coaches/associations try to do exactly waht they've been doing and make that fit under the new rules.

How often the decision is made to try to do things the way BNB wants for player development vs how often coaches/teams/associations decide to try to do whats going to help their teams be more competitive in jr mini and mini games is going to be key.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:58 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
I like all the rules and the fact that intent of all the rules seems to be to get more touches, to more kids in games in meaningful ways while asking coaches and players to develop individual players and focus less on tactics on winning.

The real test of the rules is going to be if coaches and associations will contact BNB and ask for help/clarification/assistance in designing practices, selection processes and teams. Will places try to find out what BNB wants and ask for help in terms how practices should look, what skills they should be looking at with the rule changes, trying to get maximum number of kids maximum time

or

Will coaches/associations try to do exactly waht they've been doing and make that fit under the new rules.

How often the decision is made to try to do things the way BNB wants for player development vs how often coaches/teams/associations decide to try to do whats going to help their teams be more competitive in jr mini and mini games is going to be key.
I don't think many will ever look for their practices to be pre-planned. I certainly would take suggestions (I've even invited the TD to run some of my practices) but to give up full control would take away the strategy of coaching.

Selection process or how to maximize kids is also pretty hard to change. If you take 10, every kid gets 4 shifts. If you take 11, everyone gets 3 and 7 get 4. If you take 12, everyone gets 3 and 4 get 4. Doesn't change much more than that. Most teams will infact take less kids on their team than they did last year.

Last edited by Coach.Red on Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:46 pm

I think we can disagree on this one. I think most house coaches, development coaches heck most people for that matter of like to be given more structure, guidelines, and clear standards and objectives to meet. WHen CB rolled out Nash small ball the provided guidelines, drills, practices and even experience coaches followed their map and plans tweeking as needed for the situation.

If we want to seriously put in ding in creating a provincial culture or national culture for basketball we've all got to start with a common language, and clear objectives/standards we are trying to meet. LTAD does a good job, BNB is working at it, its time teams/coaches/associations continue to help to that grow by helping us work together. Most coaches work in isolation and do their own thing because their own thing and in isolation is the only way that it works. If a fraternity of coaches is out there, if one body is out there willing to support and help, if we want a provincial culture of basketball we all need to go a little less our own way, a little less concern over small groups and goals and start thinking in terms of bigger goals.

The art of coaching will always be there. Motivating your kids, tweeking drills, and practice systems to fit your needs, level and facilities. What we don't need is a focus on Strategy and winning at the mini level. In ages 9-12 players should just be being introduced to team offensive and defensive strategies. Basic team offese, basic team defense. 10% or less of teaching time on this. HOw many times have I been in a mini game gym, or even a mini practice and seen "plays", watch ball screens that are clearly be design to free a ball handler to attack weak defense, big kids standing by the rim and never running the offense? When i listen at mini games I often hear coaches asking officials who a kid is guarding making sure the rules are being followed, telling a kid where to go or when to go there to run the offense better, I often over hear discussion about how to exploit or attack weaknesses in the other teams offense or defense. Definitely more then 10% of the conversation in these settings so I can only assume at practices its more than that too. We need more time asking kids how they are getting open and what they are seeing not providing them with solutions. Let them all become better basketball players, with less focus on how to help/figure out how to win in mini.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:56 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
I think we can disagree on this one. I think most house coaches, development coaches heck most people for that matter of like to be given more structure, guidelines, and clear standards and objectives to meet. WHen CB rolled out Nash small ball the provided guidelines, drills, practices and even experience coaches followed their map and plans tweeking as needed for the situation.

If we want to seriously put in ding in creating a provincial culture or national culture for basketball we've all got to start with a common language, and clear objectives/standards we are trying to meet. LTAD does a good job, BNB is working at it, its time teams/coaches/associations continue to help to that grow by helping us work together. Most coaches work in isolation and do their own thing because their own thing and in isolation is the only way that it works. If a fraternity of coaches is out there, if one body is out there willing to support and help, if we want a provincial culture of basketball we all need to go a little less our own way, a little less concern over small groups and goals and start thinking in terms of bigger goals.

