HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2013-2014 Girls Top 10

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
NBhoops

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:50 pm

The RCC or CCC is all done by committee made up of alum, and current guys/girls parents who decided the cancellation procedure.

Safety is more important then games. Both guys and girls coaches would have preferred a final I'm sure- tournaments mean nothing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: rankings aaa girls   Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:36 am

putting aside the administration of the RCClassic here is my humble submission based on what I have seen todate:

1 a- FHS still winning and doing so with limited minutes from key starter- still tall and deep
1-b- KV still winning with likely best starting 5 and little depth or size
3 BMHS played well without key starter they can shoot well  and are getting better
4 Sussex- well prepared, young size, move ball well, depth may become an issue
5 Riverview- struggling a bit certainly not far behind anyone
6 Woodstock- I know they are officially AA but they can play with anyone- see some early season growing pains as new coaches make adjustments but they have size and skill- good luck entering their gym
7 LHHS big drop off here, they have not gotten better ( and if you aren't getting better you are getting worse!) to those of you who like so called bulletin board material let me to say some play dirty, not rough or tough, dirty- watch your back!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BAM

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:07 am

Not sure tiebreaker rules should apply when you do not play the same competition . Flipping a coin would be as accurate not saying FHS should not have won just saying do not see the fairness nor follow the justification for putting KV 2nd regardless what NBIAA tie breaking rules say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: bam   Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:44 am

not a problem if we see it different, my rankings not just based on RCC, what are your rankings??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BAM

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:55 am

My comments where solely about the RCC .
Which I do want to say was a first class event.
As for your top 10 I have no problem with it. Did want to mention Riverview is battling injuries as well missing 2 starters this weekend and starting pg has been out three weeks. But no excuses all teams get hit with injuries for the most part.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bkballer

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:45 pm

brady12 wrote:
putting aside the administration of the RCClassic here is my humble submission based on what I have seen todate:

1 a- FHS still winning and doing so with limited minutes from key starter- still tall and deep
1-b- KV still winning with likely best starting 5 and little depth or size
3 BMHS played well without key starter they can shoot well  and are getting better
4 Sussex- well prepared, young size, move ball well, depth may become an issue
5 Riverview- struggling a bit certainly not far behind anyone
6 Woodstock- I know they are officially AA but they can play with anyone- see some early season growing pains as new coaches make adjustments but they have size and skill- good luck entering their gym
7 LHHS big drop off here, they have not gotten better ( and if you aren't getting better you are getting worse!) to those of you who like so called bulletin board material let me to say some play dirty, not rough or tough, dirty- watch your back!

Great site....no page for my province...sad :-( ....but great reading though. To give yourself a championship based on some tie breaking formula that doesn't even apply ? Ballsy move ... The threaten another team " watch your back " even ballsier !!
One question though . In a tournament game the other day the home team had a 38 pt lead with 17 seconds left. But rather than dribble it out the coach took a time out to set up a play to score. The opposing coach considered that extremely unsportsmanlike.  Right or wrong ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: be safe   Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:56 pm

not a threat an observation, and not suggesting that LHHS watch their back rather the teams that play them, be safe not interested in anyone on any team getting hurt
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:04 pm

1. Fredericton: - 3-0 + the point spread + the previous number ranking divded by . . . you get the idea still number 1. Someone beat them then come talk to me. Keeping in mind most of this has been done by them without a full and healthy roster.

2. Sussex - ONly losses so far at two close games to Fredericton and game to the Eastern Maine champs. Solid #2.

3. KV - Your here. You could/should? be higher but short bench and no games recently between them and the top 2 keep them here. Can't wait for these southern conference league games.

4. WHS - ONe bad loss aside they beat teams they should and prove they are a top tier team night in night out.

5. RHS - Fighting injuries right now, but have the talent to be here or higher.

6. BMHS - Probably too low but a couple of bad league losses, and injuries give them room to climb as the year goes on.

7. LHHS - THought it would be a big week for them coming a great league tilt with FHS, but underwhlemed by scores from RCC. They seem to perform better when they are my dark horse pick so I should probably keep them lower until later.

