HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2013-2014 Girls Top 10

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
CoachDJR

PostSubject: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:32 pm

Projected Top 10 Girls Teams in NB. Will try to update once the season gets rolling, though being here will be the priority over writing about who is here.

1. FHS- You are the champs until you aren't the champs no more. Deep, much more balanced then in previous years. New coaching. Interesting looking year.
2. KVHS- Talent to be #1. New coaching. Can they get over the hump.
3. Sussex - Good now and better later. Young and just getting better. If their young kids can adapt then, they can start dictating how the game is played. If they get consistent shooting they have the talent to compete with anyone in the province.
4. BMHS- Another school with crops of talent and kids at tryouts that most schools would envy. Solid coaching. They will be in the mix but need to go out and beat the teams ahead of them to prove they should move up.
5. Leo Hayes- Were my Darkhorse pick last year and came through moving from off the charts early in the year to Sectionals. Have had kids playing all summer in various capacities. Transfers and talented youth will make for great competition at tryouts and everyday. May be younger in the end then people might expect but will be there by Feb.
6. WHS - Talent wise are probably better then this. Expectations change as they drop to AA. Have the talent and coaching to be in control of their fate in that league. How much drive or compete they have now taking on AAA schools, scheduling, etc will be a question. Playing with and beating the teams above them is now a bonus not a need. Interesting to see how they respond.
7. Riverview- Youth gets a year older, tons of guard play. So many coaching changes though. How commited to the message will they be. HEck is there a clear message at this point. Definitely top 5 talent but need consistency, intensity and leadership to get there. Another new coach here too.
8. Rothesay - So you are the champs until you aren't the champs anymore right. Bring back 6 key players from last years AA title. Soul add very good athletes from last years JV. Questions as always with numbers of kids at tryouts and depth. Why can't a school with so much talent find 3-4 more bodies to be part of a winning tradition? New coaching here as well. 2 Time defending champs should probably get more love then this but I'm not sure who I would drop below them.
9. James M. Hill - Here's a bigger pick because of question marks. THey were decimated by injuries last year, and missing bodies was impossible to overcome. They have solid young kids, if everyone is back and healthy they will contend for a top 3/4 place in the AAA NE.
10. Saint John High - Kids seem to be migrating there. Bill Mayberry always does a good job. If someone can get something out of kids in SJ its there. Tough when you know at regionals you're probably going in behind at least Sussex and KV meaning you'll have to beat a Leo Hayes or Fredericton to move on.

Who's got next? Potential risers: Fundy High, Caledonia, Carleton North, John Caldwell

That's 5 new coaches and 4 coaches in their 2nd year with their programs in the top 10. Anything could happen.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:37 am

Since you are in the know, how about breaking teams into the 3 classes with the Top 6 or 8 in each. Or, is this too much work and keeping up on things. Be good to have the boys as well. Maybe posted each Sunday. I do not have information on this but find it interesting to watch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:19 am

I went with the top 10 overall because it seems a better reflection of who the very good teams in province are. We could do a breakdown by division but in AA and A after the top 2-3 teams there is a big drop off. Also a couple of years ago when we started top 10's and top 8's I called some people out on what I felt was getting out of hand beacuse the lists started talking about top JV teams, top players in a particular region, and we were a couple of top 10's away from getting lists of the top 10 left handed point guards in york county who attend school up 80% of the time. It was just getting so finite that we had lists of everything and everyone. Most of the teams/kids you would be discussing weren't really Top/Elite at that point just there by default because of the limitations on the field.

I'll stick with a top 10 overall but FYI:

Top AAA girls teams are already on the top 10.

In AA: WHS, RHS, CNHS, FHS, TRHS, SVHS, SSHS would be the top teams after WHS and RHS you've got a pretty even field.

In A Caldwell and Caledonia should be the top 2. The probably Grand Mana and Peticodiac. Then Hartland and Harvey.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Thanks DJR for your response and effort. Appreciated   Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:43 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
I went with the top 10 overall because it seems a better reflection of who the very good teams in province are. We could do a breakdown by division but in AA and A after the top 2-3 teams there is a big drop off. Also a couple of years ago when we started top 10's and top 8's I called some people out on what I felt was getting out of hand beacuse the lists started talking about top JV teams, top players in a particular region, and we were a couple of top 10's away from getting lists of the top 10 left handed point guards in york county who attend school up 80% of the time. It was just getting so finite that we had lists of everything  and everyone. Most of the teams/kids you would be discussing weren't really Top/Elite at that point just there by default because of the limitations on the field.