The art of coaching will always be there. Motivating your kids, tweeking drills, and practice systems to fit your needs, level and facilities. What we don't need is a focus on Strategy and winning at the mini level. In ages 9-12 players should just be being introduced to team offensive and defensive strategies. Basic team offese, basic team defense. 10% or less of teaching time on this. HOw many times have I been in a mini game gym, or even a mini practice and seen "plays", watch ball screens that are clearly be design to free a ball handler to attack weak defense, big kids standing by the rim and never running the offense? When i listen at mini games I often hear coaches asking officials who a kid is guarding making sure the rules are being followed, telling a kid where to go or when to go there to run the offense better, I often over hear discussion about how to exploit or attack weaknesses in the other teams offense or defense. Definitely more then 10% of the conversation in these settings so I can only assume at practices its more than that too. We need more time asking kids how they are getting open and what they are seeing not providing them with solutions. Let them all become better basketball players, with less focus on how to help/figure out how to win in mini.
I shouldn't have even posted what I did, I was at work and rushed my post.

I spent a lot of time doing BNB programs this spring/summer/fall (spring jr boys EDP, bantam elite, BNB U14 Boys @ Summerfest and fall sr boys EDP). I promise you now 95% of my practices will be based on things I learned this summer. I'm going to take everything I was given the chance to see this summer and implement it into my teams fundamental skill set and eventually into my teams offense (basic read and react offense).

The coaches who are truly involved in basketball to develop players will all follow the LTAD and CB programs that BNB has been circulating (which they've been doing a good job of).

I know my association is looking forward to what BNB can offer to our house league program, as our house league is what keeps every association in New Brunswick going. Once we start teaching basic footwork fundamentals to Jr. Mini players (rather than when they're in bantam, or worse, JV) we will start seeing vast improvements in our provincial teams down the road. Having kids knowing how make their own reads on defenders rather than worrying about what play to run or who to pass it to will be great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballnut

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:39 pm

It is all good to say all this but at the end of the day the way every one of these coaches measures there success is by winning at any level period. They will bend these rules as much as they can just like they did with the old ones, and as far as 4 on 4 they are just going to take less players and the real good basketball players are really going to tear it up with all that extra floor space.
I am sure many will disagree but I am simply stating the obvious this is what will happen and I am not sure it will ever be fixed because at the end of the day they are all looking to win. That is just the mentality of the sport , pick up a newspaper and all you see is how many points someone scored. As a parent who has spent a lot of time teaching his kid that basketball is about much more than scoring, it at sometimes is a hard sell when you get 20assists and they write about the guy that scored 12. But at the end of the day if you can get the coaches to buy into this you will have some pretty damn good ball players but all I can really say is good luck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballnut

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:52 pm

And just on a side note how many of these jr mini and mini teams are run by a parent of one of the players. In probably about 50 percent of the instances that child is one of the better players. Why is that? more floor time, better coaching, more dedication, maybe that could be a starting point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:39 pm

Can't really take less players, unless you're from a place with only 1 team.

River Valley for example had like 14-15 on their team last year, minimum they can take now is 10. Even if they take up to 13, the best player will only play 1 more shift than the least skilled player.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballnut

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:35 pm

Coach.Red wrote:

River Valley for example had like 14-15 on their team last year, minimum they can take now is 10. Even if they take up to 13, the best player will only play 1 more shift than the least skilled player.

So is the good point the fact that the good player misses 3 minutes or that the less skilled player gains 3 minutes. From my experience the more skilled players are not like that by accident. Most of the time they are the ones putting the work in outside of regular team stuff. You can call it god given talent if you want but god has never made a shot in my front yard but my kid has made thousands. Hard work is how you get better. So whether you work hard to get better or not you are all going to play equally, it will probably work great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawkfan

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:09 pm

CoachDJR wrote:

or

the latter will prevail as most coaches and most players are interested in winning not what bnb wants. For the vast majority of these kids and coaches BNB is simply a banner at the end of the year. They will not try out for bnb teams . How many basketball players are in this province and how many tryout for bnb.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:14 pm

hawkfan wrote:
CoachDJR wrote:

or

the latter will prevail as most coaches and most players are interested in winning not what bnb wants. For the vast majority of these kids and coaches BNB is simply a banner at the end of the year. They will not try out for bnb teams . How many basketball players are in this province and how many tryout for bnb.
A question to ask is, how many of these players know about BNB?

I never knew about BNB when I played, and that was only ~8-12 years ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:14 pm

Seems that most of the issues are delivery model issues.

If your delivery model is "come play for team x, we happen to be part of asociation x and oh yeah that mean we are part of BNB. We are going to try to win a lot of games, learn some skills along the way and have a lot of fun. "Then the focus is obviously going to be what its going to be.

