HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Senior Boys 4A

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ball123

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:03 pm

The South:

1. Cardston; they have a strong backcourt with Clayton Leavitt being one of the best guards in Alberta this year. There speed and experience should help them win the south. Height is their weakness.

2. LCI; they have a good frontcourt which could take them far but there backcourt needs a lot of work. They should give Cardston some tough competition.

3 or 4. Winston or Med Hat; These two teams have star players like Mike(Winston) and Josh(Med Hat) who could help them to win some key games.

5. Magrath; They have good height and experience but there backcourt needs some work.

6,7,8... Raymond, Myers, kianai.

The south should be some tough competition this year. It should be an exciting year of hoops!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
withoutapause

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:20 pm

Aball wrote:
OK, how big and how good was this mysterious relative?
The kid was about 6'6" and was slated to be one of the top players in the Province. He was a game breaker and the game is over for PK.

To Steamrolled - Buddy not bashing, this is basketball news and this is a basketball website. But to be honest, it kills me how specific coaches and their programs can be drug through the mood because of rumours but other coaches and their programs are allowed to continue to function even when their hands have been caught in the cookie jar. Whoever the coach and or coaches are, there's no way this kid ever was a relative and it has taken me to come on here and state that; meanwhile this kid touched down in the Edmonton area 2 years ago. If it wasn't for the kid doing some stupid stiff, he would've finished off his senior season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
withoutapause

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:23 pm

Ball123 wrote:
The South:

1. Cardston; they have a strong backcourt with Clayton Leavitt being one of the best guards in Alberta this year. There speed and experience should help them win the south. Height is their weakness.

2. LCI; they have a good frontcourt which could take them far but there backcourt needs a lot of work. They should give Cardston some tough competition.

3 or 4. Winston or Med Hat; These two teams have star players like Mike(Winston) and Josh(Med Hat) who could help them to win some key games.

5.  Magrath; They have good height and experience but there backcourt needs some work.

6,7,8... Raymond, Myers, kianai.

The south should be some tough competition this year. It should be an exciting year of hoops!!!
I heard the other day that the South hosts Provincials, if so, you might as well put their name on the trophy because the rest of the Province isn't good enough to go into that area and win. Just doesn't happened too often!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:35 pm

I think the key to winning Alberta this year will be size. There is a real lack of it at the high school level. This is why I was so interested in the PK player. I believe LCI might have an edge in the south as they do have a decent front line and this may lead them to a 4A title because, as stated above, the provincials are in the deep south this year. McNally has a strong big but he doesn't always play BIG.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steamrolled

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:09 pm

I dont know where you get your info - but this PK player (or former player now) has been playing for St albert Slam (the community system_) for at least 6 years (grade 7-12)

and usually when someone plays for slam - they go to either PK, st albert high or bellrose

dont know what is fishy about this?>

Back to top Go down
View user profile
steamrolled

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:18 pm

I dont know about "handing" it to a south team

there will be lots of quality teams from Edmonton, and Calgary that will have skill, depth, and athleticism and SIZE

I agree that size is "important" but is it definitely not the be all, end all

1)the Raymond team that won - didnt have huge monsters - they were blessed with unreral guard play and a dominant athlete in ralph
- so if there are Edm, Cal or south teams that possess this - it is a way you can overcome size

2) also - coaching is another key factor that comes to play
- ive seen 6'8 players be underutilized and not key componenets of an offence or defence - therefore - the "size" becomes an non factor
- this has always happened and will continue too
OR the ability for coaches to get their undersized players to play "bigger then they are" can also help
example --> Western that won provincials - no huge players
a bunch of 6'2 or 6'3 but their abiklity to shoot and drive and team qucikness on defence - made it a liability for the other team to have their traditional 6'7 back to the basket posts out there

3) team chemistry - this is where I will give you the fact that most south teams have the advantage in that they have played together for 6 plus years - alot of these programs start at least when the kids are in grade 7 and that group of kids tends ot form the junior high team - which leads to the varsity team - sometimes these teams start even earlier (grade 2, 3, or 4)

Edmonton and Calgary is starting to figure out that this is huge key (or way to overcome, size, skill, etc) and alot of these coaches, teams, parent groups get these kids together in grade 5,6,or 7 and they stay together
- this is a HUGE factor and benefit to those that put in the work to create this "south culture"

Am I right on any of these poinst?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
New_Guy22

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:09 pm

I don't buy the fact that the provincials are in the south a south team will win. in 2010 Raymond was ranked #1 and Cardston was ranked #2. Neither of them even made the semifinals. Grandin knocked off Raymond and St. FX knocked off Cardston. The top 4 teams were from Cgy and Edm. 1st- Western 2nd- Grandin 3rd- St. FX 4th- Jasper Place
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:23 pm

Aball wrote:
I think the key to winning Alberta this year will be size. There is a real lack of it at the high school level. This is why I was so interested in the PK player. I believe LCI might have an edge in the south as they do have a decent front line and this may lead them to a 4A title because, as stated above, the provincials are in the deep south this year. McNally has a strong big but he doesn't always play BIG.
I agree. Certainly a more important factor than the provincials being down here. Who are the bigs (6'5"+) this year and where are they playing?

