HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

BCSS - Petition : Re - Private Schools

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mikegraham

PostSubject: BCSS - Petition : Re - Private Schools   Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:35 pm

This is an open petition to BCSS.

We were all watching the imbroglio between public schools vs independent schools in Vancouver for years until the independent schools willed their way they want in the last year.

Now similar situation has allegedly been started for the upcoming season in FV by Holy cross emulating their counterparts from Vancouver. They allegedly added so far 4 players past 2 years - Konghbo, twins and Dodazzo. Not sure whether there is scholarships awarded or any kind of church sponsorship involved. If there is any, the players who got benefited by such things must not be allowed to represent.  The same apply for other private schools such as WRCA and MEI.  Come on BCSS.  These schools were lying under the radar for so many years and now with their upgrade to 4A , it is time for closer auditing. Nip this practice in bud before these kind of practices gets more bolder in future.

It is all setting the level field.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: BCSS - Petition : Re - Private Schools   Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:08 am

FYI regarding Holy Cross' 4 'additions', both Dododza (has been at HC since gr.10) and Kongbo live with there respective families in Surrey within geographic distance to the school. And the Maduabueke brothers came to the school last year as part of a recognized international student exchange program.

All students and athletes, along with the school have surely all went through proper channels and paperwork to assure legitimizy. I see no improprieties with accordance to the BC High School Boys Basketball Associations guidelines and regulations.

If you can outline which specific regulation that has been broken please inform us, some clarification and facts to back up allegations against any specific schools and situations would be appreciated. Your post is just baseless conjecture without the knowledge of factual evidence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachinainteasy

PostSubject: Re: BCSS - Petition : Re - Private Schools   Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:42 pm

D4.1.2 Ungraded Student-Athletes: for ungraded Student-Athletes in schools where it is difficult to determine when a Student-Athlete entered Grade 8 (e.g.: middle school, K - 10, K - 12 schools), the Student-Athlete
will be considered to be a Grade 8 Student-Athlete in the school year commencing in September of the calendar year in which the Student- Athlete becomes thirteen (13) years of age.

how old are they? any proof of players being in grade 8 early?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PressThis

PostSubject: Re: BCSS - Petition : Re - Private Schools   Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:15 pm

What does "geographic distance mean"? what public school would they go to if they did not go to HC? Do players receive any discounted tuition at HC over other students?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikegraham

PostSubject: Re: BCSS - Petition : Re - Private Schools   Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:04 pm

Unlike their counterparts from Vancouver, HC presents an unique situation. Opportunity through church sponsorship enables them to tap vast resources which the public schools never have. Dododza is brought in thro this program.  Exchange program is an excellent program where kids are brought in for certain years and mostly for a year but has a room to extend beyond the first year. For eg, a kid at MEI is brought in for one year at his grade 10 but still playing at Grade 12. The twins at HC allegedly has the same route. Sometimes in such situation age is also a grey area.

It is always timed in such a way that they are brought into the program in their junior year and they get the "privilege" of representing their sponsored school. The "privilege" becomes "RIGHT" in their senior year.  We know that if they are sponsored in their senior year, the chances of eligibility is difficult and so they were slided in their junior years where not so closer scrutiny is available. A clear instance of privilege translated into right.

As far as the kid who lives in the "geographical distance", the less said it is better as this kid had lived in same" same geographical distance" of Kits in the past.

As regards, discounted tuition or some one picking up the tab, it is for the BCSS to scrutinize them.

Plea to BCSS is to audit them closer and set the level field.  If not acted now, it will reach alarming proportion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: BCSS - Petition : Re - Private Schools   Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:39 pm

All players were playing last season and no age/grade eligibility issues were broken, so assuming the BCHSBball Assoc. found them all eligible to play last year I don't see any problems arising this year. All are age eligible as all are under 19 as of Dec.31 of this year as per BCHSBball regulations. All of the kids live within 10km from the school and Dododza actually lives less than one block away from the school.

Exactly why these players are being singled out and questioned is intriguing as from my vantage point the color of their skin is the only difference between them and various other players and programs who have went through similar situations, as a factor as to why certain posters (who are not regular posters and only recently joined the board) are questioning their validity. As a visual minority myself I do find that there is still an underlying feeling from some not the majority at all but a small few that find it hard to believe in and support minority players here in BC. This is strictly my opinion but I have been to games and been in the stands when I have heard from my own ears and seen with my own eyes taunts and jeers because of the color of a players skin. I find this issue maybe not be of eligibility but discrimination by a few select individuals who seem opposed to the growth and success of minorities in this province.

