HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Senior Boys 4A

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Aball

PostSubject: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:00 pm

Ok, let's start the discussion of top teams for the upcoming season. I have heard Bishop McNally will be the top program in Calgary and maybe the province. What is happening down south with Cardston and Raymond? What program has the edge in Edmonton?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
southball

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:45 am

Cardston will be solid once again but won't have the size they had last year. They'll have very strong guards though and good shooters. Will be a strong team and in contention for south zone banner. Raymond I think will be a step up from last year...but not a very big step. Will be a struggle for a few years for Raymond I think. LCI will be strong again. They lost a lot of grade 12s but have a solid group coming up from there JV team last year that had an undefeated season. Add a few key players in Overwater and Mcdonald and they should have a nice team. I would think you'd see Cardston and LCI in the south zone final again. But, Hat High will be good as well so who knows.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:33 pm

Magrath has some solid players returning in Gieske and McMahon. MHH has a good combination in Sparkes and Brown. Possibly the best 2 players in the province this year could be Mike Pierzchala at WC and Seran Westrop at LCI. It should be a competitive season in the south. Can't wait!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:29 pm

Looks like Edmonton finally merged the public and Catholic schools into one league. This should really help the level of play up there as the top teams will not have so many "easy" regular season games. Teams like JP, Shep, Oleary, Francis, Ainlay will now have to play each other in league.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
southball

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:37 pm

ya Churchill could be a good team as well. Really the south should be quite competitive. I would think the top teams would be LCI, Cardston, Churchill, and Hat High. CCH will be hardworking as usual but maybe won't have the talent they have had. I can't see Raymond or Chinook making a challenge at all. Magrath has a few decent players but those two along with Carter Hansen I don't think will be enough to carry them past the top teams. Should be an exciting and competitive season though. There probably won't be any really easy games at all. Most schools seem to have at least enough talent to make each game competitive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steamrolled

PostSubject: Alberta Boys 2013-14   Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:14 pm

Bishop McNally should be unstoppable in Calgary

they return Kamba - who is easily the most dominant player in the city (especially since Adonis left)
- with Adonis at SWC would have changed everything
but B Mcnally should go 12-0

In edmonton from what I hear Harry Ainlay is completely loaded
and Oleary is stacked as well

Ainlay got probably the best grade 9 player since Mangisto and an unreal PG

Oleary got two sick twins who are like 6'4 and 220 each - and then they have that high flyer back from last year

Ainlay and OL should be 1-2

In south

LCI has the best player in Saren plus a very good supporting cast

I would not sleep on Magrath - simply bacause of coach Gallup
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:33 am

@steamrolled
Mathieu Kamba will be huge for McNally but not enough to go 12-0 in a 10 game season. Unless there are big changes in the Calgary league this year. And a second 5'6" pg wouldn't change SWC fortunes come March. Those are shots in the dark.

Interesting reasoning behind the Ainlay/OL 1-2 prediction in Edmonton. Is that because you believe grade 10 players generally dominate high school basketball year after year?

I assume the players you're talking about played for the alberta U15 team this summer. I watched some of those Nationals games streamed from Newfoundland. As a group they looked relatively better (NOTE - not close to being actually better) than the U17s with some very big and athletic players but I would say that overall Alberta's U15s were a little short on talent, skill and game sense. You could count up the travel calls but it was easier to see the obvious problems in the couple games I saw. Big and athletic but poor fundamentals, sketchy footwork and not great basketball. A lot of 1 on 1 offense; constantly going for the steals and losing defensive positioning; poor team defence which often looked like attempts to avoid picking up fouls; a leak out almost every possession going for the easy fast break glory points instead of boxing out. Perhaps it was the result of inexperienced and/or lazy coaching. Perhaps it was just selfish play. Probably a bit of both. But the key here is that they were U15 this summer, not U17, and anyone who thinks that those players will come in and dominate the high school 4A league in Edmonton are dreaming. Or they are those players. Probably both.