8. James M Hill - Need to see some more scores vs top teams but they've got talent. Games at Thunder Valley should legitimze this or move it down.

9. Rothesay HIgh - Haven't been overwhleming but still clinging to 2nd best team in AA tag and play top teams.

10. JCS - Tough to bump out MVHS but a loss to SJHS who we've had on the outsdie looking in gives JCS the chance to move up. WIn over Woodstock is huge, and they've beaten everyone else they should without a bad loss on the books.

Next 5 (in not particular order) - MVHS, SJHS, Caledonia, SVHS, Tantramar
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:44 am

OK, lets recap.

Last week Bernice McNaugton tumbles down to 9th after a loss to MVHS and MVHS jumps into the top 10 from the also runs. Leo Hayes is in 5th last week.  John Caldwell gets squat after a big win over Woodstock.

This week Leo Hayes defeats Bernice McNaughton by 13 . True BM did get close to Fredericton, but a loss is a loss. Leo Hayes gets dropped to 7th for a head to head win and BM gets 6th? Meanwhile, SJHS, gets nothing but they beat the 8th seeded team who last week beat the newly ranked 6th seeded team? (Are you following me?). And James M Hill gets to stay in the top 10 since they play no one? And John Caldwell limps into top 10.

So rather then just criticizing may I present the new computer model generated (just kidding)

1. Fredericton -- top of the heap until someone beats them head to head.
2. Sussex -- just a little deeper than KV. Head to head in conference will decide this one
3. KV  -- See note on Sussex.
4. Leo Hayes (They beat BM and Woodstock head to head)
5. Woodstock - solid results with one blip
6. Riverview (they beat BM and played Fredericton Close)
7. Bernice McNaughton (sorry lost to Riverview, Leo Hayes and Miramichi Valley)
8. Rothesay High - after Christmas tournaments will tell the tale.
9. John Caldwell - beat Woodstock - props - do they have any more tough games on there schedule to judge them by? Grand Falls not in my beat;)
10. James M Hill (defeated SJHS early in year in close game. Lost to Riverview  this week by  19 -- plays MVHS this week, too dependent on outside shot)
11.Saint John High (defeated Miramichi Valley, who defeated Bernice McNaughton, young and improving)
12. MVHS (defeated BM two weeks ago, lost to SJHS this week by 14, achilles heel -- small, small, small, but quick , quick, quick . Young like Saint John High)

SVHS , Calendonia, Fundy   -- Need a few more games against top 12 to get a read.

I dont think Tantramar is in the mix (losses to both Rothesay and Saint John High by double digits. Did eke one out over a young MVHS team early in the year).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BAM

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:42 am

I may be wrong on this so please correct me if I am, But hasn't KV only lost one game so far and didn't they beat FHS's full lineup by over 20? I agree FHS is number 1. But shouldn't KV be number 2 I think they had a dominant performance against FHS and no one else can say that. I put more stock in that then two close losses by Sussex to FHS. KV also went 3-0 in the RCC against good competition.
Just my opinion that KV warrants a number 2 seed if not a 1B.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:12 pm

BAM wrote:
I may be wrong on this so please correct me if I am, But hasn't KV only lost one game so far and didn't they beat FHS's full lineup by over 20? I agree FHS is number 1. But shouldn't KV be number 2 I think they had a dominant performance against FHS and no one else can say that. I put more stock in that then two close losses by Sussex to FHS. KV also went 3-0 in the RCC against good competition.
Just my opinion that KV warrants a number 2 seed if not a 1B.

Good points. They did take care of FHS at the Den I don't think you are going to get very many days that FHS scores less then 30 and that was immeidately after a re0injury to Daley and they were missing/limiting their volleyball kid. but maybe I'm not giving KVHS d enough credit. The same tournament they lost to LHHS who FHS hammered by 40. Which was sort the up and down theme for that weekend. I'ld prefer to look at the closer games recently, too bad KVHS didn't get a shot at them again this past weekend. KV will play Sussex twice in league play and has plenty of chance to prove themselves. KV might be the best AAA team in the province but we don't decide those things in Dec.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rivhoops