I'll stick with a top 10 overall but FYI:

Top AAA girls teams are already on the top 10.

In AA: WHS, RHS, CNHS, FHS, TRHS, SVHS, SSHS would be the top teams after WHS and RHS you've got a pretty even field.

In A Caldwell and Caledonia should be the top 2. The probably Grand Mana and Peticodiac. Then Hartland and Harvey.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:27 am

IN A girls RNS girls should definitiely be the in the mix. Keep forgetting they are back in A. Couple of provincial level players and a coaching staff that works to put itself in a position to win. Supporting cast/guard play is a question mark but except against the top A schools they should ahve a pretty easy go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DBL

PostSubject: Dalhousie.   Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:31 pm

Dalhousie should be considered as well. They have some talent there. Don't know who is coaching now but they had a few younger quality players last year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:57 am

No movement to speak of in girls top 10 this weekend. Will need to see some more scores and evidence to cause any real movement. Lions Den and Miramichi Tournament this weekend should be a big indicator.

1. Fredericton
2. KVHS
3. Sussex
4. BMHS
5. LHHS
6. WHS
7. Riverview
8. Rothesay
9. James M. Hill
10. Saint John

Caldwell could make a case for being in but I'm not sure who they bump out. They looked very strong against quality A competition this weekend.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballer2

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:21 pm

[quote="CoachDJR"]No movement to speak of in girls top 10 this weekend. Will need to see some more scores and evidence to cause any real movement. Lions Den and Miramichi Tournament this weekend should be a big indicator.

1. Fredericton
2. KVHS
3. Sussex
4. BMHS
5. LHHS
6. WHS
7. Riverview
8. Rothesay
9. James M. Hill
10. Saint John

Caldwell could make a case for being in but I'm not sure who they bump out. They looked very strong against quality A competition this weekend.

No Tantramar in your top 10? Any reason? i'm a bit suprised as they have hosted AA regionals the past 2 years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:48 pm

DOn't want to make this an attack schools thread by pointing out problems, but I'm glad we can generate some interest in regards to girls basketball.

Why not TRHS you ask?

Great question. I think they are a solid AA team that can probably be a top 4 AA team again this year.

Not in the top 10 yet for some of the following reasons (imo):

- I'm not sure who you would bump out. Maybe a team in the 9/10 spot but I think on paper those teams at least play tougher schedules and have better (or at least more well known) talent. So have better chance this early in the season to end up better.

- They have hosted regionals the last two years with very good teams, but to be fair in both those years most of the other teams in their region would not have made the playoffs in the AA southwest. This isn't their fault but makes the feat of getting to host less of a bargaining chip.

- They hosted but never went to Harbour Station which means for the last two years they can at best argue they were the 3rd/4th best team in AA. I only have 2 teams in AA in the top 10 and 1 is only just come back to AA would probably be a top 4-5 AAA team. The other is the two time defending AA champs. Realistically there is only 1 team that was in AA in the last two years in this top 10, the champs.

- What they've done in the past is fine, but they also did that with arguably the best shooter in the province who along with another senior guard that has gone as well leave big shoes to fill. Their young players may step up and be tough or ever tougher again, but on paper right now they should take a step back or stay at about the same level and that level isn't top 10 based on the numbers.

TRHS is a very strong team, that is always very well coached. I would but them in a tier below those teams now with a couple of the stronger A schools and 2-3 AA schools that are all at about their level. ANyone in that next group of five could possibly move up to an top 10 spot as the season progresses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:06 am

There seems to be a long way from best to rest. KVHS 81 - SJHS 42.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: A top girls team   Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:56 am

IMO

1- JC- obviously the top spot at this point
2- Caledonia- until proven otherwise
3- RNS- have run a good program in the past few yrs
4/5- Canterbury or Hartland at either spot...have to wait and see them play
5- GM
6- Harvey
7- Stanley-always in the mix
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:43 am

Sou_by_Souwest wrote:
There seems to be a long way from best to rest. KVHS 81 - SJHS 42.
Definitely:
KVHS, FHS and maybe the whole top 6/7 are probably 30+ better then from there down. There is definitely a drop off after 9-10 distinctly.

