HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Jr Boys Provincials

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Jr Boys Provincials   Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:17 am

Does anyone happen to know the breakdown of berths for this season's Jr Boys' Provincials?

Quote :
The 2013 Tournament has been expanded based on the sentiment of coaches at the 2012 Coaches Meeting.

•There are 9 zones, plus the host berth = 10 berths. At minimum each zone received one berth to ensure representation of each zone.
•9 of the other berths are awarded due to representation by population.
•One berth will be awarded as an At Large Berth.

Last year's information:
Region Berths for 2013 for 20 Teams
1) Kootenays 1
2) Okanagan 3
3) NW BC 1
4) NC BC 1
5) Van Island 3
6) Vancouver  1
7) Independent  1
V and D 2
9) Fraser Valley  5
10 ) Host 1
At Large 1
Total 20
BCHSBBA site shows it may be expanded to 24 teams?

Considering it's being hosted at the LEC I assume the host berth will go elsewhere?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bchoopscoop.ca
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys Provincials   Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:10 am

In case anyone was wondering, Jr Boys' provincials will be hosted by Fleetwood Park for the next two years and the tournament director is Kerry Taylor.

It seems like they were contemplating expanding it to 24 teams but looks like it will stay at 20 teams. I had inquired about the berthing and it's supposed to be similar if not exactly the same as last year's.

They will be doing a monthly top 10 Jr. Boys ranking based on wins/losses and I would assume taking into consideration strength of schedule - this will be posted on the BCHSBBA site after Dec 21st results are submitted. Note the onus is on the coaches to submit their schedule and their results.
Back to top Go down
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys Provincials   Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:14 pm

Coach Yash wrote:
In case anyone was wondering, Jr Boys' provincials will be hosted by Fleetwood Park for the next two years and the tournament director is Kerry Taylor..
Interesting, I thought the Jr. provincials was originally being planned to take place at the LEC along with the other Sr. Provincials. What happened?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys Provincials   Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:18 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
Coach Yash wrote:
In case anyone was wondering, Jr Boys' provincials will be hosted by Fleetwood Park for the next two years and the tournament director is Kerry Taylor..
Interesting, I thought the Jr. provincials was originally being planned to take place at the LEC along with the other Sr. Provincials. What happened?

Just re-read the email that was sent out. Kerry's based out of Fleetwood so they're "hosting" (organizing?) it but it's still being played out of the LEC. Not too sure if that means they get a host bid.
Back to top Go down
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys Provincials   Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:01 pm

Taken from: http://www.bcboysbasketball.com/leagues/custom_page.cfm?leagueID=0&clientID=2192&pageID=9368

Langley Events Centre
(Host School – Fleetwood Park Secondary – Surrey)

Berthing Announcement !!!

This year the Championships will expand for the 2nd year in a row from 20 teams to 24. (We anticipate a possible further expansion in 2015 to 32 teams!!!)
As a result of our ability to Host 24 teams (up 4 from last year and 8 from the previous years) the Berths will be allocated as follow –

Berths = 24

Kootenays - 1
Northwest - 1
North Central - 1
Okanagan - 3
Van. Island - 3
V & D - 3
Vancouver - 2
Independent - 1
Fraser Valley - 6
Host - 1

At Large Berths - 2

Total = 24

We will accept submissions at the end of February from any team wishing to be considered for one of the 2 “At Large Berths.” We will be using strength of schedule and results against top teams in determining the final 2 berths.

Kerry Taylor
Tournament Coordinator
Taylor_k@surreyschools.ca
Back to top Go down
Fox941

PostSubject: How many Junior Top 10's are there....   Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:47 pm

Kerry Taylor contacted coaches at the start of year to submit their results to him and he would be coordinating the Jr Top 10

Hope fully coaches will continue to promote teams that are playing well.... and report scores.... but unless you are going to invest time contacting alot of coaches about who they have played and how they are doing.... how do you put forward a top 10?.....

yes... rankings do encourage debate....

Last edited by Fox941 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : be more clear...)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys Provincials   Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:08 pm

Fox941 wrote:
Kerry Taylor contacted coaches at the start of year to submit their results to him and he would be coordinating the Jr Top 10.... I've already seen at least 2 other "people"... not necessarily coaches putting thier "ideas" forward on this topic..... can we please stop with "Here's the Top 10 Junior Boys Teams"..... trust that Kerry is doing the best job he can asking for game results from alot of teams to try and get an idea about who is "ranking worthy" in Junior.... so few teams play out of their league or geographical area.... it is hard....