If you think Ainlay and OL will be 1-2, give up something besides how great the grade 10s are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steamrolled

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:05 pm

I am not going to get into bashing to U15 or U17 teams -

I just think that Aher kid from Ainlay is going to be very hard to stop - and yes even if he is in grade 10 _ just as mangisto did

regarding Mcnally - I just said they would go 12-0 assuming there was 12 games - if there is 10 - then 10-0 - I just dont see any matchup for him in calgary - and they also have other parts - so its not a 1 man team

Ainlay and Oleary IMO should be 1-2 based on they both have huge portions of their teams back - and they both will have been at provincials - so they will both know how to play come march

JP and FX and Shep - the other 3 teams that typicaly make up the top 5 in Edmonton will also be very good - and should all be top 10-15 teams in the province - but each of those teams either lost key players (that will not be replaced) or dont have the depth of an Ainlay

FX always manages to be a very good team - so because of that - they will be top 5 in Edmonton

Shep - has probably the best overall player in Edmonton - - they are lacking in other areas but Abdul alone will make them a top 15 team

JP - like FX has managed to always be good - they lose their 6'7 guy and some other good ballers - but reeturn 2 players that played u17 and u16 - that has to account for something

Oleary - really only lost that shooter ASop and they have back that post that looks like Michael Strahan who is very good and that high flyer Curey I think is his name - plus those twins WILL contribute (even as grade 10's) just as the ainlay ones will

Ainlay - has Awok, Barento and Andre back - that is as solid 3 man group as anyone or any tean
- add in that Ahere and Marvin and they will be a top 3 team in Alb
Back to top Go down
View user profile
For Three

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:43 pm

That sounds like a fairly broad generalization based on a couple of choppy internet streamed games. There has to be more talent on that U15 team than you suggest and there has to be at least a couple players that will contribute to their high school teams this coming year. If you're that critical of the U15 team I hate to take a guess at what you saw watching the U17 games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:06 pm

@ steamrolled
Thats more interesting and has a bit more merit than just saying the grade 10s are awesome.

@ For Three
You're right. To be fair, the U15s didn't finish too badly and I only saw them in a couple of losses. I think I can go back and watch their archived games online still. I'll watch a couple of their wins and look for those players steamrolled pointed out. It was meant to be a comparison against the top 4A basketball in the province and while I don't think I'm going to see players who are capable of dominating ASAA 4A high school ball, there may be some who can contribute.

Matching steamrolled's information up I'm looking for HA's Aher Uguak, "best grade 9 player since Mangisto" and the two "sick twins" going to OL which must be Minat and Ogat Ogat. I can't find the "unreal pg" Marvin on the U15 roster at the BA or the Nationals site. Who is Marvin?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steamrolled

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:30 pm

that marvin moved up and played on the U17 team - even though he was in grade 9

I know its tough for grade 10's to be key players on "contending" teams - however looking back at the last 4-5 years there have been some cases
obviously mangisto
- jimmy ralph - raymond
- justin folsom - cardston
- adonis - swc
- derien - swc
- kyle peterson - ainlay
- denzel - jp
- sparkes - MH - leading scorer in gr 10

all of these players played huge roles on their teams - even as grade 10's
so while it is tough - it is possible for grade 10's to be key guys
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steamrolled

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:32 pm

hey 12321 - regardless what are your thoughts on a top 10-15 in different cities/zones and alberta

for me I have

1. Ainlay
2. McNally
3. Oleary
4. LCI
5. Churchill - even without Adonis
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Its looks like Marvin Washington on the U17 team. Bold move to play up when he could have been a strong player in his own age group. There is a Miles Washington (player) and a Marvin Washington (coach) on the U15 team. Family? What's the story there?