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:36 pm

Riverview defeats KV in Exhibition play today 63-57. Riverview still playing with reduced roster.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://riverviewhoops.wix.com/riverview-hoops#
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:43 pm

Post turkey basketball, great teams on guys and girls side at TVC

First Day Ladies Results from TVC:

Woodstock thumps Fundy and beats Sussex easily.
Sussex loses to WHS and runs all over Caledonia.
Fundy loses big to Woody and beats Caledonia.
Leo Hayes thumps JCS and CNHS
JMH beats CNHS and loses go JCS

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:15 pm

Riverview varsity girls defeated Saint John High today 75-63. Getting a little tighter from first to worst in the top ten.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:27 pm

TVC day 2

Sussex over Fundy and Leo Hayes
Woodstock over Caledonia and JC
JC over CNHS lose to WHS
Leo Hayes beats JMH and losses to Sussex.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:32 am

I think we have to rank WHS gals at 2 or 3 now as they beat Sussex 2 times by 10+. Does anyone not agree?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BAM

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:07 am

I have no problem with Woodstock at 3. I would rank KV at 2. and FHS of course at 1. But it is close as Riverview has been a handful for these top team as well.
I agree with maybe Sussex 4. and Riverview 5. Followed by BMHS and Leo Hayes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:51 am

New Top 11 Based on results this weekend

1. Fredericton
2. Woodstock (Have to be here -- defeated Sussex twice)
3. Sussex (defeated Leo Hayes and lost to Woodstock twice)
4. Riverview (defeated KV and Saint John High)
5. KV (lost to Riverview close game)
6. Leo Hayes (lost in Semis to Sussex this weekend)
7. Bernice McNaughton (holding)
8. Rothesay (Need to play someone soon)
9. Saint John (12 point game with Riverview and defeated MVHS just before Xmas)
10. MVHS (handily defeated James M Hill)
11. John Caldwell ( lost to Woodstock and Leo Hayes by 30+ and defeated James M Hill this weekend)

Does not look to be much after these 11.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakercoach

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:02 pm

BAM is a more accurate compilation than SBS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:17 pm

How can KV still be 2 when they lost to Riverview? Does not make sense. your Ranking is based on your ability to win games in real life. Not what your theoretical roster can be in a a year. KV is playing with a short roster and over the long haul of the season they are not going to be able to keep up with teams with deeper benches.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spartan

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:41 pm

Rankings should be based on games played not theoretical situations in the future. KV beat FHS soundly, beat Woodstock twice, and Riverview twice, before losing the turkey game to them, less one starter on vacation. Conference game vs Sussex was cancelled due to weather. Stay tuned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:42 pm

Your most recent body of work has the highest influence on your rating (modeled after US College rankings). Riverview was also missing starters over Christmas. If you lose to a team with a lower seed that is within 4 or 5 rankings of your team, you have to fall below them. Teams improve. Riverboat is near and KV plays Woodstock and probably Fredericton before the tournament is over. So KV can go as high as 1 with a victory over Fredericton and Woodstock.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BAM

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:50 pm

Still do not think Woodstock is number 2 based on a couple wins over Sussex as Sussex did not deserve the 2 seed based on two close loses to FHS. Only Top team Sussex has beat is Leo Hayes isn't it.Didn't KV beat Woodstock very recently? That said I agree after FHS there are cases to be made for a few teams to be 2-5.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:21 pm

Citadel (Hfx) dismantled FHS girls by 25+ on Sunday; the interesting thing was how the game was officiated in NS, it was much more similar to how Nationals U15/17 are officiated, ie lot more physical, not as many fouls- could this be one of the reasons NS frequently does better than NB. My opinion of NB officiating is that way too many fouls are called, let 'em play as long as its not dirty and someone is likely to get hurt
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stars12

PostSubject: Woodstock   Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:43 pm

Really sad to see Woodstock ranked second in the province and playing AA..Always play up to challenge your student athletes and coaches...Seems like a simple life lesson to me!

I guess being a Carleton North alumni , this may seem contrived but I care less about results NOW as much as I do preparing NB kids to compete Nationally and go on to the next level!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2013-2014 Girls Top 10   Today at 12:43 am

Back to top Go down

2013-2014 Girls Top 10
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next