This is an open forum to discuss High School basketball, we all have our own views and can freely discuss BC basketball however we like, just as 'Ebe' wrote in a Sr thread "Remember rankings are intended to create interest and debate about who people think should be ranked. Clearly the rankings are accomplishing this so keep up the arguments and debate that what makes it fun." We are all fans of the game and its forums like these that allow us fans to share our opinions on the players, the teams, the sport. No one here has said that Kerry is doing anything but the best job he can. This is a "Free Forum" and was made with the purpose to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast, which include rankings etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HF

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys Provincials   Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:16 pm

Coach Yash wrote:
Taken from: http://www.bcboysbasketball.com/leagues/custom_page.cfm?leagueID=0&clientID=2192&pageID=9368

Langley Events Centre
(Host School – Fleetwood Park Secondary – Surrey)

Berthing Announcement !!!

This year the Championships will expand for the 2nd year in a row from 20 teams to 24.  (We anticipate a possible further expansion in 2015 to 32 teams!!!)
As a result of our ability to Host 24 teams (up 4 from last year and 8 from the previous years) the Berths will be allocated as follow –

Berths = 24

Kootenays -                         1
Northwest -                         1
North Central -                    1
Okanagan -                         3
Van. Island -                       3
V & D -                                3
Vancouver -                        2
Independent -                     1
Fraser Valley -                    6
Host -                                   1

At Large Berths -                 2

Total =                                24

We will accept submissions at the end of February from any team wishing to be considered for one of the 2 “At Large Berths.”  We will be using strength of schedule and results against top teams in determining the final 2 berths.

Kerry Taylor
Tournament Coordinator
Taylor_k@surreyschools.ca

If the host school is in the top 6 in the FV does that mean the 7th place team gets in from the Valley ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys Provincials   Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:01 pm

I would assume yes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys Provincials   Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:44 pm

No need to worry, Fleetwood just lost to Walnut Grove.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketball4ever

PostSubject: Jr boys provincials   Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:18 am

Every list i have seen, none of them have even considered or thought of adding Kitsilano to their top ten list. No one can count out Kits this year. We all know that they have lost some key players to the senior squad but you must never count out this team. Especially this year, this team has showed heart, a desire to win and ultimately hustle. This team will face any team and come out to play. They beat Killarney, they beat churchill, they also beat Lambrick park which most of you have said to be a contender for the provincial title. This team is tough and brings a certain panache to the court. They grind and play the game with their hearts on their sleeves. This team should definitely be acknowledged.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys Provincials   Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:35 am

basketball4ever wrote:
Every list i have seen, none of them have even considered or thought of adding Kitsilano to their top ten list. No one can count out Kits this year. We all know that they have lost some key players to the senior squad but you must never count out this team. Especially this year, this team has showed heart, a desire to win and ultimately hustle. This team will face any team and come out to play. They beat Killarney, they beat churchill, they also beat Lambrick park which most of you have said to be a contender for the provincial title. This team is tough and brings a certain panache to the court. They grind and play the game with their hearts on their sleeves. This team should definitely be acknowledged.

#24 Vincent Cao is one to watch - kid is a great talent and you can tell he really loves to play ball. Won't be surprised if he rises up some people's player rankings over the next two years. #33, Arian Tabrizi, is a solid piece to their team as well, really like what he brings to the table.
Back to top Go down
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys Provincials   Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:26 am

Teams that have qualified (from what I've gathered):

Vancouver
Killarney
Kitsilano

Host - Fleetwood Park

Independents - St. Thomas More

Wildcards (3 berths)
Vancouver College
Cowichan
Yale

Fraser Valley
Panorama Ridge
Walnut Grove
WJ Mouat
Tamanawis
Lord Tweedsmuir
Terry Fox

Vancouver & District
McMath
Palmer
West Van

North West BC - Charles Hays

North Central BC
- Duchess Park

Vancouver Island
Dover Bay
Lambrick Park
Oak Bay

Kootenays - ?

Okanagan
Kelowna
South Kamloops
South Okanagan

Teams are in order based on their regional tournament's final standings.