Lots of pretty good teams would get thrashed by the top of the list. Fundy High Lost to Fredericton and Leo Hayes by 40+. John Caldwell lost to Woodstock by 40. Tantrmar lost to Sussex by 40+. These are all teams that could make a push to be into the top 10 at some point this year, but are easily in the next 10. (Maybe even next 5) But are getting wacked early by top teams.

THe goal though is to be the best team you can I really like the fact that these coaches are putting kids in these sorts of games. The smaller school or team coaches for wanting their kids to get the next level, and the larger schools for giving them the games when they most likely could find competition in other places/schools.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BAM

PostSubject: Lions Den   Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:25 pm

With Six of your top ten playing in Freddy this weekend it should be interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:28 pm

The other four (Sussex, Rothesay, JM Hill and SJHS) are playing in a Miramichi tournament. Also two top 10 contenders CNHS and Tantramar are there also.

Should be a a true top 10 by Sunday evening.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Lions Den wraps up   Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:45 pm

bit of a crazy weekend take from it what you can:
Winners girls FHS blew out Leo Hayes by 40;
LHHS def KV in cross over!
FHS squeaks into cross over (1-2) and defeats Wdsk by 3
Here's what I take
FHS very big, very quick, wins without Katie Daley (knee?) last yrs jv team makes very good transition (39-0);
KV banged up short bench may have run out of gas;did defeat FHS and Riverview
Riverview def FHS but falls short in time breaker to get to cross over
LHHS def KV and Wdsk but showed nothing against FHS; Lions very chippy watch your back
Woodstock solid in play vs AAA schools, bad idea to go AA
BMHS did not see but no where to be found on final day
its early!

Boys side
KVHS playing Auburn in final; 2 very athletic teams, KV missing Oneill and Connolly, get healthy should be solid
LHHS def FHS BY 3; FHS without Val Nelson (academics)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:07 pm

brady12 wrote:
Here's what I take
FHS very big, very quick, wins without Katie Daley (knee?) last yrs jv team makes very good transition  (39-0);
LHHS def KV and Wdsk but showed nothing against FHS; Lions very chippy watch your back
its early!

Ya that really clears it all up. LOL any scores from Miramichi?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:17 pm

celtic wrote:
IMO

5- GM
6- Harvey
Celtic...See you pegging Stanley as being in the mix. They are not listed as registered on the NBIAA listing that I could see. Deadline to register and withdraw was Nov 1st. Boys not listed either..Just 4 girls teams playing championship in the entire NE..Just an observation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:44 pm

Unofficial Result from Miramichi:

Sussex over Tantramar 40+
Sussex over Rothesay 15+ Close to the 4th quarter when Rothesay gets in foul trouble
Tanatramar defeats MVHS
James M Hill defeats SJHS by 4 in a low scoring poor shooting affair.
James M Hill defeats Carleton North
SJHS over Harrison Trimble 30+
Carleton North over Harrison Trimble 30+
SJHS over Tantramar 15 +

Need results for the final 2 games.

Need Rothesay and CNHS were playing for 3rd
James M Hill vs. Sussex for gold

Back to top Go down
View user profile
lebronrocks

PostSubject: FHS speaks   Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:49 pm

brady12 wrote:
Here's what I take
FHS very big, very quick, wins without Katie Daley (knee?) last yrs jv team makes very good transition  (39-0);
its early!