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-9523-0-0-0&sID=269573

I love how #6 is standing on his toes in the picture!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steamrolled

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:10 pm

I think they are brothers and the dad is a coach

so those 2 added to an already strong Ainlay bunch will make a huge difference

I am mostly familiar with south teams - but have seen alot of these edmonton and calgary teams

also FOOTHILLS will be VERY strong as well - size, athleticism, good coaching, and they will be veteran too

they travelled as a team together throughout the summer - so they have the chemistry already

I would add them into a top 1-7 in the province

Back to top Go down
View user profile
steamrolled

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:13 pm

ya that team pic you sent

the tallest kid is at Ainlay - the two twins on each side of him are at Oleary

I saw their games online

the reason they struggled in semi (but actually played Ontario tough) is because of Ontario's size all around

Alberta was playing 5'6 guards - 5'10 guards - ontario throws 6'3 and 6'4 guards at you - it has an uimpact on everything - passing lanes, rebounding, etc

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:29 pm

I'm surprised they wouldn't want to play on the same team considering all the travel those BA teams have to do. Aren't they both at HA this year or did the U15 Washington go to a different school? Do the brothers not play well together?

How would you rank the south this year 1 through 10? Any projections of starters for each team?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steamrolled

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:51 pm

1. LCI
- Saren, Zac, Colton, Jack and Arjun will likley start

2. Med Hat
- Lewis, Liam, Josh, Cam and Kyle F will likely start

3. Magrath
- Scott, Derek, Tim, Hansen will be main 4 - not sure about rest

4. Cardston
Clayton and Rylan will make up their main 1-2 scoring punch, but guys from JV will step up

5 - 8 not sure any order of Churchill prob 5 - but CCHS, Raymond. Chinook

Kainai and Myers will be weak
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:16 pm

steamrolled wrote:

1. LCI
- Saren, Zac, Colton, Jack and Arjun will likley start
2. Med Hat
- Lewis, Liam, Josh, Cam and Kyle F will likely start
3. Magrath
- Scott, Derek, Tim, Hansen will be main 4  - not sure about rest
4. Cardston
Clayton and Rylan will make up their main 1-2 scoring punch, but guys from JV will step up
5 - 8 not sure any order of Churchill prob 5 - but CCHS, Raymond. Chinook
Kainai and Myers will be weak
Colton Gibb has graduated. That's was a typo on the roster.

What about the Washington brothers? You seem to know them. What's up with that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steamrolled

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:46 pm

Oops

Mason Gibbs

Younger bro
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:42 pm

Nice recovery and avoidance/deflection again. Good promo skills too. You serve the Cap well. You should get on a board somewhere and help some kids play who otherwise wouldn't get the opportunity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:29 pm

I'm told the top three in Calgary will be McNally, Churchill, and O'Byrne. Some discussion that Churchill will be better off without Adonis as the ball will be shared a little better. McNally will have the top talent from top to bottom and O'Byrne just has a whole bunch of athletes and a strong junior team from last year. As usual, the Higher Hoops will tell the early story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steamrolled

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:39 pm

I dont know about "better off" without Adonis - but definitely alot of guys with the ability will get their chance now - churchillis always loaded with talent and athleticism - which is a great combination for basketball

the top 3 indicated by ABALL - might be bang on - but I would not write off

Ernest Manning
Western
or St. Marys

all 3 are very dangerous teams who possess key players

Back to top Go down
View user profile
withoutapause

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:20 pm

One thing that is for sure, PK will not be the same without their best player and bigman. I was just told within the last hour that the bigfella has left PK and moved back to Saskatchewan. The word is that he was involved in some extracurricular activities that go far beyond school and athletics. Regardless, the kid that mysteriously showed up in the St. Albert area as a relative of the coach has departed. #hurtingprogram

To be honest, it wasn't like PK was gonna win anyway. Stanley has had numerous teams FULL of talent at JP as well as PK and has never delivered so it might be a better situation for this kid to jumnp ship and relocate from his relative #hint-hint
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:03 pm

OK, how big and how good was this mysterious relative?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steamrolled

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:52 pm

Don't start hating on coaches please

I don't think there is any need to bash PK coaches or anyone for that matter

Coaches don't get paid to coach hs sports

They do it cause they love the sport and kids
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Today at 4:58 pm