Last edited by Coach Yash on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:39 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
HF

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys Provincials   Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:37 am

Coach Yash wrote:
Teams that have qualified (from what I've gathered):

Vancouver
Killarney
Kitsilano

Host - Fleetwood Park

Independents - St. Thomas More

Wildcards (3 berths)
Vancouver College

Fraser Valley (not in final order)
Walnut Grove
WJ Mouat
Panorama Ridge
Tamanawis

Vancouver & District
McMath
Palmer
West Van

North West BC - Charles Hays

North Central BC
- Duchess Park

How are the wildcards determined? Who chooses them? What is the criteria? If a team like Holy Cross or Delta who had great seasons but loses a game at the wrong time...are they considered? How did VC get selected ? Appreciate any inside knowledge. Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys Provincials   Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:41 am

TC wrote:

How are the wildcards determined? Who chooses them? What is the criteria? If a team like Holy Cross or Delta who had great seasons but loses a game at the wrong time...are they considered? How did VC get selected ? Appreciate any inside knowledge. Thanks

My honest answer is I have zero inside knowledge, I just made that list based off what was on the forum and a recent document that was sent to coaches that have qualified for the tournament. I believe you apply for the wildcard berths in writing to the tournament organizer and they consider: strength of schedule, overall record, past history (?), wins vs. ranked teams?? Otherwise I have no clue what the actual requirements are.
Back to top Go down
Fox941

PostSubject: A question   Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:58 am

TC a question.... Do Holy Cross and/or Delta have any Drive players on their roster?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D38Coach

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys Provincials   Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:37 am

Fox941 wrote:
TC a question.... Do Holy Cross and/or Delta have any Drive players on their roster?

Jas Singh and Jake Cowley are both Drive members. Two grade 9 studs who start on a young Delta team with lots of potential. Not too sure if anyone else on that team are Drive members..

Have never seen Holy Cross but have a couple of good players and not sure if Marcus Browne (Taylor Browne's younger brother) plays for Drive..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys Provincials   Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:12 am

D38Coach wrote:

Have never seen Holy Cross but have a couple of good players and not sure if Marcus Browne (Taylor Browne's younger brother) plays for Drive..

Marcus does play with Drive.
Back to top Go down
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys Provincials   Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:42 pm

Tournament website: http://www.langleyeventscentre.com/jrboysbball
Back to top Go down
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys Provincials   Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:48 pm

Fox and Tweedsmuir are the last 2 Valley teams in. Seeding still to be determined.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys Provincials   Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:43 am

JrCoachS wrote:
Fox and Tweedsmuir are the last 2 Valley teams in. Seeding still to be determined.

List on page 1 updated.
Back to top Go down
HF

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys Provincials   Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:18 pm

Coach Yash wrote:
JrCoachS wrote:

List on page 1 updated.

Any guesses on who the wildcard berths will go to ? I would think the valley would get both as they are the deepest zone with the most teams and were all over everybody's rankings this year. 2 teams that had great years only to have an off night and lose in playoffs is Holy Cross and Delta. I think either team could still win it all if given the chance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys Provincials   Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:46 pm

TC wrote:

Any guesses on who the wildcard berths will go to ? I would think the valley would get both as they are the deepest zone with the most teams and were all over everybody's rankings this year. 2 teams that had great years only to have an off night and lose in playoffs is Holy Cross and Delta. I think either team could still win it all if given the chance.

No clue. Once they share the entire team list with us, I'll update the list on page 1. I would assume they will have everything by Monday at the very latest as there are some administrative deadlines today/tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Fox941

PostSubject: BC's   Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:49 pm

Cowichan is a very good team off the island that didn't make it and they are better than Delta....delta got beat up in the sudden death round by a 22 seed.... So their body of work for the season may not get them there..... M.E.I. Looked good against Tamanawis..... Hard to say....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mariners

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys Provincials   Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:49 pm

Fox941 wrote:
Cowichan is a very good team off the island that didn't make it and they are better than Delta....delta got beat up in the sudden death round by a 22 seed.... So their body of work for the season may not get them there..... M.E.I. Looked good against Tamanawis..... Hard to say....

Earl Marriott is the 22 seed that beat Delta. They have a solid team, especially #11 James Karnik, 6'6 center with skills and great basketball IQ. They can match up against any team in the province. Also they got in to the top 8 tournament of the valleys, I think they have a shot for the wildcard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys Provincials   Today at 3:18 pm

Back to top Go down

Jr Boys Provincials
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next