IF your delivery model is "welcome to Mini Basketball. Association X is excited to deliver you a program brought to you by BNB. We'll be working on skills, fundmenntals and team play that Canada Basketball and basketball NB feel are important to your development as basketball players. We are going to work to make sure that each one of you has fun and you are going to learn and improve essential skills you'll need as you develop. Down the road if you stick with basketball these skills will be the building blocks of a successful basketball carreer." What is the focus?

I get that these are oversimplifications but I'm just doing that to make a point.

You get what you emphasize. If associations emphasis with their coaches and coach selection/ training the programming and curriculum offered by BNB . . . if the coaches then emphasis the skills, footwork, fundamentals and curriculum offered by BNB . . . the kids will then end up with the skills, footwork, fundamentals and curriculum that BNB is putting forth.

BNB emphasisizes these things with coaches and associations. Associations emphasis it with coaches, players and members. Coaches emphasis it with players. The message gets delivered.

If people want to have a philosophical debate or argue points because you have anecdotes, expereince or even a physics degree . . . then that's fine but the forum is when BNB has meetings and positions open up and ask for feedback. If we are trusting them with the resources to develop basketball as a province, and they come back with a model based in science, research and the most current thinking. Why would we then go "yeah that's your job and all and we support you doing it, but we're going to go our own way"?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
minimani

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:50 pm

FYI - There have been changes to the mini rules on the BNB site
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:17 pm

Coach.Red wrote:

Main changes:

1) Mini is now 4 on 4
3) No player may play more than 1 shift than another player - No player may play more than 2 shifts than another player
4) Limit of 30 games (does not include provincials or cross over games in tournaments)
6) Players may only be subbed out due to injury or illness - Players may only be subbed out due to injury or illness, or foul trouble
In my eyes the biggest thing for a coach to decide is whether they take 10 or 11 players.

Things to consider when taking 11:
  • If playing "fair play" four kids will play 3 shifts, seven kids will play 4 shifts
    If playing your stronger players, three players will play 5 shifts, one player will play 4 shifts and 7 players will play 3 shifts.
    Any combination between "fair play" and "power line" can happen
    Some kids will only play once per half (meaning they sit 3 shifts in a row)

If you take 10, there's less of a headache:
  • Everyone can play 4 shifts for fair play
    You can play five players 5 shifts and five players 3 shifts or any combination in between.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawkfan

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:39 am

Coach.Red wrote:
Coach.Red wrote:

Main changes:

1) Mini is now 4 on 4
3) No player may play more than 1 shift than another player - No player may play more than 2 shifts than another player
6) Players may only be subbed out due to injury or illness - Players may only be subbed out due to injury or illness, or foul trouble
In my eyes the biggest thing for a coach to decide is whether they take 10 or 11 players.

• If playing "fair play" four kids will play 3 shifts, seven kids will play 4 shifts
    If playing your stronger players, three players will play 5 shifts, one player will play 4 shifts and 7 players will play 3 shifts.

You can play five players 5 shifts and five players 3 shifts or any combination in between.
So basically most teams are going to cut the bottom 2 or 3 players that used to play. So those players are going to not play making the basketball pool even smaller. Even though you just said a couple of posts ago this wouldn't happen. How many will you be taking. And this is all good and great but why stop at mini might as well move it to bantam and u15 u16 and u17. I watched lots of bnb ball this summer and it really looked like even time and even shifts all the way around. If BNB wants all this implemented at the jr and mini level why stop there, keep it fair play all the way through at the BNB teams and get those skills locked down real good, somehow I doubt it. Is BNB agenda to get these kids as good as they can for there teams or to prepare them with the skills necessary to play beyond U17, if it the latter then they should be practicing what they preach and there shouldn't be kids sitting on the bench 30 minutes at a time. if it is the first option well shame on them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:02 am

hawkfan wrote:
Coach.Red wrote:
Coach.Red wrote:

Main changes:

1) Mini is now 4 on 4

So basically most teams are going to cut the bottom 2 or 3 players that used to play. So those players are going to not play making the basketball pool even smaller. Even though you just said a couple of posts ago this wouldn't happen. How many will you be taking.  And this is all good and great but why stop at mini might as well move it to bantam and u15 u16 and u17. I watched lots of bnb ball this summer and it really looked like even time and even shifts all the way around. If BNB wants all this implemented at the jr and mini level why stop there, keep it fair play all the way through at the BNB teams  and get those skills locked down real good, somehow I doubt it.  Is BNB agenda to get these kids as good as they can for there teams or to prepare them with the skills necessary to play beyond U17, if it the latter then they should be practicing what they preach and there shouldn't be kids sitting on the bench 30 minutes at a time. if it is the first option well shame on them.
I guess BNB hasn't realized this yet. If you look at a place like River Valley who take 15 kids because they have no B team, they either make the decision of cutting 4-5 kids to stay competitive, or keep 15 and everyone plays 2 and 3 shifts. If you look at places who can support an A and a B team who generally take 11 on their A and 12 on their B, you'll see 2-3 kids cut total from both teams that would normally make it.

As I said, tough decision for the coach. I'll update you all once my tryouts are done Oct 6th on how many I chose to take and why.

Edit: Just reading back through my posts (since you said I said in a post that teams wont take less players) and in fact I did state I can almost GUARANTEE you'll see mini teams with less than they took last year.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawkfan

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:34 pm

Coach.Red wrote:

Was this not you? And yes I see it now at the end of a post that was modified today. But in your next post you backpedal and disregard that post. Or is it just parts of that post?? Sorry coach if you really got something on your mind say it don't worry about what BNB thinks. Are there not just as many places with one team as a B team maybe even more. How many players are going to get left out?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:07 pm

hawkfan wrote:
Coach.Red wrote:

Was this not you?   And yes I see it now at the end of a post that was modified today. But in your next post you backpedal and disregard that post. Or is it just parts of that post??   Sorry coach if you really got something on your mind say it don't worry about what BNB thinks. Are there not just as many places with one team as a B team maybe even more. How many players are going to get left out?
I meant take significantly less players, which falls back to the minimum of 10 players rule. But yes, going from 11 to 10 is less players which I'm not in agreement with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Not the Right Focus   Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:57 pm

Basketball NB is going to 4 on 4 in mini to open up the floor and allow for more passing and ball motion. This will make it easier for young kids to find open players and make passes. Something that is missing in most mini bball games (point guard dribbling fests due to floor congestion and clumping at the mini age).

Arguing whether kids play 1 less shift a game is not really relevant. At the mini age, it is the practices that are teaching the kids to be the athletes. The parents love the games, but the kids get better in the practices. A kid getting four shots in a game is not helping them learn how to shoot.

Put more passion into the practices and less into the consequence of the "game" rules. At mini the games are for fun. Remember Learn to Train, Train to Train and Train to Compete, Train to Win. The Train to Win is very late in the process. Mini is Learn to Train not maximize the advantage for my team based on the game rules established by Basketball New Brunswick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawkfan

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:42 pm

Sou_by_Souwest wrote:
Basketball NB is going to 4 on 4 in mini to open up the floor and allow for more passing  and ball motion. This will make it easier for young kids to find open players and make passes. Something that is missing in most mini bball games (point guard dribbling fests due to floor congestion and clumping at the mini age).

Arguing whether kids play 1 less shift a game is not really relevant. At the mini age, it is the practices that are teaching the kids to be the athletes. The parents love the games, but the kids get better in the practices. A kid getting four shots in a game is not helping them learn how to shoot.

Put more passion into the practices and less into the consequence of the "game" rules. At mini the games are for fun. Remember Learn to Train, Train to Train and Train to Compete, Train to Win. The Train to Win is very late in the process. Mini is Learn to Train not maximize the advantage for my team based on the game rules established by Basketball New Brunswick.
the games you see that are like that are the teams that do not maximize there practices and you can make it 3 on 3 and it wont matter. If a 1 cant see the floor at any age a1 shouldn't be a 1 I don't care how good they dribble. If you cant hit the open man even though you see him grab some pine. Now you wont even be able to do that equal shifts and all. At the house league level the score might not matter but at the competitive level saying it doesn't matter is simply not going to happen nor should it. A child is never to young to learn that the best things in life are accomplished through hard work and that the best are not the best by accident it because of hard work and dedication. After all work only beats talent when talent stops working.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:59 pm

[quote="hawkfan"]
Sou_by_Souwest wrote:
 the games you see that are like that are the teams that do not maximize there practices and you can make it 3 on 3 and it wont matter. If a 1 cant see the floor at any age a1 shouldn't be a 1 I don't care how good they dribble. If you cant hit the open man even though you see him grab some pine. Now you wont even be able to do that equal shifts and all. At the house league level the score might not matter but at the competitive level saying it doesn't matter is simply not going to happen nor should it. A child is never to young to learn that the best things in life are accomplished through hard work and that the best are not the best by accident it because of hard work and dedication. After all work only beats talent when talent stops working.
A lot of generalizations, but the medium may be responsible.