Boys side
KVHS playing Auburn in final; 2 very athletic teams, KV missing Oneill and Connolly, get healthy should be solid
LHHS def FHS BY 3; FHS without Val Nelson (academics)
Thanks for the bulletin board material.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BAM

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:19 pm

My take on the Lions Den is a team that went 3-2 won the tournament.
So parity lives and with FHS losing to Riverview in their division game and KV losing to Leo Hayes in the Semis. I think KV and FHS are still 1 and 2 like was mentioned earlier this week but not miles ahead. Granted KV and FHS had key injuries so when those players get back they may distance themselves but it was proved at this point in time they are beatable.Also BMHS beat Leo Hayes but lost to Woodstock.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:23 am

huh...schedule shows girls played Harvey on the 8th and boys play in Nackawic next week

Metta Peace wrote:
celtic wrote:
IMO

5- GM
6- Harvey
Celtic...See you pegging Stanley as being in the mix.  They are not listed as registered on the NBIAA listing that I could see.  Deadline to register and withdraw was Nov 1st.  Boys not listed either..Just 4 girls teams playing championship in the entire NE..Just an observation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:06 am

So this was the weekend that was supposed to sort everything out, and . . .not so much.

We see much more parity then we might have expected in AAA girls games and very little movement in the end.

1. Fredericton - They just kill me. When they are sharp they are unbeatable, but for two years now they lose games where defensively they hold people to less then sixty but can't score 30 pts with teams full of some of the best talent in NB. That being said they got the the finals of the best tournament of the year the year and won it handily. I get that a lot of stuff happened on the way.

2. Sussex - I'm moving them into #2. Maybe not being part of that mess this weekend helps them but they have wins over LHHS and a number of the other teams ranked lower/previously ranked in the top 10 and are undefeated, and deep. As soon as they see someone who can move them down again.

3. KV - One bad loss to LHHS shouldn't hurt this much but it does. You did beat FHS by a wide margin but score only 57 doing it. Bench is short, team has lost players to injury for various periods of time. They were supposed to beat people on depth of talent and now just aren't as deep. Could easily move up to 1 in a few weeks.

4. LHHS - Some great wins on the weekend including 1 over KV. Losses to FHS, Sussex and another top 10 team keep them here. SCrappy defensively and very tough out at home, need to see some of this on the road too. Seem to struggle vs certain matchups.

5. WHS - Now we get really dicey. Woodstock played LHHS and FHS tough but lost. Got some quality wins this weekend though. Clearly a top flight team.

6. Riverview - I guess. The further we go down the list the more difficult it is to put teams who clearly showed they can compete and be better, but its a deep pool and someone has to be. Tough defense and a variety of ways to score, can they out muscle/tough some of the better teams consistently as the year goes?

7. BMHS - Big drop for a team that basically lost out to math. Played well but didn't advance. Early on and they are going to be a tough out that can climb back up easily.

8. James M. Hill - Played well enough in home tournament to make it to final vs Sussex. Need to score more consistently but still deserve a place here.

9. Rothesay- Probably also better then this but end up behind JMH at tourney so here too. Depth is a issue but their best 5 are good.

10. CNHS - moves in by virtue of finishing ahead of SJHS in standings Miramichi tournament.

Next 5 (no particular order): John Caldwell, Saint John High, Fundy, Tantramar, Caledonia

Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: top 10 girls   Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:23 pm

I have no real issue with latest ranking, did not see Sussex or BMHS or anyone at Miramichi so comments are strictly Lions Den based
FHS- very deep, Katie Daley injured out part of Sat and final Sunday; Alyson Colpitts did not play vs Riverview (volleyball!!);
LHHS - will battle but will have to continue to get more from skilled players to win (Keane, Ripley); Bayley Anderson did not play?
KVHS - skill players can match anyone- Abby Macdonald, Jen McTague Emma Jensen- don't have the same depth as last yr and with injuries (Emily Nicholson) and lack of size they may struggle
Riverview- still think they have an upside that may not have been seen
Woodstock- can compete with anyone, good luck when you play at their home
BMHS- just based on the roster and the coaches even though they did not show at the end they will be solid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:01 pm

Pretty much concur with DJR with one exception. Rothesay is at the very least ahead of James M Hill. James M Hill was lucky and avoided the Sussex juggernaut to make the final of the tournament. Rothesay was on the Sussex side of the draw. James M Hill has no size and Rothesay has size and can contain James M Hill shooters.

KV has only 9 girls on the team. (Maybe one was out hurt). Long grind in girls AAA basketball to play with a small roster.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:31 pm

Shots finally start dropping for St. John High varsity girls. Defeat St. Mach's in the Dave McPherson Memorial game 93-56.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Today at 6:06 pm

Back to top Go down

2013-2014 Girls Top 10
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next