Zac Overwater, 6'6", LCI
Saren Westrop, 6'6", LCI
Lewis Brown, 6'5", MHH
Scott Gieske, 6'7" Magrath
Ryan Morck, 6'8", Airdrie
Otas Iyekekpolor, 6'8", Lillian Osborne
Matthew Ellis, 6'6", Earnest Manning
Logan Hymas, 6'8", Airdrie

Last edited by 12321 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
For Three

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:00 pm

Otas is at Lillian Osborne.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steamrolled

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:40 pm

What about guards and forwards

Who stands out
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old & Grey

PostSubject: Info   Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:11 am

A couple weeks back I see that steamrolled mentioned that Marvin from Ainay played AB U17 as a grade 10 and the 12321 says that was a bold move or something........he was born in 1997 and didn't have a choice, he had to play U17's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:48 am

Steamrolled already knew that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baller14

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:47 pm

MHH's Sparks is really looking forward to this year. But I hear rumors of him laying his basketball career to rest and pick up water polo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steamrolled

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:36 pm

Yes I knew that Marvin was of grade 11 age

Too bad as it would have made u15 that much better

He is a rocket

Also some
Rumblings I've heard

I heard a real good guard from shep left and went to a prep school

Also heard oleary lost some post to a prep school in the states

And Jp lost another player to a prep school
What's up with all of this

True

Not ?

What is it with this prep school dream
That kids follow and doesn't do much for them
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:32 pm

Baller14 wrote:
MHH's Sparks is really looking forward to this year. But I hear rumors of him laying his basketball career to rest and pick up water polo
Funny. Chad will love that one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steamrolled

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:50 am

hearing JP's chemistry is high and they are looking good

they will overacheive and exceed expecatations

perhaps a Top 2 edmonton seed in Provincials
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopfan123

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:19 pm

Top teams in the south...
1. LCI-won't have too many close games in the south
2. Med Hat-only team to contend with lci
3. Cardston-solid, but much weaker than previous years
4. Magrath-some key returners
5. Raymond-will be weak once again
6. CCH-a bit of a wild card, lost a lot (including coach?)
7. Churchill-only 1 player, will battle with Chinook for the basement
8. Chinook-not much for talent, weak JV team coming up, only W may come vs churchill but may go winless
Myers and Kainai both left the league so they don't have to play 4A. LCI and Med Hat will likely be in zone final. With Chinook and Magrath hosting 4A provincials, do they get auto berths to provincials? South zone won't be as dominant in province as they typically are, would be surprised if any team is competing for prov banner. Is any team going to touch LCI?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:03 pm

@hoopfan123

Do you know anything about the 8 team 4A bylaw being suspended this year for the Southern Alberta High School Basketball League?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopfan123

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:33 pm

No I don't. That league has always relied on forcing weaker teams to play 4A to fill out their zone draw. Not sure what it will look like this year with smaller schools dropping out in Kainai and Taber. Does anyone know if Chinook and Magrath get berths to provincials as hosts? That would make sense, but would be very disappointing for the top teams of the league. With the south being weaker on the provincial level they may not get a wild-card birth, which would mean the only team going to prov's would be the zone champions, plus a VERY weak Chinook team and a decent team in Magrath.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ramfan

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:54 pm

Nobody from the south will be able to compete with LCI this year. And I wouldn't count them out as provincial contenders. Not sure if they were able to recruit any players this year from other schools like they have in the past, but they'll still be real solid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:46 pm

WC is hosting 3A. Something has to give somewhere as they have to be playing 3A.

I think WC will be better than 7th but I agree that no one in south and perhaps the province will be able to compete with LCI.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steamrolled

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:20 pm

Maybe when the first rankings come out it will look like
1 lci
2 cardston
3 bob
4 grandin
5 ainlay
6 stfx
7 Churchill
8 oleary
9 notre dame
10 Jp

Thoughts ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopitup

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:41 am

steamrolled wrote:
Maybe when the first rankings come out it will look like
1 lci
2 cardston
3 bob
4 grandin
5 ainlay
6 stfx
7 Churchill
8 oleary
9 notre dame
10 Jp

Thoughts ?
I don't think the rankings come out until a few weeks into the season. What tournaments are these big teams in? LCI will be tough, but I wouldn't put them #1 without other information or a couple solid early season wins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:10 pm

Preseason means you don't get games to see how they are. On paper, LCI has to be #1.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:52 am

Why LCI at #1. Because they had 2 provincial team players? There are alot of kids that didnt even try out for team for various reasons that should have been on that team very easily. Two teams that people are over looking this year are Harry Ainlay and Foothills Composite. Neither team lost a whole lot of players from last year and both were very good last year.
Top 3 teams from the North
1 Harry Ainlay
2 Oleary
3Jasper Place or St Fx

Calgary area
1 BOB very good last year and lost 2 players
2Western Canada Were a young team last year and will be tough this year
3Sir Winston The ball will see 5 players now

South Teams
1 Lci They will have to work for it.
2 Medicine Hat Always tough
3 Cardston I put them in cause will have 5 returnees from Provincial champ team.

1 Foothills play where ever,but they will be TOUGH no matter where they play.
One thing to look at at the start of the year are teams that either have good volleyball teams or good football teams. They will be a little slower to develop cause lots of the basketball players play one of these other sports as well and the finals for football and volleyball are late in November and these teams and coaches dont get a whole lot of time together till mid December at the earliest.

Any of these teams have ashot at the title this year and I am sure there will be a few more that play very well as the year progresses.

As for LCI has to be # 1right now I think your wrong. If your going strictly by players and experience I would go with
1 H. A.
2 Foothills
3 LCI
4,5,6 you could put Oleary, BOB Cardston MHHS Western Canada SWC ST FX anywhere in there.
These last teams will give those top 3 a good game on any given night.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys 4A   Today at 10:57 pm

Back to top Go down

Senior Boys 4A
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next