If these players you question were say playing AA or AAA would you be posting a similar petition? I highly doubt it, and if the players were not high level athletes but bench players would you be as vigorous in your claims to audit there records? I again highly doubt it.

If people do have concerns regarding breaks in official regulations please put forth a formal appeal through representative coaches for the schools in the district and let the BCHSBball Assoc. take the appropriate actions where necessary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PressThis

PostSubject: Re: BCSS - Petition : Re - Private Schools   Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:45 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
All players were playing last season and no age/grade eligibility issues were broken, so assuming the BCHSBball Assoc. found them all eligible to play last year I don't see any problems arising this year. All are age eligible as all are under 19 as of Dec.31 of this year as per BCHSBball regulations. All of the kids live within 10km from the school and Dododza actually lives less than one block away from the school.

Exactly why these players are being singled out and questioned is intriguing as from my vantage point the color of their skin is the only difference between them and various other players and programs who have went through similar situations, as a factor as to why certain posters (who are not regular posters and only recently joined the board) are questioning their validity. As a visual minority myself I do find that there is still an underlying feeling from some not the majority at all but a small few that find it hard to believe in and support minority players here in BC. This is strictly my opinion but I have been to games and been in the stands when I have heard from my own ears and seen with my own eyes taunts and jeers because of the color of a players skin. I find this issue maybe not be of eligibility but discrimination by a few select individuals who seem opposed to the growth and success of minorities in this province.

If these players you question were say playing AA or AAA would you be posting a similar petition? I highly doubt it, and if the players were not high level athletes but bench players would you be as vigorous in your claims to audit there records? I again highly doubt it.

If people do have concerns regarding breaks in official regulations please put forth a formal appeal through representative coaches for the schools in the district and let the BCHSBball Assoc. take the appropriate actions where necessary.

I know this may be a sensitive topic but certainly no need to play race card....Also, "new poster" doesn't mean an inappropriate motive is in play.

Could just be bad optics but few people have real story so I suspect this is why questions of fairness get raised at times. There is also seems like there is a lot of misunderstandings. For example, many think that some private school athletes get discounted tuition to help draw them which they view as unfair playing field. Is this case? Either way, I do totally agree that any specific concerns go through appropriate channels for review.

These kind of issues will continue to come up regardless of rules until there is some kind of new approach ie a truly open division where players go to where they want etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: BCSS - Petition : Re - Private Schools   Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:12 pm

PressThis wrote:

I know this may be a sensitive topic but certainly no need to play race card....Also, "new poster" doesn't mean an inappropriate motive is in play.

Could just be bad optics but few people have real story so I suspect this is why questions of fairness get raised at times.  There is also seems like there is a lot of misunderstandings.  For example, many think that some private school athletes get discounted tuition to help draw them which they view as unfair playing field.  Is this case?  Either way, I do totally agree that any specific concerns go through appropriate channels for review.  

These kind of issues will continue to come up regardless of rules until there is some kind of new approach ie a truly open division where players go to where they want etc.
I agree, the optics are bad on this one as a specific school and specific players were named in the original post. I felt a need to put forth what actual factual information I had regarding that specific situation. If the original post was a broad petition against all players and schools who go about breaking regulations I would of taken the point differently than I did as the post identified specific individuals. As you said, if there are any complaints or questions please go to the official coaches and members of the BC High School Basketball Association with any tangible evidence to any wrongdoing and not just here-say or speculation and let the Association govern and rule accordingly following its current by-laws and regulations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fraservalley

PostSubject: Re: BCSS - Petition : Re - Private Schools   Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:35 pm

and not that I believe HC is doing anything wrong, but there's also a fifth player who came in last year. Former Provincial Team kid, Ope from Pacific Academy. He has been hurt all summer. If any "recruiting" for Kongbo occurred it was by the players that were already there, not the coaches. I'm just glad the Alberta kid that went back east didn't end up at Walnut Grove. That would have been three players in three years (Monture 2012, Mayorga 2013)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BCSS - Petition : Re - Private Schools   Today at 5:14 am

Back to top Go down

BCSS - Petition : Re - Private Schools
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1