IMO if I'm at a game of mini where there is clumping and over dribbling, great spacing but a single player constantly creating and attacking for everyone, a well organized mini team running a continuity offense or set, players who name or number themselves by position I can see all of those as a problems.

I do agree players should be able to hit the open player. Though every player needs to be able to do that not just a couple. I'm also not sure benching mini kids for mistakes is the way to go, though for discipline reasons I can see the need occaisionally.

I'm pretty sure the point of SW listing the LTAD levels was to point out that this age should not be competitive (about winning) so not being concerned with the score is point.

Not sure how playing 4 on 4 stops kids from learning about hard work, dedication, working harder to be more talented etc.

Seems to me the real issue I encounter when I talk to people about these rules are adult problems. Most of those problems are with how officials will call stuff, what coaches will do, etc. At some point associations, coaches, officials, parents etc need to be the adults. The AGM is done, lets take the rules and do the best to see them applied the way BNB wants and develop our kids the way we are trying.

Too much concern over what this does to competitive advantage, how coaches currently coach and can make that fit into the new rules, how mini teams being run like high school teams can't be run that way anymore. Lets coach the kids to be the best players they can, and let the games sort themselves out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rivhoops

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:58 pm

Well I've taken time to read and re-read all the comments posted on this thread and I do like some of the rule changes, but there are a few I just can get my head around to the fact that it will make things better as a whole.

First of all I do like the 4 on 4 rule, but not for Provincial "competitive teams". I think that it's the house leagues that should be concentrating on that as they are the ones that should be pushing for more touches for those kids. House leagues should be considered strictly Rec leagues. These are the kids for the most part that need the extra room on the floor to benefit. House leagues should be the primary stepping stone for fundamental developments and that is where they should keep all their focus on.

If you are playing or coaching Provincial ball, you are playing in a competitive league. So the main emphasis and expectations for players and coaches playing at this level would be to win, especially in tournament and provincial banner games, correct? Why else would you play and travel the province for basketball? Going to the 4 x 4 format at the provincial level will have more negative effects on the game then positive ones. First of all you open the floor up for the more skilled players on a prov team to drive more to the basket and play a more one on one style game now that there is more room to move. Plus they will still get the same amount of touches as before, if not more. If you think giving weaker less confident players more room on the court is helping them I think that it will prove to be a negative, the ball, no matter what, is going to end up landing in the hands of the most skilled player(s) on the floor at any given time.

Another issue to think about is that some of the 2nd year mini (grade 6) players will play on their middle school teams starting in January, how will the change from 4 x 4 to 5 x 5 effect them plus take into consideration those kids going back to the 4 x 4 format with their mini teams in time for age class provincials, what effects will this have on those players and how they play? Remember they're just 11 and 12 year kids old at best.

Another problem with the 4 x 4 rule is that PEI and NS are not on board as of yet(correct me if i'm wrong), so what do we do if we get invited to a tournament or games in those provinces as many teams do, especially the ones that are close to the borders? Plus how do we deal with those teams coming to NB to play us?

I like the game cap of 30 games in a season, it gives teams more time to focus on practicing, but how and who will police it properly? Who is responsible for accountability? High school JV teams are limited to a 28 game season, seams only natural that mini play less than that.

Most coaches will opt to take 10 players vs 11 or 12 now with the rule changes which will be interesting to see. Fair play rules are a logistical nightmare at best with 11 or 12 kids, the new format with a 10 player roster is optimal, plus if a team member is unable to make a game it may actually become an advantage for that squad.

No screens, well most kids at that age get it wrong no matter how much you try and teach them so that I guess is a positive to take that away at this age and the existing rule of no zones and no double teaming is good as well. I find that that style of defence just makes players lazy. Man to man and nothing else for this level. I do believe teaching help defence is a must though at all age levels.

The substitution revised rule also now makes sense. The change from 8 3 1/2 shifts to 10 3 min shifts is good as well, that's kind of a neutral change, it works better with the 4 x 4 set up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://riverviewhoops.wix.com/riverview-hoops#
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modified Mini Rules   Today at 7:34 am

Back to top Go down

Modified Mini Rules
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next